Dan Snyder defends lawsuit: “I am not thin-skinned”

Dan Snyder AP

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is refiling his lawsuit against Washington City Paper today, and he has taken to the pages of the Washington Post to explain why.

In an op-ed titled “Why I am suing Washington City Paper,” Snyder defends himself against charges that he’s using his wealth to bully a newspaper and its writer, and he says that he understands that his role as owner of the Redskins means he’s going to take criticism.

I am not thin-skinned about personal criticism,” Snyder writes. “I consider myself very fortunate to own the Redskins. Criticism comes with the territory and I respect it. I have never sued people who publish critical opinions of me, nor have I previously sued any news organization.

“I understand the anger people feel toward me when the Redskins have a losing season or when we sign a veteran player who does not meet expectations. I have been a Redskins fan all my life, and I get angry, too, including at myself. I am the first to admit that I’ve made mistakes as an owner. I hope I’ve learned from them. All I want is for the Redskins to win!”

Where Snyder says the City Paper crossed the line was “a clear factual assertion that I am guilty of forgery, a serious crime that goes directly to the heart of my reputation — as a businessman, marketer and entrepreneur. It is false.”

Indeed, the City Paper article, titled “The Cranky Redskins Fan’s Guide to Dan Snyder,” includes a statement that Snyder “got caught forging names as a telemarketer with Snyder Communications.”

The forgery accusation is one that the same City Paper writer, Dave McKenna, had written about previously. In 2009 McKenna wrote that “investigators for the State of Florida found that Snyder ‘forged the signatures of hundreds of customers on letters of authorizations purporting to authorize a change of customer’s resubscribed interxchange carrier.’”

However, the State of Florida document that McKenna cites is clearly referring to Snyder Communications, the company Dan Snyder and his sister founded. Nothing in the document suggests that Dan Snyder personally had anything to do with forgery.

Washington City Paper‘s publisher has acknowledged that Snyder didn’t engage in forgery, writing, “we have no reason to believe he personally did any such thing.”

Snyder writes in today’s op-ed that he isn’t looking to extract money from the City Paper, but he is looking to extract an apology.

“If the publisher has ‘no reason to believe’ that ‘Dan Snyder got caught forging names,’ then why not retract the words that explicitly said I was a forger and simply apologize?” Snyder writes.

But no apology has been offered, and so Snyder is heading to court.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
33 Responses to “Dan Snyder defends lawsuit: “I am not thin-skinned””
  1. moggy6actual says: Apr 26, 2011 9:23 AM

If he truly wants the Redskins to win, Snyder should sell the team to someone who can run it better than he can.

2. realitypolice says: Apr 26, 2011 9:27 AM

I don’t like Dan Snyder.

I don’t like the way he runs his team, and I don’t like the way he sometimes treats his season ticket holders.

That said, I agree with his position here. Free speech does not give a newspaper carte blanche to write whatever they want, even when they know it’s not true.

In this case, the same paper has TWICE printed the same accusation, knowing BOTH times that it wasn’t true in the way they were reporting it.

Look at it this way- how many times has this paper done this to people who couldn’t afford to take them to court? Cases like this cost money to pursue and seldom wind up with big money verdicts for plaintiffs.

So it takes someone with significant resources to hold these people responsible, and Snyder is doing it.

3. chapnastier says: Apr 26, 2011 9:30 AM

I can’t believe I gave this clown my money for season tickets!

4. bleedgreen08052 says: Apr 26, 2011 9:31 AM

As I read through everything going on in all of these articles one thought keeps going through my head… Pay-per view NFL. Please dont take the best sport (and form of entertainment) away.

This is gonna end up bad.

5. jw731 says: Apr 26, 2011 9:33 AM

Doesn’t this smurf have more important things to worry about?

6. gregjennings85 says: Apr 26, 2011 9:34 AM

Sooo….it sounds like he’s being a bit thin-skinned.

7. jhm3 says: Apr 26, 2011 9:39 AM

“I am not thin-skinned””
    And a polar bear is not a meat eater

8. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 26, 2011 9:40 AM

A wise man once said that when you find yourself in a hole that the first thing to do is stop digging.

But no one has ever accused Snyder of being wise…..

His vendetta against this guy is self defeating. An article in a alt-weekly that would have been seen by a few hundred folks (had Snyder just ignored it) has now been seen by millions.

There is no merit to the lawsuit. None. The author cannot “damage” Snyder’s reputation since Dan had ALREADY made himself a laughing stock thru his various actions. All Snyder is doing with this op-ed is reminding people why he is despised by the long suffering fans of the Redskins and most everyone else not named Vinny Cerrato.

As for his denial that he is “bullying” the small paper with his legal onslaught why would anyone believe him? Thats EXACTLY what he is doing. Its what every rich jerk does to those that dare offend them. Thank god I don’t root for a team that is owned by one of these megalomaniac types. My sympathy to those that are stuck with Snyder and his ilk.

9. duanethomas says: Apr 26, 2011 9:42 AM

Greedy and Stupid, throw in the sensitivity of a 8 year old school girl and you have Daniel Snyder. Typical owner.

10. yahmule says: Apr 26, 2011 9:43 AM

Dan, everybody, including the woman who’s pretending to love you for your money, hates your freaking guts, and it has nothing to do with “when the Redskins have a losing season or when (you) sign a veteran player who does not meet expectations.”

Go squat over a cobra, you scummy creep.

11. dansnydersux says: Apr 26, 2011 9:44 AM

That little twit has destroyed my football team. I hope he’s made to look like an even bigger fool when all is said in done after this lawsuit. PLEASE SELL THE TEAM!

12. therealsmiley says: Apr 26, 2011 9:46 AM

I know many people don’t like Dan Snyder but he IS a true Redskins fan. Go get em’. Hail!!

13. deadmanwalking47 says: Apr 26, 2011 9:51 AM

dan snyder is just a huge and very rich pathetic human being! he is the WORST thing to ever happen to the redskins in the 48 years i have been pulling for them! i don’t wish ill will on anybody,but if snyder were to get hit by a meteor,run over by a turnip truck,or get struck by lightning,the applause of redskinfans in dc and the state of virginia, would cause an earthquake of epic proportions!

14. Slackmo says: Apr 26, 2011 10:09 AM

The relevant article quote is:
    “That’s the Dan Snyder who got caught forging names as a telemarketer with Snyder Communications.”

That’s a pretty direct claim that is false. Now you can argue that everybody knows Snyder wasn’t personally on the phones, but that’s exactly what the statement says. If the article had been reviewed by legal, that passage would never have passed. They could have reworded it as “Dan Snyder, whose Snyder Communications got caught forging names as a telemarketer” and given Snyder’s lawyers nothing to latch onto.

15. stinkfingers says: Apr 26, 2011 10:23 AM

Thin skinned? Maybe not.

Thick headed? Obviously.

16. boysroll says: Apr 26, 2011 10:23 AM

Throw this napoleon, wimpy, loser bum in jail…no wait…don’t do that..they might start winning. LMAO.

17. steelersmichele says: Apr 26, 2011 10:24 AM

The truth is, I never read the City Paper article or forwarded it to my friends until after I learned Snyder was suing.

If he would have just laughed it off and ignored it, I’m sure it would have gone away quietly and people would have forgotten it. Instead, he’s actually encouraged more people to read it and blog about it.

18. mpayne12 says: Apr 26, 2011 10:24 AM

I think oxford needs to update its dictionary with a reference to Dan Snyder: A whiny little money grubbing bitch; Incompetent on just about every level; Failing; Not Winning; Douche.

19. stylinandprofilin says: Apr 26, 2011 10:25 AM

Give the guy a break. Everyone talks trash about him. I’m glad to have him as the owner of my favorite team. He spends money to try to make the team better. Some owners ie. Arizona’s, look for the cheapest ways to run their teams. Now I’m not saying Snyder is perfect but atleast he is willing to open the pocket book up.

20. jw731 says: Apr 26, 2011 10:26 AM

I hope Snyder owns the Redskins for another 50 years…..Seriously, he’s a complete ass clown, just like Jones, he can sue every paper from here to eternity, or hold bowling tournaments, just keep owning danny boy…..

21. boysroll says: Apr 26, 2011 10:28 AM

one other pt…he says he does not sue frivilously..how about all the season ticket holders and that poor 70 something yr old lady he brought to court as she could not pay for her tickets.

This guy is the biggest douche in the league hands down and is a power hungry wimp.

22. ThatGuy says: Apr 26, 2011 10:29 AM

Seems like a clear case of Libal to me, the article state that he personally was guilty of forgery, the publisher themselves has said its not true but not retracted it. The entire article was meant to defame him. The paper should retract that statement, apoligize and move on.

23. 3octaveFart says: Apr 26, 2011 10:32 AM

chapnastier says: Apr 26, 2011 9:30 AM

“I can’t believe I gave this clown my money for season tickets!”

You’re just doing your part to support the wealthy elite with the money you earned by the sweat of your brow, while you wage you personal little misguided and uninformed war against working people.

24. billsfan27 says: Apr 26, 2011 10:43 AM

Snyder is a joke. If I’m wrong, Dan, sue me.

25. tundey says: Apr 26, 2011 10:43 AM

@clintonportisheadd: So a rich guy can’t sue to defend his name? Regardless of your feelings for Snyder, he’s entitled to use all legal avenues to redress what he sees as lies against him. Will he win? Is he right? That’s for the courts to decide. But to say he can’t sue just because he’s rich is just plain wrong. If you think the City Paper doesn’t have the funds to defend itself, feel free to donate to their legal fund.

Now from a PR perspective, is it wise for him to make a federal case out of something that small? Probably not. But in this age of internet and how hard it is to separate truth from fiction, I am not so sure it’s that simple. Everybody says the City Paper is a small outlet but guess what? That piece was picked up by the Washington Post’s Sports Bog and who knows how many other national sports outlets. So yeah the piece was by an alt-weekly but it went viral. To claim otherwise is to be disingenuous.

26. tundey says: Apr 26, 2011 10:48 AM

@Slackmo: How are you sure their legal dept didn’t review and just let it go because everybody knows it doesn’t make sense for a big bad NFL owner to sue an alt-weekly? Or maybe legal got overruled in the name of getting page views? Because certainly the truth (as you wrote it) is less sensational than what they published.

27. nagaswan says: Apr 26, 2011 11:45 AM

So he is not suing because of the insult to his wife that was not actually present or the outlandish claims of anti-semitism? Way to change your story Snyder. FURTHER his defense of this claim previously stated that he was no longer with the company when the forgeries happened, but SURPRISE he was.

28. nagaswan says: Apr 26, 2011 11:51 AM

PS PFT is clearly in love/afraid of Dan Snyder. Did he buy you guys a hot dog at a game or something? Being charmed by sociopaths isn’t something to be proud of.

29. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 26, 2011 12:18 PM

tundey says: Apr 26, 2011 10:43 AM

==============

Never said he “can’t sue”. What I said is he can’t prove damages so what’s the point of filing suit other than intimidation?

30. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 26, 2011 12:23 PM

tundey says: Apr 26, 2011 10:43 AM

======

Yikes! You have a serious comprehension problem.

The ONLY reason it “went viral” as you put it was Snyder’s original whining about it (the famous/bogus “anti Semitic devils horns” claim ) to the publisher.

Had he just left it all alone no one would have ever seen the piece.

31. therealsmiley says: Apr 26, 2011 1:13 PM

All haters. Hail!!

32. George Canty says: Apr 26, 2011 2:05 PM

You can’t give Redskins tickets away these days. Season ticketholders constantly feel that as soon as they drive into the parking lot, they’re being yanked by their ankles and shaken for loose change. Then when they get to their seats they’re surrounded by drunk fans because the Redskins won’t stop serving anybody who can buy. In the DC area, you’re seeing more and more Ravens jerseys and hats — the Redskins are probably the low totem-pole team here now. Basically, like everything else he’s touched (Six Flags), Snyder is squeezing every last cent out of the franchise and choking it in the process.

33. theblowtorchreview says: Apr 27, 2011 12:19 PM

=================================
    “He spends money to try to make the team better. Some owners ie. Arizona’s, look for the cheapest ways to run their teams. Now I’m not saying Snyder is perfect but atleast he is willing to open the pocket book up.”
    =================================

Ummmmm, have you been to game lately? That’s not his money he’s spending. For $12 beers, $8 hot dogs and $25 parking, I expect to be in the Superbowl every year.