“Superstitious” Vick covets Madden cover

Madden2004

Later this week, we’ll learn whether the next version of the Madden game will feature Eagles quarterback Mike Vick or Browns running back Peyton Hillis on the cover.  Some fans think that Hillis advanced to the finals over Aaron Rodgers not because Browns fans outperformed Packers fans but because Packers fans voted for Hillis because they feared Rodgers falling victim to the so-called “Madden curse,” a phenomenon that is as a real as those who believe in it allow it to be.

Vick badly wants to be on the Madden cover for the second time in his career, notwithstanding the Madden curse.  And though Vick admits to being superstitious, it sounds like his superstitions no longer include the Madden curse, even though he broke his leg only six days after Madden 04 launched in August 2003.

I am superstitious,” Vick said, via John Gonzalez of the Philadelphia Inquirer.  “I won’t say what kind of superstitions I have, just know I have plenty of them.  At the time I was very superstitious.  And at the time, I got injured.  I broke my leg before the season.  But it was God’s plan.  It wasn’t meant for me to be out on the football field that time.  But I put my faith in a higher power now.  Things that I may not want to happen, I put my faith in Him and live life.”

He’s willing to take the risk this time around, because it’s an honor determined not by the executives at EA but by the fans.  “It’s a great opportunity for me,” Vick said.  “The fans vote.  It’s feedback from the fans.  You see what the fans see.  The first time, I really wasn’t too big on having the opportunity.  I appreciated it, but this time around I think I will appreciate it so much more.  I took a lot for granted early in my career.  It was a great opportunity at the time, but now it will be so much more satisfying.  To show it to my kids and say I was able to accomplish.”

Still, some of those fans may vote for Vick for the same reason that Packers fans may have voted for Hillis.  Whether the Madden curse exists or it doesn’t (and last we checked Drew Brees started every game in 2010 despite being on the cover of Madden 11), people believe in it, and it would be foolish to assume that votes weren’t cast during the process for a reason other than seeing the recipient of the votes on the cover of the game.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to ““Superstitious” Vick covets Madden cover”
  1. TheRealist says: Apr 25, 2011 7:40 AM

Brees had the most interceptions of his career last year and the most sacks of his Saints career.

Not to mention his team was hit by an earthquake in the playoffs.

The curse works in mysterious ways.

2. jameswestphal says: Apr 25, 2011 7:41 AM

Sociopath.

3. chapnastier says: Apr 25, 2011 7:48 AM

Can we see a historical study on the injury correlation to being on the cover of Madden? I am pretty sure that most guys who have been on there have missed some of the season or suffered an injury during the season they were featured. And Brees struggled last year because of that knee injury as was clear by his increase in interceptions.

The curse is real, history proves it.

4. wawa33 says: Apr 25, 2011 7:56 AM

As a long time Eagles fan, I hope he gets the Madden cover, goes on vacation during the lockout, and he gets eaten by a shark for what he did to those innocent dogs.

5. whatsafairway says: Apr 25, 2011 8:01 AM

I just hope if Vick get the cover that EA Sports puts a disclaimer at the bottom saying, “no animals were harmed in the making of this cover”.

6. gobirds36 says: Apr 25, 2011 8:04 AM

can we stop calling this a “vote” and pretending that a month ago peyton hillis and mike vick were not on espn for a whole day promoting this whole “tournament” of fan votes.

like come on, its not even your contest atleast stop calling it one. whomever the madden people wanted on the cover is going to be on the cover. so i would venture to say its mike vick…

7. joetoronto says: Apr 25, 2011 8:09 AM

“To show it to my kids and say I was able to accomplish.”

Please don’t reproduce, Michael. You owe the world at least that.

As for “the curse”, what a joke. You have to be some kind of ignorant to believe in crap like that.

8. blueintown says: Apr 25, 2011 8:14 AM

Guilty. As a lifelong Bears fan, I’ve spent the last few weeks voting for NFC Central foes. Man, I’m a dumb*ss.

9. neilpountney says: Apr 25, 2011 8:15 AM

If you accept the premise that a certain group of people voted against Aaron Rogers because they did not want him on the cover for his own good, then surely you have to consider the opposite could be true also. Many people may want Mike Vick on the cover not because they like him but they want the curse to continue?

Lets be honest it should be Aaron Rogers.

10. Matt Revel says: Apr 25, 2011 8:25 AM

Please vote Hillis. Us Browns fans are desperate for some kind of winner.

11. dansilva5 says: Apr 25, 2011 8:26 AM

2001 (Eddie George)- Sucked after his cover/Cost them a play off win
    2002 (Daunte Culpepper)- Missed most of that season/benched

2003 (Marshall Faulk)- Downhill from here, went 7-9 and the Rams never recovered along with Marshall

2004 (Mike Vick)- Broke his leg!

2005 (Ray Lewis)- Probably the least affected, but his team sucked for awhile after this…well with Steve McNair they were OKAY. Statistically it went his best year.

2006 (Donovan McNabb)- Torn ACL, lost a step and Hernia.

2007 (Shuan Alexander)- Injuries out the butt, and sucked terribly after this….never the same
    2008(Vince Young)- Almost killed himself..enoughsaid!

2009(Brett Favre)- Went to the Jets…got in trouble/missed the play0ffs but eventually recovered in the Vikings…or did he/should of retired on top Brett

2010(Larry Fitz/Troy P)- Larry statistically wasnt on point, his QB retired and look mediocre at times/Troy was hurt most of the season and his team missed the playoffs and Ben raped someone

2011(Drew Brees)- Knee problems, looked like crap on gameday every now and then, threw picks for fun/got crapped on by the Seahawks..

2012(Mike Vick)- Overhyped, still not accurate, on a team with a bunch of sore losers, and a coach who stinks up the place like Fisher in Tenn, time for a change…..if this explodes on the Eagles…I CANT WAIT TO HERE THE EXCUSES.

12. mad55555 says: Apr 25, 2011 8:41 AM

Didn’t Drew Brees also have a knee ligament tear that he was suffering with the entire year? Didn’t he suck because of it? I don’t believe in ghosts or god. Just the invisible pink unicorn.

13. eagles83 says: Apr 25, 2011 8:55 AM

Vote Hillis!

14. dabigbangclock says: Apr 25, 2011 9:07 AM

whatsafairway says: Apr 25, 2011 8:01 AM

Haha thats hilarious

Whether the curse is real or not, whats the point of screwing with it? This is why, as a Pats fan, I voted for Mark Sanchez when he was still in it. If I was an Eagles fan I would not want Vick on the cover.

15. howiefeltersnatch says: Apr 25, 2011 9:29 AM

Vote Vick, I don’t want my guy Hillis anywhere near that cover.

16. nfl fan says: Apr 25, 2011 9:33 AM

I say if he wants his face on the cover, they should use his mug shot and give a portion of the proceeds to organizations that help others.

17. rc33 says: Apr 25, 2011 9:47 AM

Blah, blah, blah…”God’s plan”
    Blah, blah, blah…”higher power”

Everything this guy says nowadays comes off as contrived. Can’t they just give him another key to the City of Dallas or something?

18. rmm1984 says: Apr 25, 2011 9:50 AM

FYI there is no Madden curse. There are just a lot of injuries in the NFL. You could look at dozens of high profile players every year that either got hurt or underperformed.

19. pigeonpea says: Apr 25, 2011 9:57 AM

chapnastier says:

The curse is real, history proves it.

Better yet, let’s see a comparison of Madden nominees/winners having injuries in years they weren’t nominated for the cover vs. the years that they were nominated and/or won. I’d wager that the liklihood of injury is the same for all players, despite being on the cover of a video game. After all, Santa Claus seemed pretty real to me too when I was 6 years old and had no point of reference as to where the presents I found on xmas morning came from, save from that which my parents told me. It seems a lot of people are looking for reasons to believe in the alleged curse, and are grasping at straws to validate their belief in such. For example, in 2005 Brett Favre threw a record 29 interceptions despite never being on the Madden cover that year, yet some people are blaming the curse for Brees 22 interceptions last year.

On another note, it honestely scares the hell out of me that so many people believe in this kind of voodoo nonsense. Seriously, what has happened to the public education system?

20. mr92687 says: Apr 25, 2011 9:58 AM

I voted for him, I hope the curse is real. A career ending injury would be poetic justice. Maybe he breaks the arm he murdered poor innocent dogs with…

21. tformation says: Apr 25, 2011 10:09 AM

The Onion needs to have fun with this, “I have superstitious” quote from Vick. Something like: “I never scheduled a dog fight during a full moon. One time I did, and my dog lost horribly. I had to cut his throat with a butcher knife from ear to ear right there in the ring. That dog cost me a lot of money!”

Something like that.

22. cinfante54 says: Apr 25, 2011 10:13 AM

With the majority of the fans hating Vick, the “Madden Curse” might as well fall on the fans with a Super Bowl win for the Eagles

23. terminalsd says: Apr 25, 2011 10:16 AM

I’m a fan of Vick but it’s obvious he’s starting to feel him self again. Be humble bruh!

He broke his leg the last time he was on the cover but he’s so full of his self he wants to be on the cover again EVEN if that means a fluke injury! (The curse)

Just ball and don’t let people cloud what’s really important and that’s winning a superbowl!

24. myeaglescantwin says: Apr 25, 2011 10:20 AM

The eagles are waiting for this Madden issue to be decided.

If Hillis wins , you can expect Kolb to be traded.
    If Vick wins,, he’s on his way out..

25. lovedabirds says: Apr 25, 2011 10:27 AM

“But it was God’s plan.”

Hey Vick was it Gods plan for you to brutally & without remorse torture already bleeding & hurt animals as they screamed in pain after being told by your father is was wrong??

Hey Vick was it Gods plan for you to contract herpes & after seeking treatment under an assumed name, knowingly give it to unsuspecting women?

Hey Vick was it God’s plan for you to stiff the hundreds of creditors when you transferred all your assets to your mom & gf’s name to avoid paying what you owed.

Vick is enough to make people PUKE. One of the most disingenuous people to ever walk the earth. If he gets the cover, here’s to hoping the curse is alive & well & he gets what he deserves. THAT would be GOD’S will!

26. chapnastier says: Apr 25, 2011 10:41 AM

@ pigeon

I guess you are right.. but you can’t argue the strong coincidence. Regardless of your belief in voodoo you can’t deny that.

27. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Apr 25, 2011 11:08 AM

This just in: idiot egomaniac covets Madden cover to boost his already disproportionately sized ego.

Crowd reaction: not surprised.

Film at 11.

28. cometkazie says: Apr 25, 2011 11:39 AM

Sounds like the Sports Illustrated curse all over again.

29. kevinfromphilly says: Apr 25, 2011 2:28 PM

“if this explodes on the Eagles…I CANT WAIT TO HERE THE EXCUSES.”

You should be “where-ing” a dunce cap.

30. itsmebobd says: Apr 25, 2011 4:24 PM

What I want to know, with how much all those ESPN and EA sports fools love brady, how in the hell has he never been on the cover?

31. dant10 says: Apr 25, 2011 4:30 PM

@dansilva5 and mr92687, you guys can suck a dick.
    If Vick makes it on the cover he’s still gonna have a great year. Despite defenses “figuring him out” over the season he’s a phenomenal athlete who’s bound for the superbowl. But if Hillis is on the cover that’s great too, the guy’s a beast, hopefully the browns have a better season though. E A G L E S!!

32. wafflestomp says: Apr 25, 2011 4:54 PM

O.K., I’ll admit it.
    Packer fan here who voted for Hillis.

Not that I’m overly superstitious, but why rock the boat?

33. Bubby Brister says: Apr 25, 2011 5:55 PM

Browns fans have nothing to lose here. I mean, what’s the worst that can happen if Hillis makes it? The Browns season goes down the drain? This is their Super Bowl.

But Vick is going to win this thing. Then the Eagles are going to trade Kolb. THEN either Vick is going to get hurt or be the real Vick (i.e. really not that good) and the Eagles are going to be left with Mike Kafka or Andy Dalton for most of the year and go 6-10 or 7-9 (while McNabb takes the Vikings to the playoffs or some crap). Tell me you don’t see this one written all over the wall?

34. tangysizzl says: Apr 25, 2011 6:47 PM

How many Madden cover guys have won a SB in the years following their appearance on the cover?

35. mashoaf says: Apr 25, 2011 10:39 PM

Didn’t Bree’s Tear his knee up last year, even though he played on it, alegedly.

36. norcaleagles says: Apr 26, 2011 9:44 PM

DANSILVA, I was looking at your list of your madden cover winners, and it seems to me like about half of those players’ teams made the playoffs that season. I guess you chumps will keep going on and on until someone makes the cover and wins the super bowl. Just because a player doesnt win the super bowl, doesnt mean he’s cursed. You fools are lame.lol. And by the way, get your facts straight before you post a bunch of BS. You said Marshall and the rams never recovered after his injury. The Rams tied for the best record in the NFC the following season. You say McNabb lost a step after his injury? Up until last season, he kept breaking his scoring and yardage records for about 3 seasons in a row. And the ravens are basically in the playoffs every year. And you said Vince Young almost killed himself, enough said?? Wow you are lame. Didnt he make the Pro-Bowl that season?