Peter King says Texans GM Smith is “loathe” to trade up

Patrick Peterson Pic AP

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle was adamant this week that the Texans want to trade up in the draft, specifically targeting LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson and Texas A&M outside linebacker Von Miller.

Miller looks increasingly out of reach, as ESPN’s Todd McShay, Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, CBS Sports’ Rob Rang, and NFL Network’s Mike Mayock all anticipate the Butkus Award winner going No. 2 to Denver.

At worst, Miller would go No. 3 to Buffalo.

Peterson, in theory, could be a realistic target if he falls to No. 5 or 6. McShay went so far as to predict a Texans-Cardinals trade in his final mock, slotting Peterson to Houston with Arizona moving down.

But SI.com’s Peter King throws cold water on McClain and McShay’s lines of thinking in his 2011 NFL Draft Primer.

“I’ve been told in the past couple of days,” writes King, “that Houston G.M. Rick Smith is loathe to use so much draft currency to move up from 11 to five or seven to get Peterson.”

Such a move would — at the very least — cost Houston the Nos. 11 and 42 overall picks in the draft.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Draft, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Peter King says Texans GM Smith is “loathe” to trade up”
  1. burntorangehorn says: Apr 28, 2011 1:24 PM

Peterson may just be better as a cornerback than any other player in the draft is at any other position. I think he is, actually. Trading up for that kind of player would be justifiable. Trading up could mean either Peterson (elite DB) or Miller (elite pass-rusher). Not trading up could mean Amakumara (also potentially elite DB) and any number of good second-round pass-rushers. That might help the team more.

2. scoopandslam says: Apr 28, 2011 1:29 PM

I’m guessing you cut out part of Peter’s quote. I’m sure it ACTUALLY went like this:

“I’ve been told in the past couple of days, that Houston G.M. Rick Smith is loathe to use so much draft currency to move up from 11 to five or seven to get Peterson. Maybe.”

3. berniemadoffsides says: Apr 28, 2011 1:31 PM

If he’s there at #3, he’s absolutely worth trading the Texans’ 1st and 2nd round picks. The Houston defense desperately needs a playmaker in their secondary, and there’s no better player available in this draft than PP.

4. mybuttsayspft says: Apr 28, 2011 1:36 PM

Thanks Peter King, your use of the word loathe makes my hatred for you that much stronger.

5. lucky5934 says: Apr 28, 2011 1:37 PM

I loathe Peter King.

6. joetoronto says: Apr 28, 2011 1:38 PM

“Rick Smith is loathe”?

Who the hell talks like that, besides Peter King?

What a tool.

7. batterychucker says: Apr 28, 2011 1:42 PM

Now THAT sounds more like our idiot GM than anything else. We had a horrible special teams last year, and he come out and says “we have a pretty good kick returner in Holliday” who didn’t even play last year

8. batterychucker says: Apr 28, 2011 1:43 PM

Oh yeah, he also said he doesn’t believe in drafting for need, he only believes in drafting for value…

9. tmac48 says: Apr 28, 2011 1:44 PM

“tmac48 says: Apr 26, 2011 5:49 PM

How the hell is a 1,3,4 and a bust in Okoye supposed to get you up to #2? In the end, the Texans will do the conservative thing and the fans will be let down as usual. Here’s hoping Aldon Smith is a beast…”

That was in response to the first post about McClain saying we would move up. What can I say, I know my team…

10. bfridley says: Apr 28, 2011 1:54 PM

“Smith is loathe to use so much draft currency”

…is that terrible grammar, or am I retarded?

Thumbs Up if it’s bad grammar
    Thumbs Down if I’m retarded

11. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Apr 28, 2011 1:58 PM

I’m too lazy and unmotivated to look this up, but I believe that in the context King used that word, he used it properly, but misspelled it. In that form, it is “loath”.

Examples:

I loathe this stupid lockout situation.

I am loath to read about this stupid lockout situation.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

12. weathersusa says: Apr 28, 2011 2:02 PM

Is there a worse GM in the NFL than Rick Smith? Peterson and Miller are special palyers. Julio Jones is a special player. The last thing that I would ever say about the Texans is that they have too much talent. Aldon Smith will be a reach at 11. Frankly, I hope they go ahead and waste the pick. Teh Texasn will NEVER be successfuk with Kubiak and Smith at the helm!

13. sterilizecromartie says: Apr 28, 2011 2:08 PM

If they didn’t go out and inexplicably win their last game of the year they would be picking in the 5-7 range and they wouldn’t be in this predicament in the first place.

14. rhage13 says: Apr 28, 2011 2:09 PM

my sources are telling me that 1 out of 5 post on PFT are hyping something Peter King wrote

15. kimbo39 says: Apr 28, 2011 2:40 PM

Pretty sure the word King meant to use is “loath” which means reluctant, unwilling, disinclined.

16. tjrubleysaudible says: Apr 28, 2011 2:49 PM

weathersusa

…Teh Texasn will NEVER be successfuk with Kubiak and Smith at the helm!

***

The successfuk typo is the best thing I’ve read today.

17. jsratx says: Apr 28, 2011 3:10 PM

I’m for anything that accelerates the ouster of Kubiak and Smith.

Would rather lose the battle to win the war.

18. thekingdave says: Apr 28, 2011 3:53 PM

Scott Robinson,

I was hoping the end of On Further Review would also signal the end of your input on anything sports related. I was wrong.

19. thefiesty1 says: Apr 28, 2011 4:30 PM

Not going to happen. It’s the Texans for God’s sake.