NFL officially reinstates lockout

The fences are locked in front of the Great Hall of the People ahead of the opening ceremony of the National People's Congress, in Beijing AP

The lockout is no longer enjoined.

After reviewing the temporary stay which was granted Friday evening by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, the NFL officially notified teams that the lockout is back on.

“The clubs have been told that the prior lockout rules are reinstated effective immediately,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Teams can no longer pass out playbooks or have contact with their players.  Weightrooms and team facilities will be closed again.

It only seems fitting in this insane offseason that this announcement would be made after 11 p.m. ET after day two of the NFL Draft.  The league can’t let fans enjoy even one weekend.

The stay is only temporary.  The court is expected to officially rule on a longer stay sometime next week.

Unfortunately, we won’t have the draft to distract us then.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
64 Responses to “NFL officially reinstates lockout”
  1. goldsteel says: Apr 29, 2011 11:52 PM

All this should be making the lawyers for both sides happy since the lawyers win regardless.

2. dewalt2990 says: Apr 29, 2011 11:53 PM

Bad Words!!

3. Brandon Halsey says: Apr 29, 2011 11:54 PM

It was nice while it lasted…

4. red2redman says: Apr 29, 2011 11:55 PM

A sad night for American football!!! Hope the owners and their supporters are happy!!!

5. dylanmusicfane says: Apr 29, 2011 11:57 PM

teabag all involved

6. clawledge says: Apr 29, 2011 11:58 PM

The NFL will be enjoined unless they stop dicking the fans around.

7. rpiotr01 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:00 AM

If PFT cares so much about fans having an NFL draft to enjoy then they should be imploring all fans to root for ownership in this, because De Smith, Jeff Kessler and the rest of the NFLPA* have made clear their intentions to do away with the whole thing.

On the other hand, maybe fans of all teams will continue to flock to this website to read about more college free agents signing with a NY team, Washington or Miami. Yeah, sure.

8. bsandcs says: Apr 30, 2011 12:03 AM

This is making me dizzy

9. ncjjdix says: Apr 30, 2011 12:03 AM

Tank you Roger Goodell and NFL Owners….. I watched the draft, Started to get excited for Football, after I swore I was done cuz of the lockout. The They called the strike off b4 the draft and I thought..Great back to NFL… and then a day after the Day 1 draft…. the pukes go back on strike???? Are you serious….HEY NFL …. Have you not learned from the past strikes…..????

I know this will never happen but fans need to strike against the NFL or any other Billion Dollar League that soaks the money out of our pocket on game day. Any normal guy has to take a damn loan out just so there family can enjoy a game in person….and hope like hell If you’re favorite team is the raod team, and you are wearing a visiting jersey…you don’t get harrassed and jumpped in the parking lot by drunk and/or idiotic fans.

Anyways Fans need to stay away from the draft where they have to buy a ticket to get in…… stayaway from preseason….and mabe even week #1 if they are back. They NEED TO LEARN!!!!

10. Deb says: Apr 30, 2011 12:06 AM

Funny, but the minute I heard this, a lot of the fun went out of the draft. Now that Mallett–the last player I was watching with special interest–has gone, I’m thinking about just following tomorrow’s results online … which would be a first for me.

11. seahawkhuskyfan says: Apr 30, 2011 12:07 AM

lol… No chance a woman was going to determine the outcome of this!!

12. clarkeyj1 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:07 AM

This lockout is taking the same path as Favres retirement plan….

“Should I stay or should I just dissapear”

13. lostsok says: Apr 30, 2011 12:08 AM

The owners think the 8th circuit is anti-union, but there is a legitimate risk to them that in reality they are pro-free market.

It may have been a wiser course of action to try to use this as a chance to gain the upper hand…and not immediately re-lock out. The haste with which they responded seems to reaffirm the suspicion that the owners WANT the season lost to take back utter control of the league.

Good faith, indeed.

And yet Goodell is trying to scare fans into believing the players threaten the draft…which is ONLY threatened if there’s no CBA. It’s a strategy as risky is at is transparent.

14. Trey says: Apr 30, 2011 12:09 AM

Don’t blame the owners the are the ones who decided to decertify. Typical elite media propaganda, blame those with the perceived power.

15. ncjjdix says: Apr 30, 2011 12:13 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

16. clarkeyj1 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:13 AM

AND THEN REAPPEAR!

17. 90lbwuss says: Apr 30, 2011 12:17 AM

Never underestimate the power of rich white men in this country to get whatever they want.

18. stixzidinia says: Apr 30, 2011 12:18 AM

————————————-

Only after they found out about the owners’ attempt at securing a lockout warchest, and after the NFL’s refusal to budge from their ridiculous offer. Not even a week after the NFLPA decertified the NFL stated that subsequent offers would only get worse. Of course, that was before the NFL took a beating in court when the NFL thought they had the leverage.

“Elitist media”? Please. The facts are right there in front of your face. Put the pieces together. The owners have been banking on this lockout for years. The players asked to extend the recent CBA and the owners refused. And the league has still not opened its books to prove their so-called claims of “financial risk” at a time when the league has never generated more money than it does now. Contrast that with the NBA, where owners have already provided full disclosure to the players…..because they really ARE losing money.

19. folkcrusader says: Apr 30, 2011 12:20 AM

Funny, it took them 3 days to comply with the injunction but only 3 hours respond to the stay.

20. mikel12q12q says: Apr 30, 2011 12:20 AM

The league can’t let fans enjoy even one weekend???? and the players and there lawyers never had a chance to end this????

21. jeff061 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:22 AM

This is good news – only way this gets settled is if the lockout stands and the players are forced to neogotiate.

22. pappageorgio says: Apr 30, 2011 12:26 AM

The same people who say the players are completely within their rights to enter in the litigation process are the people who are blaming the owners for using their rights under the appeal process.

This is the way litigation and the judicial process works…….did everyone just expect the owners to accept every decision the minny courts (who have a pro-union slant) with out argument or appeal? In reality, judge nelson’s decision not to stay her ruling temporarily pending appeal was a bit of a stretch anyway, and was only done to make the NFL look like bad guys (and to make her look like a good guy) when the stay was approved by the appellate court (which she knew it would be….no matter how much time she spent crafting her decision in this case)

This was expected and how it works. You can’t blame the owners for exercising their rights in a judicial process that was initiated by the players.

23. crycal says: Apr 30, 2011 12:28 AM

Look, I am as big an NFL crack head as anyone out there, but I want the NFL to be right. I am willing to take the necessary step back in order for the players and DUMBASS SMITH not to ruin what is right. It is the offseason people! Let things run their course so that we don’t lose things like the draft and free agency. The players need to lose this battle or it is bad for fans of each and every sport. They are not partners, they are employees, very, very well paid employees and they need to stop acting like they own the league. If they want to then they can invest their money in something instead of jewelry (Dez Bryant) and buy a team some day (Mr. Richardson of Carolina). Bottom line is that this is a good thing in the long haul for all of us.

24. dickroy says: Apr 30, 2011 12:29 AM

@Deb

I agree with you. The draft is less exciting for me too. Hey I learned from a past post about your beating cancer. I am very happy for you. I just want to say that I enjoy your post. I never pass one up. From one Steeler friend to another God bless you.

25. nyncsports says: Apr 30, 2011 12:29 AM

Even though I’m a Panther fan. Jerry Richardson is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth

26. CKL says: Apr 30, 2011 12:33 AM

I’m actually pretty surprised this was granted.
    I understand why the owners locked the players out, I just hate all the ramifications of it like the injured player not being able to get treatment and things like that.

27. 411dooleybug1 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:37 AM

Eff ‘em all

28. phelbin says: Apr 30, 2011 12:37 AM

red2redman says:

————-

Sad for those who can’t see beyond the simple concept of games as soon as possible? Perhaps. But for those of us who see this as a necessary evil to secure the long-term future of the game, this is “good” news.

29. glen1904 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:52 AM

common sense has instated a lock out of me until these people give a sheet about the game and its fans.
    not a big fan of BCS system but I’ll get football on saturday and golf fishing and hunting on sunday this year, done with these greedy a holes. Its a business! really most businesses give a damn about their customer but not thees spoon-fed punks.

30. bsandcs says: Apr 30, 2011 1:04 AM

@stixzidinia

Obviously both sides share blame in this mess but in your post you talk about the “facts” and I think you are missing quite a few in your “open the books” argument that NFLPA* supporters continuously bring up. the owners did offer to open their books on more than one occasion and because i don’t feel like explaining everything out once again, and because i suppose im lazy, I am borrowing a post from eagleswin who lays it out

eagleswin says:
    Apr 29, 2011 4:17 PM

1) The owners offer of financial information went way beyond anything they were required to show in the CBA agreement.

2) The owners offered to let an independent 3rd party accounting firm to audit the books and give the players the players the condensed results.

3) DeMaurice, by his own admission, declined point #2 for PR reasons.

4) Google the NBA CBA negotiations which are going on now and see what opening the books has done for them. The players are more contentious than ever. They don’t want accounting principles such as “depreciation” to count as an expense. They also want a cut of the owners other businesses revenue. If anything opening the books has opened a whole new can of worms.

5) This one is just because i’m tired of the whole “open the books” blind parrotting. Why the heck don’t the players need to show auditted W2s for every single player every time they want to negotiate for more money or benefits? Because it’s stupid that why yet some people get a sound bite in their head an it rattles around in there for months.

31. halo81 says: Apr 30, 2011 1:09 AM

No more draft for me. No more NFL.com or NFL Network for me.

I’m seriously done at this point.

I’ve just had enough of the pestilence. To be honest, the draft didn’t even excite me because this has left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel like I used to about baseball when I just couldn’t be bothered to watch it.

Going to the ballgame tomorrow instead now.

32. goldrush36 says: Apr 30, 2011 1:13 AM

Ridiculous offer? please put the koolaid down. So many players have said the owners actually got the shaft in the last CBA. Yet now they want to put it in even deeper to get more money on top of the ludicrous contracts they get to go out there and act like whiny bitches. Oh I can’t live on that 60 million over 5 years! Take that BS elsewhere. As far as I’m concerned the players and owners can both collectively kiss my @ss. When it’s all said and done though, I can’t support already overpaid players getting an even bigger piece of the pie!

33. mystictate says: Apr 30, 2011 1:24 AM

Okay let me see if i got this correct. The players are going to try to force the owners into a new cba favoring them or force the owners to operate as 32 independent companies making their own rules. So with no min. pay other than min wage all the bottom of the rosters will be making 80k a year instead of 350k. I think the players need to be careful what they ask for because even if the owners have the lockout lifted agianst them again and the players truly cry anti trust for everything and the owners get fed up with the players atacking the draft, supp draft, they will pretty much attack everything the nfl does as a whole. What happens when it is a free market like the wild wild west and college football is ruined cause the nfl steals them all. And even high school players arent off limits(seen barry sanders jr highlights???)

34. dotnukem says: Apr 30, 2011 1:48 AM

I don’t understand how millionaires & billionaires can fight over money…

35. iamgoodkid says: Apr 30, 2011 2:00 AM

this is redicilous college football here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. iamgoodkid says: Apr 30, 2011 2:02 AM

sorry MLB i just dont get you!!!!!!

37. whoknowsnothing says: Apr 30, 2011 2:12 AM

so much for getting season tickets, the chance of replacement players is still possible. rather watch the AFL.

i guess i can start watching the MLB, NBA, and Hockey while this mess is sorted out.

38. wigwam101 says: Apr 30, 2011 3:45 AM

The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.
    —Shakespeare

39. nflpasux says: Apr 30, 2011 6:07 AM

jeff061 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:22 AM

—————————————————

Succinct but accurate description of the entire dispute. Even those union shills who spam these comments sections should be supporting a negotiated settlement, if they want to see football played this Fall and care about the long-term viability of the game.

40. steveej says: Apr 30, 2011 6:10 AM

OK.. What’s the Commish’s email address so I can let him know that I, for one (and you if you agree), are tired of taking my money and loyalty all these years and therefore my money and loyality to the NFL is enjoined! They couldn’t even let us have a weekend and the future players meet the press at our former teams facilities. How much will this cost the NFL owners? Have they calculated that! Maybe they should fire the lawyers to sve some of their special cash..

Former Dolphin Fan.. Going back to College Ball! Screw you NFL..

41. twindaddy says: Apr 30, 2011 7:08 AM

anyone who thinks this is bad doesn’t understand what is going on.

42. fltharley says: Apr 30, 2011 7:51 AM

the players already agreed to take a cut they were making 59% of revenue the players acually agreed to take a cut to 50% , but the damn greedy owners decieded that wasnt enough they just cant live with that. i cant take it anymore the hell with roger goodell and the greedy friggin rich owners . take your game of footb all and shove it where the sun dont shine . just cancelled my season tickets and i wont watch nfl channel or nfl.com i will not give the owners one more dime. besides the way the greedy ass oil companies are screwing us i wont have money for the gas to travel 150 miles to the games. i hate republicans and republican judges

43. truvikingfan says: Apr 30, 2011 8:16 AM

Like many other people, I am a selfish person…..I want the draft, I want FA, I want to see what my team does to improve. Nothing generates more drama than a little speculation. With that said, I will give it up to ensure the future of the game “we all dig”. There is a reason the NFL has become a 9 billion dollar business. That is because of the structure of the league (draft, FA, etc…)

Now, with that said, again, somebody here needs to scream uncle, because the future of the game, with this crap going on, is seriously in doubt. The business of the NFL is going to suffer irreperable harm from us fans, because nobody can open their eyes and see they are destroying the game, by alienating the very people that pay their wages.

In my own opinion, a new CBA needs to be figured out, NOW!! Until than, both sides can stick it.

Sincerely,
    A very pissed off fan

44. eagleswin says: Apr 30, 2011 8:18 AM

I hate to bring politics in here but bear with me as i’m trying to condemn a specific practice and not a political party. Unfortunately, the examples i have are only from one side.

“Open your books” is a similar tactic to the “birther” movement or from a few years ago “swiftboating” which was, i believe the first time this tactic was used.

It’s the practice of focusing people on something minor and possibly false because you are losing on the real issues.

Swiftboating wasn’t relative to the presidential campaign at the time because it had no bearing on the issues the country faced but by smearing the presidential candidate’s past, it overshadowed the real issues. It was later proven that the war vets claims were false and were completely funded by the republican party.

Obama’s birth certificate has been the holy grail for some in this country since he’s been elected. Not the deficit, not taxes, not the crumbling infrastructure. Not anything actually relevent to running this country. Now that the aforementioned piece of paper has been published online so that the country can move on, now Trump is attacking his education. Think about this, this is part of the dumbing down of America. We are so focused on the minor details that people frequently miss the bigger picture. As a nation we are easily swayed by shiny baubles and the latest entertainment tonight newsflash rather than what is important. There’s a reason that politicians aren’t held accountable for what they vote for, it’s because we are more obsessed with their personal lives than their political ones.

The “show us your books” soundbite is just another shiny bauble for a nation that has an average attention span of 30 seconds or less. They can’t be bothered to think independently and do their own research. We’ve been told what to do by the TV so long that we blindly follow whatever pops up on the screen.

45. jc1958cool says: Apr 30, 2011 8:25 AM

roger pinnochio at work again! says he’s for the game what a dip _____

46. Patriot42 says: Apr 30, 2011 8:50 AM

The NFL is privilege not a right. The fans give you the opportunity to play if it weren’t for the fans there wouldn’t be TV contracts and no network coverage. If the owners and players want to have a league it might be wise to get a settlement soon.

47. stevem7 says: Apr 30, 2011 8:52 AM

So funny reading stixzidinia’s reply about only after learning of the owners attempt to secure a lockout warchest. Greatest attempt to re-write history going. Lets deal with the FACTS. Two years ago the Union began providing training and advice to the players about putting money aside for this very purpose. The Union advised players on the advisability of having things paid off and not have a lot of debt because the Union knew it was going to decertify two years before they did it. Then the Union spent two years bargaining IN BAD FAITH because it never had any intention of negotiating a Collective Bargaining Agreement. You can have the last word stixzidinia but you can’t refute those facts.

48. greenmeattruck says: Apr 30, 2011 8:53 AM

Welcome to our system of “justice”, where lawyers make money and nothing makes sense. DeMoron and Goodell are to blame for letting it get this far. Our beautiful game, once a model of how pro sports should operate, is SOILED!!!

49. ravenution says: Apr 30, 2011 8:55 AM

Well if owners can ignore a court order, then the players should do the same and still show up.

50. pigeonpea says: Apr 30, 2011 9:00 AM

red2redman says:

I for one would much rather see the lockout continue through 2012 than see the players eliminate the draft, cap and everything else that make the sport exciting to watch every week.

As for the draft, I have had zero interest since Goodell switched from the weekend format. It used to be a two day party for my friends and I. Now I read about the picks on Monday morning when they are finished.

51. fatguystrangler says: Apr 30, 2011 9:23 AM

This is a bum wrap for undrafted free agents. Am I mistaken in saying they’re in limbo until a CBA is reached? As a Colts fan, they rely so heavily on undrafted FA’s, this is discouraging news.

As stated numerous times already, the lawyers are winning, though. They will be racking up the billable hours.

52. varaider says: Apr 30, 2011 9:45 AM

Everyone keeps bashing the players… why?

It’s OBVIOUS who doesn’t want football… Haven’t the TWO (2) Lockouts provided enough proof to you who is REALLY f’n over the fans?

Come on man… the players were flooding back to the facilities to WORK and get on with the seasons… and TWICE the NFL and their OWNERS have turned them away… So all you IDIOTS that are blaming this on the Owners are ridiculous… You fools act like the PLAYERS went on STRIKE or something…

The evidence is as plain as day, as logical as can be… Only ONE side in this fight has the AUTHORITY to STOP FOOTBALL and that is the NFL/Owners… they’ve done it TWICE already…. It was the OWNER who opted out of the CBA…. NOT the players…

But yea, blame the PLAYERS (past and present) for wanting a FAIR deal for turning millionaires into BILLIONAIRES… They have EVERY RIGHT to want the best for themselves, just like any of us… The Owners don’t live the rest of their lives battered and bruised, the owners don’t risk their entire livelihood everytime THEY step on the field… These billionaires just want to be TRILLIONAIRES at the players expense… and they want to Strong arm them into doing it…

Its easy for all of you “owner backers” to say what you say, because you will NEVER be in a players’ position on this… You all were probably the last ones to get picked for teams in elementary school, the first ones to get cut from every tryout… have never played a SINGLE play of ORGANIZED sports in your life…

Just shut up and recognize the OBVIOUS… the NFL and its OWNERS are the ones who STOPPED football… they are the only one who CAN STOP football….

53. bsandcs says: Apr 30, 2011 10:56 AM

fltharley says:
    Apr 30, 2011 7:51 AM

—————————————————

This is completely misleading. they players only agreed to take a “cut” to 50% if the owners gave back the billion they take of the top that they use for, you know, expenses associated with running an enormous business. So when you do the math, the players were actually NOT agreeing to a ‘cut’ at all.

People like to paint the players as the poor bullied victims who are bending over backwards here, but this just another example of one of their offers done in poor faith while they waited for the courts.

54. jaxjoe says: Apr 30, 2011 11:07 AM

Guys, guys, guys…
    Put your politics to the side because this has nothing to do with the classic union vs. company plight. In fact, if pro-union collectivist socialist types would look at the facts, they would be pro-NFL because it is they who want the CBA. Whereas the players who freely elected to disband the union in a more individual-rights approach should attract most right wing free-market types.

But the reality is that both sides want a CBA, just one that pays out the most $$. That’s all this argument is about.

This where Judge Nelson got it wrong. She looked at the argument based on the current situation that the players were no longer in a union, and therefore, Federal labor laws no longer apply, and therefore the NFL cannot continue in a anti-trust exempt manner. So the Appellate judges recognized that the intent (both in words, in action, and historically) of the players is to be unionized, and therefore cannot have it both ways. To get favorable rulings as if they were a union, and to get favorable rulings as if they were independent. Hence, the “sham.”

This stay, should send a chill to the NFLPA to come back to the table faster than the owers would in a non-lockout environment. And therefore, more assuredly a 2011 season.

I like the way the game is now (current CBA). But I can sympathize with the owners that a 60/40 split is way too much to give the players. Especially if the players are taking any financial risk along with the owners.

My take is that the smaller market teams, like here in jacksonville, are really taking a beating trying to remain solvent, and that the revenue sharing is not helping that much. And the revenue sharing is gouging the wealthy owners to the point of profitability. Guys… most companies, small and large, operate at a 30% profit margin. It’s only because of our wacky tax system and bizarre deductions and write-offs that make some companies appear profitless. The owners have to be feeling the effects of this economy and the current 60/40 split is no way to sustain a business.

55. Deb says: Apr 30, 2011 11:08 AM

@dickroy …

Thank you so much! Your kind words are really appreciated. I’ve had it three times, and it can be relentless. But I’ve been very blessed and pray I’ve seen the last of it :)

56. Deb says: Apr 30, 2011 11:17 AM

@seahawkhuskyfan …

You just keep posting silly comments about not letting a woman decide the outcome of this labor action … silly because that was never going to happen and because we certainly couldn’t have done any worse than the men have.

As I posted on another thread, CKL and I are both intelligent, informed football fans and businesswomen with a good understanding of the labor issues. She leans toward the owners and I toward the players, but we both see room for compromise. If you’d put the two of us in a conference room in March, you’d have gotten a new CBA in a few hours and none of this would be happening. That’s because women view negotiating as a thinking process rather than a contest in measuring body parts.

57. bsandcs says: Apr 30, 2011 11:25 AM

fltharley says:
    Apr 30, 2011 7:51 AM

———————————————————

I totally sympathize with you canceling you season tickets. but with respect to your first point you obviously only looked at the two numbers the NFLPA* publicized about this proposal and thought 50<59, the players are making a generous concession to the greedy owners. de smith counts on people like you.

This worthless proposal actually would have been a step back for the owners financially as the players would have taken away the billion off the top the owners currently use for a myriad of business operating and/or capital expenses.

58. chazzmon says: Apr 30, 2011 11:26 AM

Let me get this right we have a 9 billion dollar pie we can’t figure out how to cut up so instead of coming to an agreement we decide to share zero dollars, and lose future revenue and fans. Sound economic principles huh???

59. twindaddy says: Apr 30, 2011 11:29 AM

It’s amazing how many people comment on this subject with no knowledge of the issue.

If you like the NFL the way it is (cap, FA, draft, etc) then this lockout is a good thing because it gives the owners the leverage they need to keep things the way they are.

The players keep shooting themselves in the foot, IMO, by decertifying and then acting like they’re still a union.

The sad thing is is that neither side is willing to sit down and negotiate. They both want their lawyers to do the talking. I don’t know when that’s ever led to anything good.

60. willycents says: Apr 30, 2011 12:26 PM

“eagleswin says:Apr 30, 2011 8:18 AM

I hate to bring politics in here but bear….”

best post on here in weeks..more tds for it.

Just a few thoughts on ending the litigation:

1. Utilize the draft paradigm simply to determine which team has the right to negotiate with the player picked for a fixed timeframe, say, for example, 120 days after the draft. After that,player is free to negotiate with anyone.
    2. Free agency. Include a non-compete clause in every contract barring employment utilizing knowlege/skills gained/improved upon for one year, at(teams discretion).
    3. Eliminate the salary cap per team completely, as with the # of players employed by each team. Substitute with a hard cap on the # of players allowed on the active game day roster and on the gross average income of the active players on the game day roster. (arrived at by dividing gross salary + all bonuses divided by the length of the contract for each player and adding all together).
    4. Simply substitute the International Doping Agency’s drug testing rules, ie, blood and urine tests before and after every game. Any player failing the drug tests results in the team forfeiting the game, and the player is automatically banned from competition in league sanctioned events for 90 days. Works well in olympics and amatuer events.
    5. Rules would only apply to league sanctioned events.
    6. All teams set there own workplace rules and salaries based on applicable federal and individual state laws governing employer/employee matters.

This would give the NFLPA* everything that they are suing for, and give the owners some limitations to provide a competitive balance and give we fans the enjoyment of our sport for a longer period of time without the drama of conflict between the two sides.
    Granted, if the owners instituted this, the players would be re-certifying in ten minutes to strike, but, so be that item.

anyone think this would work in the long and short term?

61. nflfan101 says: Apr 30, 2011 12:30 PM

Everyone who is tired of the legal process should remember that THE PLAYERS PUT THIS WHOLE MESS IN COURT. The owners have begged to negotiate. D. Smith has steadfastly refused to negotiate.

Smith was not kidding when he said it was war. Unfortunately, the owners just thought that it was a disagreement that could be settled through negotiations. THEY WERE WRONG. It is WAR as viewed by the players.

62. pigeonpea says: Apr 30, 2011 4:30 PM

varaider says:

So, because I both despise unions and would like the NFL to remain fair, exciting and competitive, I must have been one of “the last ones to get picked for teams in elementary school, the first ones to get cut from every tryout” and must “have never played a SINGLE play of ORGANIZED sports in [my] life”?

Wow. Some people should never be allowed near a keyboard.

63. packa7x says: Apr 30, 2011 11:18 PM

@fltharley

You’re wrong. The players were not willing to take a pay cut, or at least one of the magnitude you’re implying. How about you do research before you cry about big bad Goodell. I’ll give you the numbers…if you don’t believe me, look up the 2006 CBA yourself.

Yes the players received 58% of total revenue, but that was after the owners took $1 Billion off the top for capital investment. So assuming the total figure is $8Billion, the players received about $4.64 Billion for salaries. Now the 50% they wanted was $0.50 on EVERY dollar the NFL brought in. Obviously, 50% of $9Billion is $4.5 Billion. So the players were willing to take a pay cut of $140 Million dollars. Of course they were also asking for other things as well. Please, just pleaseeeee. Do research before you make an opinion.

64. varaider says: May 1, 2011 2:01 PM

pigeonpea says:
    Apr 30, 2011 4:30 PM

Wow. Some people should never be allowed near a keyboard.

_________________________________

Whatever floats your boat brother… This is MY opinion and I am very much entitled to it…

If you REALLY read into my last post you’ll see, that I’m not pro-union or pro-owners… I was simply making the point that the NFL and its Owners are the ones who STOPPED football… plain and simple… Absent a player strike, the NFL and its Owners are the ONLY ones with the POWER to STOP the season in its tracks…

If thats too hard for you to read, comprehend and understand, maybe YOU shouldn’t be allowed near a MONITOR

And YES… I would bet a lot that most of these owner backers WERE the last to get picked, first to get cut, or have never played organized sports in their life… Because anyone that HAS (especially the game of football) should know the risk you take every second you are on the field, in arguably THE most violent sport in the world… and to be slighted so some people who DON’T take the SAME risk can make THEIR pockets fatter is definitely something worth fighting for…

But in the end, its not the PLAYERS who went on “strike” its the NFL and its Owners… So I stand by my words 100%… The NFL and its OWNERS have stopped football and are on the brink of ruining the game…

PERIOD!