Ryan Mallett vows to reward “whatever team is smart enough to pick me”

Allstate Sugar Bowl - Ohio State v Arkansas Getty Images

Ryan Mallett, the quarterback with the big arm and big character questions, didn’t lose any confidence after he was passed over with the first 32 picks in the NFL draft.

“Whatever team is going to be smart enough to pick me, we’re going to make something happen,” Mallett said late Thursday night. “I just want to play ball, that’s what I say. I’m not disappointed. I mean I’m disappointed, but I have a chance to play in the NFL, so I’m not too disappointed.”

Mallett’s comments may come close to crossing the line from confidence to cockiness, but there’s no doubt that he’s a first-round passer now available in the second round. It wouldn’t be at all surprising to see some team make a deal with the Patriots today to take Mallett with tonight’s first pick.

If Mallett isn’t among the first few names called tonight, however, that’s a strong indication that the questions about Mallett’s character go far beyond mere rumors and media speculation. NFL teams don’t pass on a quarterback with a million-dollar arm unless they’re convinced he has a ten-cent head.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Ryan Mallett vows to reward “whatever team is smart enough to pick me””
  1. chuckyd97 says: Apr 29, 2011 9:20 AM

If I was a team, i don’t know if I should draft him or hand him a beer!!!!!

2. bubbabart says: Apr 29, 2011 9:23 AM

Dalton will go ahead of Leaf…er I mean Mallett.

3. berniemadoffsides says: Apr 29, 2011 9:24 AM

“I’m not disappointed. I mean I’m disappointed, but I have a chance to play in the NFL, so I’m not too disappointed.”

O…… k………………

4. purdueman says: Apr 29, 2011 9:24 AM

Malletthead is a deadly cross between Ryan Leaf, Jeff George and Cade Mc Clown, none of whom ever amounted to a hill of beans in the NFL. Good luck to whomever burns a draft pick on this moron!

5. buffalocozzmo says: Apr 29, 2011 9:28 AM

ten-cent head

6. faderwader says: Apr 29, 2011 9:30 AM

Please don’t leave Carson….. we may end up with this huge questionmark. But in the case the Bengals draft him…. welcome abord Ryan, I always believed in you.

7. mgborgli says: Apr 29, 2011 9:30 AM

Going to be the steal of the draft. reminds me so much of drew bledsoe, Wished he went to the Vikings instead of ponder and I know he would have being a reach at 12 based on off the field issues but the guy can flat out throw the football.

8. touchdownroddywhite says: Apr 29, 2011 9:31 AM

The guy is hungry and perhaps this slide will wake him up to the reality of what his actions have already done to his career. I’m willing to bet when all is said and done this guy outperforms anybody taken in the 1st.

9. ernestbynershands says: Apr 29, 2011 9:31 AM

I’m gonna twist up a fatty for whoever picks me.

10. faderwader says: Apr 29, 2011 9:32 AM

Please don’t leave Carson….. we may end up with this huge question mark. But in the case the Bengals draft him…. welcome aboard Ryan, I always believed in you.

11. duanethomas says: Apr 29, 2011 9:33 AM

If this was “street” ball he would have been a sure fire first rounder.

12. kestirce says: Apr 29, 2011 9:34 AM

This dude has Cincinnatti Bengals written all over him.

13. huhwhatumno says: Apr 29, 2011 9:40 AM

Mallett must be a mass murderer… the guy who was taken with the first pick has a history that includes stealing laptops and getting paid to attend his school.

14. dcviking says: Apr 29, 2011 9:41 AM

Ryan “Ebby Calvin Laloosh” Mallet

or should we just call him “Nuke”

15. tombradyswig says: Apr 29, 2011 9:41 AM

Awesome MDS!!!!!

16. spungy says: Apr 29, 2011 9:45 AM

Us Bengal fans will not be disappointed. I mean we will be disappointed, but we’ll have a quarterback, so we won’t be too disappointed.

Hopefully we can still get Dalton…

17. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 29, 2011 9:47 AM

‘NFL teams don’t pass on a quarterback with a million-dollar arm unless they’re convinced he has a ten-cent head….”

==============

Maybe the team that drafts him can get Kevin Costner to catch for him and room with him on the road to prepare him for “The Show”?

18. bubbabart says: Apr 29, 2011 9:50 AM

“This dude has Cincinnati Bengal written all over him…heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

19. dgforreal says: Apr 29, 2011 9:59 AM

20. mrplow3 says: Apr 29, 2011 9:59 AM

Who the hell does this punk think he is?

These damn kids have been told they are so special they all act think they’re Joe Montana.

Hey punk, college skill level is a joke compared to the NFL, you’ve proven NOTHING.

Humble yourself you damn rotten brat.

21. carson9 says: Apr 29, 2011 10:01 AM

Maybe its just me but Mallet reminds me so much of Derek Anderson. A rocket arm but no aim whatsoever….

22. therolandobottom says: Apr 29, 2011 10:15 AM

Nice Bull Durham referance.

23. 52sackmachine says: Apr 29, 2011 10:19 AM

I could see a few team getting Mallett. The Bills, Bengals, Cardnials, Dolphins, 49ers and even the Seahawks . I agree Dalton will be selected first. But I also, had Dalton ahead of Ponder and he went way too early. I think the vikings blew there first round pick. They couldv’e taken Gabbert, and took Ponder. Gabbert is going to be decent for jacksonville, as Mallett, with his character issues, is falling. This doesn’t mean he will be a bad player. Just some teams get scared away, and don’t want this to be a distraction to the football team.

24. dcviking says: Apr 29, 2011 10:19 AM

spungy says: Apr 29, 2011 9:45 AM

Hopefully we can still get Dalton…

———————————————

I’d go for Wade Garrett because I though Dalton would be bigger…

25. thefiesty1 says: Apr 29, 2011 10:21 AM

C’mon Cincy take Mallett instead of Dalton. Andy deserves a better team.

26. jvw1982 says: Apr 29, 2011 10:28 AM

He only has himself to blame, how do you blow a chance to be a 1st rd QB and throw millions away because you like to party? Hopefully this wakes him up and he takes how he behaves seriously

27. gregjennings85 says: Apr 29, 2011 10:35 AM

I was very happy to see the Queens go with Ponder over Mallet.

Bring the China Doll on.

Welcome to the NFC North, where QBs are broken in half.

28. tryagainplease says: Apr 29, 2011 10:44 AM

‘…he has a ten-cent head.’

i don’t really see how that matters considering the 1st pick in the draft doesn’t even a have a one-cent head.

29. dolfan34 says: Apr 29, 2011 10:47 AM

Rumour has it that the team that drafts Mallett he will reward with a bong and keg party. This guy is exactly that….a guy with a ten cent head. Teams got it right on this guy.

30. whatswiththehate says: Apr 29, 2011 10:52 AM

huhwhatumno says:
    Apr 29, 2011 9:40 AM
    —————————–
    And there lies the difference between the media’s world and the real world. You see, unlike you who believe everything the media’s says, those teams actually went out and did their research and background check, so they know the truth. But you keep beleiving everything you read.

Also, I think you need to go work in the sports media, you ability to exaggerate a lie is the kind of skill theycan use.
    ———————————
    ” NFL teams don’t pass on a quarterback with a million-dollar arm unless they’re convinced he has a ten-cent head.”

Well, judging by the free-fall Blaine was taking until a 26th position team caught him at the ten spot, one can only guess that maybe he doesn’t possess that “million-dollar arm” either. Because you know it can’t be his intelligence, you folks already boasted how smart he was. Then again there is a thing as being so smart that your stupid.

Good Luck Mallett.

31. 49ersforever says: Apr 29, 2011 11:15 AM

Mallett speaks the truth. He is the best QB in this draft and whoever picks him is going to look like a genius.

32. CKL says: Apr 29, 2011 11:16 AM

I think pretty much any highly confident player would say (and has in the past said) something similar really. Maybe this dude doesn’t have a way with words…but what he said isn’t much different from what Brady told Mr. Kraft when he was drafted and what Manning told the Colts before he was drafted. Those statements were “borderline ” overconfident ( I think the censors flagged the word I used which is not obscene and rhymes with “socky”so I am resubmitting) also. I mean especially for Brady since he was a 6th rounder of whom little was expected not a highly rated guy like Manning.

It sounds like Mallet was honest with teams about his past and if he did the RIGHT THING and did that I would hope his agent also advised him it might cause teams to shy away. And…if he was honest knowing it would make him fall but did the right thing anyway…that’s a very, very good sign for whoever drafts him as far as his maturity.

33. sterilizecromartie says: Apr 29, 2011 11:24 AM

@ whatswiththehate

Newton did steal a laptop and he did try to get paid to go to college. The first is a fact. The second would be a fact if the NCAA didn’t hide the truth so protect their golden boy and their precious championship game. Why don’t you offer an opinion on the subject instead of snobishly speaking as if you are the only one here who is able to differentiate between the media-world and the real-world?

34. feartheelf19 says: Apr 29, 2011 11:25 AM

If my team needed a QB, I would most definitely take Ryan Mallett. This kid is going to be a stud, no doubt about it.

Someone will give him a chance, and he will work hard to be great. He loves the game, thats what matters most.

35. endzonezombie says: Apr 29, 2011 11:27 AM

Mallet should be encouraged by the fact that there is a huge opportunity for ten-cents heads in the field of internet sports hacks.

36. xerocc says: Apr 29, 2011 11:27 AM

What will you do if you’re drafted in the second round? “I’ll be honest with you, I’m gonna go have a weekend in Vegas…”

37. MichaelEdits says: Apr 29, 2011 11:29 AM

If I ran a team, I’d grab this guy for the IT factor, and I guarantee you my team would outperform anything Matt Millen was running.

Seriously, if my Panthers could trade with the Patriots to get to the top of the second round, and grab Mallett to compete with Newton, not only would I be a very happy fan, but ClausenFace.com would rock the Interwebs.

38. thingamajig says: Apr 29, 2011 11:44 AM

“Call me crazy but I want the Niners to get this guy. His swag would fit in perfectly in Frisco.”

Swag in Frisco? Yup, you’re crazy.

39. champgiff says: Apr 29, 2011 11:48 AM

I’m guessing Cincinnati will take a chance on him. The combination of Mallet and AJ Green would change the firepower of the Bengals offense dramatically….I just wonder if Cincinnati has the right people on staff to keep Mallet heading in the right direction.

40. 1401sse says: Apr 29, 2011 12:02 PM

Let me remind you shallow thinkers of reality. Ryan Mallett has never played in the NFL Ryan Leaf was highly recruited and could not play. Very few had any idea he would be a bust. To compare Mallett to Leaf shows how dumb some of you are. In two years Mallett threw for 7500 yards and 62 touchdowns, IN THE SEC. He lead a dramatic second half come from behind in the sugar bowl. He sliced the vaunted OSU defense. Falling one pass short of upsetting Ohio State. No one at arkansas ever saw any drug abuse. My own son hung around Mallett and never saw that. Mallett was actually known as NOT being a drug users and should not be invited to parties were drugs were used. He was drug tested many times randomly and never failed. He’s known to have the ego of an NFL QB, DUH! His statement that ‘He’s disappointed, but not too much because he is going to the NFL’ seems to be a accurate if not compelling statement. NWArkansas is home to Walmart, Tyson and JB hunt amoung others. It’s people are highly educated. It’s businesses financially unmatched. And culturaly has been in the top of the nation in quality of life and job growth for two decades. I know there are those amoung you who wish it was Dogpatch. But Dogpatch was an amusment park that raked in millions from tourist and provided jobs. The average NW arkansan could whip your tail, makes 40% more than the average american and lives in near paradise in the beauty of the Ozark Mountains. The creeks and rivers are not polluted. There isn’t a single toll road in the State. The natural beauty is unmatched. It’s 3-5 hours from Kansas City, St louis, Memphis. 10 hours from Chicago, Houston and Denver. The stereotyping you see about Arkansas is as false as false can be. Arkansas is an awesome state. Home to the largest company in the world, built by Arkansans. Arkie’s don’t get upset when they see people trashing them. Because truth is on their side.

41. steelerskicktheravens says: Apr 29, 2011 12:06 PM

ryan mallett is a sleeper………….but if he falls to the bungles marvin lewis will ruin him so i see him going to the phins….

42. kazwhopper says: Apr 29, 2011 12:08 PM

“Mallett’s comments may come close to crossing the line from confidence to co ckiness.”

I’m not a fan of Mallett’s, but I don’t think his comments were at all close to crossing that line.

43. cereal blogger says: Apr 29, 2011 12:16 PM

Sure there are work ethic & charactor questions but none of it has been proven. This guy has an elite skill set & is possibly more polished than any QB taken to this point. The guy played on an elite level in AAA (the SEC)….he has a very high ceiling, whoever gets him in Rnd 2 is getting possibly the S T E A L of the century….there is little risk w/ the Rnd 2 money he will get. Gotta go after this kid,,,,my guess is that the Raiders find a way to take him

44. CKL says: Apr 29, 2011 12:40 PM

And maybe some day I will remember to spell his name right …sorry MalletT. :)

45. kyedh3 says: Apr 29, 2011 1:42 PM

MichaelEdits says: Apr 29, 2011 11:29 AM

Mike: your Panthers already took CAM! The Cowboys drafted 2 QB’s (Aikman/Walsh) at the same time and that did not work well.

46. kjamesonark says: Apr 29, 2011 2:06 PM

Thank god there is another Arkansan out here!!!
    Amen, all you mallett haters can stop hatin

47. kyedh3 says: Apr 29, 2011 2:23 PM

48. ruggerlad says: Apr 29, 2011 2:48 PM

If this kid works hard and keeps out of trouble he will be the best QB from this draft. I love that he slipped cuz he now has a huge chip on his shoulder being drafted later than a bunch of QB’s he clearly has more talent than. Ii will not happen but I hope that he keeps sliding down to the Dolphins in the 3rd. The Redskins would not draft an immobile QB as the PFT mock suggests. The Bengals had they not had so many character issues already on the team would have drafted this guy for sure. Someone will take the chance and my gut tells me the Pats are gonna draft him now that he has been humbled he can sit behind Brady for a few years and come in like Aaron Rogers did. NOTE TO ALL GM’S IF THE PATS DO NOT DRAFT THIS KID PLEASE REFRAIN FROM RIPPING YOURSELVES OFF AND GIVING BILLICHEAT ALL OF YOUR DRAFT PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. purdueman says: Apr 29, 2011 2:59 PM

Has it ever dawned on this moron that he cost himself MILLIONS of dollars due to his piss-poor “big man on campus” attitude? Duh-uh!!!

Top QB’s rise to become the face of their franchises; thank God that my team won’t have Mallett-head as the face of theirs.

Mallett=Ryan Leaf, Cade Mc Clown and Jeff George all rolled up into one giant 10 cent head case. You want your team to draft him? Good luck with that! … you’ll need more than luck though with this loser!

50. tryagainplease says: Apr 29, 2011 3:37 PM

purdueman says: You can’t coach heart and you can’t coach character, and Mallett-head has neither!

did he bang your sister or something, loser?

kyedh3 says: – BTW, talent + mouth + T.O. so Mallet needs to learn to say what he means, mean what he says, and be judicious with his words.

usually when one has ‘+’ signs in an equation there is an ‘=’ sign as well. perhaps you should heed your own advice and be judicious with your statements.

51. purdueman says: Apr 29, 2011 3:52 PM

tryagainplease says:
    Apr 29, 2011 3:37 PM

did he bang your sister or something, loser?

*********************
    If you are a fan of this moron, YOU, pal, are the loser. After all, losers seek out other losers you know.

I am judicious about my comments. If Mallett-head is such a great prospect, riddle me this… “Why is it that 32 teams all passed on him in the first round and 2 of those teams reached considerably by taking Locker and Ponder ahead of him?”

And why is it that both Ponder and Kaeperneck are both projected to go ahead of Mallett-head?

Ya, that sounds like a “franchise QB” if ever I heard of one all right! (ROFLMAO!)