Rooney can’t “explain or even comprehend” Mendenhall’s comments

Art Rooney II AP

In the hours after Osama bin Laden was killed, Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall posted some messages on Twitter suggesting that he doesn’t think bin Laden was behind 9/11. Steelers President Art Rooney II said he’s baffled that Mendenhall would say such a thing.

“I have not spoken with Rashard so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments,” Rooney said in a statement posted at the team’s web site. “The entire Steelers’ organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon.”

Mendenhall’s Twitter comments included criticism of people who celebrated bin Laden’s death and doubts about what really took down the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

“We’ll never know what really happened,” Mendenhall said. “I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style.”

Clearly, Rooney has a hard time believing one of his players could make such crazy remarks.

Permalink 178 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
178 Responses to “Rooney can’t “explain or even comprehend” Mendenhall’s comments”
  1. lucky5934 says: May 3, 2011 10:39 AM

I am putting the over-under at 4 games before Rashard gets taken out with injury by a NFL Player who despises these comments.

2. phintasm says: May 3, 2011 10:42 AM

What’s worse, Birthers or 9/11 Truthers?

3. tinbender2000 says: May 3, 2011 10:42 AM

This clowns brain needs to be tested now! Put it back when you’re done, he won’t miss it.

4. 4evrnyt says: May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Well its’ true. Bin Laden wasn’t behind the attacks. In fact Bin Laden died about 6 or 7 years ago from kidney disease.

Hate all you want but Rashard didn’t say anything untrue.

5. crackerjackjoe says: May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Clearly he believes the idea that there was domestic involvement at very hight levels because of the way the buildings collapsed. It’s one of those stories floating around out there.

6. mike83ri says: May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

To be fair, there’s a convincing documentary called ‘Loose Change’ that holds it’s own as a credible conspiracy theory.

I’m guessing he’s watched it.

7. dccowboy says: May 3, 2011 10:44 AM

===========

Of the two the last is at least understandable. It is stunning that an airliner crashing into a building the size of the World Trade Center could eventually lead to the collapse of the building, the mechanics of the collapse are pretty complex. I don’t doubt that someone without a good foundation in science and construction could express disbelief.

The first sentence is just stupid. We know what happened. I think he might have meant something more like, “we’ll never know who actually did it or if the US Government was somehow involved.” But then, that statement is equally stupid.

8. zoxitic says: May 3, 2011 10:44 AM

You think the owners are contemplating buying Twitter and shutting it down?

9. andyreidcarboload says: May 3, 2011 10:44 AM

Must……Come…..To………Agreement………..Soon….

10. gwylie1 says: May 3, 2011 10:45 AM

Mendenhall is a Truther? No way!!!

11. tv426 says: May 3, 2011 10:45 AM

There is no shortage of stupid in this world.

12. stinkfingers says: May 3, 2011 10:45 AM

Even Rooney, who doesnt say a bad thing about anybody, can’t defend such a stupid statement Rashard. Nice work.

Why dont you burn an American flag while you’re at it, America hater.

13. cbusbrownie says: May 3, 2011 10:47 AM

I agree with Lucky5934, except I put it at 4 quarters and will even tell you that Ray Lewis will be the one to set him strait.

14. zibikbeer says: May 3, 2011 10:47 AM

A lot of NFL players are idiots. Ignorant too.

15. kernelreefer says: May 3, 2011 10:47 AM

Perhaps this will wake up NFL owners and encourage them to finally make some rules regarding team use of social media. Or at least require that each player discusses rules with PR people on staff.

This reflects poorly on Mendenhall, sure, but it is impossible to argue that this does not hurt the Steelers’ image as an organization (one which, as a fan of a team not in the AFC, I generally respect a great deal).

16. nothimagain says: May 3, 2011 10:48 AM

Yes Rashard, none of us had ever before seen an airplane take down a skyscraper “demolition” style, but then again, none of us had ever seen an airplane take down a skyscraper period.
    I suppose like the other nut jobs, a simple physics and engineering lesson would be a complete waste of time for Mendenhall.

17. 8drinkminimum says: May 3, 2011 10:48 AM

It’s guys like Rashard that give idiots a bad name.

18. alewatcher says: May 3, 2011 10:49 AM

I bet Mendehall can’t explain or comprehend his own remarks, either.

Rashard: Just shut up. Forever. You only make yourself look dumber with every tweet.

19. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: May 3, 2011 10:49 AM

Mendenhall is a “truther.” Awesome! Just when I thought that cast of idiots on the Steelers could not get any more amusing. What’s next? Born again Big “no sex until I am married” Ben converts to a muslim? I hope so.

20. George says: May 3, 2011 10:50 AM

I wish Mendenhall would think before he speaks… he’s an athlete; therefore, there will be a platform available to him at all times, why can’t he make better use of it? Good thing he doesn’t get paid for his brains, he would be broke hahaha

21. hobartbaker says: May 3, 2011 10:51 AM

I’m Art Too! says “My eyes bugged out of my head when I read the Mendenhall comments.”.

22. lbijake says: May 3, 2011 10:52 AM

That is why Rashad is a football player and does not have an occupation that requires more intelligence like rocket scientist or toll booth collector.

23. rc33 says: May 3, 2011 10:52 AM

There have been other crackpots that questioned whether 9/11 was an inside job. Naturally, they offer zero evidence, much less proof of any type.
    But what I can’t figure out is Mendenhall saying “we’ve heard only one side of the story” (with regard to Bin Laden)
    Seriously? It’s imperative that we hear what…Bin Laden’s rationale for killing 3000 people?
    This guy’s a flat-out buffoon. We should all be offended.

24. dansyndersux says: May 3, 2011 10:52 AM

Hes clearly deranged. But thats the great thing about this country; even deranged people are entitled to their own opinion.

I want to thank our intelligence and military personnel for a job well done!

25. scottyd27 says: May 3, 2011 10:53 AM

Mendenhall has always suffered from fumbleitis and the knucklehead factor.

I do agree with one thing he did say. While i’m glad OBL sleeps with the fishes, I will admitt to being distrubed by the celebrations. It reminded me of what the muslims were doing after 9-11.

I think we’re better than that. I believe in American expectionalism and think a thank you to our president, intel services and troops would’ve been appropriate and then everyone goes to work like americans do.

But mendenhall is a moron.

26. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 3, 2011 10:53 AM

Mendenhal’s right. People are just too blind with grief to see it.

Also, who’s the monster? We celebrate a man’s death just like Osama celebrated 911.

There is no celebration in death.

27. 1bigtex says: May 3, 2011 10:54 AM

My vote is for some kind of post concussion syndrome. It’s the only thing that makes sense given the brain dead comments.

28. touchdownroddywhite says: May 3, 2011 10:55 AM

Troops arent coming home. Gas isnt getting cheaper. The world isn’t a safer or nicer place, and nothing has really changed other than certain people quenching their need for retribution. Somehow I don’t think most people have truly weighed the significance or consequences of our actions.

29. eaglesnoles05 says: May 3, 2011 10:55 AM

lol @ lucky, but have you factored in the fact that this unbelievable moron is already ridiculously injury prone? Make it 2 games.

Twitter sure does suck when you consider what a voice it gives to ignorance. but freedom of speech is good, as is freedom of reactive speech. Both Rashad and AP can go live on a plantation for all I care.

30. Mike Tomlin says: May 3, 2011 10:55 AM

This is just ONE tweet out of a series of 10 tweets which was taken out of context in this article…

I’m not condoning what Mendenhall said but I think his rant was geared more toward the fact that people were celebrating bin Ladens death and not the fact that justice had finally been served. He went on to tweet:

“I believe in God. I believe we’re ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge.”

“For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn in hell … I ask how would God feel about your heart?”

“Those who judge others, will also be judged themselves.”

It wasnt a rant supporting bin Laden like you have clearly made it out to be twice now, and while I disagree in questioning that bin Laden was behind the attacks, you can’t attack a guy for believing that death was an inapropriate outcome.

31. ndomination says: May 3, 2011 10:56 AM

This is why NFL players can’t be politicians.

32. TheRealist says: May 3, 2011 10:56 AM

Conspiracy theorists are just gonna believe what they believe. There’s not really a need to take them too seriously (my boss is one). Don’t give this story attention. Rashard is just one of “those guys” who happens to be a pro athlete.

33. mikerol124 says: May 3, 2011 10:57 AM

Just play football, dummy.

34. sneaky1632 says: May 3, 2011 10:57 AM

If Rooney is confortable with having a traitor on his team, then that says a lot about that organization.

35. Steeler's Will says: May 3, 2011 10:57 AM

lucky5934 says:
    May 3, 2011 10:39 AM
    ——————–
    Meh, doubtful. Talk of revenge, headhunting, payback, etc is usually just talk. Mendy may be in the minority with his views but he’s hardly the only one.

36. clownburger says: May 3, 2011 10:57 AM

Mendenhall is not the only person who thinks that 9/11 is government conspiracy. A lot of people share his opinion on that. This is nothing new.

I think it’s nonsense and have seen every one of their conspiracy claims given logical explanations that seem to make sense, but some people still think it’s a conspiracy and are entitled to that opinion.

I’m not sure why so many people really care what he says.

So what?

37. tdk24 says: May 3, 2011 10:58 AM

I can explain it. Athletes=dumb people.

38. bleedgreen says: May 3, 2011 10:58 AM

Why is believing a conspiracy theory? Why is it not OK to criticize people who were OUTRAGED that other people in the world celebrated the 9/11 attacks in the streets of their own countries, but felt it was OK to celebrate in the streets at the death of someone else?

39. crimhollingsworth says: May 3, 2011 10:59 AM

Rashard sounds like one of those crazy people that wear tin foil hats and talk about birth certificates.

40. psmith7716 says: May 3, 2011 11:02 AM

I hope Mr. Mendenhall is prepared for the fan response not only in Heinz Field, but in every stadium in which the Steeler’s play. He certainly is entitled to his opinion, and the fans are entitled to their reaction to him. I don’t even want to think of some of the hits he will take on the field.

41. DiscountMescan says: May 3, 2011 11:02 AM

I personally think he’s two pickles short of a club sandwich if he really believes that.
    That’s a thought you keep to yourself not put out on the web for everyone to criticize.

42. tremoluxman says: May 3, 2011 11:03 AM

The Muldoon needs a lesson on Metallurgy 101. Heat, combined with time, weight , and vertical momentum spells disaster.

Oh, I forgot. The CIA hijacked the planes and flew them into the towers. Or Blackwater mercs, or aliens, or. . .

43. buffalohogan says: May 3, 2011 11:04 AM

This is an example of the players not understanding their role and thinking they are bigger than the game. The very reason why we are in this labor mess.

Dear Rashard, Shut up and do what you are paid to do: CARRY THE FOOTBALL AND SCORE TOUCHDOWNS>>>

44. cq18 says: May 3, 2011 11:04 AM

Actually i kinda agree with mendenhall. If you actually do some research then you will find out theres no way them planes made those buildings collapse like that

45. weinerpoop says: May 3, 2011 11:06 AM

What a bunch of good little ignorant sheep most of you are. How DARE anyone question what our government tells us, right? How DARE he actually use his brain and critical thinking skills instead of just believing what he’s told! He must hate Amurrrica!

46. kellyb9 says: May 3, 2011 11:07 AM

That’s good and all Rashard…. but didn’t he actually take credit for it several times? Why would you take credit for something you didn’t do?

47. whatswiththehate says: May 3, 2011 11:15 AM

Seriously, I hope a lot of what you folks are saying, although downright strange, is simply idle chatter because I would hate to know that this is how you folks deal with life. You’re quick to believe and even quicker to judge anyone this site tells you too.

By the way, did anyone of you go and read the rest of this person’s twitter or are you simply making up your mind based on this “TMZ” site.

Thanks Mike Tomlin for being the objective voice in a sea of followers.

48. jw731 says: May 3, 2011 11:15 AM

Juat another Professional athlete A$$ clown who needs to draw attention to himself when the stadiums are dark..Did any major news network, say after hearing the news…….Lets get Rashard Mendenhall’s outlook on the situtation?…..Pro athletes have for the majority been coddled all their lives, and they think whatever they say is gospel, no matter how stupid…..

49. Steeler's Will says: May 3, 2011 11:16 AM

cbusbrownie says:
    May 3, 2011 10:47 AM
    ——————
    RayRay is a consumate professional. You’re obviously posting through tears of rage.

50. henrypuppyhead says: May 3, 2011 11:17 AM

mike83ri says: May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

I’m guessing he’s watched it.

————

There’s also a special on National Geographic that actually uses experts and the people who designed the building to totally discredit “Loose Brains”.

51. joe6606 says: May 3, 2011 11:17 AM

Quite honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if the Steelers cut him (once football resumes).

I hated the pick 2 yrs ago. Just dont think an RB should EVER be drafted in the 1st round. Is a position that you can find someone servicable, much deeper into the draft, unlike pretty much any other position. Coupled with the fact that RBs have by far the shortest career span, using a 1st rounder is IMO a complete and utter waste.

2 years later, my opinion hasn’t changed much. He has been ok, but has not provided 1st round production. And arguably he singlehandedly lost us the SB with his horrendously weak fumble, inside GB territory at a time where the momentum was substantially in our favor.

Wackos who opine statements such as his just simply aren’t going to be tolerated in Pittsburgh, in particular when your on the field play can be easily replaced.

52. jfluke65 says: May 3, 2011 11:18 AM

Good thing you can’t get arrested for being stupid. The NFL might not be able to field more than 2 teams.

And it IS ok to be happy with his OBL’s death. It is quite different from the muslims celebrating the 9/11 attacks. OBL was not an innocent bystander, he was the instigator.

53. kibawib says: May 3, 2011 11:18 AM

Rashard hasn’t done his homework. There was a TV show that discussed the making of the WTC. The people interviewed even discussed the impact of a plane flying in to the building. The reason the planes were able to bring the buildings down wasn’t due to the impact of the collision but the heat from the jet fuel, which caused the steel girders to buckle, bend, and fail. Also, because NYC banned the use of asbestos, the girders on the upper floors weren’t covered with spray fireproofing. That’s why photos of Ground Zero show the girders on the bottom floors were bent but still intact, while the upper floors were completely destroyed. Here’s an example: http://ginacobb.typepad.com/gina_cobb/images/2007/04/29/september_11_ground_zero.jpg

54. t1mmy10 says: May 3, 2011 11:22 AM

Maybe he should be working on not fumbling the ball on potential game winning drives in the superbowl instead of spending his time focusing in crack-pot theories.

55. david7590 says: May 3, 2011 11:23 AM

mike83ri says:
    May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

I’m guessing he’s watched it.
    ————————————–
    Every theory in that movie has been discredited. Some scientifically and some where it was just obvious they din’t do good research, like using google maps to find the mileage between the Flight 93 site and a lake, any idiot knows google maps goes by a road to get to a destination, debits from an explosion doesn’t.

56. burntorangehorn says: May 3, 2011 11:24 AM

I think people are assuming that Mendenhall’s comments about not hearing the other side are necessarily saying that bin Laden may not have been involved. That is certainly one possible interpretation, but also possible is that he may believe OBL could have had some legitimate reason for taking the action, which of course would also be an unpopular opinion in the US, but not necessarily an unfounded one.

57. jpmelon says: May 3, 2011 11:26 AM

I’d love to see how Deb is going to defend this knucklehead.

58. TitansFan says: May 3, 2011 11:29 AM

Twitter… proudly helping stupid people tell millions of people stupid things one tweet at a time. Since 2006.

59. steelernfl says: May 3, 2011 11:29 AM

First it was about slavery in the NFL. Now this bs. Its time to release him so the Bengals or Browns can have him.

60. deadmanwalking47 says: May 3, 2011 11:32 AM

obviously the guy has had one concussion too many!

61. ilovefoolsball says: May 3, 2011 11:34 AM

“loose change” has been debunked over and over again, just google it.
    My guess is that Mendenhall saw this movie, or heard someone speak, and being the simpleton that he is he bought into it fully. Let’s face it guys, football players aren’t geniuses, a lot of them are barely high school educated yet they graduate from college somehow (we all know how).

Yes it’s perfectly fine to question the government and their stories, but don’t be one of these “reverse sheep” who disbelieve everything the government says and believe everything that Alex Jones and the like spew out just because you want to be an anarchist.

The only thing worse than a sheep that believes everything someone else says is one who believes everything that comes out it’s own ass.

62. radrntn says: May 3, 2011 11:34 AM

duh… what can you really say when somebody is really stupid, and ignorrant….

63. CKL says: May 3, 2011 11:36 AM

kernelreefer says: May 3, 2011 10:47 AM

_______________________________________
    Teams have the right to have protocol on social media already. Some choose not to do that. Not sure what the Steelers FO has in place if anything.

As for the poster who wondered if the owners want to buy out Twitter to prevent players comments that seem to be or are foolish…why? Don’t you think the owners might feel that some of these foolish things players tweet make the owners’ case look a little better?

64. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 11:37 AM

Well, he’s right to ask questions.

I 100% believe Bin Laden’s involvement and I DO NOT believe it was an inside job.

But…

If you believe the media and Bush admin’s account of what happened that day, then you have dug very deep.

It makes me angry that no one within the Bush admin, military, or CIA faced any type of scrutiny for their incompetence for that day, they did NOTHING to protect us.

It was quite easily the single worst military failure in world history, evidenced by how many layers were botched, from the FAA to Norad, to the President.

65. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 11:39 AM

@henrypuppyhead

I suggest you watch the doc called 9/11 What Really Happened which chronicles the Jersey Girls and their attempts to get the govt. to do their job and investigate 9/11 thoroughly.

I assure you it will raise some eyebrows.

66. lowleadman says: May 3, 2011 11:41 AM

Every week a player is saying or doing something to embarrass his team or himself.

Guess it’s time for the players to get back to work. Too much idle time on their hands. Hey Mendenhall, go out and help the community and get off twitter you pant load.

67. digirootune says: May 3, 2011 11:42 AM

Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy. Gotta be…right?

68. Mike Tomlin says: May 3, 2011 11:42 AM

one of the worst scenes from all of 9/11 was the camera footage of muslim people celebrating the attacks in the street of their country. Guess what we did when we retailated?

[video=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kI8EUqbWdM]

Im not saying im not happy about it but this is what mendenhall was getting at and PTF failed to even mention it because mendenhall saying “ive never seen a plane take down a building” generates more page hits

69. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 11:45 AM

@kibawib

Nope, you’re the one who has not done their homework. The fuel from the crash did not and could not burn hot enough, for as long as required, to melt steel and result in a pancake collapse. At worst, there should be a steel core left.

I guess it doesn’t alarm you, the govt, or the media that no steel building has EVER collapsed from fire in the history of the world until 9/11. In fact, 3 did. And no, it hasn’t happened since.

Please use common sense.

70. cup1981 says: May 3, 2011 11:45 AM

I don’t give a hell what the guy believes, just run for 1,200+ yards and score 10+ TDs. Other than that, why do we care??

71. brownmud says: May 3, 2011 11:47 AM

For the few of you suggesting Americans are celebrating his death, I think your missing the point.

72. hobartbaker says: May 3, 2011 11:47 AM

Since his eyeballs protrude out of his head, Rash has a 360 degree field of vision and sees stuff the rest of us don’t. It is a condition known as panoramic vision. Or in Rash’s case, paranoiac vision.

73. dolphindad says: May 3, 2011 11:49 AM

every bozo in america can have a twitter account and tweet whatever they want. i dont agree with the argument that because they are a pro athelete they should shut up and not speak on anything. its not like Mendenhall called a press conference or took out an ad in a newspaper. He did what 190 million other twitter users do everyday and tweeted some thoughts on something in the news. if you aren’t interested in what he has to say then dont follow him. I too disagree with the content of what he said, but I’m not going to say he shouldn’t be tweeting about whatever he wants.

If we are so offended by what athletes say and think they should be cut or hurt on the field as a result, then maybe we spend too much time and emotional investment celebrating football players. its easy to assume that athletes hidden under the helmets think and feel the same way we do on all things. because they are a hero on the field, they must be a hero in real life too. Its easy to get angry when we find out that’s not true. yet we dont really do anything to encourage athletes to actually be educated on such subjects. how many people write letters to their alma maters demanding tougher acadmeic standards for our favorite college teams. maybe if mendehnall got a real education at Illinois instead of a drive-thru diploma, he wouldn’t have such ignorant thoughts on these subjects. but thats not what we really want from our athletes is it? that is, until they say something we disagree with.

i think Mendenhall was way way off when he said he understood were Peterson was coming from when he made his slavery comment. but when you read how many people are villanizing him and their proposed consequences for him for tweeting something maybe 5% of the popoulation believes, then you can kinda start to see where he might be coming from.

74. nineleveninsidejob says: May 3, 2011 11:50 AM

for the love of god, just look up ANYTHING related to 9/11 fake crap and you’ll realize you are all being lied to. Building 7 collapsed free-fall from being detonated and wasn’t even hardly damaged… now they act like that building didn’t even fall lol. White-trash ignorance is the death of us all.

75. hobartbaker says: May 3, 2011 11:50 AM

Rash is pretty sure that honkey redneck Elvis had something to do with it. Why else would he be hiding out in a motel all these years?

76. dukemarc says: May 3, 2011 11:52 AM

mike83ri says:
    May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

I’m guessing he’s watched it.

——————————————–

No, no it doesn’t – and I feel sorry for you that you actually buy into that garbage.

77. fishbone80 says: May 3, 2011 11:52 AM

Mendenhall – you have a hard time believing two planes took down the twin towers??!! – IT’S ON VIDEO! The whole world saw it, you moron.

Steelers fans have a hard time believing you fumbled in the Super Bowl – but that is on video too – care to explain? Probably a conspiracy of some sort huh?

What an IDIOT!

78. hobartbaker says: May 3, 2011 11:54 AM

Rash’s theory is that it was an elaborate plot cooked up by Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa, Hitler, and Amelia Earhart in that run down motel.

Just so they could say “Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has levelled the building!”.

79. fishbone80 says: May 3, 2011 11:54 AM

TitansFan says:
    May 3, 2011 11:29 AM

CLASSIC! – no one could put it any better.

80. fighting69th says: May 3, 2011 11:56 AM

Just what an ass.

81. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 11:57 AM

@ilovefoolsbal

Loose Change is HARDLY the only doc/info out there to question what happened that day. If you or others equate “911 Truthers” to that movie, then you clearly don’t understand the facts or how much information completely unrelated to that doc that there is out there.

Do your own homework, think for yourself.

82. closisgood says: May 3, 2011 11:59 AM

A lot of people did believe it was a US joint effort to bring down the towers and scare people into giving more $$$ and more control to the gov’t.

Obviously 9/11 did change our lives and increased national security. So who knows, obviously the gov’t wouldn’t come out and say they did that.

83. calhounlambeau says: May 3, 2011 12:00 PM

Can’t blame Art Rooney, he’s apparently never heard of a ‘false flag’ operations, governments have been using them since the beginning of time. I’m not saying 9/11 was a conspiracy, or was allowed to happen, but no government is too good, or too righteous to do terrible things. Just looking into the Reichstag fire in Germany in the 1930’s as a prime example.

Not everything is a conspiracy, but that doesn’t mean everything is what CNN tells us either.

I just ask that people try to keep an open mind and not treat Rashard Mendenhall like a lesser person. He’s just one man with an opinion. We’ve all in one point in our lives held an unpopular opinion.

84. joerevs300 says: May 3, 2011 12:01 PM

Rooney should put his boot in Mendenhall’s hind end and kick him right off the Steelers. Conduct like that is completely unacceptable.

85. mattyc says: May 3, 2011 12:02 PM

It is unfortunate…. But Mendenhall is right!

George W Bush was behind that tragedy. He knew in advance that it was going to happen, where the executors of the plan were, & did NOTHING. Why? Election year. We don’t vote in new Presidents in the midst of tragedy.

I believe that to be 2 million % true.

86. karlpilkington says: May 3, 2011 12:02 PM

4evrnyt says:
    May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Hate all you want but Rashard didn’t say anything untrue.

Please share with all of us where you get your intel from? Let me guess you are one of those guys where it all has to be about you and you need attention to get through your life. You are an idiot and I only wish you would let everyone know who you are. I have an idea. A keyboard tough guy. Am I dead on. I thought so.

87. narutofan10 says: May 3, 2011 12:03 PM

so you people that think it is wrong to celebrate the death of a murderer of 3000 people and basically sparked a war is wrong…i guess you guys wouldn’t of celebrated when hitler was finally killed…(-_-) didn’t realize hippies were still in full force someone call eric cartman :D

88. coachstram says: May 3, 2011 12:05 PM

” ……..and now your starting line up for the Omaha Nighthawks……….at running back, Rasharrrrrrrrd Mendennnnnnhalllllllll…….”

89. giablommi says: May 3, 2011 12:05 PM

- Fact: UBL was a CIA asset during the 1980’s
    – Demise: bin Laden was on kidney dialysis at the beginning of the last decade and his death was widely reported in non-western media outlets in December 2001.
    – Smoking Gun?: Project for a New American Century (PNAC). Look up their report issued in September 2000: Rebuilding America’s Defenses, page 51. Then look up who signed onto this report, and tell me this is a not an unsettling “coincidence”.
    – Mystery: World Trade Center Building 7 collapsed but NOT struck by an airplane, only known steel framed building to collapse due to fire.
    – Slip up: Donald Rumsfeld: “Flight 93 was shot down”
    ^^^^^
    Perhaps the patriotic thing is not to blindly accept government propaganda but instead to ask critical questions of many events which have touched and altered many lives and led our nation down unsavory paths.

I love this country as much as you do. I can’t tell you definitively what happened on 9/11 but a lot of the official story does not hold up. Sorry if this “offends” some of you, but for the sake of ours and our children’s future, painful and uncomfortable questions *need* to be asked to put this dark era behind us.

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” George Orwell

90. 4jack4 says: May 3, 2011 12:05 PM

there are too many people who are just one brick short of a full load.

91. ubummer says: May 3, 2011 12:07 PM

It is not difficult at all to understand why and how Mendenhall could be saying what he’s saying about bin Laden and also when he compared playing in the NFL to slavery.

The answer is that he is an intelligent and impressionable young man who attended a typical university in the US. He actually listened to and believed the identity politics, victimhood, and relative morality taught to him that is part of the indoctrination students receive at colleges across the nation.

92. giablommi says: May 3, 2011 12:09 PM

- Fact: UBL was a CIA asset during the 1980’s
    – Smoking Gun: Project for a New American Century (PNAC). Look up their report issued in September 2000: Rebuilding America’s Defenses, page 51. Then look up who signed onto this report, and tell me this is a not an unsettling “coincidence”.
    – Slip up: Donald Rumsfeld: “Flight 93 was shot down”
    ^^^^^

93. profootballwalk says: May 3, 2011 12:10 PM

I believe the CIA has been collecting my odd socks for years.

94. jamie54 says: May 3, 2011 12:13 PM

So bleedgreen “I’m not saying I agree with him, but there’s PLENTY of questions and criticism of the ‘Official Story’ of 9/11.”

Where’s the proof you dope? I find it reprehensible for anyone to imply our government would intentionally murder over 3,000 of it’s own people, destroy billions of dollars worth of building and infrastructure, hurt the lives of all those families, and for what? So we can go on a witch hunt as a country and waste more billions of dollars, more lives, more taxpayer money? Do you really believe this? Really? And you believe in Nostredumbass, the world will end in 2012, there’s little green men running around New Mexico? Idiots, out and out idiots.

95. steeelfann says: May 3, 2011 12:14 PM

It makes you wonder what Mendenhall’s twittering would be like if say….maybe his parents were the ones that jumped from the top of the twin towers because they could not take the heat of the burning metal instead of those other poor souls. Or maybe his sister or maybe his best friend.

One has to wonder if Mendenhall has any idea about Al-Qaeda and how they hate all non-Muslims and constantly kill Muslims “unlike them”?

One has to wonder if someone Mendenhall loved was beheaded as Al-Qaeda has done to many?

Does this fool even understand what Muslim extremism is? How many have been slaughtered by them in the last 40 years? The Israeli wrestlers executed in the 1972 Olympics?

Did this fool ever read the The Looming Tower?

Did this fool ever watch the interview of Bin Laden in 1998?

Does this fool understand remotely engineering principles?

Has this fool been watching Africa over the last 20 years and what Muslims have done to innocent Africans?

Does this fool understand Mali?

I am so done with the public school system if they turn out total zipperheads like this. What are they teaching these kids?

It is obvious he does not have much in his brain, has not paid any attentions to details other than what the far left media has printed.

In summary, last fall I purchased a Mendenhall jersey for my 4 year old son. I can assure you that shirt will be used down at the barn to wipe off the tractor grease, or whatever. It won’t ever be on my son again. And when I am at Heinz, I will boo this empty noggin until he is run out of Pittsburgh.

96. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 12:14 PM

@narutofan10

Bin Laden sparked a war? That’s funny, I could have sworn GEORGE BUSH started a war. He even started a war with people that had NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11.

He knew about the threats from Bin Laden AT LEAST 30 days in advance — this is COMMON KNOWLEDGE and WIDELY REPORTED on EVERY MAJOR NEWS STATION.

Bin Laden is one of the greatest monsters in history and I hope he burns in hell for his role in 9/11 but make no mistake — George Bush is why we are in Iraq and he was ITCHING to do it.

97. shackdelrio says: May 3, 2011 12:15 PM

How long until Fox News analysts realize that Mendenhall was at University of Illinois at the same time Barack Obama was the junior senator from Illinois. That can’t be just a coincidence.

98. patswinagain says: May 3, 2011 12:15 PM

At first, I thought this is just an uneducated comment or perhaps, if you gave him a mulligan he might phrase it better…but then I read about 3o or so posts above and shockinly came to the conclusion that we live among many many moronic, ignorant and ridiculously stupid people. I’m am completely shocked that there are so many people on this site who call America their home, that just-don’t-get-it!

We celebrated not so much his death or the death of another human, but rather the removal of Al-queda’s mastermind. The knowledge that this monster can no longer mess with freedom.

We chanted USA, not “death to islam”. Unlike they did on 9/11. Extremists chanted ” Death to America”. We didn’t burn their flags/books (except the moron terry jones) like they do. We celebrated our flag.

Grab a clue you!

99. easyeddie says: May 3, 2011 12:15 PM

Mendenhall and the the truther posters on this thread need to be sent down to one of the NYFD stations or meet with some 9/11 families for a little one-on-one. What a bunch of frickin’ dolts.

100. 8man says: May 3, 2011 12:15 PM

This is the problem with Facebook and Twitter. They tacitly imply that everyone should have a forum and everyone else is interested.

Flawed assertions at best. And why I am on neither.

101. giablommi says: May 3, 2011 12:16 PM

By the way, am I the only one who finds the timing of this suspicious?

$4 dollar gas is here again, Japan’s nuclear fiasco threatens Obama’s agenda to create more nuclear facilities on US soil, the economy is in the tank and so is Obama’s approval ratings. And by the way, Obama’s re-election campaign will be kicking off shortly.

Though I was relatively sure Usama bin Dead for many years now, presumably of natural causes, I was going to keep an open mind and let the evidence play itself out. However, the fact we’re expected to believe that he was killed and ALLEGEDLY buried at sea and his body NOT put on public display a la Uday and Qusay Hussein is frankly a little insulting to the cognitive abilities possessed by myself and my fellow Americans.

Come on people, THINK

102. calhounlambeau says: May 3, 2011 12:16 PM

Osama Bin Laden’s kidney problems were at best only speculation, they have never been confirmed. If Bin Laden did die in years past, the CIA would have found out, the world would have known, someone of his stature and influence couldn’t just die in a cave without nobody finding out. His family would find out, and i’m sure the CIA has contacts within the Bin Laden family.

103. hobartbaker says: May 3, 2011 12:16 PM

Sucks to be Osama. He was tired of spending all his time in damp, dark, caves to he moved to town. Now he is up to his concrete encased knees in muck at the bottom of the South Arabian Sea. Where the sun don’t shine.

104. alewatcher says: May 3, 2011 12:25 PM

Nevis says: May 3, 2011 11:45 AM

@kibawib

Please use common sense.

———————

Both airliners were cross-country flights, and hence fully loaded with fuel. The steel did not have to melt – it only needed to get hot enough to deform and buckle. 24,000 gallons of jet fuel will easily generate enough heat to deform steel. Once the steel deforms, and individual beams fail, the weight of the building above the impact site is enough to initiate the collapse. From there, it’s a domino effect until it collapses completely.

As far as your contention that no other steel building has ever collapsed in a fire, normal fires do not engulf 4,000 square feet of a building instantly with 24,000 gallons of accelerant. Any building would likely collapse under those conditions, especially if the fire is not at the very top of the building. Buildings have plenty of redundancy to allow evacuation of the people in the building if a fire should occur, but no design can withstand what happened on 9/11.

Take off the tin-foil hat and have a cup of reality.

105. catman72 says: May 3, 2011 12:25 PM

So Ratard Mendenhall doesn’t think the terrorists planned those attacks in such a way that they knew it would bring those buildings down?

The WTC’s were built using a “curtain” technique to support the weight of the buildings, which means that basically the outside walls supported the weight. The terrorists knew that if they struck the buildings about 2/3 of the way up, the damage and fire would undermine the structure and eventually the weight of the top section collapsing would bring the whole building down.

There were enough failures by our government to protects it’s people that you don’t need to come up with conspiracy theories… we were asleep at the wheel and we paid for it.

Ratard Mendenhall needs to “stay in his lane” and not worry about all this fancy ideas.

106. wycoff says: May 3, 2011 12:29 PM

bearsrulepackdrool says:
    May 3, 2011 10:53 AM

There is no celebration in death.

__________________________

What kind of moral coward equates the man who ordered the intentional murder of thousands of civilians with the innocent people who he ordered murdered? There is celebration in this man’s death. He deserved to die, and the world is a better place with him gone. I am celebrating. If you are not, then, frankly, there’s something wrong with you.

107. Deb says: May 3, 2011 12:30 PM

@sneaky1632 …

Oh my gosh, is there no end to the lengths Steeler haters will go to make this kind of stupidity by an individual all about the team? The team owner and the fans, myself included, have posted our anger, frustration, and disappointment with Mendenhall. But no matter how we feel about what he said, he has the right to say it. This is the United States of America and freedom of speech is a founding principle. Legally and morally, the team cannot fired the man because he made an ass of himself. If employers could fire people for being asses, how would you feed yourself?

108. Deb says: May 3, 2011 12:32 PM

4evrnyt says:

The 9/11 attacks were 10 years ago. Even if your theory that he died six or seven years ago were true, he could still have planned the 9/11 attacks. Not a math whiz, huh?

109. dfensfelix says: May 3, 2011 12:33 PM

It’s always gratifying and hilarious when someone has the nerve to call someone else “ignorrant” while spelling the word “ignorant” wrong. Priceless

110. melikefootball says: May 3, 2011 12:34 PM

Goodbye Mendy!!!!!

111. muckhappy says: May 3, 2011 12:39 PM

I am not a ravens fan, but I hope Terrell Suggs and ray Lewis each grab one of these idiot’s legs and make a wish week 1. Hey mendenhall, how many friends and family members did you lose on 9/11? I am guessing none. How can I hate someone I have never met? Well let’s see. Over 3000 innocent men and women were killed that day. It makes it easy to celebrate the death of that pos bin laden.

112. Deb says: May 3, 2011 12:43 PM

Unfortunately, Rooney can’t discuss this with Mendenhall because of the lockout. When the NFL settles its own mess, I hope the Steelers set team rules regarding Twitter. This is a business, and most corporations have rules regarding what employees can post publicly because they represent their organizations.

@Mike Tomlin …

I read the full exchange, and if Rashard had limited himself to expressing his faith and distaste over celebrating any man’s death, I wouldn’t object. But he questioned the events of 9/11 and commented that “we’ve only heard one side.” The events of 9/11, including the structural reasons the towers collapsed, are well-documented, and Bin Laden himself claimed credit for those attacks and many others. Mendenhall’s comments were ignorant and insensitive.

113. hobartbaker says: May 3, 2011 12:44 PM

Shortly before being dumped in the ocean Osama’s doctors advised him to cut down on his fluid intake to ease the pressure on his weak kidneys.

114. Deb says: May 3, 2011 12:46 PM

@BernardPollardIsAnAss …

So glad our dimwitted players are a source of such amusement. Time for Belichick to write his book: How to Muzzle Players, with a forward by Wex Welker. Tell him Tomlin gets the first copy ;)

115. mezanine10 says: May 3, 2011 12:47 PM

This just reaffirms what everyone already knows…when a pro athlete says something about politics, it’s best to ignore them.

116. steeelfann says: May 3, 2011 12:49 PM

Dear Rash,

If you would have at least watched the documentary on TV,that the Clintons tried to block, you would have a better understanding of what led up this.

Also, by the way, we all know exactly what happened.
    Get off the reality tv shows and start using that little brain.

Study the Muslim Brotherhood. In fact, go back to the 1940’s and 1950’s. Then come forward studying all of the Muslim extremist actions.

Here some things you can work on with all of your free time:

)Also, remember George Bush closed many of the middle east military bases as Obama demanded.)

Look up what the Muslims did in Munich per my previous email;

Look up Daniel Pearl and his visit;

Look up what the Muslims did to the Kenyan Embassay;

Look into Bali at hotel attack;

Look what they did in Egypt at the square with the innocent tourists;

Look up what they did on the cruise ship to innocent tourist killing a sailor and throwing a man in a wheelchair into the seas;

Look at the raping and murder they have committed all over Africa to Christians; please check out the Sudan in particular;

Oh and Mendy, here is what happened on 9/11: 20 Al-Qaeda Muslim extremists hijacked various commercial airliners that were laden with as much fuel as possible (that is because they get the most exploding and burning Rashard, in case that point go by you) to smash into targets: They picked the world trade center for obvious financial and symbolic reasons as well as overall kill rate and damage; they picked the Pentagon for obvious reasons; the one that crashed in PA (thanks to brave passengers, unlike yourself) saved the Whitehouse; This is what happened Mendy. It is really not important if anyone has talked to Osama. John Miller is the only westerner who has ever interviewed him. He came away chilled as to the lack of care those Muslims had for any innocent people. Please read the interview during your free time, it may help you.

By the way Mendy, there is going to be more bloodshed. It will be by Muslim extremists who will rationalize that it is okay to kill innocent Jews, Christians, and Muslims. Maybe if the season does not start, we can send you over to the mideast to put a stop to it. Maybe you will get captured and give us first-hand details of how really kind Al-Qaeda is to innocents like yourself Rashard.

By the way Rashard, please enter a remedial course on physics. Maybe you can understand what REALLY HAPPENS when a commercial jet airliner filled to the brim with jet fuel is flown straight into a building or anything else for that matter. Yea Rashard, I am surprised the plane just didn’t bounce off the side and trickle down the side of the building. People probably could just keep working instead of burning to death.

One last message Rashard, on the slavery comment. Way to once again count your blessings. You live in the best country in the world and you have one of the best “jobs” in the world. What do you do, you liken it to slavery. Well, at this time, I urge you to head over to Africa and keep any eye on your Muslim extremist friends as well as a few others. They are using slaves as we speak. Check out Ethiopia, Ghana, parts of Nigeria, Sudan, Mauritania, Chad, and Mali.
    Many Arab Muslims are holding slaves today. But I know, you have it worse than them, right Rashard.
    I mean, what REALLY happens?

117. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 12:51 PM

@alewatcher

The problem is, you’re wrong. Heat and Temperature are different things, but easily confused, even among engineers.

The temperature required to melt steel, which was only sustained for MINUTES (not hours as it would be required). In a worst case scenario, it would take HOURS at a MUCH HIGHER TEMPRATURE to melt the steel.

As for your “it didn’t melt, it deformed” theory, guess what? That DOES NOT EQUATE to a FULL PANCAKE COLLAPSE. Even if the floors came down as suggested, where is the core?

It is scientifically impossible to say that any of the buildings, LET ALONE ALL 3, collapsed from fire.

I do wonder though, what is your explanation of Building 7? The one that WASN’T hit with an airplane and didn’t have NEARLY THE SAME FIRE PROBLEMS as the WTC? How exactly did that happen?

How exactly did it happen to collapse into a nice pile of dust?

As for the REASONS or what I am suggesting? The ONLY thing I am suggesting is that the official story is NOT the true story and this should have been thoroughly investigated at the time and heads should have rolled.

Instead, we re-elected the very man who allowed it to happen by ignoring threats.

Govt. stupidly and ignorance: 1
    American People: 0

118. ilovefoolsball says: May 3, 2011 12:52 PM

Nevis says:
    May 3, 2011 11:45 AM
    @kibawib

Please use common sense.
    ______________
    bahhhh, you’re just as bad as the sheep who believe everything the government says!
    YOU use common sense nimrod. A freaking commercial jet liner flew head first into a building, and you don’t think that’s enough to make it collapse? Wouldn’t burn hot enough you say? Don’t you know anything about physics? The weight of the building above the impact zone was TONS, TONS I SAY! It’s only as strong as it’s weakest point, once that weakest point begins to falter THE ENTIRE SYSTEM OF SUPPORT GIVES WAY.
    No there was never a building that collapsed like that BECAUSE THERE WAS NEVER A COMMERCIAL JET LINER CRASHING INTO A BUILDING HEAD FIRST.

Whew man, some people’s children, think they’re so smart for believing other people and not the people that everyone else believes.
    Where’s my sheers? I need to cut me some cotton with all these sheep.

119. ubummer says: May 3, 2011 12:56 PM

Oh and another thing.

Since Obama orchestrated and ordered the murder of a foreign national without the benefit of a trial, that makes him guilty of crimes against humanity and he should voluntarily give up his Nobel Peace Prize. Right?

120. kibawib says: May 3, 2011 1:00 PM

Nevis says: May 3, 2011 11:45 AM

@kibawib

Also, “fire” was the reason for Building 7 to collapse hours later, despite not being hit by a plane and having only marginal fire. Yet it fell within seconds. … Please use common sense.

———————
    I don’t know why my post bothered you, but rather than debating the point I’ll post here what engineers (i.e., professionals trained to determine why the buildings collapsed), concluded: “The civil engineering establishment generally accepts ((though not by a few outsiders claiming a conspiracy with planted explosives), the impacts of jet aircraft at high speeds in combination with subsequent fires, rather than controlled demolition, led to the collapse of the Twin Towers.” Bažant, Zdeněk P.; Verdure, Mathieu (March 2007). “Mechanics of Progressive Collapse: Learning from World Trade Center and Building Demolitions”. Journal of Engineering Mechanics 133 (3): 308–319.
    So, you are wrong. Enjoy your tin foil crown. I hear it will prevent the alien invaders from reading your thoughts.

121. scottyd27 says: May 3, 2011 1:02 PM

stop it

122. cylondetector says: May 3, 2011 1:02 PM

I find it amusing that a pro athlete is being derided for being ‘stupid’ when all he is doing is questioning what he is being told by the mass media and the Govt.

By keeping an open mind he is showing way more intellectual curiosity than 95% of you knuckleheads who are too scared to pull back the wizards curtain.

The anger alot of you display is an obvious symptom of denial.

123. giablommi says: May 3, 2011 1:03 PM

“So what is the conspiracy here? Explosives were planted in the WTC when it was built? It was really Navy SEALS that flew the airplanes into the WTC? The CIA?”
    ^^^^^
    No but the WTC was shutdown for an entire weekend before 9/11 for “installation of fiber optic cables”, at which point the entire security system was disabled.

Also, any guess as to why thermite (an accelerant which burns at upwards of 4,566 °Fahrenheit) was found at the WTC site and what appeared to be a thermite reaction was videotaped taking place on the upper floors of a WTC tower immediately prior to collapse?

124. ilovefoolsball says: May 3, 2011 1:05 PM

shears not jeers

125. semperfi24 says: May 3, 2011 1:05 PM

I hate people that think EVERYTHING the gov does is because of some kind of conspiracy… The war in Iraq is because of oil right? Wouldnt that mean we have more oil, and lower gas prices??? Why would gas be more expensive if we had all of Iraq’s oil??? Just saying…

I have watched with my own eyes, a demonstration where a steel girder was placed over the top of a pool of jet fuel, and after 15 minutes of burning, the girder collapsed under its own weight. Think about that for a second, the heat from the fuel, caused the girder to fail in 15 minutes, under its own weight. Not under the weight of billions of lbs of cement/steel/furniture/etc… And some of you want me to believe that it isnt possible, I will repeat, I am not saying this is reality, I am using the word “possible”. You expect me to believe that jet fuel, burning for over 45 minutes, couldnt possibly be enough to weaken the steel beams enough, for them to fail under the weight of the millions of lbs of material from the 15 floors above???

Without 100% proof that it was taken down rather than a collapse, I have to believe it simply collapsed under the weight of the floors above. The term common sense has been thrown around, and for me, common sense says that if there are 50 beams in place to hold up a building, and 15 of those are taken out at impact, and the remaining 35 are exposed to 1800 degree fires for an hour, with millions of lbs of material on top of them, something is going to give… And once it buckles slightly, and allows that weight above to move a little, there is nothing to stop it

126. dansnydersux says: May 3, 2011 1:06 PM

I think Einstein said it best. “There are only two things that are infinite. Human stupidity and the universe, and I’m not so sure about the second one.”

127. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 1:07 PM

@ilovefoolsball

I will not waste my time arguing with you over the physics required to do what we saw happen that day, but I’ll go as far to say, I don’t agree with you.

But your “argument” doesn’t seem to explain Building 7. Which was not hit by a plane. And did not suffer from any such fire of any such magnitude.

Maybe you can apply your assumed physics degree to explain that one to “nimrods” like me?

Thanks.

128. steelersmichele says: May 3, 2011 1:08 PM

psmith7716 says: I hope Mr. Mendenhall is prepared for the fan response not only in Heinz Field, but in every stadium in which the Steeler’s play…I don’t even want to think of some of the hits he will take on the field.

The fan response in every stadium? Geez, didn’t you people boo Ben last season? And what did that do? Nothing, except get him to the Super Bowl.

And the players will purposely go out and hurt Mendenhall? Please…they all end up sticking up for each other in the end. Even Ray Lewis called Ben to show him some support on how to get through his “tough time.”

I don’t agree with Mendenhall at all. His previous comments about slavery combined with his most recent comments obviously make him an idiot. Don’t blame Steelers fans for this–if you look as the postings, 99% of us think he’s dumb (including our owner).

129. cylondetector says: May 3, 2011 1:09 PM

Frank A. Demartini, on-site construction manager for the World Trade Center, spoke of the resilience of the towers in an interview recorded on January 25, 2001.

The building was designed to have a fully loaded 707 crash into it. That was the largest plane at the time. I believe that the building probably could sustain multiple impacts of jetliners because this structure is like the mosquito netting on your screen door — this intense grid — and the jet plane is just a pencil puncturing that screen netting. It really does nothing to the screen netting.

130. kibawib says: May 3, 2011 1:11 PM

Nevis–more for you–“The fire is the most misunderstood part of the WTC collapse. Even today, the media report (and many scientists believe) that the steel melted. It is argued that the jet fuel burns very hot, especially with so much fuel present. This is not true. … the failure of the steel was due to two factors: loss of strength due to the temperature of the fire, and loss of structural integrity due to distortion of the steel from the non-uniform temperatures in the fire.”

131. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 1:11 PM

Also @ilovefoolsball, to answer your question — NO, I don’t believe a jet airliner with full fuel hitting a building so close to the top is enough to PANCAKE COLLAPSE an entire building.

Physics don’t work that way.

132. favrefan says: May 3, 2011 1:13 PM

I agree with Mendenhall. The US trys to manipulate people into believing Bin Ladin did such a thing. I don’t buy it and I’m sure a lot of people feel the same way

133. closisgood says: May 3, 2011 1:15 PM

Celebrating 1 death when 10s of thousands have died after the war was ignited and almost 3000 died due to the attack that sparked the war? Yea that 1 death makes it all worth those dead soldiers. Idiots, don’t ever celebrate any death

134. giablommi says: May 3, 2011 1:17 PM

^^^^^
    I’m not a physicist, so take it for what it’s worth, but common sense would seem to dictate as the fires were concentrated at the point of jet impact, the building would have toppled over instead of failing across the entire floors and pancaking its way on down.

“If you want me to believe that the building was detonated, in order to take it down, show me some explosions in the seconds prior to collapse.”
    ^^^^^
    Its painful to watch, but look at a close up view of the Towers’ implosion. Many explosions can be seen emanating from the initial point of failure as and the building collapsed all the way down to the ground. This is what led me to the painful conclusion that we were not being told the truth.

135. semperfi24 says: May 3, 2011 1:23 PM

What is the disgust we have for the Iraq war??? I am not saying I agree with the decision to go into Iraq, but the idea of WMD’s was certainly plausible. Plausible enough that Congress voted to go into to Iraq. Ok, we didnt find WMD’s, but we did liberate a country from a brutal dictator. Doesnt that mean something??? Everyone that beats on that horse about going into Iraq, pretends like liberating the Iraqi people never happened, or maybe shouldnt have happened? Iraq is better off today than it was 10 years ago, because Saddam is gone. I personally dont care why we went to Iraq, but I am proud to have helped liberate the Iraqi people…

136. sterilizecromartie says: May 3, 2011 1:25 PM

I.. am.. a drone.. who.. must.. believe.. everything.. my.. government.. tells.. me….. please… reboot… my battery….. shutting… down… now….

SHUT UP PEOPLE. Nobody said you have to believe EVERYTHING the government tells you. But, you should believe your government if they tell you the sky is blue… or if they tell you the grass is green… or if they tell you that Al Quaeda and a bunch of pi$$ed off terrorists were responsible for 9/11. Because those are facts.

For whatever reason, you have become so untrustful of your government that you refuse to believe ANYTHING they tell you, and that has clouded your judgment on this topic. The government tells you that bin Laden and a bunch of terrorists were responsible for 9/11 and you don’t believe it just because “you’re not a sheep who believes everything the government tells you!”. You would rather believe that this whole thing was a hoax of epic proportion put together by the government and they framed bin Laden into being portrayed as the guilty party. You sound ridiculous.

I know for a fact that deep down you don’t even believe yourselves. If you had to wager your house on correctly answering the question “who was responsible for 9/11?” I guarantee you would put your money on “bin Laden” or “terrorists” or “al queada”.

137. Deb says: May 3, 2011 1:26 PM

@jpmelon …

If you’d bothered reading any threads before mouthing off, you’d see I condemned Rashard’s comments last night after reading his Twitter feed myself. Next time try applying actual reading comprehension to my posts. You’ll find I stick to facts. I think Roethlisberger is an ass and supported his suspension even though he didn’t assault anyone, have agreed with some of Harrison’s fines and suggested he just shut up, and have called out other Steelers who should have been flagged or fined but weren’t. And I’ve defended rival players when the facts supported them. So stop assuming I’m some shallow twit who’s all about hate and homerism like you are.

138. giablommi says: May 3, 2011 1:27 PM

^^^^^^
    The scenario you described would lend itself to the upper floors toppling over.

By the way, fires have burned MUCH longer that those on 9/11. The First Interstate Tower is a 62 story tower that burned for 4 hours 1988, five floors were gutted but the building is still standing.

One Meridian Plaza, a 38 story skyscraper in Center City Philadelphia burned uncontrollably for 19 HOURS and no part of the building collapsed.

Compared this with WTC 7.

139. Deb says: May 3, 2011 1:28 PM

@rawsmoove, tatum064, ben6berry, and airborne5600 …

I’m well aware my government has sometimes played fast and loose with the truth, and I never take anything at face value. But mature people have to develop some degree of discernment. You don’t just gravitate to any crazy theories you pick up on the Internet. You conduct rational research through responsible sources.

The World Trade Towers were a longtime target of Al Qaeda as a symbol of America’s financial success. The organization tried and failed to bring them down more than once. That’s why Bin Laden and his lieutenants spent years studying the structure of the towers trying to learn how best to overcome those obstacles. They determined that, by using enough jet fuel–say, the amount carried by a passenger jet fully fueled for a cross-country flight–and creating a massive explosion, they could generate the heat necessary to weaken the towers’ steel support structure. In time, the towers would implode.

It was a masterful plan, perfectly executed. One of the most moving 9/11 documentaries I’ve seen was on the architect of the World Trade Center. He had a bird’s-eye view of the collapse from his apartment and realized as it happened that his own building design was the instrument of death.

I’ve spoken with firefighters trained in structural engineering so they can better understand how buildings collapse. There’s no mystery about what happened to the towers. And through my work, I spent more than four years living with paramilitaries in another of the world’s hot spots. Do not underestimate the amount of destruction that can be caused by a handful of people willing to kill or die for a cause. Bin Laden, with his inherited millions and support from Saudi royals, was much better funded than groups who’ve toppled government buildings with bombs made from stuff they bought at the Home Depot.

Your theories demonstrate nothing more than ignorance of the events and participants, failure to do even cursory research, and willingness to believe just about anything.

140. spartyfi says: May 3, 2011 1:37 PM

a lot more people believe this than you might think. I know several people who by all accounts are of above intelligence that believe this conspiracy theory BS. As in all things if spun enough and well enough anything can be made believable. I’m not defending his specific opinion, but I am defending his right to have it and speak it. And this coming from a Marine!

141. jpmelon says: May 3, 2011 1:38 PM

@ mattyc

Do you really think that 2001 was a presidential election year? lol….2 million % huh?

Comments like that make Mendenhall look like a genius.

142. fground says: May 3, 2011 1:39 PM

The internal conspiracy theory is nonsense of course. But the broader point that is almost always ignored or overlooked is the fact that bin Laden felt that America betrayed him and the mujahideen in the Afghan war with the Soviets. When Mendenhall says people in America only know one side that is almost assuredly true for 90+ percent of the population.

bin Laden’s response in targeting innocent civilians in several terrorist attacks can not be justified, but you sure can understand where the hatred came from. The US cut off the mujahideen of weapons and basically left them to be slaughtered by the Soviets.

I have no sympathy for anyone who attacks unarmed helpless people. But this your either good or evil nonsense is for children or adults unable to grapple with the complexity of the human species.

143. cincyalldaway says: May 3, 2011 1:41 PM

steeelfann says:
    May 3, 2011 12:14 PM

Did this fool ever read the The Looming Tower?

Did this fool ever watch the interview of Bin Laden in 1998?

Does this fool understand remotely engineering principles?

Does this fool understand Mali?

=============================
    Very well put sir! Enough said!

144. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 1:42 PM

@kibawib

Did you really just play the Bažant/Verdure card?

Their paper has been ripped to shreds many times over by other engineers, architects and demolition experts. It’s overly simplified and based on a fundamentally incorrect collapse progression model.

In other words, bogus.

But I welcome any more “proof” you have that it’s scientifically possible.

145. damnsureis says: May 3, 2011 1:43 PM

mattyc said:

“It is unfortunate…. But Mendenhall is right!

I believe that to be 2 million % true.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really? Who did you vote for in the 2001 presidential election?

146. cylondetector says: May 3, 2011 1:44 PM

Deb,

I find it laughable that you accuse the ‘conspiracy theorists’ of lacking even cursory research.

Where do you think they got the theories from?

At the very worst, a cursory piece of research in alternative theories other than the one being peddled by the Govt.

In all reality it should be obvious to you that those who are least likely to have done ‘even cursory research’ are those who bought the whole Govt fabrication lock stock and barrel.

They believed what the media pumped down their throats and certainly didn’t look any further.

Deep down they know they have no idea what they are parroting – this is what makes them angry and defensive.

147. kindbass says: May 3, 2011 1:46 PM

I think if Bin Laden were still alive, he would have taken the 5 minutes to make a YouTube video…

“I’m not quite dead yet!”

148. philtration says: May 3, 2011 1:49 PM

The saddest part is there are millions of people in this country that are just as dumb as Mendenhall and they are all allowed to vote.

149. centexhorn says: May 3, 2011 1:49 PM

9/11 was perpetrated by the military-industrial complex, not some science-hating brown people half-way around the world. I became a Rashard Mendenhall fan today.

150. spartyfi says: May 3, 2011 1:53 PM

@giablommi says: May 3, 2011 1:03 PM

“So what is the conspiracy here?
    —————————————————
    I have a buddy that believes this cookoo stuff and he showed me one of their propaganda videos and in it they show one of the planes and it looks like there is something attached to the bottom of it. If you try hard enough, you can make anything a conspiracy.

151. jamie54 says: May 3, 2011 1:57 PM

Thank you so much steeelfann, very nice. You had the time to write it out exactly as it should have been. If Mendenhall, and the others of their ilk, who feel our government had a hand in the murder of thousands of their own people, my guess is they hate this government, hate living here, and need to leave as soon as possible. He’s got the money, he’s got the means to live anywhere he wants, so why stay in a country led by murderers? Bye, bye.

152. sponsoredbygoogle says: May 3, 2011 2:00 PM

It makes me sick to see all you “patriots” buying into every single piece of propaganda our government/media feeds you– the government has consistently lied and fabricated stories to hide their own corporate agenda.. Wikileaks laid it out there for everyone.. And when i say “our government” — I mean the US goverment that has been taken over by wall street corporate fascism for some time now..

Its just another form of imperialism, create this radical boogy man in the Middle East/Africa — use it to scare your citizens into a controlled police state and create rebels in countries you wish to overthrow — so you can go in there and “humanitarianly” take over.. brilliant

obama didnt even ask congress..

and all you dumb fools are too naive to realize it

the only reason they’re telling us osama is dead now is the 2012 elections.. after hes gets re-elected you just watch anwar al awlaki take hold of the scare tactics..

153. fground says: May 3, 2011 2:01 PM

Hey semperfi24 says – we all want to be proud of ourselves, our family, our country…we want heroes. But don’t be lazy and presume that your leaders are heroes.

Liberating Iraq was never a real goal. Controlling the region was. No sane educated person outside the US ever thought the WMD argument was real. This isn’t post invasion thinking, this was people demonstrating all over the world that the argument was horse bleep.

The US and the CIA created Hussein, and when he did was he was supposed to the US was fine with him. When he didn’t – they took him out.

154. onwisconsin42 says: May 3, 2011 2:03 PM

4evrnyt says:
    May 3, 2011 10:43 AM

_____

There aren’t enough words for me to accurately convey how much I’m in disbelief by the complete and utter ignorance of your remark.

Please, just tell me, how Bin Laden has release audio and video tapes with references to CURRENT EVENTS from his grave six or seven years ago.

[b]How the hell did he release a tape taking credit for the Dec. 2009 failed attempt at blowing up a plane bound for Detroit?[/b]

I understand making a tape to be released in the event of his death, and word is that he has, in fact, done so, but the vast majority of his released tapes have always contained a reference to something very current, to establish the fact that he is still alive and relevant.

Do some of you even understand the implications of proclaiming his death if it’s not legitimate? Do you realize what that would DO to the American government? How can you possibly think that they would risk something like announcing his death when they don’t have concrete proof of it?

The American government doesn’t control bin Laden. There’s nothing that would stop bin Laden from doing whatever necessary to confirm to his followers that the United States was fabricating his death and CLEARLY this hasn’t happened.

Hello, common sense.
    Good to see you again.

155. sakatak says: May 3, 2011 2:04 PM

@joe6606
    You are correct about the fumble, in my opinion his fumble cost the Steelers the Super Bowl. The momentum was in the Steelers favor at that point and the Packers were struggling without Woodson. That fumble turned the momentum back to the Pack and cost the Steelers the game.

156. Steeler's Will says: May 3, 2011 2:12 PM

I wish I could send the PFT Shortbus through my daughter’s facebook and straighten out some of her friends. One youngling actually wrote: “I thought we caught him a few years ago and hung him already?” *facepalm*

157. bingocostello says: May 3, 2011 2:14 PM

Funny, from the authors of the ROONEY Rule….haha lol

158. scoops1 says: May 3, 2011 2:15 PM

Mr. Mendenhall… what you’ve just said … is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in twitter world is now dumber for having listened to you. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

159. blaz0037 says: May 3, 2011 2:32 PM

I find it funny that those who think Bush43 is stupid and can’t even tie his shoes…..

…..also think he pulled off the biggest cover-up in the history of civilization.

Ya can’t have it both ways.

160. beedubyatoo says: May 3, 2011 2:42 PM

Mendenhall’s comments are easy to understand. He had a University of Illinois education

ON WISCONSIN!

161. stanklepoot says: May 3, 2011 2:51 PM

Shouldn’t really be that big of a surprise that at least one football player made a comment like this. There are how many conspiracy theories and conspiracy theory movies about what supposedly really took down the WTC. Obviously there’s a certain percentage of the public that buys into crazy things like that. Given that there’s over 2000 football players from all sorts of backgrounds, I’m not surprised that at least one of them falls into that group. As for the second part, while I did celebrate bin Laden’s death, I can understand how someone would have a problem with the idea of celebrating anyone’s death, regardless of what they might have done to earn it. Again, I don’t agree in this case, but I can understand the view point.

162. alewatcher says: May 3, 2011 2:57 PM

Nevis says: May 3, 2011 12:51 PM

@alewatcher

—-> I actually took the time to look this up before I posted. You’re right that heat and temperature are easily confused, but you are the one who is confused.

—-> I reiterate: It is not necessary to melt the steel. (And the steel could not have melted under these conditions.) At the temperatures likely to occur with thousands of pounds of burning jet fuel, steel will lose at least half it’s strength. The fuel burned long enough to dramatically weaken the steel, causing the collapse.

—-> There was no “core” in the WTC. The building was mainly supported by the exterior beams. Once those gave way, inertia brought the building straight down, demolition style.

You actually have no idea what you’re talking about, and continue to prove it. I bet you also deny that we landed on the Moon.

163. phillyahole says: May 3, 2011 2:59 PM

If I’m Rashard’s publicist this is what I’d say, “What Rashard meant to say is that Sheik Muhammad was the true mastermind behind 9/11 and that he believes there were explosives planted by Al Qaeda in the parking garage that helped bring down the towers.

164. coolzog says: May 3, 2011 3:06 PM

I’m guessing that Mendenhall didn’t study structural engineering at Illinois.

165. Deb says: May 3, 2011 3:14 PM

@cylondetector …

Go over to the other Mendenhall post and read my response to puregreed. No point posting all that again here. I’ve got plenty of life experience dealing with duplicitous governments and radical guerillas. I don’t take anything on face value and have done plenty of research on 9/11. But real research isn’t about going to conspiracy sites and listening to fools feed each other’s paranoia anymore than it’s about having blind faith in the government. Maturity and discernment. Not seeing a lot of either among the silly conspiracy nonsense being thrown out here.

166. joecoz17 says: May 3, 2011 3:21 PM

He must have watched conspiracy theory with jesse ventura

167. closisgood says: May 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Only the ignorant and naïve would believe everything the government tells them, why do you think so many other countries have fallen victim to dictators and tyrants? They accept what any well spoken man says without question. If you think the US Gov’t has never lied to its people…aka US…then you are, for lack of a better word, dumb.

168. tdotsteel says: May 3, 2011 3:29 PM

Until the US government explains how Building 7, that was not hit by a plane, comes down in the manner of a controlled demolition, there will continue to be conspiarcy theorists and disbelievers.

The single bullet expalantion for JFK is still the official Government response after almost 50 years.

When the sheeple wake up to demand answers and accountability from their elected officials will we receive anywhere close to the truth.

169. Nevis says: May 3, 2011 3:43 PM

@alewatcher

No core?! Have you actually looked at floor plans for the WTC? Of course it had a core, are you really that naive? Are you getting your information from the mistake-ridden joke FEMA report?

And since you clearly have all the answers, please enlighten me as to why Building 7 went down (for the record: FEMA’s report chalked it up with an assumed reasoning and the sham 9/11 Commission didn’t even bother mentioning it in their report).

This is NOT conspiracy theorists who think we didn’t land on the moon; unless you want to include John Kerry, countless professional engineers, physicists, demo experts and other credible sources as all “crazy lunatics”. I could take the same cheap shot and say, “you’re one of those people who believe in an imaginary man in the sky made all of us, aren’t you?”, but that would be irrelevant.

And for the record — I’m not asking anyone to think 9/11 was an inside job, because I myself don’t think that. But the evidence of ther ebeing more to the story is absolutely undeniable and it’s pretty disturbing that people are still so quick to defend the sham that is the “official story”.

170. thefiesty1 says: May 3, 2011 4:00 PM

There is another idiot born every minute. Mendenhall is just saying how stupid he really is. Rooney should release him immediately for conduct detrimental t o the team and to the fans and citizens of the United States.

171. rickmirer says: May 3, 2011 4:37 PM

Profootballwalk

“I believe the CIA has been collecting my odd socks for years.”

172. semperfi24 says: May 4, 2011 8:36 AM

I finally figured it out, “Dont believe everything your government tells you”, translates into “Dont believe what republicans tell you”….

173. golonger says: May 4, 2011 11:52 AM

LOL……it is amazing how many ignorant people there are in this world. Numerous (unbiased) engineers have proven what happened at the trade center happened legitimately..and in great detail ..end of story. But, some people just want to ignore the facts and believe something incredulous. There are some people that believe we never went to the moon…and that cars don’t really exist…and that the earth IS really flat. People are unbelievably stupid!

174. pigeonpea says: May 4, 2011 5:42 PM

mattyc says:

First of all, 2001 was not an election year. 2000 was. Dubya was just beginning his first term as President when the attacks occured.

Second of all, the video of Dubya’s reaction in the classroom upon hearing the news of the attacks is well entrenched in the public domain. His facial reaction cannot be interpreted as anything short of pure shock. If the guy could realistically act on that level, he wouldn’t have come across as a complete buffoon for the entire eight years of his Presidency. In fact, I suspect he would have had a very lucrative career in Hollywood, and would now be in possession of multiple Academy Awards.

Just because you hate the guy does not automatically make him the Grand Poobah of every half-brained conspiracy theory you can dream up. Seriously…

175. golonger says: May 4, 2011 6:52 PM

nice job pigeonpea……i agree. Saying Bush was behind it is giving him WAY too much credit (as well as being totally ridulous and absurd)

but some of these people dont want facts to get in the way of a good “story”

176. maddog111 says: May 5, 2011 12:08 PM

Here’s what I don’t get. They tried to blow up the building from underneath using explosives in 93. Obviously it didn’t work.

The theory now is that they planted explosives into each tower in 2001, and detonated them after the planes crashed into the buildings, and that detonation, not the burning jet fuel is what brought the towers down.

So my question is, why bother with the planes? Why not just flip a switch, blow both buildings to the ground, and celebrate a blow dealt to the Great Satan? What did the planes add? And what are the chances of inexperienced pilots hitting the both buildings in the exact spot necessary to make it look like it was the planes taht brought them down?

177. houndog50 says: May 6, 2011 12:37 PM

maddog111, the ‘bomb in the basement’ theory does NOT work from a structural engineering standpoint, it is incorrect!!! Anyone who has seen the tape sees the buildings “pancake” from the top down almost perfectly vertical. It would have taken an extremely sophisticated series of rather large and strategically placed demolition blasts (and a lot of equipment, time and people) to accomplish this. It just doesn’t fly any more than Retard Mendenhall himself. He obviously flunked “watching TV 101″. The Steelers should kiss him goodbye just like Champion did. He’s an idiot!

178. houndog50 says: May 6, 2011 12:40 PM

And Oh, by the way, that’s the second time Mendenhall has dropped the ball this year!!!!!!!!!
    Both times with serious consequences. LOL