Tiki’s agent knew broadcasting career was going poorly right away

T. BarberRonde

The Bucs don’t appear interested in signing Tiki Barber, but that wasn’t the case in 2007.

Ian O’Conner of ESPNNewYork.com writes that Tiki met with Jon Gruden and former Bucs G.M. Bruce Allen for drinks midway through the 2007 season, with Gruden putting on a full court press to sign Tiki for the stretch run.  Barber’s agent was all for it, because he didn’t like how Barber’s broadcast career was starting out.

“I was pushing for it hard,” Lepselter said, “because I already knew things weren’t going in the right direction for Tiki.”   (Tiki says thanks for the support.)

At the end of the meeting, Tiki said he’d join the team.  He changed his mind soon thereafter, sort of like he’s changed his mind this offseason after four years away from the game.

“With my life stagnating, and feeling like I wasn’t really doing anything, I realized I still love the game of football,” Barber told O’Conner of his latest decision to return.   “I’d lost my way, and then I realized this is what I still want to do.”

UPDATE: The Giants won’t file tampering charges, in case you were curious.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Tiki’s agent knew broadcasting career was going poorly right away”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: Apr 22, 2011 11:09 AM

“I’d lost my way, and then I realized this is what I still want to do.”

Translation: I’m going broke, and have no other viable options.

2. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 22, 2011 11:11 AM

How does unretiring make up for cheating on your pregnant wife and shacking up with some college-aged tart?

3. bigbrad184 says: Apr 22, 2011 11:11 AM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy, eh?

4. nps6724 says: Apr 22, 2011 11:15 AM

“I already knew things weren’t going in the right direction for Tiki.”

Duh. It required him to open his mouth.

5. krow101 says: Apr 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Too bad they didn’t press it. Those extra draft picks for tampering would have come in handy. Good to know who the dirtbags are though.

6. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 22, 2011 11:15 AM

=====================

Translation—“I lost my cushy TV gig, I became a tabloid punchline, and my ex is soaking me for child support and alimony. I figured it was either this or taking that Nutrisystem commerical….”

7. wwwfella says: Apr 22, 2011 11:16 AM

translation-” I need money and the only talent i have is on the field”

8. nj22 says: Apr 22, 2011 11:18 AM

Did you realize it was going poorly before or after he “accidentally” called a co-host the C-Word on national TV??

9. kazwhopper says: Apr 22, 2011 11:25 AM

I really have a strong dislike for Tiki Barber.

10. laeaglefan says: Apr 22, 2011 11:52 AM

Tiki’s best talent is in fumbling…..both the football and life in general.

11. zoxitic says: Apr 22, 2011 11:57 AM

And Eli Manning wasn’t a leader, huh?

12. Trzoutman says: Apr 22, 2011 11:59 AM

Whooooo cares?

13. benh999 says: Apr 22, 2011 11:59 AM

Does anyone like this guy? Even if has managed to stay in football shape, he would probably have a tough time making a roster. Combined with the utter hostility he showed his old teammates and coaches after retiring, no one in their right mind will pick him up. Not even the Raiders.

14. axespray says: Apr 22, 2011 12:03 PM

UPDATE: The Giants won’t file tampering charges, in case you were curious.

Probably cause the commissioner would turn a blind eye to it (unless it’s detriot doing the tampering) ?

15. unclehilroy says: Apr 22, 2011 12:15 PM

“Tiki’s agent knew broadcasting career was going poorly right away”. Newsflash: so did everyone else.

16. Kave Krew says: Apr 22, 2011 12:32 PM

Life has a way of humbling pompous twits.

17. airraid77 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:36 PM

the guy became irrelevant the minute the giants won the superbowl. He lost a lot of credibility.
    I want to know who told teams would be lined up to sign a 36 year old Running back?

18. capslockkey says: Apr 22, 2011 12:39 PM

Tiki just needs to fade away into obscurity already.

19. Deb says: Apr 22, 2011 12:44 PM

You can only get so far in broadcasting by talking about how much you old team sucks … especially when they win the Super Bowl the year after you leave.

(Are PFT’s ads supposed to match my surfing history? Suddenly getting freaky ads that really don’t fit. :shock:)

20. cover2blitz0 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:46 PM

gruden trying to sign a veteran player? lies all lies…

21. genericcommenter says: Apr 22, 2011 12:48 PM

Um. So how was he going to join Tampa Bay while he was still with the Giants? Giants were just going to do him a favor?

22. thesmiteofthewicked says: Apr 22, 2011 12:48 PM

A contemptible, selfish jerk not working out on TV, who could have seen THAT coming???

23. jhorton83 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:48 PM

He should have listened to his agent back in 2007. Because in 2011, nobody’s going to be interested in a 36-year-old running back who’s been out of the game for 4 years. Except maybe the UFL.

24. thefiesty1 says: Apr 22, 2011 1:07 PM

Well, DUH! Why can’t he just fade away? He’s beyond the point of resurrecting his career.

25. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Apr 22, 2011 1:46 PM

Who’s Lepselter?

(Yes, I know it’s his agent, but I’m making a point. No one apparently reads the AP Stylebook on this blog.)

26. waldoampere says: Apr 22, 2011 2:03 PM

“Tiki just needs to fade away into obscurity already.”

I thought he already had.

27. brintfatre says: Apr 22, 2011 2:14 PM

Expect to see him on the sidelines for ESPN’s MNF with Matt Millen if there’s a season this year…

28. chiefswarpath87 says: Apr 22, 2011 2:16 PM

Tiki is such a piece of crap. He left his pregnant wife for a 20 year old floozy, unfairly criticized Eli Manning ( Manning then led Tiki’s former team to a Super Bowl Championship), and now wants to get back in the NFL because he managed to screw up everything in his life. I hope nobody signs this idiot. How can 1 embryo create one loser and one good winner (his twin Ronde). Hopefully Tiki spends the rest of his days working a 9 to 5 like the rest of us.

29. JimmySmith says: Apr 22, 2011 2:39 PM

Gruden should have offered Tiki a couple of college age interns to seal the deal. Tiki doesn’t understand that karma is going to rear its ulgy head for the rest of his sad, morally bankrupt life.

Update us when they foreclose on this double wide trailer and confiscate his 1989 Ford Taurus.

30. 44kyle says: Apr 22, 2011 3:02 PM

Being Tiki’s agent is kinda like being Captain of the Titanic.

31. tatum064 says: Apr 25, 2011 1:04 AM

I knew it was the minute he was on that Fox and Friends nonsense….