Tony Romo back to work on his golf game

Philadelphia Eagles v Dallas Cowboys - Wild Card Round Getty Images

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is back on the golf course, with a big event coming next week, and potentially a much bigger event coming next month.

On May 9, Romo will hit the links for a preliminary round, the first step toward his dream of qualifying for this year’s U.S. Open, which takes place June 16-19.

Romo is an avid golfer (too avid, in the view of some fans who think he should make football his sole athletic focus) who has long discussed his passion for the game and his goal of playing in the U.S. Open. Last year Romo played well in the early qualifying rounds before dropping out because a weather delay led to a conflict between golf and the Cowboys’ organized team activities.

As long as the lockout is going on, Romo won’t have to worry about his real job getting in the way of golf. He may be one player who’s hoping the lockout will last another couple months.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Tony Romo back to work on his golf game”
  1. dccowboy says: May 3, 2011 11:50 AM

LOL, troll much?

2. mick730 says: May 3, 2011 11:52 AM

So much for the “irreperable harm” arguement.

3. beckzhere says: May 3, 2011 11:54 AM

I can only assume that he’s more talented at golf.

4. lacharger2112 says: May 3, 2011 11:55 AM

6-10 and he’s practicing his golf?
    The US open and a Superbowl. Two things Romo will never win!

5. joerevs300 says: May 3, 2011 11:55 AM

Even though I’m a Steelers fan, I had a chance to meet Tony last year and he signed my Air Force hat. He was incredibly gracious, as were other Cowboys there (namely Terrance Newman, who talked to me about the NFL for 10 minutes!)

I wish him all the best, that US Open qualifier is no joke LOL I’d love to try someday but I’ve got a ways to go (I was a 6 in high school but I’m more like a 16 now ;)

6. narutofan10 says: May 3, 2011 11:57 AM

i love how PFT works they post this just to make someone i negative light like it equates to the steelers running back’s comments LMAO

7. nyctexan says: May 3, 2011 11:57 AM

Go for it Tony.

…And now take it away haters!

8. nabz034 says: May 3, 2011 12:00 PM

How is this guy even an NFL QB? Dallas should have drafted Ryan Mallet, sat him for a year and then had a real QB instead of this clown.

Dallas will never win a SB.

The only thing sadder then watching Romo play QB is watching Jerry Jones grow old. I Hope he lives forever.

9. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 3, 2011 12:01 PM

The Cowboys will not sniff the Super Bowl with this guy as their QB. Golf and Mexico is more important to him than football championships.

But Jerry isn’t worried about championships. He is more concerned with entertainment. Selling out his circus stadium even at the risk of harm to fans, whoring his palace out to boxing, and bowling events is higher on his priority list that suceeding on the field.

Raping his fans for $50,000-$100,000 PSL fees are more important than finding a true leader at QB. But to his credit, if I had ignorant customers that would pay me that kind of money just for the RIGHT to then further spend even more money on tickets, I would do the same thing.

Hell with championships when you have a chimpanzee fan base that is easy to placate and even easier to rip off.

10. dccowboy says: May 3, 2011 12:06 PM

nabz034 says: May 3, 2011 12:00 PM

Dallas will never win a SB.

=========================

Umm, they already have — 5 to be exact.

The statement would be more correct if you were to say something like, “The Eagles will never win a SB.”

Perhaps you meant something more like, “Dallas will never win a SB while TR is QB”?

11. narutofan10 says: May 3, 2011 12:06 PM

man so much hateful trolls trying to predict the future don’t strain yourselves LMAO

12. sneaky1632 says: May 3, 2011 12:07 PM

Hey, at lease he does something well.

13. citizenstrange says: May 3, 2011 12:07 PM

Romo arigato, Mr. Roboto,
    Romo, Romo

14. whiteboy11 says: May 3, 2011 12:08 PM

this is why we should trade this clown and draft another QB……..

15. crimhollingsworth says: May 3, 2011 12:08 PM

Drew Brees is running OTA’s with 40 of his Saints teammates. Tony Romo introduced Dez Bryant to Chace Crawford.

16. jw731 says: May 3, 2011 12:18 PM

Alot of people consider golf a hobby, or a way to relieve or induce stress (depending on your handicap), the fact that Romo, who has accomplished nothing in the NFL, considers his golf game as important as his real job, says volumes…. But the minions that are blinded by the blue star will find excuses to justify…….

17. canadianvikingfaniii says: May 3, 2011 12:19 PM

Jerry Jones better start looking for a replacement QB seeing as this one would rather accept one playoff win and call it a career. Seriously, this guy should be starting early to improve himself and get in practice time with the other players.

18. bigdicebuddha says: May 3, 2011 12:21 PM

Meanwhile, Eli Manning and his recievers worked all morning running routes at Hoboken High School:

19. kingjoe1 says: May 3, 2011 12:24 PM

“knock it in the hole Romo, knock it in the hole”

20. gdeli says: May 3, 2011 12:25 PM

romo just can’t cut it. brees is working on his team.

21. pacificamjr says: May 3, 2011 12:27 PM

meanwhile, kitna breaks down film on the cowgirls opponents this year.

romo sucks, but the cowgirls are a silly organization so he will start for sure.

22. clintonportisheadd says: May 3, 2011 12:33 PM

Between his addictions to golf and celebrity skirt chasing it’s a wonder he has time for football.

23. melonnhead says: May 3, 2011 12:43 PM

Drew Brees is running OTA’s with 40 of his Saints teammates.

—————————————————-

Yeah well last time they played, Romo threw for 312 yards and beat the Saints in the Welfaredome 24-17.

Hard to believe that a guy with a 95.5 career passer rating and a .639 record as a starting NFL QB playing mostly with shleps like Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams at WR is characterized as a chump here.

24. baronvonmonocle says: May 3, 2011 1:14 PM

jw731 says:
    May 3, 2011 12:18 PM
    “the fact that Romo, who has accomplished nothing in the NFL, considers his golf game as important as his real job”

I don’t recall him ever saying anything close to that. You wouldn’t just be pulling that out of your ass, would you? Of course you would.

The fact that he abandoned a previous attempt to qualify because it conflicted with his real job shows that you’re full of crap.

25. cwt123 says: May 3, 2011 1:18 PM

Coming from a life-long Cowboy fan who always liked Tony Romo, I think I can speak for most of us (Cowboy fans.) I am sick and tired of hearing about Romo playing golf. HOW ABOUT ORGANIZING FOOTBALL PRACTICE to…you know…..PRACTICE FOOTBALL!

Isn’t it this game and it’s fans that allow you the lifestyle of playing golf instead of working like the rest of us in this country!

Win me a Super Bowl, then chase a little white ball around all you want.

26. romoscollarbone says: May 3, 2011 1:30 PM

Envy is one of those 7 deadly sins, there MDS.

The Cowboys did some player workouts last week, it was reported on, wait for it………PFT!

Guy is a good golfer, sorta how Deion, could play football and baseball in the same season.

It’s not his fault, his FB was clueless and got him destroyed, it’s not his fault Crayton dropped a sure-fire first down in 07 vs the Gints.

I’m a diehard CBoy fan, and I could careless if Tony wants to golf. I watched video of him trying to get back onto the field with a broken collarbone, so please don’t question his desire to win. Maybe the cowboy players in speaking with their lawyers have figured out, practicing without a CBA isn’t wise considering, if someone gets hurt they are up a creek.

27. melonnhead says: May 3, 2011 1:30 PM

meanwhile, kitna breaks down film on the cowgirls opponents this year.

—————————————————

I bet you would start Kitna, wouldn’t you?

28. clintonportisheadd says: May 3, 2011 1:33 PM

melonnhead says: May 3, 2011 12:43 PM

==================

“I never said I wasn’t a chump. I just said that wasn’t my name.”—Tony Romo

29. Deb says: May 3, 2011 1:38 PM

Good for him!!! Best wishes from another Steeler fan. Thought this was a rare feel-good story last off-season. Was a time when I’d have said “Focus on football” :mad: But after what we went through last off-season, a QB could find worse ways to spend his free time than developing his discipline and concentration in another sport. Jerome Bettis became a champion bowler in his free time, and it didn’t hurt his football career. I’m sure dancing isn’t doing Hines any harm either.

Will be first to admit, golf is excruciatingly boring to me, but I recognize it’s a difficult game and wish Tony good luck.

30. gasolinejt says: May 3, 2011 1:39 PM

I love how everyone has labeled Tony Romo a loser, but someone like Matt Ryan, who has been absolutely awful in the playoffs is the next Peyton Manning.

31. tonyt33 says: May 3, 2011 1:42 PM

The majority of professional athletes, in particular NFL QBs, play golf. It’s not his fault he just happens to be better at it then the rest of them.

32. boysroll says: May 3, 2011 1:47 PM

i agree with alot the pro boys fans. alot of haters and they are just jealous Tony Romo is a stud athlete in many sports and is hooking up some beautiful women.

I guess it comes with being one of the all time great organizations in any sports.

Continue on HTRS!!! LMAO.

33. kevinfromphilly says: May 3, 2011 2:14 PM

You’re right – hating on Romo is a waste of time. Laughing at Cowboys fans, on the other hand, is always a worthwhile pursuit.

34. stonedwhitetrash says: May 3, 2011 2:23 PM

Tony who where what?

35. schmitty2 says: May 3, 2011 2:39 PM

Deb says:
    May 3, 2011 1:38 PM
    Good for him!!! Best wishes from another Steeler fan. Thought this was a rare feel-good story last off-season. Was a time when I’d have said “Focus on football” But after what we went through last off-season, a QB could find worse ways to spend his free time than developing his discipline and concentration in another sport. Jerome Bettis became a champion bowler in his free time, and it didn’t hurt his football career. I’m sure dancing isn’t doing Hines any harm either.

Deb, you are the model of diplomacy. What you really meant was “Hey Romo..you play QB for the team with the biggest fanbase. your team went 6-10 last year while you missed most of the season with a broken collarbone. While 2 Superbowl winning QB’s are organizing workouts (Brees and Eli) you are out playing golf!”

36. borg30 says: May 3, 2011 2:40 PM

girlsroll wrote:

Great athlete???
    child please, perhaps “Great Choker”.
    Great Organization????
    Laughable!!!!!!!!!!!

37. seabreezes51 says: May 3, 2011 3:17 PM

I’m an Eagles fan, I love it that Tony Romo plays a lot of golf.
    Don’t get me wrong, I want him to be pretty much OK as a QB. Good enough to keep the Cowboys from upgrading.

38. oumoonunit says: May 3, 2011 3:17 PM

If he ever wins a Superbowl (I’m not saying he will), they will be using this as an example of his burning competitive desire. Having a HOBBY that you are almost as good in as a professional is not a bad thing. Dancing with the stars is a bigger distraction than golf, and it keeps players out of OTA’s every year. Partying at strip clubs at 3 in the morning is a bigger distraction than golf. Some players charitable organizations are a bigger distraction than golf (please don’t stop). It is a joke to get on to Romo for playing golf.

The Cowboys have also been working out together all off season; they just aren’t talking to the media about it. Every team is! Just b/c he is golfing is not proof he is not working out with his football team. The only pro golf tournament he plays at is in Dallas, b/c he can still work out with his team and play.

I will laugh when he gets his pro card but doesn’t play b/c it interferes with his pro football career. I hope he can manage a pro golf career after football.

39. bucforever says: May 3, 2011 3:39 PM

Forget Romo, forget the Cowboys. The new America’s team is Seal Team Six. In and out clean in 40 minutes! Wow what a play!

40. kevpft says: May 3, 2011 3:39 PM

Good for him, from a personal standpoint.

Though is there any question that this is his last year to prove something as an NFL QB before the armor falls off? Anything short of a playoff win this year seems to point to taking a high-level QB in the draft next year.

Solid coaches, solid most everywhere else except the secondary, tough but winnable division. No more excuses, Cowboys. This is it.

41. squabguy says: May 3, 2011 4:13 PM

bled blue for life. I’ve waited and waited for our QB to show something more than a casual enjoyment of the game. Just m.o. but while some players look at this time as “never had so much free time” others are getting their teams as ready as possible for when the lock-out ends. Sure, some think don’t worry about it (check the Dolphins inability to hand out playbooks to their players in the short 1-day window all other teams were able to do so in) while others are planning on making the most out of it and being ready for all scenarios.

Romo focusses on golf. his ‘dream’ would be to qualify for one of these big golf-tourneys. All due respect to the sport of golf, and I understand how difficult it would be for the best of athletes to do well in two sports let alone one. But we wear his football jersey, not his golf shirt.

Some qb’s that have been there, you know, to their ‘dream’ as in a Super Bowl, are being reported as having gathered many players and led practice sessions. Saints aren’t the only team doing so. No doubt they know what it took to get their in hind-sight, and they are going for it again.

And we root for our QB on the golf course.

Sure, he may “not need it” since it is the same offense (ah-hum, so is the Saints). But didn’t he miss about half of Dez’s work and timing opportunities last year? Tell me there isn’t benefit there.

No way I’m watching my QB on the Golf Channel. Great channel, but humiliating as a Cowboy fan that wants to really believe we have the right, ah-hum … leader.

42. kyedh3 says: May 3, 2011 4:24 PM

All you Romo haters got your undies in a bunch. Relax! Romo has already had team OTA’s! They just didn’t tell you about it so you could gripe! It makes people read this tripe and gripe. We have talent. We now have coaches. Just ride it out and see what happens and quit speaking all the negatives. In other words: LET IT GO! (or find another team cuz Romo ain’t goin’ anywhere in case you missed the memo – we did not draft a qb).

43. kyedh3 says: May 3, 2011 4:49 PM

Forgot to say “GOOD LUCK TONY!” Hope you make it this year.

44. kyedh3 says: May 3, 2011 5:07 PM

oumoonunit – I love what you had to say and I couldn’t have said it better myself. If I was Tony, I’d quit football just because of the stupid naysayer fans who cannot understand that: 1) Tony is a leader, 2) It is a team game and the team has suffered at crucial points in Tony’s career, 3) Team Wade was wading into deeper waters than he was prepared to deal with as a coach. It literally was the same scenario as with Jimmy/Barry, with the twist of not having been to the SB under Parcells, we were never going to get there under Captain Cupcake. We still had Aiman, Irvin, Smith under Switzer and we could only win 1 SB? That speaks to coaching and defense. Same problems with Wade. Does no one else get that?

45. Deb says: May 3, 2011 5:07 PM

@schmitty2 …

Don’t you go putting words in my mouth, you naughty thing! Meant just what I said. :)

Other Cowboys can organize workouts. Romo’s not among the top tier of QBs, but he’s better than half the league, and whatever caused the ‘boys’ meltdown last year, it wasn’t him. He’s one of the few on the team who was performing well until his injury.

46. scra22 says: May 3, 2011 5:41 PM

melonnhead says:
    May 3, 2011 12:43 PM
    ====

Yeah, and then a month later the Cowboys lost to the Vikings 34-3 and the Saints won the Super Bowl. Congrats.

I understand that Romo has been a solid QB, but until he can get through a postseason without some kind of epic collapse, he will garner criticism.

47. fordraptorforum says: May 3, 2011 5:53 PM

If I had a wet paper towel for an offensive line I’d rather be playing golf too. Those guys are busy with their “Free Reign” band yet nobody is knocking them when it’s THEIR fault Romo got slaughtered, not Tony’s. (I’m NOT a Cowboys or Romo fan FWIW, just call it like I see it)

48. 1bigtex says: May 3, 2011 8:03 PM

Okay, so what do you think the Cowboys were doing today while a bunch of you were ragging on Tony Romo for wanting to be a good golfer? Any guesses? How about going through a full team workout organized by Jason Witten, Demarcus Ware, and wait for it….. Tony Romo.

Yes Tony Romo is a good golfer (somewhere between scratch and a 2 handicap). And he likes to compete in the off season. I can’t quite figure out how a guy playing golf in his spare time is a horrible deal. Can’t say that it has ever looked as if Romo put golf first. It just so happens that he’s good at it.

49. narutofan10 says: May 3, 2011 8:10 PM

i wonder if they know that tony romo did organize the players for practices in fact they did one too and 40 players showed up…maybe PFT should learn on how not to jump the gun

50. manofaiki says: May 3, 2011 10:58 PM

Tony Romo is holding player workouts AND playing excellent golf.

Top that, Brees.