Jim Mandich dies after bout with cancer

JimMandich

Former NFL tight end Jim Mandich, a member of the undefeated 1972 Dolphins, has passed away at the age of 62, according to the Associated Press.

Mandich, who in recent years worked as color commentator for Dolphins games and as a radio host at WQAM in Miami, had been battled bile-duct cancer since 2010.

Mandich played college football at Michigan.  “I’ve played in a perfect season and in Super Bowls,” Mandich said several years ago.  “But I’m proudest of playing for the maize and blue.”

Last year, Mandich candidly criticized former V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells, who left the team during the 2010 season.  “He was a hired gun. He was a personality,” Mandich said.  “He came in; he leaves two years later.  I feel like taking Listerine and washing my mouth out, because it doesn’t feel good to me.”

We send our condolences to Mandich’s family, colleagues, teammates, and friends.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Jim Mandich dies after bout with cancer”
  1. Deb says: Apr 26, 2011 10:11 PM

Deep condolences to the Mandich family, and to his Dolphins and Wolverine fans and teammates.

2. finfanjim says: Apr 26, 2011 10:14 PM

He will be missed. He was crazy, he was vocal, he was honest. R.I.P, JM…

3. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 26, 2011 10:16 PM

All right Miami!

4. harpoo51 says: Apr 26, 2011 10:20 PM

RIP Mr. Mandich. Your contributions to the sport will not be forgotten.

5. nackul says: Apr 26, 2011 10:37 PM

God bless the Mandich Family. This is a seriously sad day for all of radio and the fans that shared a moment of bliss with him whenever the Dolphins scored a TD. I will forever hear his voice yelling when I watch a game. He was the best of the best.

RIP Jim.

One last time: Alright Miami!

6. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Apr 26, 2011 10:40 PM

That’s all there is, there is no more. RIP Mad Dog!

7. snoop31 says: Apr 26, 2011 10:56 PM

My sympathies go out to the Mandich family.
    I read PFT every day and have never been inclined to sign up to comment, until now.

This is a weak obit article…who cares about Bill Parcells at a time like this? It may have been a nice quip, though to dedicate the last paragraph to him and Mandich’s comments is hardly a tribute to the man.

Prayers to those friends and family affected by Mr. Mandich’s passing

8. realitypolice says: Apr 26, 2011 11:09 PM

He couldn’t have been better if he were twins.

That one’s for the true JM fans.

RIP

9. siggy00 says: Apr 26, 2011 11:55 PM

I think one of only men to play for two different dynasties of the 1970′s, Jim also earned a SB ring with the Steelers. Preston Pearson earned one each with the Steelers and Cowboys.

10. 411dooleybug1 says: Apr 27, 2011 12:00 AM

He’s knocking back Green Lizards up there, watching all the best Fins and Wolverine games on a stadium-size big screen.

I’ll really miss him. He was the only radio personality I ever made time to listen to on a regular basis.

11. mcnewh says: Apr 27, 2011 12:08 AM

The thing Jim was most proud of, other than his family, was that he was the last “Team Captain” of the Maize and Blue; after his tenure, there were seperate, offensive and defensive captains.
    Jimmy: May God Bless you and keep you in His care.

12. delfi2 says: Apr 27, 2011 12:23 AM

You will be missed mr mad dog. your honesty was always appreciated – you told it like it was! your catch-phrases were epic – you mattered in MIA for very long time.

thanks for the memories

R.I.P.

13. finsbooyah says: Apr 27, 2011 12:56 AM

He was a warrior on and off the field.

Thanks for everything, Jim. You’ll be missed.

14. swankel says: Apr 27, 2011 2:00 AM

Very sad and disrespectful for people to give a thumbs down to any of these posts.

15. maddenprophet says: Apr 27, 2011 2:15 AM

R.I.P. GO BLUE!

16. Single Filament says: Apr 27, 2011 3:38 AM

I grew up hearing him call games. He was always the voice. of the Dolphins franchise to me.

17. wawa33 says: Apr 27, 2011 6:53 AM

“Rolling around with your windows down!” Jim Mandich was a good man. Rest in Peace, Jim!

18. oldbyrd says: Apr 27, 2011 7:19 AM

All football fans lost a true tough guy. Rest in peace Jim

19. hnirobert3 says: Apr 27, 2011 7:54 AM

Voice of the Miami Dolphins. RIP Mad Dog!

20. mensamember says: Apr 27, 2011 8:36 AM

MEEEEECHIGAN!
    RIP Jim

21. imongo says: Apr 27, 2011 8:54 AM

The “Manwich”! His breed are slowly being taken from us. God Bless.

22. dolphan23 says: Apr 27, 2011 9:03 AM

You’ll truly be missed Jim Mandich. Thank you for being the voice of the Miami Dolphins. Your passion for this team will never be forgotten. Truly a sad day for the Miami Dolphins and U of M.

23. rockymtnphinfan says: Apr 27, 2011 9:08 AM

RIP Mad Dog……phin fans everywhere will miss you.

24. 8drinkminimum says: Apr 27, 2011 9:10 AM

Even though he loved the Dolphins he was always honest about where they stood in the league and how they were playing.

I’ll miss his candid opinions and his passion for the sport.

25. marinephinfan says: Apr 27, 2011 9:31 AM

I grew up watching him play and always loved listening to him call play-by-play. My prayers to his family, football family, and his friends.

Miami Dolphins football won’t be the same without him.

RIP “Mad Dog”

26. kevinfromphilly says: Apr 27, 2011 10:51 AM

“I feel like taking Listerine and washing my mouth out, because it doesn’t feel good to me.”

Was he talking about Bill Parcells or Ray Finkel?

27. marinofreakout says: Apr 27, 2011 11:53 AM

i cant believe this man. dolphin fan from new jersey. didnt get to watch too many games up there. he brought the dolphins to me on many sundays.

awwwwright miiiiiiiiiiami!

28. skleech22 says: Apr 27, 2011 5:15 PM

Dolphin games just won’t be the same without him in the booth!! It is a sad day for Miami Dolphin fans everywhere……we lost one of the good guys!!!! One more time Jim…….AAAAALLLLLLRIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT MIAMI!!!!!!!!! R.I.P Jim you will truly be missed!!!!