Report: Titans’ coaching staff divided on No. 8 overall pick

Jerry Gray, Mike Munchak AP

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports that there is a divide among the Titans’ coaching staff as to whom Tennessee should draft with the eighth overall selection.

The defensive coaches want Nick Fairley.

The offensive coaches want Andy Dalton.

Several league sources tell La Canfora that the Titans’ offensive staff considers Dalton “an elite prospect” with low bust potential, compared to the rest of the 2011 quarterback class. La Canfora “would not be surprised” if Tennessee drafted Dalton with the eighth pick in the draft.

The Titans’ defensive staff has obvious connections to Fairley because line coach Tracy Rocker performed the same role at Auburn last year. There isn’t an NFL team more familiar with Nick Fairley.

We suspect Fairley is higher on Tennessee’s draft board. But at the same time, quarterback is a more valuable position in the NFL, and the Titans don’t pick again until No. 39.

With one or two quarterback runs expected on the draft’s first day, the Titans may not have the luxury of waiting for theirs.

And if they truly believe Dalton is a franchise-caliber passer, there’s no sense in waiting for the second round, when Dalton easily could be off the board.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Report: Titans’ coaching staff divided on No. 8 overall pick”
  1. captainwisdom8888 says: Apr 26, 2011 3:15 PM

Why? Fairley can be their next Haynesworth…

2. dewalt2990 says: Apr 26, 2011 3:19 PM

The Vikings were taking Dalton…….more draft BS.

3. profootballwalk says: Apr 26, 2011 3:20 PM

Trade down, bag an extra pick, and get him anyway.

4. drgreenstreak says: Apr 26, 2011 3:21 PM

I’d make the coaches write an essay before a formal debate and then put it to a vote of the fans.
    Jerry Jones staff does not have this problem.

5. We'reFineThere says: Apr 26, 2011 3:23 PM

Cornerbacks can’t go #1 overall and red-haired QB’s can’t go in the top 10. I thought this was universally known.

6. thephantomstranger says: Apr 26, 2011 3:23 PM

Apparently, the Titans coaches haven’t seen Greg Cosell’s assessment of Dalton.

7. seeschool says: Apr 26, 2011 3:23 PM

Andy Dalton with the 8th pick….you must be joking.

I guess the prevailing opinion these days is that a QB can have a rag arm and okay athleticism, as long as there’s alot going on upstairs. That tells me one thing….Jason Garrett played football a decade too early. Put him in this draft, and he’s a first round lock.

8. dawsonleery says: Apr 26, 2011 3:27 PM

9. isaeus says: Apr 26, 2011 3:29 PM

Andy Dalton?? 8th overall?? Lol!!

A better option would be to trade it for Kevin Kolb and be able to compete this year.

10. 4512dawg4512 says: Apr 26, 2011 3:32 PM

As a fan the NFL is steadily losing my support. And that obviously means nothing to them considering that they are openly assuming that once the dust settles from all this lock out/CBA/financial crap, I’ll be waiting with open arms for a currently unguaranteed football season. Putting out next years schedule is nothing more than the NFL dangling a carrot in my face. The fact that they’re willing to sacrifice a game that I have supported for years because they can’t agree on how to cut up a financial pie makes me realize that I like football, but I don’t need it.

11. friendlylittletrees says: Apr 26, 2011 3:32 PM

If the court decides to force the league year to start, maybe the Titans can trade Vince Young and their 2nd and 3rd Rd picks to move into the mid/late 1st Rd?

12. patriotsdefense says: Apr 26, 2011 3:34 PM

haha i’ve heard some funny misdirection stories this month but this takes the case. Andy Dalton isn’t there guy, Jake Locker is and they are trying trick someone into overvaluing Dalton

13. august1969 says: Apr 26, 2011 3:35 PM

Wow…I might actually believe it

14. richkotitte says: Apr 26, 2011 3:35 PM

It’s all a smokescreen at this point.. They think Jacksonville may be high on Dalton, so they’re hoping to get a division rival to trade up for him, and give away draft picks …

15. 28tb says: Apr 26, 2011 3:38 PM

I see this going one of two ways, Titans pick Fairly and they continue Jeff Fishers picks of questionable character.

They pick someone Dalton (or hopefully Julio Jones!) and Munchak starts to do things his way.

16. commoncents says: Apr 26, 2011 3:45 PM

Wow so the Titans have an Auburn coach on their staff now and Dalton is the choice at QB? That has to say something about newton…

Dalton will be around at the end of the first for sure, unless someone falls in love. if so, i am sure the Pats would be happy to work a deal for their #28 or #33 for a first and 3rd next year. :)

17. TurdSandwich says: Apr 26, 2011 3:46 PM

Dalton and Rusty Smith on the same team?!!?! The Lucky Charms Gang!

18. bcgreg says: Apr 26, 2011 3:50 PM

If they’re looking at Dalton at # 8, then they’re dumber than I thought. You can get Dalton in the 2nd round!

Fairley or Julio Jones at 8. With Britt runnin from the cops, they all of a sudden have WR concerns. Dalton would be a TERRIBLE pick here (and not because he has red hair I might add). :)

19. scoops1 says: Apr 26, 2011 3:52 PM

Andy Dalton = David Klingler

20. jaggedmark says: Apr 26, 2011 3:52 PM

Question PFT writers:

If the judge upholds the lockout lift Wed evening, does that mean NFL GMs will be free to communicate trades of players like Palmer & Ochocinco, before and during the draft?

21. savocabol1 says: Apr 26, 2011 3:55 PM

I’ll bet my life savings we will look back at this report and realize it was all for nothing. Jags won’t take either of these guys.

22. joshborden says: Apr 26, 2011 4:01 PM

I love my team just like any good fan would….but sometimes between teams and fans there will be a disagreement of opinions. I HIGHLY FREAKIN’ DISAGREE WITH MY TEAM ON THIS ONE!! If the Titans draft Dalton with the eighth pick, I will shoot myself in the face…..enough said.

23. hobartbaker says: Apr 26, 2011 4:02 PM

Lol, they really must hate Vince Young to go that far to the other extreme.

24. freddyfelder says: Apr 26, 2011 4:11 PM

As a Texan Fan.. I hope the do draft Dalton..

25. redskinszt says: Apr 26, 2011 4:11 PM

Andy Dalton at 8? sounds like a smoke-screen to me.

26. usher716 says: Apr 26, 2011 4:19 PM

anyone else have a feeling that this is going to be one of the stranger drafts in recent years?

27. granadafan says: Apr 26, 2011 4:21 PM

A ginger in the top 10? Noooooooooooooooooo!

28. buffalohogan says: Apr 26, 2011 4:37 PM

Andy Dalton at 8? Ryan Mallet being thrown under the bus?

Watch Mallet go before Dalton.

29. thefiesty1 says: Apr 26, 2011 4:57 PM

Please don’t take Dalton. He deserves to be drafted by a better team. They need a go to receiver more than any team except the Browns. Sorry, Titans – 8th is behind the Browns, so AJ Green will be gone.

30. texx95 says: Apr 26, 2011 5:11 PM

@patriotsdefense…How can you expect anyone to take your comments seriously when you lack even the basic understanding of the english language? The phrase is “takes the cake” not “takes the case” and it’s not “THERE guy”, it’s “THEIR guy”.

31. thephantomstranger says: Apr 26, 2011 5:24 PM

commoncents says:
    Apr 26, 2011 3:45 PM
    _____________________

Ummmm….I think they’re probably planning for the unlikely possibility that Newton gets drafted before their pick comes up.

32. whatswiththehate says: Apr 26, 2011 5:29 PM

captainwisdom8888 says:
    Apr 26, 2011 3:15 PM
    “Why? Fairley can be their next Haynesworth…”

Got to love these black on black comparisons with the athletes without any basis…
    —————————-
    dawsonleery says:
    Apr 26, 2011 3:27 PM
    “Any Dalton in the top 10? What in the world… I haven’t seen anything from him that says “I’m a franchise QB” I just don’t see it. I’m sorry, this is insane.”

Maybe like Blaine, he all of a sudden became athletically sound with a good “QB IQ.” If Blaine can obtain all that upside since he left college, than so can Dalton.

33. realfootballfan says: Apr 26, 2011 5:45 PM

Those defensive coaches better win out or a whole lot of people will be fired in the near future.

No way in the world should Dalton be their 8th pick even if they think he can play in the NFL, which I seriously doubt, because nobody else will take him before the 2nd.

It’s Jon Beck all over again, but at least the Dolphins got him in the 2nd round and despite it hurting, it didn’t cripple their franchise when they cut him the next year.

34. rosloe62 says: Apr 26, 2011 6:12 PM

Trade with the Rams. They’ll take Jones with the 8th pick. So take their 14th pick and their 3rd round pick.
    Dalton will be available at 14 and it’ll cost you less $$$. plus you have an extra 3.

35. quarterbacksdontwinorlosesuperbowls says: Apr 26, 2011 6:33 PM

seeschool says:
    Apr 26, 2011 3:23 PM

Andy Dalton with the 8th pick….you must be joking.

————————————————————————

Very nicely put. Too many fans underestimate the importance of having a strong arm for an NFL quarterback.

36. transam7816 says: Apr 27, 2011 12:55 AM