Jimmy Clausen not giving up his job or his number easily

Pittsburgh Steelers Eason and Ziggy Hood tackle Carolina Panthers quarterback Jimmy Clausen in the fourth quarter of their NFL football game in Pittsburgh Reuters

With the Panthers using the first overall pick on quarterback Cam Newton, most assume that 2010 second-rounder Jimmy Clausen will be benched at best, dumped at worst.  Clausen, however, isn’t ready to surrender the job.

“I talked to some coaches and Marty and they said they want me on this team and they’re going to give me the opportunity to compete,” Clausen told Joseph Person of the Raleigh News & Observer.  “That’s all I can ask for is a chance to compete.  It’s going to be fun working with Cam and just competing each and every day.”

While Newton may win the job, one thing Clausen won’t be surrendering as easily is the jersey number that Newton wore at Auburn.

“It’s mine right now,” said Clausen, who wears number 2.   “We’ll see what happens.”

Asked whether the rights to the jersey can be purchased, Clausen reportedly smiled and said, “We’ll see what happens.”

It would be funny if Newton offers him a laptop for it.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Jimmy Clausen not giving up his job or his number easily”
  1. Gordon says: May 1, 2011 10:28 AM

He should ask for $180K.

2. CKL says: May 1, 2011 10:33 AM

Meanwhile, the Panthers should be checking with contractors on plans to expand their lockerroom to accommodate two egos of that size.

3. prmpft says: May 1, 2011 10:34 AM

“Jimmy Clausen not giving up his job or his number easily”
    *********************************************
    …wanna bet???

4. duanethomas says: May 1, 2011 10:34 AM

Newton will have the # 2 and depends on the Panther approach will be the starting QB at some point. I hope they take the Carson Palmer approach, and have him sit a whole year. If they do that Claussen will have a year to prove he can play and enhance his value, ala Kevin Kolb. Good luck to them both, next year they draft Blackmon from Okie State.

5. jameswestphal says: May 1, 2011 10:39 AM

+10 for the laptop reference

6. dennis2488 says: May 1, 2011 10:45 AM

it would be even funnier if they both are terrible and end up re-signing delhomme in two years.

7. giboxer5 says: May 1, 2011 10:47 AM

According to reports Cam’s father has been in closed door negotiations with Clausen for weeks. While the calls were all made from Cam’s cell phone, he has no direct nor indirect knowledge of the situation..

8. mhs8031 says: May 1, 2011 10:48 AM

Maybe Clausen will be more assertive this year. While Cam is working on that entertainer/icon thing instead of learning the playbook, something that will take him twice as long as it should, I hope Jimmy plays very well. And I am a panther fan.

9. axlviking says: May 1, 2011 11:01 AM

Jimmy has earned it. When I think of Jimmy Clausen’s rookie performance, all I think of is #2.

10. kmynatt says: May 1, 2011 11:17 AM

As a Panther fan, I really don’t care which one of them gets it done as long as one of them does. That being said we just spent a #1 overall pick on Newton so in all likelyhood the best we can hope for is Clausen building up enough value to get something in trade for him later. The we’ll give you a chance to compete line is just the thing you say to keep the peace. From listening to Rivera Cam will start sooner than later.

11. chadmurdigan says: May 1, 2011 11:23 AM

Given the egos of both Newton and Clausen and their senses of entitlement, I’d like to see Matt Moore walk into camp and beat out both Newton and Clausen.

Neither of these guys understand the irony of having No. 2 on their back, do they?

I still think Moore could be a solid NFL quarterback IF he’d get his head screwed on tight and find the confidence he needs.

12. smellmyface says: May 1, 2011 11:24 AM

Cam will be the opening day starter. Im sure he will master that playbook in no time. They just have to run it like youth football with play 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Its odd that good teams dont care how fast a QB is they want someone smart that can make the reads. Manning, Brady, Rivers.

13. blackbeardk says: May 1, 2011 11:26 AM

Easy, Cam switches to #1, because he only looks out for #1, and it will also be the order the QB’s are on the depth chart…LOL

14. beedubyatoo says: May 1, 2011 11:30 AM

“…next year they draft Blackmon from Okie State.”

Why wait until next year. The way things are breaking at tOSU, they may be able to draft Tyrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft this year.

15. MichaelEdits says: May 1, 2011 11:32 AM

I’d like to see my Panthers wind up in one of those Andy Reid situations where he can trade potential starters, but I think we’re more likely to wind up with a Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn fiasco and stink it up badly enough to draft Andrew Luck next year. If there is a draft next year.

16. cassrangers says: May 1, 2011 11:32 AM

I’ll bet this… if it’s a fair competition, Cam won’t win… Good luck Cam, but the NFL for you is going to stand for Not For Long

17. ribruschi54 says: May 1, 2011 11:32 AM

Clausen is better!

18. whatswiththehate says: May 1, 2011 11:35 AM

mhs8031 says:
    May 1, 2011 10:48 AM
    ————————–
    Wow..I guess this is what it’s like living in a world where small-minded stereotyping reign supreme.

Good thing the Panthers don’t take their cue from sites like this and ESPN. They are smart enough to separate tomfoolery from reality.

19. thefiesty1 says: May 1, 2011 11:37 AM

Cam should just wear number 1. He thinks he is anyway.

20. gdeli says: May 1, 2011 11:43 AM

another new qb after one year? i hope the vikes don’t have to do that.

21. blkmanwtan says: May 1, 2011 11:52 AM

It is funny that if it was Andrew Luck, you guys would want Clausen out of town.

For one, Andrew Luck doesn’t want to be in Carolina. If Andrew Luck wanted to be in Carolina, he would have left for the NFL like Coach Harbaugh.

If Carolina have the worst record again, which I seriously doubt, and they try to draft Luck, the Luck will pull an Elway and a Eli Manning.

They picked up Newton because they will build an offense around Cam Newton. I know this pick isn’t popular, but like with the Eagles with McNabb, you guy will see how they are going to use Cam abilities to win games.

22. trickbunny says: May 1, 2011 12:03 PM

“It would be funny if Newton offers him a laptop for it.”

It would be even funnier if Newton offers him a lapdance for it.

23. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 1, 2011 12:09 PM

Vince Young Jr. will be out of the league in 4 years anyway

24. purdueman says: May 1, 2011 12:10 PM

There’s any easy solution as to Clausen not wanting to give up his #2 uniform to Newton; Carolina should simply give Jimmy a wedgie out the door as they break the news to him that he has been released!

25. CKL says: May 1, 2011 12:12 PM

chadmurdigan says: May 1, 2011 11:23 AM

_____________________________________
    I couldn’t agree more (or should I say “Moore”? lol)
    I’ve liked that kid since he was a JR @ OrSt.
    I feel for all the high character guys on the team like Moore (who may be gone) D Williams (ditto) Stewart, T Sutton, Kalil, Gross, Beason, etc who were drafted/signed there when besides talent, the team cared about small egos and big hearts instead of the other way around. Chris Harris (another example) should be glad he’s out of there too.
    Take it from a Pats fan, trying to do what your competition does(with the Pats, I mean going to that finesse offense garbage that it looks like they are relenting on…finally) instead of staying true to your ideals leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

26. freddyfelder says: May 1, 2011 12:12 PM

Warren moon wore #1 So should Cam!

27. duanethomas says: May 1, 2011 12:20 PM

@beedubyatoo and the people who gave the thumbs up to your comment.

Okie State is short for Oklahoma State.

Blackmon is Justin Blackmon generally considered the # 1 WR in the 2012 draft.

All you guys rode the short bus to school.

28. hoobsher says: May 1, 2011 12:29 PM

once cam sr. hears about this, clausen wont have that number for long

29. mattyc says: May 1, 2011 12:35 PM

I’d like to see them cut Moore & Mike Holmgren pick him up. He is the type of QB that Holmgren likes & can keep on the back burner for a while. Drew Stanton is another one. Holmgren needs to comb through the FA/PS ranks to find his QB project that keeps him busy & occupied.

30. hobartbaker says: May 1, 2011 1:01 PM

A year ago the NFL scouting department gave Jimmy Clausen a 8.6 grade, just behind Sam Bradford at 8.7.

The Human Growth Headed Newt received an 8.1 grade this year from the same folks. Behind Blaine Gabbert at 8.4.

So, yeah, there is every likelyhood that Jimmy would win a fair competition. But given the circumstances, there won’t be a fair competition and Sideshow Freak will be the program in Carolina.

31. xxbomberxx says: May 1, 2011 1:02 PM

Wow….. you guys REALLY hate Cam Newton on this board huh, keep typing.. you couldnt type him out of being the number 1 player taken, but maybe..just maybe you can type him out of the league… get a clue haters….

32. xxbomberxx says: May 1, 2011 1:08 PM

Clausen= 3 td’s / 9 ints/ 33 sacks/ 58.4 passer rating/ 1-9 record as a starter….

Yeah I bet Cam is shaking in his boots to have to compete against Clausen

33. thespeaker08 says: May 1, 2011 1:10 PM

I like how the article you took this information from was actually an article from the Charlotte Observer about a charity kickball tournament that Clausen and Newton both attended.

Way to have an agenda.

34. bucfandango says: May 1, 2011 1:21 PM

It doesn’t matter who plays QB for Carolina. Their number will be covered in mud and they will spend most of their time on their backs. Hovering over them will be the likes of Will Smith, John Abraham, DaQuan Bowers, and a host of other big NFC South Linemen. Cam can look over at his clueless coach, and say “I called play number 36, duh I think”. They should have kept John Fox and Newton will be the number 1 Bust of the 2011 draft. Steve Smith should run for the hills while he still has a chance. Hopefully they will use their number 1 pick more wisely in 2012, 2013, etc.

35. schmitty2 says: May 1, 2011 2:30 PM

Can we say “Career year” for Jonathan Stewart?

36. ubummer says: May 1, 2011 2:42 PM

Unless a rookie wage scale is implemented, there is no way a guy like Newton WON’T hold out.

37. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 1, 2011 2:45 PM

xxbomberxx says:

Yeah I bet Cam is shaking in his boots to have to compete against Clausen

**************************************

And you really think Cam can do better with that pathetic offense?

I can’t wait to see that.
    FYI, he is going to learn very quickly that give the ball to Cam and let him make a play ain’t gonna work in the big league

38. bigtrav425 says: May 1, 2011 2:55 PM

I hate Notre Dame and i was not a Claussen fan by any means but he did not get a fair chance and he knows that so i dont blame him being a lil difficult or having some self confidence.If he is lucky he might play good or beat out Cam and then get traded to Miami or somewhere

39. prmpft says: May 1, 2011 3:05 PM

Disclaimer: I do not make a living doing this…

…but I saw that clausen was (way) over-rated before he was drafted – and the end result was what it was…the fact is that the job is all speculation – just go to Vegas and see what the odds are of taking a stab @ ANYTHING!!! I REALLY did not think he could cut it – and if Cam has to learn behind him – he’ll learn only what NOT to do…which still will not help the Panthers – Start him – admit clownsen was a ridiculous MISTAKE and hope you made a better choice this time – I think they did. (see disclaimer)

40. polishkingski says: May 1, 2011 3:40 PM

@AXLVIKING….very funny my friend, very funny.

41. rushbacker says: May 1, 2011 3:45 PM

Fig Newton vs. Clausen for the starting job? God be with you, Panthers fans.

42. zoxitic says: May 1, 2011 4:34 PM

Carolina starting QB in 2012:

Andrew Luck

43. dawsonleery says: May 1, 2011 4:47 PM

At least Andrew Luck is #12 so Panthers won’t have this problem again next year.

44. emperor83 says: May 1, 2011 5:33 PM

Cam Newton will get the starting job, even if he throws 6 INTs… or the Panthers, the NFL and Jimmy Clausen are racist…

45. bamasucks says: May 1, 2011 6:25 PM

iamtalkingsolistenandlearn should change his name to iamamoronsoiwillstfunow

46. henryd3rd says: May 1, 2011 6:41 PM

I just can’t wait. The suspense over who will win the quarterback competition is killing me. Let’s see when does training camp begin? Strike? What work stoppage? Damn! This is messed up! They just had this big to do about the draft and now you’re telling me there may be a work stoppage. What? The courts will have the final say about the work stoppage

Thank God!

47. thephantomstranger says: May 2, 2011 5:14 PM

I think Clausen is in a real pickle.

48. drumbug7 says: May 19, 2011 9:15 PM

““I talked to some coaches and Marty and they said they want me on this team and they’re going to give me the opportunity to compete,” Clausen told Joseph Person of the Raleigh News & Observer. ”

I thought that, with the lockout, teams weren’t permitted to contact players…