Browns fan withdraws lockout lawsuit

dawg-pound Getty Images

During a bad week in court for the NFL, there’s a sliver of good news.

Cleveland businessman Ken Lanci, who filed a lawsuit aimed at blocking the lockout as a violation of his Personal Seat License, has withdrawn the suit, according to Pat Galbincea of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

“We’ve decided to wait and see how the court rules on the appeal filed by the owners,” Lanci said.  “If and when the judge rules in favor of the owners, we will refile our case.”

We’ve got a feeling that Lanci won’t.  Instead, we’ve got a feeling that this was a convenient way to save face in the wake of filing a lawsuit that, in our assessment bordered on frivolous.

There’s no reason to withdraw the case pending appeal.  If the league loses the appeal, then the lawsuit could have been withdrawn.

Thus, this is likely the last we’ll hear from Mr. Lanci.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Union
17 Responses to “Browns fan withdraws lockout lawsuit”
  1. pu74y says: Apr 26, 2011 11:59 PM

I’m just glad this guy took some action on the fan’s behalf. Too bad he’s not a millionaire that can afford a long court case.

2. hobartbaker says: Apr 27, 2011 12:04 AM

Kenny got locked out of the Dawg Pound and has nowhere else to go.

3. thetooloftools says: Apr 27, 2011 12:12 AM

You don’t know Mr. Lanci.
    He could do some serious damage.
    His point was/is valid.
    You best let sleeping dogs alone.
    This guy is sharp.
    I fed you this story to begin with off of a CPD write up.

4. bensstinkyfingers says: Apr 27, 2011 12:57 AM

Now go away, your 15 minutes of purchased fame are over. Thanks for taking a stand for all the other rich guys that can afford season tickets. The rest of us average fans will watch it all unfold on tv. Go Browns.

5. bsandcs says: Apr 27, 2011 2:02 AM

a lockout lawsuit article without De Smith’s obscene face plastered on it. relief.

6. timegambit says: Apr 27, 2011 2:07 AM

Browns fans remind me of a cult. Things are really, really bad, but this kool aid should do the trick.

7. longislandcowboysfan says: Apr 27, 2011 2:22 AM

To the draft attendees:

When Roger Goodell takes the stage on Thursday, I will be attempting to start a “Susan Nelson” chant as he is speaking. I’d appreciate it if you joined me.

I will be the guy dressed like a cowboy with a mohawk.

8. cup1981 says: Apr 27, 2011 2:22 AM

How about you sue the Brown just for sucking horrible for the last decade… Just sayin’

9. itsmebobd says: Apr 27, 2011 3:20 AM

Only an idiot browns fan

10. MichaelEdits says: Apr 27, 2011 4:41 AM

He’s just upset that his team’s QB isn’t Michael Vick.

11. egreen4590 says: Apr 27, 2011 5:20 AM

So you’re telling me that all I need to do to get my name on PFT is buy some NFL tickets and sue the NFL? Sounds like a win to me.

12. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: Apr 27, 2011 7:14 AM

Cleveland fans sure are douches

13. enuggs says: Apr 27, 2011 7:48 AM

Ken Lanci is a local politician trying to become more visible to the public by getting some national attention. Nothing more than a cheap ploy to advance his career. He could care less about football.

14. toe4 says: Apr 27, 2011 8:13 AM

If the suit was frivolous it would have been summarily dismissed.

15. lennydpocketqb says: Apr 27, 2011 8:37 AM

I guess this is what happens to fans when your franchise has done noting of any worth in the modern era… You do frivolous crap to get attention.

16. mdpickles says: Apr 27, 2011 9:34 AM

I own a SBL and pay $95 per game ticket. With a lockout, this equates to an inferior product come Fall. No practices, film study, all the work required to make the final product come Sundays in the Fall are not taking place. I feel i should only pay $70 a ticket. Who’s with me? Season ticket holders are being taken to the cleaners.

17. FinFan68 says: Apr 27, 2011 10:56 AM

This was a shameful attempt at self-promotion. I was actually hoping he would follow through with it, lose, and then have to pay the court costs and legal fees the NFL would have used to defend this ridiculous suit.