Packers move forward with Super Bowl rings, despite lockout

SB1PackersRing

In March, Bill Pennington of the New York Times reported that the Packers had not yet ordered Super Bowl rings, because they were not able to consult with the players regarding the design of the rings.  Apparently, the Packers have decided to move forward without player input — or they devoted some of the temporary window when the lockout was lifted last week to huddle with players regarding the rings.

The Packers have announced that Jostens has been hired to produce the ring, which sort of implies that the Packers have authorized Jostens to proceed.

Which sort of implies that the Packers have settled on a design.

Regardless, the rings eventually will be manufactured and distributed.  At this point, our far bigger concern is that there will be another Super Bowl in February 2012 after which a new set of rings will be ordered.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
37 Responses to “Packers move forward with Super Bowl rings, despite lockout”
  1. gregjennings85 says: May 3, 2011 4:37 PM

Save the rings, we want another Lombardi.

2. dolphindad says: May 3, 2011 4:43 PM

In other news the Jets have ordered Jostens to begin making the Super Bowl 46 championship rings for them. they will use the refund they got for the Super Bowls 44 and 45 rings as a down payment.

3. medtxpack says: May 3, 2011 4:48 PM

so thats why ever year the rings get more outlandish and stupid looking….”player input”

4. possiblecabbage says: May 3, 2011 4:50 PM

Apparently the Packers felt they got enough input before the lockout, Green Bay President Mark Murphy was quoted as saying “We did get input from the players. Before the lockout commenced we did get comments from our captains” in an article posted on the Green Bay Packers website.

Hopefully nobody takes to twitter to complain that they were left out of the ring designing process because they were rehabbing on their own.

5. thingamajig says: May 3, 2011 5:16 PM

6. thephantomstranger says: May 3, 2011 5:22 PM

How depressing that a Minnesota company is making the Packers’ rings. Maybe they can engrave something nasty on the inside in really tiny letters.

7. ttommytom says: May 3, 2011 5:30 PM

Jostens? The mass ring production company?

With all due respect I would venture to guess that all the owners want a ring too. Go for it.

8. mvp43 says: May 3, 2011 5:31 PM

The rings are the result of the 2010 season. It seems foolish that there wasn’t an exception made to allow staff/player contact for this purpose.

9. mvp43 says: May 3, 2011 5:33 PM

thingamajig says:
    May 3, 2011 5:16 PM

———————————————-

Umm……….that’s 1967 bling.

10. possiblecabbage says: May 3, 2011 5:39 PM

“thingamajig says: May 3, 2011 5:16 PM

Sorry Packers but the ring appears to look kinda cheap to me compared to previous ones I’ve seen.”

I would think that the fact that the inscription reads “Green Bay: 35, Kansas City:10″ on one side and “Green Bay: 21, Dallas: 17″ on the other would be a tip-off to the fact that the image was not the design for this year. Since Dallas wasn’t in the playoffs and Kansas City wasn’t in the super bowl.

11. AlanSaysYo says: May 3, 2011 5:45 PM

You can hire someone to make something without giving them the go-ahead to actually start producing it.

That logic is terrible even for you.

12. clawledge says: May 3, 2011 6:22 PM

Who needs a ring when you already have a belt?

13. tramonisland says: May 3, 2011 6:25 PM

“At this point, our far bigger concern is that there will be another Super Bowl in February 2012 after which a new set of rings will be ordered.”

….For the same team after they win SB XLVI.

14. jarrman46 says: May 3, 2011 6:38 PM

I hope the Packers are getting a repeat customer discount because their going to be doing alot of business with the ring company in the next 5 years.

15. pdxpanther says: May 3, 2011 6:59 PM

Really? Charles Woodson waits his whole career, and is likely to be in the group for the design, and the Packers have the same company who do those hideous High School graduation rings?

16. tjgoodfella says: May 3, 2011 7:06 PM

I actually had one of these rings on my finger. I remember back in 1997 I met Ray Nitschke at a business function. Long story short, he let me try on BOTH Super Bowl I and II SB rings! That dude had some bratwursts for fingers. Then he leaves me and is talking to other people at the “get together” and leaves me with the rings. Almost made a run for it!
    Classy guy. All bluster but a heart of gold.
    BTW, the Packers will win the next Super Bowl, so maybe they should put in a double order and get a discount.

17. purpleguy says: May 3, 2011 7:10 PM

Figures a company that originated in Minnesota would be producing the rings. As if this off-season hasn’t sucked enough for Viking fans already.

18. rcunningham says: May 3, 2011 7:30 PM

Little late on this, but congrats Packers on a well deserved win. Hopefully we’ll get there someday.

-Vikings fan

19. crowdedtrophycase says: May 3, 2011 7:36 PM

Josten’s has made rings for many SB champs over the years and has an excellent reputation for quality. Balfour and Herff-Jones are two other companies that were comissioned, but Josten’s was the most chosen, at least up until the 90’s.

It’s a good thing Josten’s doesn’t depend on the Vikings for any business…and probably shouldn’t anytime in the near future.

20. NoHomeTeam says: May 3, 2011 7:51 PM

medtxpack says: “so thats why ever year the rings get more outlandish and stupid looking….’player input’”

Brilliant. I’m tempted to dump my browser history just so I can give you another “Thumb Up.”

*********************************************

thingamajig says: “Sorry Packers but the ring appears to look kinda cheap to me compared to previous ones I’ve seen. ”
    ———————————————-
    mvp43 says: “Umm……….that’s 1967 bling.”

. . . and what a work of art it is compared to the ½-pound, diamond-chip encrusted male-enhancement accessories that pass for championship “rings” today.

21. packers291 says: May 3, 2011 7:54 PM

tjgoodfella says:
    May 3, 2011 7:06 PM
    Classy guy. All bluster but a heart of gold.
    ——————–

Yes—the Pack will get their order in right after the Jets order for SB XVI rings is processed. I hear Rex already has hotel (and dinner) reservations in Indy for next February.

22. hobartbaker says: May 3, 2011 8:23 PM

Definite upgrade on those garish flashing neon signs the Steelers come up with.

23. jjrs89 says: May 3, 2011 8:49 PM

Jostens made my class ring. It was only like $169!!!!

24. mountaindont says: May 3, 2011 9:09 PM

Why do you think the rings look more gawdy every year? Is it because of player input ? Probably so. My theory is that so many of these guys grew up with single never married mothers. They were influenced by the jewelery their mothers wore. Having no father in the house the mothers sense of style influenced them. Just a theory but I think it`s true. If you disagree tell me your reasoning.

25. pervyharvin says: May 3, 2011 9:47 PM

With all the sissy hair being worn by Packer players i thought they would go with SB ear rings instead.

26. Chooch51Ruiz says: May 3, 2011 10:38 PM

ha pervy enjoy the bottom of the division for years to come haha

27. garyman1 says: May 3, 2011 11:00 PM

The rings are totally appropriate…. they’re for work already completed.

28. clonecoach says: May 3, 2011 11:44 PM

My brother is a design artist who has been working on this ring for a couple of months.

29. childressrulz says: May 4, 2011 1:08 AM

If there is no football next year the packers will be world champs for two years. Put two year champs on the rings right now.

30. MichaelEdits says: May 4, 2011 6:18 AM

There can’t be a Super Bowl after February 2012 because that’s when the world blows up. Maybe that’s what the Mayans were really predicting, an end to the NFL and the Super Bowls because the lockout will never end. That might help the UFL with its draft boards.

31. 1stngoal says: May 4, 2011 10:16 AM

According to the Green Bay Press Gazette, shareholders and season ticket holders will receive rings as well. I hope they hold the ring ceremony before the start of the Vikings/Packers game just for Pervy’s benefit:-D

32. contra74 says: May 4, 2011 12:43 PM

1stngoal says:
    May 4, 2011 10:16 AM
    ——————-
    Beer battered onion rings in fact.

33. thephantomstranger says: May 4, 2011 12:43 PM

1stngoal says:
    May 4, 2011 10:16 AM
    ____________

Please tell me you don’t believe that. Plastic replicas are not the same as Super Bowl rings.

34. packerbacker12 says: May 4, 2011 3:19 PM

@thephantomstranger

The Super Bowl winning team can give rings to whom ever they want. There’s no limit to how many they give out either as long as they pay for the extra.

35. packerbacker12 says: May 4, 2011 3:22 PM

It’s ridiculous how this lame lockout is preventing the Packers from celebrating their Super Bowl win. They should be able order their rings and go to the White House without any trouble since their win technically came last season.

36. stavreafavre says: May 4, 2011 3:51 PM

Have to admit that was pretty funny contra. But then I seem to be in a pretty good mood most of the time the last few months.

37. vikescry1 says: May 4, 2011 7:19 PM

@perveyharvin umm how many superbowl rings do you have? it’s ok to be jealous we don’t mind… maybe you should try to show a little class like (rcunningham), but i gues everyteam has there idiot fans.