Lombardi play closes on May 22

Dan Lauria AP

The NFL made an unprecedented move to Broadway last year, with a play based on the life of Hall of Fame Packers coach Vince Lombardi.

The producers of the show announced today that Lombardi will close on May 22.

The play opened on October 22, with 30 previews and 244 regular performances.

Judith Light, best known for her role in the ’80s-era sitcom Who’s the Boss?, received a Tony nomination for her work as Lombardi’s wife, Marie.

Lombardi was portrayed by Dan Lauria, also best known for his role in the ’80s-era sitcom The Wonder Years.  He made an appearance at the 2011 draft in costume.

No specific reason was given for the closing of the show, but the economy has taken a toll generally on Broadway over the past few years, with not many new shows surviving for very long.

So if you were planning to see the play that Tom Brady saw instead of watching the Jets beat the Colts in the playoffs, you’ve got less than three weeks to make it happen.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Lombardi play closes on May 22”
  1. footballgiants says: May 3, 2011 10:25 PM

Any word on when “Fontes” starring George Lopez plans on opening?

2. backuppunter says: May 3, 2011 10:27 PM

I used to love the wonder years, I think I’ll download some episodes!

3. ranx777 says: May 3, 2011 10:27 PM

The only reason I’d see the play is because Brady saw it, so it must be a phenomenal play…

4. iceman1414 says: May 3, 2011 10:33 PM

When does The Mouth that Roared starring Rex Ryan premiere. I wish they would have not only stapled his stomach but got the extra extra large staples for his pie hole.

5. berniemadoffsides says: May 3, 2011 10:40 PM

I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did…. lol

6. thephantomstranger says: May 3, 2011 10:45 PM

I’ve just been informed by Carl Gerbschmidt that the play is closing so they can begin work on “McCarthy.” Jimmy Smith tells me they’re also filming a Ted Thompson movie called “A Beautiful Mind II.”

7. ttommytom says: May 3, 2011 10:51 PM

Judith Light was more famous for the zit commercials.

In the immortal words of Rodney Dangerfield “you must have something before electricity”

8. phinfan says: May 3, 2011 10:53 PM

You know allot of idiot Jet fans seem to think their name came to be from a cool silvery plane that streaked the skylines and revolutionized war. But it didn’t. The Jets name came from the gay broadway musically about a bunch of greasy dudes wearing tights and dancing together in dark alleys.

9. moneymike23 says: May 3, 2011 11:13 PM

Damn, really wanted to see it but broadway tickets prices are ridiculous.

10. ntr0py says: May 3, 2011 11:45 PM

Lombardi had a VERY long run for a broadway play (non-musical).

No reason needs to be given for ending its run.

11. joelvis72 says: May 3, 2011 11:55 PM

And when Lombardi saw the greasy dudes dancing together he cried, “What da hell’s goin on out here?”

12. prosb4hos says: May 3, 2011 11:59 PM

I really thought Chris Berman made a great Vince Lombardi. http://twitpic.com/4rlp7p

13. hedleykow says: May 4, 2011 2:13 AM

Brady was really wanting to see a Broadway play based on the life of Rex Ryan, but decided Lombardi would have to do.

14. rcunningham says: May 4, 2011 2:42 AM

I’m interested in the future “How To Ruin A Franchise in Two Years: The Brad Childress Story” production.

15. childressrulz says: May 4, 2011 4:08 AM

I heard they were going to do a play for the vikings but they didn’t think a play about a main character that loses constantly would sell.

16. halasfan says: May 4, 2011 8:13 AM

I can’t wait until the movie come out. Probably be a straight to dvd one, but i will watch it…. Come on $5 Walmart bin movie…

17. kevinfromphilly says: May 4, 2011 8:19 AM

I heard they’re doing a play about the lockout called “Dumb and Dumber”.

18. henrypuppyhead says: May 4, 2011 10:24 AM

footballgiants says: May 3, 2011 10:25 PM

Any word on when “Fontes” starring George Lopez plans on opening?

——————–

I heard it was pretty mediocre.

19. henrypuppyhead says: May 4, 2011 10:26 AM

Now “Millen Comes Alive” is being made in a straight to TV movie, produced by the SyFy channel and it’s incredible production values. I believe Randal “Tex” Cobb will be in the starting role.

20. prreuben4 says: May 5, 2011 2:31 AM

My wife and I greatly enjoyed the show, although she now maintains that Marie Lombardi deserves a significant share of the coach’s legacy of greatness. The Circle on the Square is a perfect venue for the production, and I would encourage anyone who has not gotten to see the play to do so. It was truly remarkable that the play was running during the Packers’ Super Bowl run.