Frazier discusses what he’s looking for in a veteran quarterback

Draft Vikings Football AP

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier has a tricky task when looking for a quarterback to add to the mix later this offseason.

On one hand, he wants a player that isn’t totally at the end of the line.

“If we went that route, we’d probably want a guy that could compete to start,” Frazier said on PFT Live Tuesday.  “I don’t know if I’d want a ‘coach-type’ guy.”

Fair enough.  But would a quarterback like Donovan McNabb be the right fit for a Vikings team that will want to see what they have in Christian Ponder before too long?  Will McNabb help mentor Ponder?  Frazier knows finding something that will be ready to step aside when the time is right is important.

“Every guy doesn’t want to come in and mentor a young quarterback.  Most want to come in and be the face of the franchise.  We’re hoping that one of the young guys will be our leader for years to come,” Frazier said.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Frazier discusses what he’s looking for in a veteran quarterback”
  1. parasonic says: May 3, 2011 4:16 PM

I think McNabb enjoys mentoring young QBs. Look what he’s done for Kolb and Vick. I’m not even considering Vick’s off the field crap so don’t go there. And even through all the times he’s been thrown under the bus by Philly he’s come out with a smile on his face and said the right things. I really respect him for what he’s done with or without a SB ring, but I still want him out of Washington if we aren’t gonna play him. Hopefully he can help another franchise while we can get compensated in some way for the debacle of acquiring him last year.

2. canadianvikingfaniii says: May 3, 2011 4:22 PM

Fraizer got the bad end of the stick when he took over. Having to go out and find one in the draft, and now having to find a veteran QB who will be willing to take the back seat for Christian Ponder. I like coach Fraizer and I hope he can find a way through this to be successful, both for his and the franchise’s sake.

3. robbnar says: May 3, 2011 4:29 PM

I wouldn’t mind seeing Matt Hasselbeck come in for a couple years. He’s close to retirement and knows he’s not the future, he’ll be playing indoors for at least 9 games this season, he’s a West Coast QB. He’ll probably be too expensive, but I think he’d fit the mold Frazier’s talking about…

4. brutus9448 says: May 3, 2011 4:31 PM

6-10 next year if they’re lucky

5. ilpackerbacker says: May 3, 2011 4:45 PM

LOL, oh man. In so many more ways than one …

THANKS TED.

6. spawnsacs says: May 3, 2011 4:53 PM

What’s Brett Favre up to these days? Maybe he could come in and help, he could mentor the young guys, puts butts in the seats so they could build a new stadium, and he is tailor made for this offense…I mean….he could teach it.

Call Jared and Longy, get them on a plane down to Hattiesburg to see what the ol’ gunslinger is up to. While your at it Vikings fans, put up a billboard down in Mississippi to beg him to come back one more year.

What……already been tried….and failed miserably?

7. schmitty2 says: May 3, 2011 4:57 PM

Frazier wont ponder Ponder for too long. He will be starting by week 4

8. dorn09 says: May 3, 2011 5:05 PM

Kyle Orton is your man and way cheaper than McNabb, Palmer or Kolb.

9. theytukrjobs says: May 3, 2011 5:13 PM

Bulger, Thigpen, and Orton kind of come to mind as guys you can bring in and not feel bad about benching.

Palmer, McNabb, and Hassleback would all be capable of winning more games, but none of them would be thrilled about stepping aside given their solid careers thus far.

Hard to say. I think that so many teams are going with younger QB’s right now that in the end we may be able to get a decent veteran without paying that much. Above I’ve listed 6 guys with experience that probably will be available and I don’t know that there are 6 teams that have any need for these guys.

My pick would be Thigpen (assuming Bulger is really slowing down as they say). With Thigpen you have a guy who is still young enough to be a sleeper but not young enough for any team to want him as anything more than a backup. Plus he’s a guy with similar physical attributes to Ponder and a guy that Ponder can probably beat out of the job.

10. spawnsacs says: May 3, 2011 5:29 PM

Is Culpepper still out there?

Frazier will ponder Ponder for one year, and then draft Andrew Luck with the first pick next year.

11. rcunningham says: May 3, 2011 5:34 PM

spawnsacs says: May 3, 2011 4:53 PM

What……already been tried….and failed miserably?

Why are people’s memories so terrible? Favre had his best statistical season ever in 09, Vikes went 12-4, and the interest in the team was unlike any I’ve ever seen.

Yes, he threw the pick in the NFCG, not denying that, and his 10 campaign was a disaster, but why does EVERYONE seem to ignore that he threw for 33 TDs and only 7 INTs in 09?

No one can honestly sit there and tell me that T-Jack or Sage Rosenfels could have gotten us to the NFCG.

12. pkrlvr says: May 3, 2011 5:41 PM

rcunningham, good point. I posted about the same thing in response to douchesacs post but it didn’t make it up. If failed miserably = 33 td’s vs 7 ints and a trip to the championship game, plus beating the pack twice, then I’d like to fail miserably right now please.

13. mooseknuckle says: May 3, 2011 5:53 PM

Hey spawnsacs,
    Get off welfare, get your teeth fixed and stop humping your sister. Do this and there maybe hope for you.

14. gbfanforever says: May 3, 2011 5:56 PM

Brett Favre

15. goombar2 says: May 3, 2011 6:21 PM

Well if it’s such a great point about Favre, then why no billboard? Hmmmm…

16. ejmat2 says: May 3, 2011 6:49 PM

Hey Packer fans, why not just spot in your own threads? It’s funny that you guys pay so much attention to a team that you all say is meaningless or irrelevant.

Listen, I think it’s unbelievable what the Pack did last year. Congrats for that and it’s well deserved. But for Christmas sakes, quit talking smack. It was just a short few years ago you guys were in last place as well. It happens. I can tell you this. GBs been in last place a hell of a lot more than the ikings have since their existance. Yeah, you have championships and we don’t. We get that. But I guess with that logic, once the Vikings do win one you have nothing else to talk smack about. Nothing! The fact is the VIkings have been more competitive on a consistent basis than the Packers over the years. They’ve made the playoffs the same amount of times and been in the league many, many years less.

Rant off, I guess. Enjoy your chamionship. It’s well deserved. But maybe you can find other things to do with your lives than worry about a team that’s supposedly “irrelevant”.

17. friendlylittletrees says: May 3, 2011 6:52 PM

You can have Jake Delhomme… Hell, I will pay you $20 to take him.

18. dan3rd says: May 3, 2011 7:08 PM

Hey ballsac, I mean, I’m sorry, spawnsac, the bring back Brett jokes are old. Come up with something a little better and I don’t mean “Is Culpepper still out there…” If you’re gonna talk smack, at least make it worth our time to read it.

19. kibawib says: May 3, 2011 7:23 PM

You knew as soon as this story was posted there would be a packer troll whining about Favre. Glad to see packer fans didn’t disappoint. While we’re on the topic, the Vikings won the division and playe in the NFC Championship game with that old has-been. Seems there was a bit of tread left on that tire after all. As forthe Vikes’ qb situation, even a packer fan could see the team was going nowhere in terms if qb development with Chilly at the helm. I’ll give Ponder a fair shake and we’ll see what happens. But in hindsight, the m e to sign Favre was aggressive and withou doubt the right move, given the talent and age of the core players on the team.

20. eagles512 says: May 3, 2011 7:45 PM

Unlike Favre, McNabb would definitely mentor a young QB. Vick said he’s the one who taught him what it took to be a starting QB in terms of study, prep, and gym work.

21. zn0rseman says: May 3, 2011 8:10 PM

————————-
    I think you are forgetting all of the conficts that he’s had up to this point. The only backup QB he’s ever really gotten along with was Vick, and if you consider who McNabb is and the comments he has made over the years, it’s not hard to deduce that his kindness toward Vick and animosity toward other QB’s has to do with skin color.

Also, McNabb has never really been all that good. He road on the coat-tails of a couple of great Philly teams into the playoffs, but that’s about it. He has also been consistently outplayed by most of his backups. I’d rather they bring Sage back.

22. buffordtjustice says: May 3, 2011 8:32 PM

Jon Kitna

23. nflfan877 says: May 3, 2011 8:57 PM

I would think Hasselbeck or McNabb would have to be at the top of their dream list. Each should have two or three years left, but I doubt either would come cheaply… I still think Seattle finds a way to keep Hasselbeck though.

24. pervyharvin says: May 3, 2011 9:01 PM

You know, people(especially Packer knobs) talk about how Favre screwed us last year. Got news for you know nothings. Favre,as rcunningham said, lit up the stats in 2009. I believe he was great last year too. The only problem was we let him get killed by our oline due to injuries and some bad play. Recievers hurt.I don’t blame Favre one bit for our crap last year. Hell, if he had a great line i think he still could be a top 5 QB.

25. eagles512 says: May 3, 2011 11:05 PM

McNabb has always gotten along with his backups. And to say he was outplayed by his backups is flat out wrong. You obviously hate the guy but that’s no excuse to make things up and call him a racist.

26. thephantomstranger says: May 4, 2011 12:49 PM

Pervy, you must be punchdrunk if you think Favre had nothing to do with his own failures last year. At that age, when things fall apart they fall apart fast. There was also a little matter of some cell phone pictures that might have caused a bit of a distraction.