Jeff Ireland, Brandon Marshall finally get to talk

Miami Dolphins Davone Bess celebrates with teammate Brandon Marshall after Marshall scored a touchdown against the Buffalo Bills during fourth quarter NFL football game in Miami Reuters

Even though the league didn’t officially re-open its doors until today, the Dolphins finally have had a chance to speak with their star receiver who, one week ago today, caught something other than a football.

At a press conference following the team’s selection of former Florida center Mike Pouncey, G.M. Jeff Ireland said that he has spoken with Brandon Marshall.

“I did talk to Brandon [Thursday],” Ireland said.  “I just reached out to him because I was able to, and we’re going to probably talk tomorrow a little bit, but right now I know enough to be dangerous I guess you could say.  We’re going to continue to follow that situation, but until I get a chance to really sit down and talk to him face to face I’m not going to jump to any conclusions.”

Though Marshall ultimately was the victim of a serious crime, the person who stabbed him — his wife — claims she was acting in self-defense.  Coupled with Marshall’s claim to police that he fell on a vase, the Dolphins have good reasons to get to the bottom of this one, not only to find out whether Marshall did anything wrong but whether he can be trusted to be straight with the team moving forward.

The stakes are fairly high on this one.  The Dolphins can trade or cut Marshall and avoid at least $12 million and as much as $15 million in guaranteed money over the next two years.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Jeff Ireland, Brandon Marshall finally get to talk”
  1. duanethomas says: Apr 29, 2011 9:43 AM

Did he ask Brandon was his wife a “ho”. :)

2. tombradyswig says: Apr 29, 2011 9:46 AM

What’s the first thing Jeff said to Marsh?!?!

What does you mom do?

3. psousa1 says: Apr 29, 2011 9:52 AM

Damn you two! It took me a minute to log into this post and you two took my line! Is this a schock? No? Marshall believes he does nothing wrong.

4. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 29, 2011 9:54 AM

Should the Dolphins “cut” their ties with him?

5. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 29, 2011 10:04 AM

I hope Ireland brought Marshall some McDonald’s.

6. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Apr 29, 2011 10:07 AM

Think Ireland mentioned that BM is the reason we don’t have a 2nd Round Pick today, and it would be really nice of him if he could be, oh I don’t know, good?

7. dexterismyhero says: Apr 29, 2011 10:07 AM

Fell on a vase? BWAAAAAHAAAAA.

WTF Brandon……………….

8. lanekelly5 says: Apr 29, 2011 10:36 AM

He should ask Marshall if his wife is a prostitute.

9. tombradyswig says: Apr 29, 2011 10:54 AM

Didn’t this freaking guy just fall on a table or something last yr?

First hings first, get rid of your CRAZY wife!!!

Then, Dude, buddy, stay as far away from sharp objects as possible!!

10. 411dooleybug1 says: Apr 29, 2011 11:14 AM

Since, as of this moment, BM is the Fins biggest (I’d say ONLY but Bess deserves more of a nod than that) offensive threat, getting rid of him would be idiocy… Of course, this is Miami.

11. smackingfools says: Apr 29, 2011 11:14 AM

Cut him. I sick of these kinda guys in the league. I liked him when we first got him but the time he threw the ball at Cutler on the sidelines. And the time he just threw the ball out of bounds after the play for no reason killed both of those drives. Sparano didn’t even pull him which is even scarier. What has happened to the Dolphins! I’m sick of this crap. Go Phins!

12. MichaelEdits says: Apr 29, 2011 11:42 AM

I’m so glad this guy isn’t on my team. We picked first in the draft. We’ve got enough problems. And domestic troubles are the worst troubles of all. Ask anybody. But if anything can help Brandon, it’s being straight with his GM. coach, whoever. If that doesn’t work, maybe he can be the next Ronald McDonald.

13. mfclock says: Apr 29, 2011 11:50 AM

if it was me, I would have cut Marshall (from the team) at 8:00 am this morning..no question. dude is obviously nothing but trouble. one thing that mcdaniels got right for us.

14. msadpoet says: Apr 29, 2011 12:00 PM

I’ll take a stab at this one… The dolphins will not “cut” him. They are tied to him now. They knew exactly what kind of person and player he is. So get used to it.