Redskins take a new approach

Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan paces on the sideline during the fourth quarter of their NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars in Jacksonville, Florida AP

Year after year, you can count on the Redskins signing a lot of free agents.  And lacking draft picks.

Mike Shanahan finally broke the trend this year.  By trading down from No. 10 to No. 16 in the first round, the Redskins picked up extra picks and then leveraged those picks to pick up more in a series of trades down.

All in all, the Redskins have picked up five extra draft picks thus far.  While they all won’t work out, this is exactly what the Redskins need.  The team has one of the thinnest rosters in the league, bereft of young quality talent at nearly every position.

This approach may not make sense for every team every year, but it’s the perfect way to go for the 2011 Redskins.  And it’s something they simply haven’t done in the past.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
32 Responses to “Redskins take a new approach”
  1. robbie774 says: Apr 29, 2011 9:20 PM

Shanahan turned one pick – 10 overall – into

127
    146
    152
    217

As a Redskins fan, this is a very refreshing approach. We have needs across the board, and this gives us the opportunity to address them. Shanahan is known for his late round prowess, and I trust that he has a plan for all these picks. Not completely sold on Janoris Jenkins, although I think he can develop into a solid run stopper, especially learning from veterans as established and respected as Phillip Daniels and Vonnie Holliday.

2. hobartbaker says: Apr 29, 2011 9:22 PM

LOL, they going to end up with 14 seventh rounders. Just in case they can’t sign the guys on the board there as free agents. Brilliant.

3. rschaf2 says: Apr 29, 2011 9:23 PM

Sitting on:

3 / 15 – Dolphins
    4 / 30 – Bears
    5 / 15 – Colts
    5 / 21 – Colts
    7 / 14 – Dolphins
    7 / 21 – Colts

4. zoxitic says: Apr 29, 2011 9:31 PM

Quantity does not equal quality.

5. pixelito says: Apr 29, 2011 9:34 PM

The Gints will still bitch slap you.

6. jmhalko says: Apr 29, 2011 9:37 PM

And free agency hasn’t started or maybe it has, but you know mr money bags will get ansy

7. revengeofthefilthymcnasty says: Apr 29, 2011 9:53 PM

Snyder must be locked in a basement somewhere howling and screaming

8. skins23 says: Apr 29, 2011 10:03 PM

Theres a new sheriff(s) in town. Sorry haters, you’re gonna have to get your kicks elsewhere. Vinny is gone and things are gettin done the right way. Deal with it.

9. bison4me says: Apr 29, 2011 10:20 PM

Wow we’re handling the draft like a real Pro Football organization should. I haven’t seen a draft like this since Bobby Betheard and Charley Casserly were in the FO.

10. 1bigtex says: Apr 29, 2011 10:34 PM

@skins23
    “things are gettin done the right way”? Really???Could you please explain the whole McNabb situation for me then. Thanks.

11. passtheduckett says: Apr 29, 2011 10:43 PM

@rschaf2:

i believe 7/21 from indy was for justin tryon last year…

12. thefiesty1 says: Apr 29, 2011 11:06 PM

What a waste of draft picks. Some good players could have gone to some good teams.

13. GG Eden says: Apr 29, 2011 11:18 PM

Redskins have had one of the best drafts so far. Good job by Bruce Allen and Shanahan. I’m not a Redskins fan, but this is what they needed just at this time.

14. brutus9448 says: Apr 29, 2011 11:23 PM

There is a reason shanahan was fired from denver.

15. moneymike23 says: Apr 29, 2011 11:28 PM

Redskins always screw up there picks, who were their late round draft picks last year???

16. jibska says: Apr 29, 2011 11:43 PM

Just in case people forgot….Bruce Allen is actually the GM. RatFace isn’t that great. Bruce wants to return this team to what it was when his father was here. RatFace wanted mcnaab. How did that turn out.

17. dlr4skins says: Apr 29, 2011 11:49 PM

WE WILL HAVE THE BEST BACK-UP SPECIAL TEAMS UNIT IN LEAGUE HISTORY WITH TOMORROW’S 23 SEVENTH ROUND PICKS.

I REALLY THINK KYLE IS GETTING A HANDS ON LESSON ON DRAFTING FROM DAD.

I WOULD HAVE FAITH BUT LOOK BACK WITH THIS SCOUTING DEPT AND YOU WILL FIND THAT ONLY THE UPPER ROUND PLAYERS BECOME AVERAGE AS THE LOWER ROUNDS CAN’T EVEN MAKE THE TEAM.

REMEMBER CODY GLENN, NEBRASKA’S RB DRAFTED TO BE A LB LAST YEAR. COULDN’T MAKE THE TEAM. AS A HUSKER FAN LIVING IN LINCOLN, I WAS EMBARASSED. I KNEW MORE THAN THE SCOUT DEPT. SAD. SAD. SAD.

SNYDER IS THE PROBLEM YOU CLOWNS.

18. goldsteel says: Apr 30, 2011 12:00 AM

I remember the 49ers had success using this strategy when Bill Walsh was the coach. I’m glad the Redskins drafted defense. Haslett needs players to institute his defensive scheme.

19. paredskinwarrior says: Apr 30, 2011 12:07 AM

20. paredskinwarrior says: Apr 30, 2011 12:08 AM

21. paredskinwarrior says: Apr 30, 2011 12:12 AM

HTTR!!! I LOVE THE WAY WE DRATED TODAY!! Hope that they all end up as starters and KICK SOME ASS!! HIPE THAT THE REDSKINS DRAFT ILB CASEY MATTHEWS, ILB MARK HERZLICH, NT CHRIS NEILD, THEN DRAFT A GUARD, RT AND A RB AND ANOTHER WR!! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS AND HAIL TO THE CAPS!!! Tomo will be great the Skins have 9 Picks I think! I WILL BE WATCHING :-) CAN’t WAIT TIL WE CAN TRADE THAT CLASSLESS OVER-RATED JOKEOF A STARTING QB MCNABB!! I HOPE WE TRADE MCJOKE TO THE BILLS FOR PICKS NEXT YEAR ! THAT’s WHERE THAT BUM DESERVES TO GO! Heck he actually SHOULD BE IN THE CFL , that’s what he is WORTH! HTTR!!

22. nodak2de says: Apr 30, 2011 12:24 AM

Thank God for the redskins. As long as they are around, the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants are safe from taking last in the NFC East

23. 07black350z says: Apr 30, 2011 12:39 AM

Lol that redskins fans think that this is a good draft.if you think any of these players besides kerrigan will be relevant in the next 4 years you are dilusional.

24. brewdogg says: Apr 30, 2011 1:00 AM

I’M GOING TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL SPECIAL!!! :) MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE I’M INSECURE ABOUT MY ACNE-COVERED FACE, OR MAYBE I’M JUST A PATHETIC LOSER, BUT I WANT EVERYBODY TO THINK I’M COOL BY PUSHING THAT LITTLE CAPS LOCK BUTTON BEFORE I START TYPING!!!

25. Canyonero says: Apr 30, 2011 1:28 AM

I’ve never seen a PFT thread turn from interesting to completely irritating so quickly.

Congratulations, you moron clowns.

26. dansnyder says: Apr 30, 2011 1:33 AM

@dlr4skins

The reason intelligent posters eventually abandon posting is because of fools like you spread misinformation and fallacy while typing in all caps. You’re making it hard for people like me to obtain respect from the fans of other teams.

27. weneedlinemen42 says: Apr 30, 2011 7:40 AM

“@dlr4skins

wow guy, for someone who claims they know more than the scouting department I would think you would know that Cody Glenn was drafted in 09 and not last year lol. He was a Vinny Cerrato/Jim Zorn pick. Congratulations on making yourself and other Redskins fans look like idiots.”

Cody Glenn also spent the last two seasons on the Colts roster; so, obviously the scouting wasn’t that bad.

28. skinsfantom says: Apr 30, 2011 8:24 AM

love what we did. AWESOME.

29. geemoney713 says: Apr 30, 2011 11:46 AM

@rschaf2
    “Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought they turned that extra 2nd rounder from the Jax trade into six?

Sitting on:

3 / 15 – Dolphins
    4 / 30 – Bears
    5 / 15 – Colts
    5 / 21 – Colts
    7 / 14 – Dolphins
    7 / 21 – Colts”

___________
    Colts 7th rounder was for Justin Tryon last year, not because of trades in this draft.

30. phillyforlife says: Apr 30, 2011 12:02 PM

Not a Redskin fan ,but this is the smartest thing I have seen them do in a long long time.

31. 21slamu says: Apr 30, 2011 2:37 PM

@1bigtex
    Shanahan picked up mcnabb, and Bruce allen is drafting. explained.

32. 1bigtex says: May 1, 2011 9:56 PM

@21slamu

And of course Bruce Allen was out of town when the McNabb trade was made and when the ridiculous contract extension was signed. Bruce is the GM, but he just does the drafting and Shanahan calls all the other shots. That’s what you’re telling me. Okay