Report: Justin Houston, Christian Ballard failed drug test at Combine

Justin Houston ,Russel Hill AP

Georgia defensive end Justin Houston and Iowa defensive tackle Christian Ballard both failed drug tests for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine according to Alex Marvez and Jay Glazer of FOX.

The information comes as news to us, but it’s possible teams have been aware of the result for a while now.   Houston has been talked about as a potential late first-round draft pick, but the failure will be a red flag for teams that already questioned his snap-to-snap energy.

Ballard was projected as high as a second round pick by some draft analysts.

Plenty of players have been caught for smoking weed before and they still were drafted highly.  Coaches know that a large segment of every team smokes, making the drug test at the Combine an intelligence test more than anything.

Houston and Ballard apparently failed that intelligence test. We don’t think it will completely ruin their stock on draft day, but it certainly won’t help.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Report: Justin Houston, Christian Ballard failed drug test at Combine”
  1. NFL Football Now says: Apr 26, 2011 9:47 AM

Bye Bye 1st Round.

2. cl8n82 says: Apr 26, 2011 9:50 AM

now maybe this will get all the Falcons fans (which I am one) off his nuts.. just because he’s from Georgia does not mean the Falcons should draft him. (ps.. im not from georgia)

3. jlb10 says: Apr 26, 2011 9:50 AM

you know you aregoing to be tested yet you don’t at leats stop smoking for awhile? idiots!

4. chapnastier says: Apr 26, 2011 9:51 AM

I think the real red flag should come because these idiots knew when they were going to be drug tested yet they still went out and got high.

5. minnesotablizzard says: Apr 26, 2011 9:52 AM

Oh man we better never legalize that….that…plant! If we legalized it then we would make tons of tax money, destroy the “war on drugs” and empty our bloated prison populations! The horror!!!

/s

6. duanethomas says: Apr 26, 2011 9:53 AM

Nice. 2 days before the draft. Which team leaked this information?

7. theshakeweight says: Apr 26, 2011 9:54 AM

Didn’t BJ Raji and Clay Mathews fail drug test too b4 the draft? Welcome to the Packers Houston and Ballard!

8. jessieboom says: Apr 26, 2011 10:03 AM

I’m sure it was worth it. Idiots.

9. jvibottomline says: Apr 26, 2011 10:04 AM

An University of Iowa football player failed a drug test???? I’m SHOCKED! What, they aren’t testing for cocaine at the combine as well?

10. otistaylor89 says: Apr 26, 2011 10:07 AM

“I was going to go in the 1st Round before I got high. I’m going to go in the 2nd Round and I know why – ’cause I got high, ’cause I got high.”

11. hogfanmac says: Apr 26, 2011 10:08 AM

It amazes me how this article says “Plenty of players have been caught for smoking weed before and they still were drafted highly. ”

12. lostsok says: Apr 26, 2011 10:08 AM

“I have a drug test. They make me soooo nervous. I should smoke a bowl first…”

13. tigerhebert says: Apr 26, 2011 10:15 AM

Sad developement, but even sadder is that I don’t think it impacts Houston’s draft stock.

I invite you all to check out my Mock Draft of the 1st Round at http://tigerreport.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

14. bsizemore68 says: Apr 26, 2011 10:18 AM

There is no cure for stupid. Bill

15. bucsballer says: Apr 26, 2011 10:19 AM

Drug tests mean nothin in the NFL. Calvin Johnson failed for weed his year. Then he went 3rd overall, and Ganies Adams failed as well and went 4th. So this won’t hurt either very much.

16. jbaxt says: Apr 26, 2011 10:20 AM

These are the same clowns who will be part of the group who thinks they deserve a portion of the extra 9 billion dollars?

So…. Players can smoke weed, still get drafted, play a GAME for no less than $400,000 a year, work out for half the year, get 6 months vacation, and still they can get more…

Sounds deserving…

Also, does anyone else see how it’s the players who are on their way out that are the one’s complaining? They didn’t step up for older players when they were 22 years old and just hoping to be in the NFL.

17. galvestontexans says: Apr 26, 2011 10:55 AM

Passing a drug test is one of the easiest things to do. You know you have to take the test spend the $30 on urine cleaner. I mean come on those guys are just plain dumb.

18. commoncents says: Apr 26, 2011 10:57 AM

Morons.

19. myeaglescantwin says: Apr 26, 2011 11:18 AM

You are right, this kid is a fool for not stopping.. not only is this a drug test for a great job, this is a drug test that is the difference in the value of a contract. This could cost this stoner millions.

I have a high ranking contact who layed it out for me one day.
    “the government has thought about legalizing marijuana. They weigh the options that they have. The compare the money they make now with fines and arrest and rehab programs to the amount of money they would make from the taxation of the product.’
    He got into some numbers i cant quote outright, but the jist of it was this;
    the american government makes millions in fines & other programs that relate to the banishment of marijuana. Everyone thinks that they could mass produce a product and reap benefits from taxation, this is flawed logic by the masses. Marijuana is too easy cultivated & would encourage citizens to “grow your own dope”. this would effectively take the money from the government. That flat out is the bottom line.
    They will not legalize marijuana because it is too easily grown & there would be no way to fully tax the citizens.

20. touchdownjesus7 says: Apr 26, 2011 11:22 AM

maybe they have glaucoma “shrugs shoulders”

21. bwisnasky says: Apr 26, 2011 11:32 AM

I grew up in Southern Illinois. Me and a bunch of buddies used to drive up to Iowa a couple of times a year and pick our own weed.. it grew wild there along the railroad tracks…. Have any of you ever been to Iowa? There isn’t that much there to do…. maybe Ballard found my old stash….

22. nabz034 says: Apr 26, 2011 11:41 AM

jlb10 says:
    Apr 26, 2011 9:50 AM

____________

Thats why its reffered to as a intelligence test

23. edukator4 says: Apr 26, 2011 11:45 AM

@galveston texans

help me out, i’m unaware of the urine cleaner you speak of. is it over the counter, or do you have to “know a guy”

24. chatham10 says: Apr 26, 2011 11:53 AM

I’m losing my draft status, I guess I better forget football and become a lawyer

25. kingdm8 says: Apr 26, 2011 11:54 AM

They should have called Onterrio Smith and borrowed his Whizinator!

26. tryagainplease says: Apr 26, 2011 11:56 AM

hogfanmac says: Ryan Mallet admitted to experimenting with marijuana when he was younger and never faild a drug test in college and yet everyone thinks his character is suspect and his draft stock is falling. What gives?

he talks like a black guy yet isn’t- the perfect combo for continued criticism without fear of being called racist. the journalists (haha) couldn’t ask for anything better.

27. zoxitic says: Apr 26, 2011 12:07 PM

That’s gonna end up being an expensive bag of weed.

28. whatswiththehate says: Apr 26, 2011 12:09 PM

“Do they realize their bosses, who built the NFL, allow them to make 400 times the average household income? I’m still of the opinion to cap the maximum salary at $250,000 and make the DA’s realize what they had. These players average 4-5 year careers, the one’s that last longer should just be happy to be so lucky. The owners are there for a lifetime, continually building the sport.”
    ——————————
    And whose backs are the building the sport on? It sounds to me as if you expect these kids to play for free while you pay to watch them break each other’s body on the football field. And it’s seems you would much rather put your money into the owners hands as they sit in their luxury boxes and watch you watch these players play for free. Yes, it sounds like you have your priorities in order. I guess you feel you have a better chance of being an owner of a team than a player. That position is much harder to get into. Just ask the many rejected high school kids who saw themselves as future football players.

29. uwsptke says: Apr 26, 2011 12:11 PM

jvibottomline says:
    Apr 26, 2011 10:04 AM

——————————————-

Considering the location, they should probably test Iowa players for Meth first.

Possible Wonderilic question:

A bathtub is used for:
    a) taking a bath
    b) cooking meth
    c) making moonshine with the help of some copper tubing
    d) all of the above

30. houndog50 says: Apr 26, 2011 12:13 PM

Hey shakeweight, send me a link to the article(s) about Mathews and Raji, I’d like to see them, but I doubt you can find them. You’re still pissed about the Packers kickin’ your team’s asses last season, that’s all. Poor Steeler’s fan, damned refs just wouldn’t cooperate in the SB, eh, just would not tilt the calls your way that day. Send me the link, but you can’t find it, cuz it doesn’t exist!

31. phinheads says: Apr 26, 2011 12:33 PM

puff puff pass

32. sprizzle2182 says: Apr 26, 2011 12:40 PM

actually this might be a good thing for Falcons fans…i know for a fact that Houston was being talked about for our first round pick, and ive heard Ballards name thrown around as well….hopefully we can use our first pick for someone else and get Houston later….if we still want him….

33. gregjennings85 says: Apr 26, 2011 2:00 PM

Man, well I wouldn’t want either of these kids operating on my brain while under…what…what’s that?

They play football?

Oh, stop the presses.

34. gregjennings85 says: Apr 26, 2011 2:01 PM

I bet it’s Ted Thompson passing these tidbits around so player drop to him (cough, cough…Matthews! Raji!).

35. chiefcarnes says: Apr 26, 2011 2:10 PM

Just a couple of student-atheletes, not much student here.

36. thefiesty1 says: Apr 26, 2011 4:33 PM

Surprise, surprise. Very little news here.

37. granadafan says: Apr 26, 2011 6:41 PM

“phinheads says:
    Apr 26, 2011 12:33 PM
    puff puff pass”
    ——————————————————————–

Is that Ryan Mallett’s motto?

38. darcyiniowa says: Apr 26, 2011 11:51 PM

I’m sick of all this talk about Iowa and drugs. There isn’t any more drugs done at this school than at any other school. It has just made the press more than any other school in the past couple of years by a select few players. It hasn’t been the entire team. Don’t lump the entire Iowa team with a few losers. I believe that there are a few losers on each team out there across the country. I bet we could find them if we went looking for them. Shall we start a witch hunt for all of them? Which team shall we start with? Just do me a favor and leave Iowa out of the conversation for awhile. Wanna take bets on how many years it is before they take Auburn’s championship away? Let’s start something fresh!