Falcons add another playmaker in Jacquizz Rodgers

Oregon State v UCLA Getty Images

The Falcons wanted to add speed on offense during the draft.  Despite a lack of picks, they have done just that.

After trading up for Julio Jones, Atlanta added Oregon State running back Jacquizz Rodgers on Saturday in the fifth round.  The jitterbug 5’6″ back was one of the most fun and explosive players to watch in college football last year.

Rodgers is a natural replacement for Jerious Norwood as a third-down option in Atlanta.  Jason Snelling is a free agent with an uncertain future as well.

The Falcons needed big play ability.  Even though he’s not an every down player, Rodgers adds more homerun ability to an offense that needs it.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Falcons add another playmaker in Jacquizz Rodgers”
  1. blmonroe12 says: Apr 30, 2011 3:02 PM

I know there are some Falcon fans that may not be too happy about what they gave up to get Jones, but they are making up for it with the rest of the draft. Falcons were already good and they’re getting better.

2. maverick0 says: Apr 30, 2011 3:03 PM

Uhhh…Norwood? I how he is injured quite a bit, but he is more explosive than this kid.

3. shiftyshellshocked says: Apr 30, 2011 3:06 PM

? where do these people come up with these names. Jacquizz?

4. bowtiefever says: Apr 30, 2011 3:06 PM

I was wondering who would pick him up. I think a speedy back like him who could also play in the slot would be a great compliment to a bruising back like Turner.

I think these guys are just going to try and out score everybody.

5. dkeyser says: Apr 30, 2011 3:16 PM

I’m not sure i follow their logic. 3 of their 5 statrters on the O-line are FA’s. and their defense got torched in the playoffs. One would think they would at least grab a few guys to help in those areas

6. paulitik74 says: Apr 30, 2011 3:31 PM

I Jacquizzed my pants when they called his name.

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

Now if we can find a LT, and a TE we are set on offense for years

7. touchdownroddywhite says: Apr 30, 2011 3:44 PM

Snelling and Norwood are both gone as far as I can tell. Snelling is good but his skill set isn’t different enough from Turners. Only way I see them trying to retain him is if he will work for cheap.

8. thefiesty1 says: Apr 30, 2011 4:17 PM

I saw him up close and personal in a high school playoff game and wasn’t all that impressed. He’s just another miniature RB like San Diego has now. Decent player but not great.

9. norcaleagles says: Apr 30, 2011 6:24 PM

TOUCHDOWNRODDYWHITE, If you’re a falcon fan, then you should know that there IS a difference between Turner and Norwood. If I remember correctly, I think Turner had either 0 or 1 catch last season. I remember it was something crazy like that. I didnt realize how one dimensional of a RB Turner was.

10. dontcallmepete says: Apr 30, 2011 7:13 PM

So all of a sudden Atlanta’s defense is judged on just one game? They’d beaten Green Bay weeks before the playoff game. Any team that wins thirteen games must have played some defense

11. dontcallmepete says: Apr 30, 2011 7:14 PM

—————————————–
    High school? You’re kidding…?

12. dkeyser says: Apr 30, 2011 7:36 PM

Yeah they played some, but not when it mattered most..

John Abraham had 13 sacks, but as history would show he puts up great numbers one year and struggles the next. Plus the next guy in line Kroy Biermann who had a grand total of 3..Thats a HUGE dropoff.

13. saints25 says: Apr 30, 2011 8:01 PM

falcons FO can say they didnt give to much,for an injury prone WR,who’s exactly like R.White?makes no sense to me, there nuts.

14. ezwriter69 says: Apr 30, 2011 8:38 PM

Kid will be a GREAT third down back, he’s tough as bleep, makes the first guy miss every time, and has excellent hand. I know Oregon State doesn’t get much attention, but this guy can play… trust me, you won’t miss Norwood, not that I have any idea why you would anyway…

15. hobartbaker says: Apr 30, 2011 10:12 PM

He can run 40 yards faster than you can say “Jacquizz”.