Agent: Mallett “really sick,” in bed by 10 before canceled Panthers visit

Allstate Sugar Bowl - Ohio State v Arkansas Getty Images

One of the agents for Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is vehemently denying the report that a night on the town in Charlotte caused Mallett to cancel a visit with the Panthers the next morning.

Adam Schefter of ESPN quotes agent J.R. Carroll as saying that on the night in question, April 8, Mallett had dinner in Charlotte with Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones, and that Mallett headed back to his hotel room when he didn’t feel well.

“I’ll tell you this — Ryan was in his hotel room by about 10 o’clock,” Carroll said.

Carroll said Mallett did meet with Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski the next morning, but he had to miss the rest of that day’s planned meetings — because he had genuinely fallen ill, not because he was hung over or bleary-eyed from a long night out.

“I’m pretty sure Ryan was really, really sick,” Carroll said. “He told me he was sick the night before. And I know Ryan wasn’t out late night. I know that for sure. He’s not an idiot.”

Knowing that there are rumors of drug use and red flags stemming from a 2009 arrest for public intoxication, Mallett would have to be either an idiot or a person with a serious problem to go out partying and miss what could have been the biggest job interview of his life.

His agent is obviously going to say he’s neither an idiot nor a person with a serious problem. We’ll find out next week what NFL teams believe.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Agent: Mallett “really sick,” in bed by 10 before canceled Panthers visit”
  1. hobartbaker says: Apr 20, 2011 2:05 PM

Mallett went back to the hotel early. That’s where his rig was.

2. biggerballz says: Apr 20, 2011 2:06 PM

yeah sick with alcohol poisoning

3. tomwill21 says: Apr 20, 2011 2:06 PM

I want to buy that bridge in Brooklyn you’re selling too…

4. whitetail28 says: Apr 20, 2011 2:10 PM

Toughen up…Little boy. Ive never missed a day in my life due to illness… just sayin

5. jdandcoke says: Apr 20, 2011 2:11 PM

jeezuz enough with this kid. SOME team IS going to draft him and he WILL make more money in the next 5-10 years of his life than most of us can even comprehend. the kid is NOT going to NOT have a job in the nfl…..stop with these dumbazz stories already.

6. thephantomstranger says: Apr 20, 2011 2:14 PM

The Panthers probably know the truth about this incident, and they love that many other teams would love to know what really happened.

7. raiderinpa says: Apr 20, 2011 2:15 PM

Must have been more impressed by the Charlotte nightlife than the Panthers…. It IS a fun town to party in…

“I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I’m here to party.” Cal Naughton, Jr.

Here’s to Mallett falling to the Raiders in the 3rd…

8. rowdymon says: Apr 20, 2011 2:15 PM

Ryan, Brett waited until he got a contract to have a good time.

9. conseannery says: Apr 20, 2011 2:19 PM

I’ll tell you this — Ryan was in his hotel room by about 10 o’clock in the morning,” Carroll said.

There, fixed.

10. goodguyjohn says: Apr 20, 2011 2:22 PM

If there wasn’t a rookie salary cap in play, he would have been there an hour early to meet with the Panthers.

Of all this year’s QB’s, Gabbert looks to be the can’t miss kid.

Newton and Mallet will be mixin’ Purple Drank 2 years from now

11. spartyfi says: Apr 20, 2011 2:23 PM

@jdandcoke: if he stopped with these stories then what would you do to feel like a tough guy??? This is a BLOG buddy, do you know what that means? Also, this IS pertinent NFL info whether you like it or not. Did someone hold a gun to your head and make you read it? NO? Then STFU! This isn’t your world that we’re all living in. People like you make me sick! If you don’t like it, keep on surfin’, no need to stop and read the article. Not everything in life is designed with you in mind you ignorant buffoon.

12. rushbacker says: Apr 20, 2011 2:25 PM

This kid has more red flags than Arrowhead Stadium.

13. Tim says: Apr 20, 2011 2:25 PM

Must be a little dope-sick

14. descendency says: Apr 20, 2011 2:27 PM

Isn’t 5 pm a little early to start binge drinking?

15. mattsffrd says: Apr 20, 2011 2:32 PM

damage control!

16. vcstriker16 says: Apr 20, 2011 2:32 PM

“I’m pretty sure Ryan was really, really sick”.

That’s too many reallys to be trusted. This is strange though b/c agents almost never lie.

17. nflguru12 says: Apr 20, 2011 2:35 PM

I dont care about these stories, all I care about is some team taking Ryan (Leaf) Mallett before the Packers pick at #32, so it’s one more guy who falls to us.

18. ndgarretjax says: Apr 20, 2011 2:36 PM

“I’m pretty sure” ? …

19. 7pints says: Apr 20, 2011 2:36 PM

I was 100% sure he stayed out partying and therefore was hungover as hell, but then his agent said that wasn’t the case, so I have changed my opinion. lol.

20. 44kyle says: Apr 20, 2011 2:38 PM

If he was really sick, he should have been smart enough to document it by some means. Too important to treat lightly.

21. abengalfan says: Apr 20, 2011 2:38 PM

And Mikey Brown is getting a woody reading this.
    Some see a bust QB, Mikey sees another lost soul to redeem.
    Winning is merely secondary to Mikey. Besides when a team wins consistantly, well the players want to be paid more.
    Higher payroll cuts into Mikey’s annual GM bonus, can’t have that.

(note to fans of other teams; GM bonus is no joke, he really pays himself one every year)

22. shadilyn says: Apr 20, 2011 2:42 PM

Living in the Charlotte and frequenting a number of eating establishments in the past, I believe his agent 100%.

23. tryagainplease says: Apr 20, 2011 2:48 PM

‘His agent is obviously going to say he’s neither an idiot nor a person with a serious problem.’

and you all are obviously going to do your best to imply the opposite– as certain as death and taxes…

24. zoxitic says: Apr 20, 2011 2:53 PM

Sunday Oct 24th, 9:30am – 1 message – Beep

Hi coach, it’s Ryan. I won’t be able to make it to the game today. I’m really sick.

25. pftdabomb says: Apr 20, 2011 2:57 PM

Sounds like some one is spreading rumors so that he drops to them in the late 1st/early 2nd round….

26. heypapi6975 says: Apr 20, 2011 2:59 PM

I felt a little sick today too….sick of hearing all these damn rumors!!! It’s unbelievable. One arrest for public intoxication…who the hell cares??? I swear that all this crap is being said because of the way he talks. Mark Sanchez was arrested in college for sexual assault….no one cared about that at all! And now he banged a 17 year old. Alcohol is LEGAL. Everyone needs to get off their high horse and realize he’s 22. I can’t believe he’s getting grilled this bad.

27. ezmoover says: Apr 20, 2011 3:01 PM

I’ll bet that less than 5% of all these sports writers, bloggers and draftnik hacks could handle all the national character assassination crap that these 22 year old guys have to put up with virtually every single day!

Who’s really the tough guys and who’s really the gutless pansies?

28. gregjennings85 says: Apr 20, 2011 3:03 PM

spartyfi:

You should have told him how you really felt. Next time, don’t hold back.

29. mainevent7567 says: Apr 20, 2011 3:15 PM

TomWill21, way to be genuine… taking song lyrics.. real cool LOL

30. saintsfan1111 says: Apr 20, 2011 3:26 PM

Get the keycode record for that door.

31. tformation says: Apr 20, 2011 3:27 PM

Kids, please remember that this is the week before the draft. Teams spread negative rumors about players that team likes, so player X has a better chance of falling to them.

Believe me, if he’s the second coming of Jamarcus Russel, I’ll gleefully slam him as fast as anyone on this site. But, remember misinformation is the name of the game this time of year.

32. leatherhelmets says: Apr 20, 2011 3:34 PM

I truly can’t wait for the next PFT story on Mallett. The anticipation is killing us.

33. Deb says: Apr 20, 2011 3:46 PM

@spartyfi …

You go there, fella! :lol:

@whitetail28 …

Oh come on. I drove to radiation treatments every morning, then went to work for a full day and had chemo on Fridays so I could be back at work on Monday. But I did call in sick w/the flu. Didn’t make me any less tough.

34. rockymtnphinfan says: Apr 20, 2011 3:54 PM

Let him fall to the phins please!

Smokescreen is in full effect!!

35. FlikeMorio says: Apr 20, 2011 3:54 PM

Presumed cause(s) of illness: Xanax and Colt 45.

36. thefiesty1 says: Apr 20, 2011 4:18 PM

Show up and ask to reschedule because you sick. The opportunity of a lifetime can’t wait on a head cold.

37. tombradysponytail says: Apr 20, 2011 4:39 PM

Deb says:

————-

Just curious, is there any life experience you haven’t had?

38. shaggytoodle says: Apr 20, 2011 5:51 PM

Party like a rock star, but there still has to be a show.

NFL players play sick all of the time.

You show up look them in the eye, let them know whats up, and this story doesn’t happen.

39. Deb says: Apr 20, 2011 6:10 PM

@tombradysponytail …

If fate would let me trade, I’d gladly give up the cancer battles.

Any life experience I haven’t had?

Ask me when I’m finished ;)

40. Deb says: Apr 20, 2011 6:12 PM

@tombradysponytail …

Incidentally, driving a half hour to radiation treatments, then back to work all day, then getting chemo every third week wasn’t nearly as glamorous as it sounds. No need for you to be so resentful.

ROFL