Nolan Nawrocki puts Cam Newton No. 1 in his mock draft

Cam Newton AP

One of the biggest stories of draft season was Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki’s brutal scouting report on Auburn quarterback Cam Newton. Nawrocki accused Newton of possessing a “fake smile” and “enormous ego,” and being “disingenuous,” “scripted,” and “immature.”

Nawrocki, who relentlessly criticized Newton’s character despite having never met the player, insisted that Carolina was using its pre-draft interest in the 2010 Heisman winner as a springboard to get another team to trade into the No. 1 spot. Nawrocki said the Panthers’ target was Georgia receiver A.J. Green.

But Nawrocki gave in Thursday afternoon, just hours before the draft. His final mock has the Panthers taking … wait for it …

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

And Green goes fourth to the Bengals.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Nolan Nawrocki puts Cam Newton No. 1 in his mock draft”
  1. urfinished says: Apr 28, 2011 2:38 PM

I expect the hate for a kid from some random faceless guy in his home commenting on a story. But those are pretty harsh words by Nolan on a guy he never once met…he is trying to become a respected journalist? FAIL

2. citizenstrange says: Apr 28, 2011 2:39 PM

Honestly, mock drafts are like so 2009.

I’m all about nodules now.

3. bradwins says: Apr 28, 2011 2:40 PM

If a mock draft is a prediction of what will happen, how could he not put Newton #1 to Carolina, no matter what he thinks of him? If I were doing a mock draft, I’d have Newton going #1, too. That certainly doesn’t mean that I think it is a good – or even sensible – pick.

It is difficult for me to envision a scenario in which Cam Newton is a good NFL player. The Panthers are going to set themselves back years making this pick. In my opinion, the NFL media is asleep at the wheel in not taking Carolina to task for what they are about to do to their organization and its fans tonight.

4. hobartbaker says: Apr 28, 2011 2:41 PM

All it says is that he thinks the Panthers stifle their gag reflex. For whatever boneheaded reasons.

5. zeapelido says: Apr 28, 2011 2:41 PM

impulsively I would say ‘hypocrite’, but scouting and evaluating a player’s potential and evaluating where he will go in the draft are two different things

6. quarterpounder10 says: Apr 28, 2011 2:42 PM

I feel like I have Camlash

7. hanktheking says: Apr 28, 2011 2:43 PM

Haters are gonna hate.

8. bubbabart says: Apr 28, 2011 2:43 PM

It’s good the Browns (my team since 1960) have the 6th pick instead of first. I’m hoping the Browns trade down a spot or 3 and pick up extra picks and still get a great player. From what I’ve read…not a lot of diff between 1 and 12 or 13.

9. imag3d says: Apr 28, 2011 2:44 PM

Nawrocki… what a great name for a linebacker back in the 1960′s

10. zone44blitz says: Apr 28, 2011 2:45 PM

Nawrocki lost all credibility when I saw that he had Andy Dalton going to the Falcons. Not a chance that happens.

11. broncobourque says: Apr 28, 2011 2:48 PM

Your version of the story simply isn’t true Evan. Nawrocki did not criticize Newton, he passed along what scouts had told him. Meeting Newton is not necessary when his scouting report is not his own judgements about players but instead what the professional scouts arround the league have said about them.

It is likely that is mock draft would also reflect what he has heard from scouts.

12. pftdabomb says: Apr 28, 2011 2:49 PM

That guy is such a joker. I cant take him serious now (not that I did before….).

13. pervyharvin says: Apr 28, 2011 2:50 PM

Wow! Cam will be able to buy several laptops of his own.

14. savocabol1 says: Apr 28, 2011 2:55 PM

So what? He is saying the he thinks the panthers are going to take newton, he isn’t saying that the panthers should take him.

15. hobartbaker says: Apr 28, 2011 2:55 PM

My final mock is coming out tomorrow. There will be some surprises on it.

16. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 28, 2011 2:58 PM

This is a set up for failure.

A rookie coach and a rookie QB. A GM who knows his job is on the line with this pick. Yikes……

The Panthers really needed to trade the pick and there would be a good chance they would be in the same position next year to take Luck.

It can only end very badly for all involved.

17. Panther fan feel for me says: Apr 28, 2011 3:02 PM

Cam newton this year then next year, when the panthers have the worse record in the NFL AGAIN and we take Andrew luck its like a bad dream repeating its self QB after QB after QB….

18. hobartbaker says: Apr 28, 2011 3:03 PM

First you slam Nawrocki for using “fake smile”, “disingenous”, “enormous ego”, “immature”, etc., then you post photographic evidence to confirm his opinions. Make up your mind.

19. bdnnbd says: Apr 28, 2011 3:04 PM

who is this clown? his landing spots for ponder and dalton made me choke on my fettucini

20. jakek2 says: Apr 28, 2011 3:08 PM

I can’t imagine the Panthers taking Newton. Here’s why:

1) Jamarcus Russell ruined it for all future questionable #1 overall QBs (nevermind black ones who are already stigmatized)

2) They just invested a 1st Rder in Claussen. How can they scrap him this soon? Aside from S. Smith, who is always hurt, who does he have to throw to?

3) Panthers are in the track and field division with NO and ATL. They need a stud CB that can keep up with the Roddy Whites and Marquez Colstons (and the up and coming Bucs as well).

Shutdown CBs are becoming almost as important as franchise QBs and are also becoming increasingly harder to find. If Peterson is the real deal, he’s the no-brainer pick.

21. pftareraiderhaters says: Apr 28, 2011 3:13 PM

just confirms all of these draft experst don’t know squat.

22. bradwins says: Apr 28, 2011 3:35 PM

This is who you want to take at #1?

I don’t get it.

23. whatswiththehate says: Apr 28, 2011 3:44 PM

broncobourque says:
    Apr 28, 2011 2:48 PM

———————-
    See, this is reason why I know people don’t read. Nolan is a liar. No scout is going to talk about a person’s character in such a way. Plus he, himself admitted that he made the same “fake smile” comment to a white QB when Moon called him out.

Not only that but in defense of himself, he also said he wrote pretty much the same thing about other QBs. So how is a scout and GM going to give you the exact same thing you said about past QBs character. Stop being so gullible.

I called it…Nolan did a cut and paste job on Cam with paste players profile and no scout or GM spoke to him. He knew exactly how his elite friends in the media felt about Cam and he just regurgiated it in a more extremely negative way for the knee-jerking reaction. when I read his respond to what Moon said I saw it.

As I’ve been saying from day one, Nolan, Mayock, Mel, and all their elite buddies wanted Cam to fall so Blaine could be the first QB because they knew the reaction they were getting back from teams on Blaine was very strong but Cam was. The sports media have been working overtime on Cam and know the hate will only intensify if he goes off the draft board first. I don’t need to know how the sports media was with Ja Marcus and VY when it was their turn, I’ve seen all I need to see with Cam. I really doubt it changed much. If not I’m sure Cam is worst.

24. whatswiththehate says: Apr 28, 2011 3:52 PM

hobartbaker says:
    Apr 28, 2011 3:03 PM
    ———————-
    Please stop proving me right about how discrminating the the NFL is getting.

A kid looking up at a score board confirms what Nolan said in your mind..WOW..I’m seeing the light.

25. bigtrav425 says: Apr 28, 2011 3:52 PM

this guy is a scumbag i hope to never see another article on this douche again (talking about Nolan)

26. whatswiththehate says: Apr 28, 2011 4:17 PM

————————-
    Wow has Ja Marcus ruined it for all other “questionable” QB when Ryan Leaf has got into WAY more trouble. Would you like me to show out long list of character issues with Ryan Lead and Erik Aignes or are just happy in hating on the black QB and pretenting your not?

Maybe I should do you one better and give u the list of failed white QBs and maybe you can answer me the quesion as to why the ones that follow them aren’t constantly being linked with them the way Cam is with the two or three black ones? Ane why you some of you folks are so quick to vocally label Cam as stupid and when the white QB shows how inept he is, it’s whispered.

27. granadafan says: Apr 28, 2011 4:27 PM

Funny how all these “Mock Drafts” are just slight variations of Mel Kiper’s mock drafts. Year after years, teams use these self-proclaimed draft “experts” to disemminate false information or agents start fake rumors of other players, and the bloggers and media fall for it year after year.

In the end, the teams will do what they want and not what some lazy draft “expert” says. It’s always amusing to read the post mortem analysis where these “experts” will blast or praise a team based on how close the results matched their own mock draft.

28. flavordave says: Apr 28, 2011 5:19 PM

@whatswiththehate

Im guessing that you didnt see the Gruden QB show. As dumb as dumb is he is.

29. channelguy says: Apr 28, 2011 6:34 PM

You guys who think he said he had Ponder going to the Patriots or Dalton to the Falcons need to actually READ the entries. He doesnt think either of those teams will select the QBs. He thinks they will TRADE the picks to teams looking for a QB looking to trade into this part of the draft.