Toomer on Goodell-Gestapo link: “I didn’t fully understand the meaning”

Amani Toomer AP

A day after former Giants receiver Amani Toomer referred to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s dealings with players as “a Gestapo-type situation,” Toomer issued an apology.

“Obviously I didn’t fully understand the meaning of what I said,” Toomer said in a statement. “I do now. It was a stupid, inappropriate and offensive thing to say. I apologize for my choice of words, and I apologize to Commissioner Goodell for the offensive characterization.”

Toomer said he gave more thought to what he had said after the media “rightfully [had] taken me to task for my remarks.”

So although Toomer still doesn’t seem to think too highly of Goodell, he no longer views Goodell as similar to the Nazi secret police.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Toomer on Goodell-Gestapo link: “I didn’t fully understand the meaning””
  1. thetechnocrat says: Apr 22, 2011 6:52 AM

Another player demonstrating their ignorance. They should really just shut up about everything. All they are doing is showing why they don’t deserve more. Who doesn’t know what gestapo means? Oh right, people who never had to study anything because they could run fast.

2. thetechnocrat says: Apr 22, 2011 6:54 AM

Ahnold, ” i think it’s a toomah.”
    RG, “No, it’s an NFL player. I see how you could be confused.”

3. schlereth says: Apr 22, 2011 7:07 AM

The same equation.
    Ignorant player + big mouth=apology
    Who the f*** cares?

4. lhaveprettyfeet says: Apr 22, 2011 7:12 AM

Stupid is as stupid does.

5. onedaygm says: Apr 22, 2011 7:19 AM

This is funny that Amani Toomer is using the most common and poorest excuse of “I didn’t know” I mean did he not have to go to history class at Michigan or high school?

6. flyerscup2010 says: Apr 22, 2011 7:20 AM

you could tell while the words were coming out of his mouth that he had no idea what it means. not even a misunderstanding, just no understanding whatsoever. “gestapo-type situation”…come on. think next time, amani.

7. bbb82 says: Apr 22, 2011 7:21 AM

I really don’t want to side with the owners, but the players just keep making themselves look worse and worse.

I’m glad he was big enough to apologize, but come on…. maybe you guys should think before you speak. If I’m not mistaken, most of you have been to college.

8. thelonious says: Apr 22, 2011 7:27 AM

OK, so Roger isn’t a Nazi.

Begin “Roger Goodell is the head of the KGB” jokes begin in 3…2…1…

9. brawltimore says: Apr 22, 2011 7:31 AM

It’s nice that he apologized for being ignorant but he’s still an ignoramous.

10. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 22, 2011 7:35 AM

Good for him to own his mistake. But this shows part of the problem. Players think they are smart, probably because they make lots of money and have always been coddled. But for the most part they are NOT smart. Some of them are of extremely questionable intelligence. That’s who makes up the Union, and they will believe what they are told. Sheep.

11. richm2256 says: Apr 22, 2011 7:40 AM

I’d say his statement proves him to be a better manthan Adrian Peterson, at least.

12. krow101 says: Apr 22, 2011 7:41 AM

“I be stoopid. And we dinnt study none o dat histry stuff in college. But I like’s ta talk on TV.”

13. chrisltr22c says: Apr 22, 2011 7:41 AM

DUH..im a fffff-football player..im not so ssss-smart..can we have our mmmm-money now..the more these retards talk the more i wish they just got minimum wage. After all they are really only the worlds FASTEST GARBAGE MEN!

14. fin72 says: Apr 22, 2011 7:43 AM

Too late Amani. Even though your PR people wrote a good apology for you, every time you open your mouth you expose yourself as an idiot. Definitely no future in television for you.

15. asherbyron says: Apr 22, 2011 7:50 AM

While I certainly don’t agree with what he said, I appreciate that he took responsibility for what he said and didn’t try to defend what he had said at all. If more people took that tactic, this world would be a nicer place.

16. ggeden says: Apr 22, 2011 7:50 AM

They only issue apologies when someone is twisting their arms, like NFL secret police.

17. mightymightylafootball says: Apr 22, 2011 7:54 AM

Well, at least his agent seems like he’s on the ball…

…which is more than I can say for Amani’s playing career.

18. prior0knowledge says: Apr 22, 2011 7:59 AM

Good apology… I forgive ya

19. chocopoppy says: Apr 22, 2011 7:59 AM

whatever. The day I care what athletes say is the day they care about me and you.

20. brutus3413 says: Apr 22, 2011 8:08 AM

If Toomer is going to salute “Hitler-style”, as shown in the picture, he needs to smile less and use his right arm.

21. dempsey63 says: Apr 22, 2011 8:17 AM

brutus3413 says:

“If Toomer is going to salute ‘Hitler-style’, as shown in the picture, he needs to smile less and use his right arm.”

(Apparently Chad Ochocinco has taken your advice in the adjacent article.)

22. rskills says: Apr 22, 2011 8:28 AM

Another great use of a picture. Yesterday it looked like Goodell was slightly “heil-ing” for the original article, now it looks like Toomer is, too!

23. whatswiththehate says: Apr 22, 2011 8:30 AM

His agent must have made him do that…

And why is it that everyone else apologizes for what they say and do but those in the sport media? hmmmmm

24. whatswiththehate says: Apr 22, 2011 8:35 AM

32 i
    chrisltr22c says:
    Apr 22, 2011 7:41 AM
    ——————————–

This is why the internet was invented….So supposedly intelligent folks can sit and type the dumbest ish and feel they are so much smarter than those who they are criticizing.

25. tv426 says: Apr 22, 2011 8:37 AM

This is why players should not speak. Ever. Especially WRs.

26. t1mmy10 says: Apr 22, 2011 8:42 AM

i have to give toomer credit for at least publicly taking back what he said and apologizing (unlike peterson)…and at least no other players came to his defense (looking at you mendenhall).

27. Big M says: Apr 22, 2011 8:43 AM

Just a guess here, but when he used the word Gestapo, he was probably thinking of Joseph Goebbels and the Nazi propaganda machine. That would make a lot more sense considering the way the situation has been handled.

He was obviously thinking about the Nazi’s, but he was paid to catch a ball, not remember WWII history.

28. PurpleRaid18 says: Apr 22, 2011 8:44 AM

Channing Crowder told him what it meant…

29. TheWizard says: Apr 22, 2011 8:47 AM

I’ll give him credit for a real apology, instead of the contemporary “if I offended anybody” spiel.

30. jw731 says: Apr 22, 2011 9:02 AM

It’s amazing to me, how professional athletes always use the term “it’s a business” when trying to get a new contract, or filing for free agency etc.. But as soon as the owners make “business” decisions, they are suddenly slave masters, or part of the gestapo…Apology or no apology, you would have to be completely void of any intelligence to make such comparison’s while pay wise, being on the top rung of the ladder……

31. snowpea84 says: Apr 22, 2011 9:04 AM

@Big M
    Seriously? Yeah, he was def thinking, this guy is just like Goebbels…That’s more likely than him being an ignorant person???

These players run around spewing the most ignorant thoughts imaginable it seems. They are not guys who should be asked about their opinions….unless you are trying to fill up a sports website….

32. friendlylittletrees says: Apr 22, 2011 9:14 AM

Before we know it he will start calling everyone an Uncle Tom.

33. bosfaninva says: Apr 22, 2011 9:19 AM

Ten bucks says Toomer can’t come within 50 years of identifying what year World War II ended.

34. duanethomas says: Apr 22, 2011 9:34 AM

He is not a active player. He is an ex. player therefore he is on management/owners side. At least thats what I been told…….

35. tednancy says: Apr 22, 2011 10:07 AM

Good for him – a substantive apology.

36. 3octaveFart says: Apr 22, 2011 10:10 AM

Hey Toomer, if you want to know about Nazis, just ask any of the Bushes.
    “W”‘s grandpappy Prescott was the American Traitor that worked both sides of WWII, as he financed Hitler’s campaign and sold him all of his fuel via Standard Oil.
    I’m quite sure “W” shares most of his grandad’s principles.

37. santolonius says: Apr 22, 2011 10:27 AM

that’s the way to do an apology. put down your pride. say you were wrong. say why you were wrong. say the criticism toward you was deserved. be sincere.

38. jackfnburton says: Apr 22, 2011 10:38 AM

I’m guessing you were not a history major, kid. Why is it nobody can disagree with each other anymore without whipping out the old Nazi stick? Nazis murdered millions of people in a failed bid to take over the world and impose totalitarian slavery on us all.

Roger Goodell is simply a hypocrite. But I imagine Amani doesn’t know what THAT word means, either.

39. capslockkey says: Apr 22, 2011 10:42 AM

Classic case of an idiot who thought using an important/impactful sounding word he heard on TV or something, thinking it makes him sound smarter even though he doesn’t know the meaning of it. When I read the original article, first thing that came to my mind was he has no idea what he actually just said, and this confirms it.

40. gcsuk says: Apr 22, 2011 10:50 AM

At least this apology sounds like he actually said/wrote it. Doesn’t sound like it was written by a PR department.

Additionally, he didn’t drop the “my words were taken out of context” excuse. I’ll give him credit for manning up (but not for being so dumb in the first place).

41. firethorn1001 says: Apr 22, 2011 10:59 AM

First apology that I’ve seen in some time that I actually believe is sincere.

42. thephantomstranger says: Apr 22, 2011 11:01 AM

onedaygm says:
    Apr 22, 2011 7:19 AM
    ______________________

I guess you haven’t been in a public school lately. They stopped teaching history long ago. He can tell you whatever you need to know about global warming, though.

43. riverhorsey says: Apr 22, 2011 11:03 AM

at least the guy maned up and said it was a stupid thing to say and apologized. I accept that.

44. domehead says: Apr 22, 2011 11:10 AM

Toomer: Gee, I’m sure my 20th Century History class covered the Nazi era when I was getting my Gen Studies degree back at Big Blue. I must have been sick and missed class that day. I just thought the Gestapo were those guys with the cool leather uniforms and bad-ass bling…Who knew?

45. nineroutsider says: Apr 22, 2011 11:57 AM

People make tons of stupid comments; I read them and hear them everyday. Mostly on PFT.

Obviously the difference is that most people are so insignificant that no one cares what they say (yes even your wife), so say (or write) what you will but Amani is laughing all the way to the bank and you’re worried that your boss might be looking over your shoulder…

46. hobartbaker says: Apr 22, 2011 12:13 PM

Toomer didn’t mean to disparage Roger. Or his great uncle Klaus.

47. bigd9484 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:37 PM

Gee… I’m shocked he didn’t actually know what it meant. I would imagine someone bet him $100 to say gestapo to the media, and fell for it.

48. richm2256 says: Apr 22, 2011 12:39 PM

3octaveFart says:
    Hey Toomer, if you want to know about Nazis, just ask any of the Bushes

I’m quite sure “W” shares most of his grandad’s principles.

————————————————
    Right, the old man was dealing with the Nazi’s ….. while his son George HW Bush (Dubya’s father) was flying an Avenger torpedo bomber for the Navy and got shot down.

Do you actually have a brain, or just regurgitate what some idiot wrote?

49. stixzidinia says: Apr 22, 2011 12:44 PM

Don’t apologize for being right, Toomer. Goodell’s style is very much Gestapo-like. And he is very much Hitler-esque. If Goodell had been in the Nazi Party he would’ve been Hitler’s right hand man. That’s his style and the kind of person he is. He’d have been the guy hitting the “on” switch at the ovens despite the pleas coming from the other side of the door.

50. Deb says: Apr 22, 2011 1:25 PM

How much do you want to bet at least two-thirds of the people criticizing Toomer have made an even less-logical bonehead comparison about the President of the United States?

But oooooh, when a football player does it, then makes an eloquent mea culpa, it’s “stupid is as stupid does” and “another player demonstrating their ignorance” and “who the f*** cares?” with dozens of petty little thumbs up.

As someone said yesterday, Toomer went to Michigan and 12 of you together probably couldn’t make his IQ. But he’s an NFL player, and a black one at that, so he must be stupid, right? :roll:

51. melikefootball says: Apr 22, 2011 1:31 PM

It is amazing how one who lets their back side out do their mouths feels an apology makes all right. Do these guys ever think before they rub their lips together?

52. gregjennings85 says: Apr 22, 2011 2:22 PM

Not that I really care, but he absolutely knew the meaning of the words he chose to speak.

What a half-assed excuse.

53. macjacmccoy says: Apr 22, 2011 3:05 PM

He said he was using Gestapo tactics not that he was like the Gestapo. Its a totally different thing. America has used Nazi tactics in every war they have had since World War 2 (Blitzkrieg, Rockets, Jet Engines, propaganda etc.) that doesnt mean they are like the Nazi’s.

People need to stop with this hyper sensitive crap. Or atleast they should get their facts straight before hand. Im not 1 to stick up for a Giants player but come on people stop trying to make what he said into something its not.

54. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Apr 22, 2011 3:12 PM

He probably does view Goodell as a member of the Gestapo still but he’s wised up enough to stop making the comparison publicly.