Cam Newton pays his own way in New York

NFL football draft prospect Cam Newton of Auburn high-fives participants at the NFL PLAY 60 football event in New York

This is a tricky post to write.

Cam Newton is taking criticism from Clark Judge of CBSSports.com for stiff-arming the media at an NFL-sponsored “Play 60″ event on Wednesday.   In general, we know fans don’t care how athletes treat the media.   Frankly, we’re not that concerned with how they treat the media either.

Within Judge’s post, however, there are a few nuggets about Newton that are undeniably interesting.   Unlike the rest of the NFL Draft hopefuls in New York this week, Newton paid his own way to get there and paid for his own accommodation.

The NFL, in fact, defended Newton skipping out on the media session because essentially he’s there on his own.  [UPDATE: The NFL Network previously reported up to ten prospects would pay their own way and possibly not attend NFL events like the one on Wednesday or talk to the media.  Hmmm.]

It seems petty to criticize how Newton volunteers his time with young kids.  With that said, Newton standing apart from the pack in New York is an interesting window into the young man, and what his life will be like in the future.

“It’s not that he’s a bad guy.  It’s that he’s immature,” one coach told Judge.  “He doesn’t make every-day decisions that most of make for ourselves. Someone else does it for him. And if that continues in the pros it could be a problem.”

Much of the personal criticism Newton has taken during the pre-draft process is unfair,  but life is unfair.  Especially for a quarterback.

Newton’s ability to navigate a complicated life full of unfair criticism and make those everyday decisions will ultimately be part of his job as a franchise quarterback.   How can you really evaluate a kid’s ability to navigate life at this stage?

People will project their pre-conceived judgments on this story as they choose.  The anti-Newton crowd will say it’s another example of why teams are wary of him.  The pro-Newton crowd will say we are slamming the kid and making something out of nothing.

The world of punditry is often black and white, but the real world Cam Newton lives in is a lot more gray.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Cam Newton pays his own way in New York”
  1. truninerfan49 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:25 PM

You should just change the title of the story to “Newton is an A##hole”

2. bf53 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:26 PM

I’m sick of hearing about him off the field. Lets just wait and see how he does.

3. edmazeing1 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:26 PM

Damn cam already payed, b4 he get paided!!!

4. commoncents says: Apr 27, 2011 3:27 PM

He’s talented but i would NEVER guarentee this guy 50 million dollars.

5. dldove77 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:28 PM

I hope the Panthers’ interest in this guy is smokescreen.

6. freddyfelder says: Apr 27, 2011 3:29 PM

The Dude is a KID!! Get Over IT!!! Apart of Becoming a Man is making Mistakes and you learned from them! He learned from the LapTop Deal.. Won 2 Nationtional Championships a Heisman and about to get drafted #1 overall.. I have to say he learned from his mistakes!

7. nbaraie says: Apr 27, 2011 3:29 PM

How much of this money came from Auburn?

8. citizenstrange says: Apr 27, 2011 3:29 PM

Loving you isn’t the right thing to do
    How can I ever change things that I feel?
    If I could, baby I’d give you my world
    How can I, when you won’t take it from me?
    Cam Newton pays his owns way (pays his own way)

9. edmazeing1 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:31 PM

My mistake I seen on another site he was out with rev-run daughter, so my guess is she payed for everthing!!!

10. medtxpack says: Apr 27, 2011 3:31 PM

ahhhhh!!! you said black and white! Warren Moon is soooooooo mad at you….

11. George says: Apr 27, 2011 3:32 PM

the fact that he is paying his own way because he doesn’t want to be part of a group and wishes to do what HE WANTS, should be a red flag lol

12. ttommytom says: Apr 27, 2011 3:33 PM

If you pay your own way, you can do what you want “outside of the lines”. I get the concept. But then you are going to be called out on it (like now) for blowing something off. He HAD to know this was going to happen.

The answer being “I paid for it myself”, therefore F-U is not going to fly. It shows arrogance and a “me” attitude.

13. chochav says: Apr 27, 2011 3:34 PM

Poor Cam. My guess is he probably did something more fun than most the NFL guys who DO do the SCRIPTED play 60 segment. Either way gut feeling says he’s going 1 overall. Panthers love him too much.

14. joey49er says: Apr 27, 2011 3:35 PM

nothing wrong with this guy paying his own way!!!! i just dont like the way his dad has embarrassed him for taking money

15. austinallen214 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:35 PM

Did he use the money he made from attending Auburn to pay for his trip?

16. tom35mt says: Apr 27, 2011 3:36 PM

All right, but, what i want to know is if he used his own hands to pee

17. pmars64 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:36 PM

As a Browns fan, I’d draft this guy in a heartbeat. I’d rather take that risk and be wrong than take the risk of passing on him and be wrong. But, if all the whispers are true, he’ll be playing in Carolina whenever football starts again and the Browns won’t even have a chance to grab him.

18. TxGrown says: Apr 27, 2011 3:37 PM

“How can you really evaluate a kid’s ability to navigate life at this stage?”
    ———————————————————–
    Really?……Are you kidding? Look around you! The ones who don’t have everything given to them, do it all the time! What friggin world do you live in?

19. marvsleezy says: Apr 27, 2011 3:39 PM

“In general, we know fans don’t care how athletes treat the media.”
    _____________
    You sure about that? I would disagree – I cant get any info out of them, so thats your job – So when they stiff the media, thats an indication of what they think of the fans in my opinion.

20. mikerol124 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:42 PM

I’m not one to defend this guy. In fact, he’s not going to my team so I really don’t care.

But how could anyone have a problem with this guy paying for his own trip and using HIS time as HE sees fit?

We should all be so lucky as to be able to live and do things on our own terms. Especially on business trips!

21. snowpea84 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:42 PM

Geez…people keep losing sight of the real issue with Newton. He has never shown the ability read a defense. That’s what will make or break him as a QB. The fact is, he probably can’t do it. Most people can’t. That’s why plenty of talented guys have failed before him.

22. hobartbaker says: Apr 27, 2011 3:42 PM

No, his world is brown. Turd brown.

“Hallejleujah Jesus, nice laptop, wish I had one like that.”.

“Praise the Lord, I think you spelled that word wrong on your test, lemme look at it for you.”.

“God had blessed me Daddy, and I like the stuff you take with a glass of water more than the stuff that has to be injected.”.

23. laxer37 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:43 PM

“Newton paid his own way to get there and paid for his own accommodation.”

————————————————

Translation: His agent made the arrangements and paid for everything.

24. jamie54 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:45 PM

Sorry Greg that goes with the territory. I guess someone else told him to throw the laptop out the window. I guess someone else told him to go out and cheat on exams. Because some of these guys, not all, have been enabled their whole lives they don’t have to accept consequences for their actions. He’s now going to be a very well paid professional. The BS stops, now let’s see how he walks. Gray area or not.

25. dorn09 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:46 PM

Not hard to pay your own way when you have 150k in the bank.

26. tblitz25 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:46 PM

I think it’s interesting how everyone comes down on this kid every chance they get but Cam still ends up at the top of whatever stage he’s at in his career. Next stop the #1 overall pick.

I wonder if Judge crushed Rodgers for blowing off the Cancer patient waiting for his autograph in the airport during the playoffs last season?

27. h0c2000 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:46 PM

What can you say? Auburn paid well.

28. crazy2bbengals says: Apr 27, 2011 3:47 PM

“Cam Newton pays his own way in New York” well…you didn’t think his dad would pay did you?

29. btowngetsdown says: Apr 27, 2011 3:47 PM

I’m not a Cam Newton defender (or even fan for that matter) but this guys seems to make himself more available to the media than anyone. He’s done a million interviews and even Gruden’s QB Camp. So Judge’s “Carolina Be Warned” notion is misplaced.

And for Gregg, this sentence bothered me: “It seems petty to criticize how Newton volunteers his time with young kids.” For people not reading Judge’s article, you make it seem that Newton did less than the other players with the kids. These readers may not know that Newton did EVERYTHING with the kids that the other players did, just that he left when media interviews started. The undertone of your article is that the criticism is not fair, but your engage in a bit yourself.

30. hobartbaker says: Apr 27, 2011 3:53 PM

When he is picked in the draft, Newton expects Roger Goodell to come over to his hotel room from Radio City to give him a handshake. Cam won’t attend in person since he hates being stuck in a room with a bunch of football players..

31. byrmcph says: Apr 27, 2011 3:53 PM

“In other news Cam Newton farted during a pre-draft workout”

32. quarterpounder10 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:54 PM

Of course he paid his own way, he has his own laptop business.

33. 4512dawg4512 says: Apr 27, 2011 3:55 PM

Panthers will take Newton #1 over all. Simply because they have nothing to lose. If he ends up being a bust than they can blame the new HC or the lockout and the lack of availability to communicate with him that it caused. Either way we all know Clausen sucks so they have to do something.

34. dexterismyhero says: Apr 27, 2011 3:56 PM

his dad beat up a kid who was asking for an autograph…..Cam paid the kid also!

35. pu74y says: Apr 27, 2011 4:00 PM

let’s not get onto the color issue.. gray people everywhere will be furious!

36. 1natural1 says: Apr 27, 2011 4:01 PM

Not that he seems to care, but he makes it extremely tough for people to like him

37. mike83ri says: Apr 27, 2011 4:08 PM

On QB Camp he kept talking about how mistakes would cost him money, like that’s all he cares about.

Right now he’s just trying to make sure he gets paid more by the NFL than he did at Auburn.

38. freddyfelder says: Apr 27, 2011 4:08 PM

always take somebody to cut the checks.. 150k? didnt come from Warren Moons bank lol.. let me guess Aurburn? I guess that’s an investment well paid off.. minus a couple dead oak trees.. lol

39. thompgk says: Apr 27, 2011 4:09 PM

I am pretty shocked at the comments here.

The CBS blogger basically is whining because he didn’t get the attention he wanted.

He glosses over the fact that Cam spent time with the kids and the fans and you idiots eat the cheese on the media shun tagline. Morons

40. bamasucks says: Apr 27, 2011 4:12 PM

if this lockout doesn’t end soon, maybe the media can suit up and play. i’d love to see some of these clowns trying to take Newton on the red zone.

41. jarheadjed says: Apr 27, 2011 4:13 PM

Who cares about the media? He will still go #1 and be a good NFL QB, not historically great but good. He is a physical freak and will get by for a little while on that alone….only time will tell if he commits himself to the game or not.

As far as him as a person, he is as genuine as any other professional athlete, period. There is a base level of narcissism that runs rampant with about 95% of all of these guys. He is not an exception to the rule, not exactly sure who everyone wants this guys to be…

42. EJ says: Apr 27, 2011 4:17 PM

I am very hopeful that Carolina will take Newton and if not, I am pretty sure Denver would find a team to trade their pick away to. Anyhow, I just don’t want the kid to be sitting in front of Buffalo at #3.

The Bills front office has been on a decade long playoff drought and just might be thirsty enough to throw all of their chips in on this guy.

I think I am speaking for about 90% of Buffalo Fans when I say “We want nothing to do with Cam Newton”. Nothing.

43. thehighhat says: Apr 27, 2011 4:17 PM

I hate those phony “Play 60″ commercials, with that awful song, so I fully support Cam cutting out on them!

44. jimr10 says: Apr 27, 2011 4:18 PM

“One coach said,” “Some think,” “it is thought that, ” ……blah blah blah. A reporteres staple when he wants to interject his opinion without saying it is his opinion. Been going on for a long time. The one coach is not identified. LOL.

45. mannyicey says: Apr 27, 2011 4:19 PM

I’m still trying to see how this is news. So he didn’t talk to some blogger. And he didn’t make himself available to the media because his agent paid his way and he took time to speak with the kids.

I only wish I could have my minute and a half back from reading this. And the 2 minutes from typing this response.

46. oa316ts says: Apr 27, 2011 4:19 PM

This is a little ridiculous to say the least. I mean, did I miss something, or did it just say he stiff armed the “Media.” It didn’t say he blew off the kids.

So if anything, he volunteered his time in NY with some kids who were probably really excited to hang out with him, and then left without talking to the media. What is wrong with that? Seriously… explain that to me.

Here is the exact line from above: “Cam Newton is taking criticism from Clark Judge of CBSSports.com for stiff-arming the media at an NFL-sponsored “Play 60″ event on Wednesday. ”

Notice it says MEDIA, not KIDS… he went to the event, and didn’t hang out with the Media, so of course the media is going to crucify him for not providing them with something to beat him up with… oh, he did that by not talking to them. RIDICULOUS.

47. raven4life21 says: Apr 27, 2011 4:27 PM

I think Cam is just self-rightious enough to play next to Ray Lewis. GO RAVENS!!!!!

48. bengalsown says: Apr 27, 2011 4:31 PM

Man, it must be hard putting $2000 on a credit card knowing that in 4 months you’re going to be handed a check worth $20 million.

What a warrior.

49. drmoefish says: Apr 27, 2011 4:33 PM

This is all starting to remind me of Jeff George in 1990.

50. docmenace says: Apr 27, 2011 4:39 PM

Using some of that well earned college money…

51. sterilizecromartie says: Apr 27, 2011 4:45 PM

“Judge spoke to someone with the event that said Newton was more interested in doing what he felt like rather than what he and he other prospects were asked to do.”

—————-

So he wants to bop around in NYC instead of doing NFL-related stuff? This guy is going to be an awesome entertainer and icon.

52. whatswiththehate says: Apr 27, 2011 5:01 PM

marvsleezy says:
    Apr 27, 2011 3:39 PM
    “In general, we know fans don’t care how athletes treat the media.”
    _____________
    ——————————–
    Are u really talking about today’s media or the ones from the past cause today’s media a me first media. They only reason why we, the sports fans, are included in their world is to pacify their egos. I sometimes feel the media is way MORE arrogant than the athletes.

A Carolina blogger was a bit disappointed that Cam “politely” declined to be interviewed but went on to say he was like the pied-piper with the kids. Get to the CBS article and you read something completely different. No where in the bloggers article did it say anything about scouts being disappointed with Cam.

It’s sad that folks have to defend this kid against the entitled mindser of our media and he’s the one labeled as arrogant and entitled.

53. stairwayto7 says: Apr 27, 2011 5:02 PM

Where did he get money? From his dad’s money taking? This punk will be out of NFL by 2015!

54. realfootballfan says: Apr 27, 2011 5:37 PM

Hold on, he’s criticized for “always knowing where the cameras are,” but now he’s criticized for avoiding the media because he wasn’t obligated to do the dog and pony show, which he’s been doing for 4 months, lol.

He wasn’t obligated to do any of the NFL sanctioned stuff had he not paid his own way, yet he came to the event with the kids anyway, which I’m sure these noble people constantly criticizing him are doing with their own kids, let alone strangers, lol.

The hypocrisy is getting more laughable by the minute.

55. Deb says: Apr 27, 2011 5:38 PM

The anti-Newton crowd will say it’s another example of why teams are wary of him. The pro-Newton crowd will say we are slamming the kid and making something out of nothing.

Then again, there are anomalies like me: usually critical of Newton … but not in this case.

Can’t blame him for wanting to pay his own way and do his own thing. It’s a high-pressure time, for him probably more than for any other player invited to the draft. He could go first overall; he could drop to late in the first round. Newton more than any other player has the potential to be this year’s Quinn. Add to that the media scrutiny. What if he went to all those planned events? The media would dissect his every move. And finally, you have the labor unrest. The NFL is choreographing their appearances now … but five seconds after they shake hands and collect their jersey, no one on their new teams will be allowed to speak to them. How bizarre is that?

No … can’t blame Newton for wanting to skip the hoopla and just enjoy a little time in the city.

56. thefiesty1 says: Apr 27, 2011 5:53 PM

That’s ok, daddy has already been “reimbursed” by the panthers.

57. hebephrenic says: Apr 27, 2011 5:55 PM

bengalsown says: Apr 27, 2011 4:31 PM

What a warrior.

Barring a rookie wage scale, if Cam goes 1-4 he is going to be one of the highest paid athletes. 20 mill? I would think probably closer to a 80mil contract with 40mil guaranteed. A look at Jamarcus Russels’ contract backs up my theory.

58. blkmanwtan says: Apr 27, 2011 6:52 PM

stairwayto7 says:
    Apr 27, 2011 5:02 PM

This is where the “punk” get the money from: