Report: Jets will open on NBC’s Sunday Night Football against Cowboys

R. RyanCSI

A New York team will be playing on NBC’s Sunday Night Football on the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, but the Giants and Jets won’t be facing each other, as rumored.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports the Jets will host the Cowboys in Week One in primetime to kick off their season.

The Giants’ opener remains unknown.  Mehta reveals a bit more of the Jets’ early schedule: Week Two against the Jaguars, followed by three straight road games: Oakland, Baltimore, and New England.  The Jets will have a Week Eight bye, and they’ll finish the season in Miami.

Let the Rex Ryan-Rob Ryan trash talking begin.   (Or at least imagine it would begin if the league wasn’t in a senseless lockout.)

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Report: Jets will open on NBC’s Sunday Night Football against Cowboys”
  1. farmmbig says: Apr 19, 2011 4:16 PM

Maybe by that point, nobody will care?

2. sdisme says: Apr 19, 2011 4:21 PM

Green Bay will open the season with the Saints, not Chicago.

3. patriotsdefense says: Apr 19, 2011 4:22 PM

1-5

4. 52sackmachine says: Apr 19, 2011 4:24 PM

As much as I hate both of these teams, I hope that the jets win. Hope they pound Romo, just like I did, in highschool, right into the lockers. Just like Dallas sucks, so does Romo!

5. nyjalleffingday says: Apr 19, 2011 4:24 PM

Why isn’t it against the Giants? It makes more than enough sense. I was so sure that game would be against the Giants. Now i’m disappointed, damn you again, Goodell!!

6. ampats says: Apr 19, 2011 4:25 PM

Looks like another 0-1 start for the Newark Jets

7. Davo says: Apr 19, 2011 4:26 PM

Big opportunity lost. I’m neither a Jets nor Giants fan, but I live in the NY metro area, and that would have been a great opportunity for a great city to remember a terrible event in its history.

8. david7590 says: Apr 19, 2011 4:26 PM

That is stupid. On the tenth anniversary of 9/11 we should be opening up against the Giants in the first regular season game between the two in the new Stadium.

9. geauxjay says: Apr 19, 2011 4:30 PM

You know, Washington was attacked on September 11 too. But go ahead. Jerry Jones is probably arrogant enough to believe that this day should be about him and his team.

10. Tri-State Yanks says: Apr 19, 2011 4:31 PM

Would be a bad move by the NFL not to set NYG and NYJ on Sunday night football on 9/11 anniversary. Both teams cannot play a home game that day, so this would be the best compromise available.

11. Lou Pickney says: Apr 19, 2011 4:33 PM

I feel like I’m playing Clue with this. If Week 17 will have NYJ/MIA, it also means that the Bills and Patriots will be playing in Week 17.

12. brewcityitalian says: Apr 19, 2011 4:35 PM

Bears at Lions on MNF October 10 – Book it !

13. jmphinsfan says: Apr 19, 2011 4:36 PM

Giants will be @ Washington to open the season.

Class move by the schedule makers to give all teams impacted by the tragedy of 9-11 something special on the 10 yr anniversary.

14. ampats says: Apr 19, 2011 4:40 PM

I have to agree with the jets fans, should have been Giants/Jets on 9/11

15. smootysmoot says: Apr 19, 2011 4:59 PM

@ampats

Seriously???? They r playing the Cowboys. I think the Jets will be just fine!

16. colinsnooks says: Apr 19, 2011 5:07 PM

Why a picture of Rex Ryan and Jim Belushi? There was no picture of Jason Garrett and John Goodman?

17. thefiesty1 says: Apr 19, 2011 5:22 PM

Oh, good. I think I have something else to do that night. The Jets with Rex’s mouth and the cow babies, you’ve got to be kidding me.

18. schmitty2 says: Apr 19, 2011 5:27 PM

perfect matchup-arrogant coach vs arrogant owner

19. jpmelon says: Apr 19, 2011 5:27 PM

@ 52sackmachine

I hope I missed the sarcasm in your comment, but if you really think it’s awesome to have been a bully you’ve got a lot of growing up to do.

Now as for the cowboy’s losing…I’m a little torn on the issue. I hate the Cowboys but I hate the Jets more. I (along with many other people reading this) would have preferred Jets Vs. Giants. So in this case, I think I’ll be rooting for the cowboys only because the Jets are in my teams division. Otherwise, I’d say that New York deserves to win on Sept. 11.

20. phinfan says: Apr 19, 2011 5:28 PM

So your saying its the Girls vs. the Cowgirls?

21. gorilladunk says: Apr 19, 2011 5:30 PM

@52sackmachine…so you pounded Romo in high school, huh? He’s getting ready for another NFL campaign where his team will open the season in prime time and you’re posting on profootballtalk.com. Wonder who was able to get past high school and make something of themselves and their life? Go ahead and pull out your yearbook and high school letter jacket and go down to Applebee’s and sit at the bar and tell them how great you were.

22. melonnhead says: Apr 19, 2011 5:38 PM

—————————————————

Dude, Romo’s in the NFL making millions! You’re on a blog talking about yesteryear like it’s relevant. Yes I will have some fries with that, Uncle Rico.

23. xsorethumbx says: Apr 19, 2011 5:50 PM

The Jets are two time defending champs and havent lost a game since Rex arrived. Who wouldnt want to watch the perfect team with the all time best defense in the history of football?

24. schmitty2 says: Apr 19, 2011 6:10 PM

52sackmachine says:
    Apr 19, 2011 4:24 PM

52sackmachine..I understand you. If they have put me in the 4th quarter,,we would have won state..I would have went on to the pros..made millions and lived in a mansion Sincerely, Uncle Rico

25. 8man says: Apr 19, 2011 6:19 PM

On a paper it’s a compelling matchup. But that is where the rest of the schedule will be…on paper.

And without any surety that it will be on the field or on TV, I’m just not that interested.

26. a55hol says: Apr 19, 2011 6:50 PM

Lost in the 9/11 talk, as it should be, is the fact that the Ryan brothers will be coaching against each other.

27. iownyou2 says: Apr 19, 2011 6:52 PM

ampats says: Apr 19, 2011 4:25 PM

Looks like another 0-1 start for the Newark Jets
    ——————————————————

Neither the Jets game field or practice facility are in Newark soooooooo nice one you ignorant piece of Patriots garbage, still bitter from last year huh.

28. lostsok says: Apr 19, 2011 6:56 PM

The only thing I would KILL to have control over: Thanksgiving. We MUST get the Lions off that date. Screw tradition! I want a watchable game on Thanksgiving, and the Lions have ruined it for 20 freakin’ years!

29. robsterny says: Apr 20, 2011 1:02 PM

@ farmmbig;
    “Makes me wonder what type of public outcry will occur if this league isn’t playing football on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.”

If all YOU and others can think about on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 is FOOTBALL…Then I would rather not have a season. Where do you idiots come from?