With Gabbert, Del Rio’s job only gets harder

J. DelRio1 AP

You can look at the drafting of Blaine Gabbert and Jack Del Rio’s job security in a few ways.

Some think that grabbing a rookie quarterback will buy Del Rio more time.  We tend to think Del Rio has to keep the Jaguars over .500 to keep his job, and taking Gabbert makes that more difficult.

Del Rio seems to acknowledge that a top-10 rookie quarterback could make his life more challenging.

“I think Mr. [Wayne] Weaver pays me to make decisions that are in the best interests of this football team and not always [what’s] best for me as a person and individually as a coach,” Del Rio said via Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union.

We admire Del Rio’s honesty.  The reality is that he will face a lot of pressure to play Gabbert the moment David Garrard misfires on a few passes. But it’s hard to imagine Gabbert giving the team a better chance to win in 2011, and Del Rio needs to win.

“We’re going to sacrifice where we need to,” Del Rio said about setting an example of unselfishness.  “This is the right thing to do. I’m not looking for the easiest way or the safest way. I’m looking to help this football team contend for a world championship.”

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
26 Responses to “With Gabbert, Del Rio’s job only gets harder”
  1. hobartbaker says: May 2, 2011 11:02 AM

“Also no one in the organization gives a crap whether I approve of drafting Gabbert or not. They just gave him my parking spot next to the entrance door at the facility.”.

2. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 2, 2011 11:09 AM

Come on man, nobody cares about the Jaguars. I mean, maybe 40 people in Jacksonville, but thats about it.

3. 52sackmachine says: May 2, 2011 11:11 AM

Gabbert is going to be very good for this franchise. I can see him being better than every other qb drafted. That is no disrespect to the other franchises. That is my opinion on what I think of Gabbert, as a NFL qb. I think by sitting him a year or 2 behind Garrard will help him, the same way it helped my team’s franchise qb, Aaron Rodgers.

4. ivedoneyourwife says: May 2, 2011 11:13 AM

Tell him Del Rio. Look at what you did with that young group last year. No one expected to be in contention to win the division! Go Jags!!!

5. armchairgm9 says: May 2, 2011 11:27 AM

This is a tough spot. Garrard is a streaky QB. He’ll go 3 weeks and throw 2 TDs and 6 picks, and then he’ll go 3 weeks and throw 8 touchdowns and 1 pick. It’ll be very hard to know when it’s really time to make the switch.

6. smwsaw1024 says: May 2, 2011 11:37 AM

No one will be shocked if this is Del Rio’s last year. OC Dirk Koetter’s offense has done pretty well considering a so so quarterback in Garrard and no big play wide-receivers. Also last year the Jags did not authorize to interview in St. Louis and Koetter’s old college coach is now the quarterback’s coach on the team. It would seem that the organization is getting behind Koetter. I would not be shocked if Del Rio is fired at some point and the organization slides Koetter in as the next coach.

7. Oberron says: May 2, 2011 11:41 AM

Nothing like a good Jags post to bring out the trolls.

8. rad312 says: May 2, 2011 11:46 AM

Del Rio is lucky to still be employed as coach of Jacksonville…….he should man up and coach as his livelihood depends on it! If he wins he will be coach in 2012 and if loses well…..he will likely be coaching elsewhere however definitely not as a head coach.

9. nationalmediacansuckit says: May 2, 2011 11:57 AM

iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says:
    May 2, 2011 11:09 AM
    ————————————————–

That’s classic. By 40 people you mean the Jags have only 40 fans. I’ve never heard that before. That’s simply genius. You my friend are hilarious. Keep up the good work.

10. onwisconsin42 says: May 2, 2011 12:23 PM

I can’t wait until all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled in Jacksonville (seriously, it’s coming) and Gene Smith has retooled this roster into a consistent playoff contender.

You’ll all be forced to be not funny about something else.

11. whatswiththehate says: May 2, 2011 12:38 PM

52sackmachine says:
    May 2, 2011 11:11 AM
    —————————–
    First off Aaron was impressive in college. Blaine was just good.

Second, Aaron got better in his final season at Cal. Blaine regressed his junior year.

Third, it’s clear to see Aaron is a confident QB. He’s aggressive and is not afraid to take chances. I don’t get that vibe about Blaine. I get the feel is driven by an ego that tells him he is great and when he is simply good. And he for all his intelligence, he doesn’t seem to be as quick of a thinker on his feet as Aaron. There is only one QB who I see possess a lot of Aaron’s intangibles and it isn’t Blaine.

Good can only be great if you accept it and work within that realm to make things happen so it can be looked at as great. If you see yourself more than you are, you’re setting yourself up to fail.

And I honestly can’t see Blaine sitting behind anyone for two years. IMO, he just seems to have a very high sense of himself. A side those in the elite realm of the sports media went out of their way to hide. Coupled that with the sports media pumping him up while putting pressure on the coach to use him as soon as Garrard shows a little weakness and you might just get college year Blaine; good but not great.

Also, comparing him to someone who is completely different in nature, Aaron Rodgers, and talent to Blaine, makes even less sense.

12. kcfanatic says: May 2, 2011 1:08 PM

Everyone is making huge mistakes. Us in MU land were happy when Gabbert went into the draft. He has the build of a pro QB, but look at his numbers and watch some game film. You will not be impressed.

13. jcjaguar says: May 2, 2011 1:16 PM

iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says:
    May 2, 2011 11:09 AM

With a name like that, you must be one of those fatheads with a very high opinion of yourself who thinks anybody cares what you say…Crawl back in you hole until you have something worth adding to the conversation.

14. zoxitic says: May 2, 2011 1:30 PM

Gabbert was MU. He had nobody around him and carried that team. Unless you’re a fan of MU you couldnt name 1 offensive star on that team besides Gabbert. Gabbert will be successful in the NFL.

15. ivedoneyourwife says: May 2, 2011 1:53 PM

iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says:
    May 2, 2011 11:09 AM

Quit picking the cheese out of your toenails and putting it in your bellybutton. Then, get out of your moms basement, and takeout the trash!
    And finally. No Chris Hanson of Dateline NBC doesn’t have it out for you…What you were doing IS illegal!!!

16. egetto says: May 2, 2011 2:50 PM

hobartbaker- who is your team? I’m guessing you are 5’9 or shorter

whatswiththehate – did you do that really meaningful QB skill/personality assessment as you were cutting Rodgers and Gabbert’s hair? Love the first name references and insight into Gabberts “high sense of himself” not allowing him to sit behind a veteran QB. Hahahaha.

17. itsthemelman82 says: May 2, 2011 3:02 PM

Iamtalkingsolistenandlearn is Totally wrong… There’s atleast 45 of you Jags fans… Seriously, when was the last time they weren’t blacked out? And I’m not slamming small markets because KC, Buffalo, etc. Have great fans But, Jacksonville should just hand that franchise over to LA and save yourself the trouble!

18. zoxitic says: May 2, 2011 3:09 PM

itsthemelman82 says:
    May 2, 2011 3:02 PM

Seriously, when was the last time they weren’t blacked out?
    __________________________

I love it when people are not ashamed to show their ignorance.

19. jcjaguar says: May 2, 2011 3:14 PM

itsthemelman82 ….Who is your team? Do you have season tickets?

When and if LA does get a team and the games are 100% sold out (maybe) and they still only have 50% to 75% of the stands filled, you will see why the teams that called LA home left.

20. sterilizecromartie says: May 2, 2011 3:31 PM

I brought up the same concern in a post about the Jags a few days ago, and Jags fans predictably jumped all over me for it. It was a very wierd pick considering the state of this franchise. Just look at the last few teams that spent high picks on QBs…

Panthers: New coach. No QB. Rebuilding franchise.
    Rams: New coach. No QB. Rebuilding franchise.
    Lions: New coach. No QB. Rebuilding franchise.
    Tampa Bay: New coach. No QB. Rebuilding franchise.
    Atlanta: New coach. No QB. Rebuilding franchise.

And here you have the Jaguars, who actually have a pretty good QB already on their roster paired with a long-time coach who is somewhat on thin ice. This just isn’t the type of team who should be spending that type of a pick on a QB. Ride it out with the Del Rio-Garrard era and see what happens. Then if it doesn’t work, blow the team up and start from scratch.

All they have done now is stuck themselves in a wierd in-between mode where nobody knows if they are going for it or rebuilding.

Also, please stop with the GB Packers/Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers comparisons people. Garrard is not Favre. Gabbert is not Rodgers. And the Jags are not the Packers.

21. itsthemelman82 says: May 2, 2011 3:41 PM

Jc, thanks for asking, I’m a Bears fan and I live in NYC. Anytime I’ve gone to a Jets(yuck) or Giants game attendance is never an issue! If fans support their team it doesn’t matter if it’s a big market or small market.. Nothing against the city of Jacksonville but, it sucks to watch a game and there’s like three people in the stands.

22. granadafan says: May 2, 2011 3:59 PM

“52sackmachine says:
    May 2, 2011 11:11 AM
    I think by sitting him a year or 2 behind Garrard will help him, the same way it helped my team’s franchise qb, Aaron Rodgers.”
    ————————————————————————-

I get what you’re saying about sitting a QB for the first year or so to get them adjusted to the NFL, which makes a lot of sense. Call it a Redshirt year. However, I see Gerard as a much better teammate than the one Rodgers was saddled with. Lord Farve wouldn’t even say so much as “Hello” to Rodgers and actively went out of his way to not mentor or give any sort of guidance to Rodgers.

23. jcjaguar says: May 2, 2011 4:08 PM

Last year was better…no blackouts. What you are probably seeing is the “Club” section between the 20 yard lines on both sides of the field…Those ticket holders are notorious for not being in their seats for half the game. They are usually inside watching the game on the monitors behind the bar. I think the are more social fans than anything, although when it is 97 degrees with 90% humidity for September and October 1PM games, I sometimes envy them. I wish they had structured the stadium seating differently and made the club sections in the endzones and made the good seats available at a reasonable price to people who will stay in there seats and screams their heads off! But that is they way of the NFL now…where the game is getting out of reach for the common man. The economy has not been kind here for the last 3 or 4 years.

Fans of teams in large cities should consider themselves fortunate…they have a LARGE population of people to draw potential ticket buyers from so it is easier for the local non-ticket buyer to keep his money and watch it on TV. And these cities also have history on there side…decades to develop hard-core followers that love their team and will sacrifice a large portion of their income to buy tickets. Jacksonville will get there, but it will take more time.

24. itsthemelman82 says: May 2, 2011 5:20 PM

That’s a very valid and well stated argument. Hopefully they will develop that huge fan base because it can happen.. Green Bay (yuck again), KC and Buffalo are great examples.

25. nationalmediacansuckit says: May 2, 2011 5:24 PM

itsthemelman82 says:
    May 2, 2011 3:02 PM
    ————————————————–You my friend are the 10% of the typical ignorant, clueless, dumb, no facts, oblivious, misinformed fan than reads and comment on this website. Do yourself a favor. Use the internet for what it was intended for, research and reference and you can answer your own idiotic question you asked above. Maybe you’ll have better luck next time you comment. Have a spectacular day sunshine.

26. jcjaguar says: May 2, 2011 5:30 PM

….and sometimes we have a chip on our shoulder about!