Cardinals G.M. on quarterback situation: “We are going to be aggressive”

Arizona Cardinals Introduce Patrick Peterson Getty Images

The post-draft comments from the Cardinals on their quarterback situation won’t quiet any of the Kevin Kolb-to-Arizona speculation running rampant these days.

“With respect to the quarterback question, which continually arises, we’ve decided as an organization that we are going to be aggressive,” G.M. Rod Graves said. “We are expecting at some point, or believing, that we will have a free agency period, an opportunity to discuss trades, and we are looking at those avenues.”

The Cardinals weren’t in love with the rookie crop of quarterbacks available to them with the No. 5 pick.  But that doesn’t make coach Ken Whisenhunt any more comfortable with the quarterbacks on his roster.  He wouldn’t say if he was comfortable with John Skelton as a starter or backup.

“After you go 5-11, I’m not comfortable with anybody we had playing that position,” Whisenhunt said via AZCardinals.com.   “You have to weigh your opportunities in the draft against other opportunities. It’s a complete process. It’s not an isolated process.”

Translation: If the Cardinals aren’t going after Kolb, they have another well defined plan to fill the position in 2011.  And it’s not starting Skelton.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Cardinals G.M. on quarterback situation: “We are going to be aggressive””
  1. halasfan says: May 4, 2011 10:24 AM

I’m thinking Farve. It was too cold in MN so maybe if he went to a place were they play golf year round he can do it…

2. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 10:28 AM

Will this LOCKOUT please end. Trades! Free Agency! OTA’s! Mini camp!

Damn I hate this s@#$

3. revooc48 says: May 4, 2011 10:34 AM

Maybe they will sign Kolb and sign Mcnabb to be backup lol

4. xinellum says: May 4, 2011 10:39 AM

What is the fine for tampering or contacting outside the time period or whatever you want to call picking up the phone and talking to Kolb and Bugler today about being Arizona’s qb. I can’t imagine the fine to be anywhere near what it would cost the Cardinals to be without either of these two guys. I wouldn’t even bother to hide the fact I was cheating and contacting these guys. My team needs it, I will pay the fine, I will pay their overblown salary next year because that is how bad our team needs a quarterback. I mean, lets just be honest about this…

5. universalcynic says: May 4, 2011 10:40 AM

I’m sure this has Skelton, seeing red.

6. kspl1 says: May 4, 2011 10:46 AM

My god, I’m an eagles fan, I can’t believe that a backup gets this much respect for one good game. If he was so great he would have beat someone out or a spot by now. Fitzgerald is gonna be sorry he asked for him. Kiln may not even beat out Derek Anderson or Skelton

7. Nevis says: May 4, 2011 10:47 AM

Kevin Kolb and Alex Smith are the same thing.

8. richm2256 says: May 4, 2011 10:52 AM

By “aggressive”, he means they are going to kidnap Tom Brady, right?

9. seabreezes51 says: May 4, 2011 11:09 AM

Peterson for Kolb
    AZ wins the West

10. gtmann says: May 4, 2011 11:14 AM

The Eagles would be crazy to trade Kolb . We own him cheap (1.4 mil) . And with Vick’s style of play he is bound to get hurt . Plus I saw him regressing to his old Atlanta self late in the season .That pick to close the GB game was just STUPID ! It was 1st down , 33 sec on the clock , and he had Macklin wide open down the middle !!! When Vick goes down , or goes into meltdown , do you really want to hand the keys to Kafka who has NEVER taken a snap in a regular season game ?!!!

11. jpmcgee says: May 4, 2011 11:16 AM

Carson Palmer for Beanie Wells and AZ’s 2012 1st rounder. Do it, Mike Brown!

12. manderson367 says: May 4, 2011 11:20 AM

I don’t think there is anything preventing clubs from discussing trades. They just can’t actually make trades right now.

13. mick730 says: May 4, 2011 11:20 AM

I think the only game I’ve ever seen Kolb play was the opener last year against Green Bay. He didn’t do much to impress me.

14. tblitz25 says: May 4, 2011 11:21 AM

AZ is one of the cheaper franchise that really isn’t all that committed to winning. They would rather let good players leave than pay them and it’s the reason why they make it to the playoff once a decade and live drafting in the top 10. I don’t expect for them to go after Kolb. I think they will go cheap like they usually do and go for Bulger.

15. TurdSandwich says: May 4, 2011 11:29 AM

Why are they still called The Cardinals? That name is St Louis through and through.. Not to mention there is a plethora of cool “desert” type critters out that way. Arizona Gila Monsters!

16. geo1113 says: May 4, 2011 11:33 AM

mick730 says:
    May 4, 2011 11:20 AM
    _______________________

I think the only comment I have ever read from you is this one. You didn’t do much to impress me.

17. lucky5934 says: May 4, 2011 11:43 AM

There is no “tampering” because no one can contact the players or their agents. What you are seeing is a result of the owners playing G.M. when at the meetings and negotiations. Same thing basically, just without the label (and the punishment that would ensue).

18. mike106 says: May 4, 2011 11:50 AM

who cares…. SAINTS will win the superbowl!!!!

19. kissbillsrings says: May 4, 2011 12:05 PM

I gotta confess, I’ve watched kolb & haven’t really been impressed with him at all….looks soft to me…don’t see a real competative spirit of fire inside of him…I’m surprised they didn’t take Mallett in the 2nd or 3rd round…guy has an arm!!!

20. phillycheez says: May 4, 2011 12:17 PM

Mallett = Leaf

21. krow101 says: May 4, 2011 12:22 PM

A fool and his draft picks are soon parted.

22. geo1113 says: May 4, 2011 12:28 PM

______________________

Say what you want about Kolb and what he may do as a QB,m but I have not heard anyone who has been around him question his competitiveness.

As for Mallett, he may have an arm, but he has a 2 cent head to go with it.

23. nineroutsider says: May 4, 2011 12:30 PM

Kolb = Jay Feely

Remember him? Philly is good at this game, selling fools gold to desperate, QB deprived teams.

Gameplan for beating AZ…score 10 points and do it without throwing.

24. thingamajig says: May 4, 2011 12:42 PM

Last week I read here that the Cards had an agreement “wink wink” with Marc Bulger so there’s no way I believe they’re looking at Kolb.

25. dwoofer says: May 4, 2011 1:21 PM

There are two possibilities for packaging a player along with draft picks in exchange for Kolb:

1. Beanie Wells, who is a great talent, but who ruffled Whisenhunt’s ego, and has as a result sat on the bench while the Cards’ running game tanked.

2. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, who did not seem to play too hard last season amidst the pathetic offensive display of Max Hall and Derek Anderson.

And now, let’s go Dancing With the Stars!

26. vdaigglesfan says: May 4, 2011 1:51 PM

TurdSandwich says:
    May 4, 2011 11:29 AM
    ********************************************
    “St. Louis though and through” except for the first 20 seasons when they were the Chicago Cardinals.

27. mrfrostyj says: May 4, 2011 1:52 PM

I don’t see the difference between Kolb and Derek Anderson. Derek Anderson looked better in Cleveland then Kolb has in Philly and we see what happened to Derek when he lost the weapons that made him look good. Arizona needs a proven vet like Palmer or McNabb who can make the others around him look good and not the other way around. Kolb would just mean another round of musical QB’s in Arizona.

28. geo1113 says: May 4, 2011 2:01 PM

dwoofer says:
    May 4, 2011 1:21 PM

_______________________

The Eagles have McCoy and for their pass-first offense, he would provide no value. As for DRC, if he didn’t play too hard, why do you want him on your team.

29. arzcardinals says: May 4, 2011 2:40 PM

TurdSandwich – Learn your NFL – They were the CHICAGO CARDINALS well before they were in St. Louis.

geo1113 – there is NO WAY we give up DRC – wake the hell up.
    – Maybe Wells, but unlikely…and if we do give up Wells you’ll be getting a 2nd round pick not a 1st.

Cards management isn’t as dumb as they’ve been in the past.

It’ll be Kolb for our 1st round pick in 2012…NOTHING ELSE

If the Eagles get greedy – they’ll go after Bulger or Matt H, keep the 1st round pick and be fine.

We understand (as season ticket holders) that it’s not Kolb or bust….Cards have options with Bulger, Matt H, McNabb, Kolb and Carson Palmer.

P.S. We loved kicking your ass in the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!!!

30. jaughe71 says: May 4, 2011 3:06 PM

mrfrostyj says:
    May 4, 2011 1:52 PM
    I don’t see the difference between Kolb and Derek Anderson
    ______________________________

Kolb will throw picks because he doesn’t see defensive backs. Anderson thinks he can either throw the ball hard enough to knock the defensive back down or fast enough that they won’t see it.

31. ranger40 says: May 4, 2011 7:39 PM

Can’t wait for the Eagles to lose Kolb next year for nothing. They were looking for the world, and now Andy Reid is so desperate to trade him, he goes on radio hyping his boy up as a championship QB. When is the last time a team traded a young championship quality QB? Inside their own conference nonetheless? Kolb is a BIG question mark and the rest of the NFL has taken notice. Reid and the Eagles are more concerned now that the draft is over and teams they thought would be interested in Kolb drafted their QB of the future. He will most likely get his shot, but not for the price the Eagles had hoped for.

32. frankdatank23 says: May 5, 2011 4:03 PM

Any team that Trades for Kolb essentially taps out of the match for top pick = Luck.

Just sayin.

33. vegasbronco says: May 5, 2011 4:48 PM

And the starting QB for the Cardinals for 2011 is Kyle Orton.