Ray Edwards boxing debut will feature a significant height advantage

Bears Vikings Football AP

On May 20, Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards will step into the ring and make his boxing debut.

His opponent, former kick boxer T.J. Gibson, also will be making his debut as a traditional boxer.  And Gibson will be at a significant disadvantage.

At five feet and nine inches, Gibson stands a full eight inches shorter than the six-five Edwards.

No man intimidates me,” Gibson tells Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.  “I’ll be ready.  Let’s hope he’s ready. I f he knocks me out, he must be good because I’ve never been knocked out in kick boxing.  If I knock him out, I hope you guys have your cameras ready.”

Edwards is due to become an unrestricted free agent when the lockout ends.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Ray Edwards boxing debut will feature a significant height advantage”
  1. canjura says: May 3, 2011 6:19 PM

too bad we won’t be able to see Randy Couture part 2. :(

2. jonathanedwardk says: May 3, 2011 6:23 PM

Height is a disadvantage in boxing, the shorter boxer can throw hooks and uppercuts more easily. Reach is an advantage.

3. sgmjerry220 says: May 3, 2011 6:23 PM

Hope he gets after his boxing opp better than he does QBs…Mr. “my goal is to set the single saeason sack record”…I’m just sayin

4. touchdownroddywhite says: May 3, 2011 6:32 PM

That’s a pretty significant advantage. Same kind of advantage that allowed Lennox Lewis to dominate the clearly superior Tyson, from a distance.

In fact, the only round in the Tyson v Lewis fight that Tyson won was the round Lewis tried to be cute and go toe to toe, so the hdight is only an advantage if Edwards is smart enough to take advantage of it.

5. buckybadger says: May 3, 2011 6:40 PM

@jonathanedwardk, height is also an advantage. Gives you leverage and distance from your opponent. Taller guys make shorter guys reach too.

6. buckybadger says: May 3, 2011 6:43 PM

touchdownroddywhite says:
    May 3, 2011 6:32 PM

———————————-

Tyson was NOT superior to Lewis when they fought or even in their respective primes. Take it from a guy who has boxed and watches the sport religiously. Tyson was a hyped creation of the media. Had the tools to be great but those tools where never properly developed as a fighter. They saw a guy that had amazing power but didn’t give him an amateur career or the right opponents early to become a full well rounded boxer. Once a fighter wasn’t scared of Tyson and he didn’t get them knocked out in the first couple of rounds he was in big trouble. Lewis won the fight because he knew how to box.

7. buckybadger says: May 3, 2011 6:45 PM

A 5’9″ heavyweight is ridiculous. I am 6’2″ and my fighting weight started out a middleweight and I ended up doing mostly super middleweight bouts [160 and 168].

They found a tomato can for Edwards to cut his teeth on. It is far too late for him to ever become a real fighter but why not have a little fun in this off season. I wish him the best but don’t think he will ever be a true contender. Just don’t come to this sport that late in life and expect to contend.

8. purpleguy says: May 3, 2011 7:02 PM

You mean “Edwards is due to be an unrestricted free agent when the knockout ends” don’t you?

9. clownburger says: May 3, 2011 7:11 PM

Tyson was nowhere NEAR superior to Lewis. When He fought Lewis he was just a shell of his former self.

10. thegreenviking says: May 3, 2011 7:20 PM

I employ a boxing instructor who watched Edwards spar a week or two ago. Unless Gibson is paid to take a dive then Edwards has NO shot. Edwards has 0 boxing talent and looks lost in the ring. Wouldn’t surprise me if the fight didn’t last less then 30 seconds.

11. drgreenstreak says: May 3, 2011 8:38 PM

Edwards is due to become an unrestricted free agent when the knockout ends.

12. drgreenstreak says: May 3, 2011 8:39 PM

I want to see tuffy Gibson box Tommy Z!

13. buckybadger says: May 3, 2011 9:23 PM

@thegreenviking, the guy he is fighting will be just as lost and judging by his 5’9″ not exactly in good fighting condition if any condition at all. Gibson isn’t paid to take a dive but he is being paid to be a live punching bag. Even top amateurs don’t face anyone good in their first fight, Edwards is facing worse than a bum, he is facing a fat bum.

14. omniscient48 says: May 3, 2011 9:41 PM

purpleguy says: May 3, 2011 7:02 PM

******************************************

15. pervyharvin says: May 3, 2011 10:13 PM

I just love it when “other sport” tough guys try to realize their Rocky dreams. Fighting is no joke. I started at 5 and did all of it. Junior Olympics, Silver Gloves, Golden Gloves and pro. Even went MMA after boredom of retirement. Ray is nothing more than a novelty. Hope he realizes he is being exploited as a NFL player turned pinata.

16. thephantomstranger says: May 3, 2011 10:59 PM

What is this, proboxingtalk.com? Who cares? (Pervy, please don’t beat me up.)

17. jonathanedwardk says: May 4, 2011 12:23 AM

————————————————–
    @buckybadger
    Benefits of being taller
    *Being able to perform more punches– “chopping right” (as you mentioned leverage)
    *Generally have a longer reach (generally more suited to be an out-fighter)

Benefits of a shorter boxer
    *Performs hooks and uppercuts more easily to vital points (jaw, liver)
    *Quicker rotation (leads to more compact punches, less effort=greater stamina)
    *Generally more stocky, so vital points are more protected by compact muscle
    *If you are an In-fighter then you can more easily approach someone’s chest

I’m 6’1” and I agree that there are some benefits to height, but in boxing being shorter than your opponent is far more beneficial.

18. mvlonergan says: May 4, 2011 7:08 AM

Unless Gibson has orangutang arms, Edwards has a major reach advantage. Gibson will have to fight through the jabs, get inside, and work the body. I’d love to see it happen, but it probably won’t. Defensive linemen know how to use their hands.

19. theytukrjobs says: May 4, 2011 8:18 AM

I’m not trying to call Edwards the next Lennox Lewis here, but he has been training for the fight. I thought it was reported that he boxed all through his youth, though I could be mistaken. A lot of people in here talking about their silver gloves youth probably never fought against a man who is paid millions of dollars a year for his explosive strength and quickness…

Edwards is nowhere near a pro in that sport, obviously, but I’m guessing he can more than hold his own here at the amateur level against guys that wrench on cars for a living.

Just saying.