Flozell Adams plans to continue playing, as a starter

Mike Wallace, Flozell Adams AP

Steelers team president Art Rooney said earlier this offseason that the team wanted tackle Flozell Adams back on the team in 2011.

The feeling is mutual.

After saying that he was considering retirement shortly after Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl loss, Adams’ agent confirmed to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Adams plans to play this season.

“We will need to talk to Pitt [once the lockout is over] and determine his role and if it will be with the Steelers,” agent Jordan Woy said.

Translation: Flozell wants to start.   We don’t blame him after a rock solid 2010 campaign.   Due $5 million next year, there was some thought the Steelers could ask Adams to take a paycut if he was being brought back as a backup.

We’d bet on Adams staying put.  The Steelers could draft Adams’ replacement next week, and let Adams walk after 2011.  It appears that the team is going to let tackle Willie Colon leave via free agency.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Flozell Adams plans to continue playing, as a starter”
  1. abninf says: Apr 22, 2011 9:48 AM

“False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″. “False start, number 76″. “Holding, number 76″.

2. fat4jc says: Apr 22, 2011 10:23 AM

what an uninformed comment. Adams, in the midst of adapting to playing right tackle, was very good last year, and was not flagged NEARLY as much as he was in Dallas.

3. 3octaveFart says: Apr 22, 2011 10:51 AM

fat4jc says: Apr 22, 2011 10:23 AM

“Adams, in the midst of adapting to playing right tackle, was very good last year, and was not flagged NEARLY as much as he was in Dallas.”

That’s what happens with the proper evaluation and the right coaching. Something Dallas hasn’t figured out yet.

4. deljzc says: Apr 22, 2011 10:54 AM

Flozell Adams had 3 false start/holding penalties in the entire 2010 season. Willie Colon averaged 8 in the previous three seasons (23 total).

I was pleasantly surprised by Adams’ performance and thought he was a great locker room guy too. I really hope he comes back and starts. In fact, I would be interested in Willie Colon too at RG if he’d be willing to move positions and take a reasonable contract.

5. myspaceyourface says: Apr 22, 2011 10:59 AM

Flozell is a better fit at right tackele. . . I thought he and Pouncey brought a nasty attitude to that team. . . I would be happy to have him back. . . . . . Hopefull Max is back too.

6. dccowboy says: Apr 22, 2011 11:24 AM

“Rock Solid”?

If ‘Rock Solid’ is allowing 6 sacks, 4 QB hits, and 30 QB pressures and being an average run blocker, then I guess I don’t understand the meaning of the phrase.

7. janno88 says: Apr 22, 2011 11:37 AM

What do all those flags on Chris Hoke have to do with Flozell Adams?

8. johanneskrauser2 says: Apr 22, 2011 11:53 AM

I don’t know about Flozell. I guess the Steelers haven’t much choice. I know I wasn’t feeling too good watching the Super Bowl pregame and I swear they showed him using a cane to walk (getting off the plane at least). Then he may have had his worst game in the SB.

9. cup1981 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:02 PM

dccowboy says:
    Apr 22, 2011 11:24 AM
    “Rock Solid”?

—————————————————-

First off, consider who he’s blocking for. Roethlisberger says himself that he holds onto the ball way too long. One of the reasons us Pittsburgh fans love and hate him.

Secondly, I don’t know where you get your “stats” from, but QB sacks, pressures and knockdowns are not always the fault of that lineman. He may pancake a guy, like Flozell does a lot, and slide to help a guard. Next thing, the guy is up and pressures Ben.

Lastly, calling him an “average” run blocker is just idiotic. Watch Mendenhall’s runs last year. He always ran behind either Kemoeatu of Adams — more Adams though. He was a superb run blocker all year.

I hope he is back and in full swing next year. I just want to see him not get hurt in every game. He never missed a game, but missed plenty of snaps.

10. oldbyrd says: Apr 22, 2011 12:05 PM

Truth…The bum had a good year. So what happened in Dallas???

11. wtf2812 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:13 PM

I read and read all the sentiments from Dallas fans about Flozell’s problems with holding and false starts prior to last season.

Then I watched him play and, frankly, I didn’t see any of that here. I don’t know what the heck happened in Dallas, but he was pretty consistent as a Steeler.

If I had any criticism of his play, I would say he isn’t too fleet afoot. But when you consider his size and age, I guess you will have that.

Surely he has one more decent season left in that huge gas tank.

12. hobartbaker says: Apr 22, 2011 12:30 PM

Go with the Flo? Back up the Colon? So many questions.

13. Deb says: Apr 22, 2011 12:55 PM

@janno88 …

ROFL … I was wondering the same thing!

@oldbyrd …

For one thing, he’s deaf in one ear and the Cowboys had him playing the wrong side. And Kugler, our new offensive line coach, is a serious teacher. That can make all the difference in the world if you have a vet who’s willing to learn. From what I understand, Flozell was an extremely enthusiastic player who was anxious to improve his game.

I have concerns about his age, speed, and durability–he seemed to suffer a lot of injuries, particularly toward the season’s end. But when both coaches and teammates heap that much praise on a player, you know the guy is doing something right. As has been pointed out, he was an excellent run blocker and drew fewer penalty flags than Colon the season before. I don’t think he’s a permanent replacement for Colon, but would like to make use of him as much as possible.

14. 1bigtex says: Apr 22, 2011 12:56 PM

Wow, I wasn’t aware that Flozell’s release in Dallas was all the fault of the coaching staff. I thought that, like many veterans, he was no longer worth the money he was owed on the backend of his contract. I guess anytime some veteran who is owed a bunch of money gets cut now, it will be the fault of the coaching staff. That’s good information to have. Thanks.

15. thefiesty1 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:58 PM

He was DONE when he was with Dallas. I don’t believe Rooney really wants him. That’s not a typical move by the Steelers.

16. barklikeadog says: Apr 22, 2011 6:43 PM