Cam Newton vows to learn Panthers’ playbook “as soon as possible”

AP

Cam Newton made his first appearance as the Carolina Panthers’ franchise quarterback today, and he promised to be a student of the game who can master the team’s offense.

Asked at his introductory press conference how soon he’ll get his playbook and learn the offense, Newton answered, “As soon as possible — with all caps and exclamation points.”

I guess that should be, “AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!”

Newton said that making the transition from the spread attack he ran at Auburn to a pro-style offense is his highest priority, and that he’s going to show that he can do it.

“This is something that I want to do,” Newton said. “I know there’s a lot of critics that critique me as a person and a player, but I’m my biggest critic.”

72 responses to “Cam Newton vows to learn Panthers’ playbook “as soon as possible”

1. As opposed to the rest of the players who will wait until August?!? What other option does he have if he wants to play or more importantly get paid?

2. Duh, earlier he said he was going on a “much needed vacation” with his momma.

Maybe the playbook will go with him?

3. Good luck with that Panthers!

I don’t want to tear the kid down, but the little I have seen from him (Gruden’s QB deal), I was not impressed. I think he is Vince Young 2.0. It has nothing to do with the character questions about him, I just see him struggling with the pro game and he will only skate through for so long on his athletic ability. He may be a decent starter, but not the franchise QB that the Panthers think he will be.

Hopefully I am wrong, he will be really fun to watch if he does become a true star.

4. He still won’t be able to read defenses. Is the first receiver open? Nope…time to run.

Thank God I’m not a Carolina fan! I’d be pissed!

5. This is not going to end well for carolina. The good news is they’ll be back at the top next year to get a third qb in as many years

6. It’s too bad the Bills didn’t get him. Cam’s dad could have pointed toward Toronto’s CN Tower and claimed, “Son, I made them name it after you.”

7. chadmurdigan says: Duh, earlier he said he was going on a “much needed vacation” with his momma.

i said that same thing on the clausen post but it got deleted. i guess the censors had character concerns about my post.

8. U dumbasses. He was asked what he was going to do for his mom and he said take her on a vacation. My god u idiots blow everything out of proportion. That is just as dumb as getting mad at Peyton manning for his concussion joke

9. Watch out Jimmy, he’s going to be cheating off you all off season!

Funniest line from last night: “With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Panthers select Jamarcus Russell… Oh wait that’s Cam Newton!” – Some Twit on Twitter.

10. Make he should not jump in with both feet and first learn how to just say the NAME of a play.

11. Everyone just continues to put this guy down and write him off.

He may have his flaws but I for one hope he can improve of them, and that he succeeds in his attempt to be a productive NFL quarterback.

All the best Cam

12. Based on his Wonderlic Score and work ethic he’ll have the playbook down pat by August!

(August 2020!)

13. Good, maybe his mama can read it to him before he goes to sleep when he’s ——

ON VACATION

14. You could just hear the Carolina brass and half of America cringe when he was interviewed and said the first thing he was doing was going on a vacation. Not a good thing to say.

15. Unless the playbook is nothing more than “you run a post pattern and you stay short”, this isn’t happening anytime soon. Auburn and Tubberville (sp?) did this kid no favors.

16. This is going to drive Chudzinski crazy. Does anyone realize how long it’s going to take him to write his 900 pg playbook in crayon for Cam? Maybe he can do all his audibles in a paint-by-numbers theme so JeMarcus Newton can follow along.

17. So glad the Vikings didn’t draft this BUST. Ponder was clearly the best QB in this draft and will own the NFC North for years.

18. I’m not sure if he’ll become a star or not just because he’s not in a prime position to succeed thanks to the state of the Panthers right now.

The team is aging, they have traded away a lot of their picks the past few years, and they have massive needs on defense that will be exploited at least 6 games a year by the Bucs, Falcons, and Saints.

That’s not even going into his receiving corps, which will be oft-injured Jeremy Shockey at TE, possibly a returning Steve Smith as his #1 WR, and whoever they scrape together with picks from the 3rd on or from the FA ranks to be his supporting WRs.

19. Newton answered, “As soon as possible — with all caps and exclamation points.”

So I’m guessing that Cam didn’t never learned he only needs one exclamation point at the end of his sentence. Oh I know I am just mad I wasn’t the first pick in the draft, because you know when I woke up yesterday I was sure I would be the 1st pick in the draft EXCLAMATION POINT(S)

20. apac6586 says:
    Apr 29, 2011 1:12 PM
    The title should read: Cam Newton vows to learn to read “as soon as possible.

*********************************************

Cuz lourd nos wes kan’t reed! Mai kwestshun iz y did he steel a laptahp if he kan’t reed?

21. apac6586 says:
    Apr 29, 2011 1:12 PM
    The title should read: Cam Newton vows to learn to read “as soon as possible.

*********************************************

22. I don’t want to tear the kid down, but the little I have seen from him (Gruden’s QB deal), I was not impressed. I think he is Vince Young 2.0.
    ——————————–
    Seriously, if you’re going to criticize someone for their lack of intelligence then maybe you can try and form an original though for yourself instead of constantly repeating everything that is spoonfed to you..Sheesh.

And it’s good to see you like your QBs generic and boring. Why don’t you just go ahead and hang the sign…QB Position Is An Exclusive Club. Need not apply if you don’t look and sound like us. They already claimed they have the “Mike Vick.” Which I’m not sure what that means but is sound very insercure to me.

Good luck Cam. It’s clear the pitbulls in the media and their spoonfed fans see it fit to intensify their attack on you cause helps them to feel better about themselves. Such low self-esteem.

23. mvp43 says: Apr 29, 2011 1:24 PM

Next: learn to take a snap under center and throw accurate passes.

If Tebow can do it, Cam Newton can.

24. apac6586 says:
    Apr 29, 2011 1:12 PM
    The title should read: Cam Newton vows to learn to read “as soon as possible.”
    —————————–
    Some of you NFL fans are starting to prove other sports fans right when they say you’re not that bright.

25. Look up Joseph C Phillips (LT Martin Kendall on The Cosby Show,) and tell me that isn’t Cam Newton’s real father.

26. If he brings the right attitude he’ll be fine because he has all the physical tools to succeed. The Panthers would be wise however to go get a veteran QB to help guide him along and show him how to be a pro. Best of luck to him!

27. The caps turned out to be dopey flat billed baseball caps with the bill turned up. The exclamation points were taken without consent from another person after they asked “Where is my ****ing computer!!!!!!!!!!”.

28. Although those comments may come as a surprise to Nolan Nawrocki, who surely thought he was Newton’s biggest critic, Newton said all the right things in his first meeting with the media. Time will tell whether he does the right things, on the field and off.

===============

It won’t surprise Nawrocki or just about anyone else in the world other than you apparently, because we all realize he was pretty much reading from a memorized script written by his handlers.

29. Sound like a bunch of Big Ten whiners. JRussell was lazy way before he got to the NFL.

But you punks have every right to your opinions. You can keep a tab on my offseason workouts and studies on Twitter and Facebook. I’ll also post some pictures of my vacation.

Pls post some of your vacation pics to my page as well, I always like shots of trailer parks, local zoos and and redneck bars.

30. Ya gotta feel sorry for Carolina fans…..this is going to set that franchise back even further. Newton couldn’t read a “stopsign” much more a playbook. This dude only wants the money and the “fame” and the hell with dedicating himself to football.

31. the7thpolymath says:
    Apr 29, 2011 3:00 PM
    All of you, who predict Cam Newton wont be successful, are going to be speechless when he’s winning games.

—————————————–
    just as vince young and jamarcus russell have left us speechless!!!!

32. thejuddstir says:
    Apr 29, 2011 3:13 PM

and I’m gonna get all 3 juddyboy. You sound like a “Natylite” kind of guy. Let me guess, Ohio State punk?

33. @thejuddstir (and the others who share his view)

Why are you guys so miserable? Do your lives really suck THAT much?

34. @ tv426 who says:

He will find out real quick that an NFL playbook doesn’t contain plays like 11 and 37.
    —————————–
    Actually, when an offense is in hurry up mode, and there’s no time for a mouthful of “verbiage,” quarterbacks will call plays using a single word or sign.

35. Carolina thinks that they have the next Mike Vick, everybody else thinks he is the next Jamarcus Russell…

Only time will tell.

36. Congratulations Carolina, you just took a completely raw QB who can’t even call a play from his Auburn “career,” who has never played a pro style offense. Who also needs training camp to at least try to learn it, but oh, wait you’re too busy locking the players out because you’re pissed because you took a crappy deal a few years ago and then later realized that it was a crappy day, and now expect the players to give some of it back without PROVING that you need it. The NFL is slowly losing my interest, and last nights 20% decline in the ratings compared to last year is proof that football is NOT bullet proof.

37. arzcardinals says:
    Apr 29, 2011 2:19 PM
    Cam just hired Jamarcus Russell as his tutor.

————————————————–
    And we expect Russell to show up????

38. congrats cam, i hope you do well.

@apac6586

The only thing that cam needs to learn how to read is that 8 figure check he’s about to get

39. Only after that “much needed vacation.”

Even if it was a gaffe, it may indicate a deeper issue: a knee-jerk sense of entitlement. It’s worth wondering why that was at the tip of his tongue moments after being drafted.

And it’s not just him; his mother solemnly nodded her head in agreement when he said that.

Maybe it’s reading too much into it, but there it is: a draftee who may care less about maxing and more about relaxing, surrounded by enablers. . .

Carolina fans, your 2011 No. 1 pick!

40. doesnt matter if newt performs or not he’ll only be popular in north carolina if he can drive a nascar. grrrr!!!

41. mvp43 says: Apr 29, 2011 1:24 PM

Next: learn to take a snap under center and throw accurate passes
    =====================================

That is not why the Panthers drafted him.
    He is there to sell jerseys to idiots that don’t know anything about the game.
    Or don’t care.