Dez doesn’t show for Cowboys workout

Detroit Lions v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

Quarterback Tony Romo says that roughly 40 Cowboys players showed up to work out together on Tuesday.

“The guys know how important it is to be in football shape and ready to go when the lockout ends,” Romo said.

Apparently, not all of the guys.

According to Matt Mosley of ESPN 103.3 in Dallas (via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com), the 40 didn’t include receiver Dez Bryant.

It’s not a huge surprise.  After all, Bryant failed to show up at the team facility last week during the brief respite from the lockout, even though owner Jerry Jones expected to meet with him and trainers hoped to inspect the ankle Bryant broke during his rookie season.

Still, Bryant’s teammates met with him recently, in an apparent effort to coerce some sense into him.  By all appearances, it didn’t work.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Dez doesn’t show for Cowboys workout”
  1. smellmyface says: May 4, 2011 7:06 AM

Why should he come. The media and turd fans already have them in the SB again this year.

And for girlsroll… LMAO

2. chapnastier says: May 4, 2011 7:14 AM

@ smellmyface

What media and fans do you speak of? I am a Cowboy fan and I think they botched the draft terribly and will be worse than they were last year. So I guess that either makes you wrong or me an exception of your turd idea.

3. ninjaneer74 says: May 4, 2011 7:19 AM

This site just cant help itself. After reporting about Romo’s golf thing yesterday, they set the team up for more bashing, even though the news was already out that they are doing organized practices as well.
    So now you guys report that they are practicing and have to use this as the headline? LMAO…haters are just gonna hate…Thats what it izzzzzz……

4. gypjet says: May 4, 2011 7:20 AM

Mr Dez,

5. ninjaneer74 says: May 4, 2011 7:21 AM

BTW ever think that Dez isnt medically cleared to practice yet? Yeah I didnt think so. That would be RESPONSIBLE reporting…

6. usdiveteam says: May 4, 2011 7:22 AM

mmmmm lets think about this….
    The story says he did not show up to a practice, but it also says he has a bad ankle…

I like how we jump on the players when they say something stupid!

7. berniemadoffsides says: May 4, 2011 7:26 AM

Keep it up, Dez.

Love,
    The Giants

8. gpete1962 says: May 4, 2011 7:26 AM

Dez couldn’t make it because he O G’d ( overdose of gold)

9. seabreezes51 says: May 4, 2011 7:38 AM

He was golfin’

10. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 7:39 AM

Could it be that his surgically repaired ankle is still jacked up? Tomorrow will be 5 months since the injury. Eh what does it matter anyway, Romo only plays golf in the off-season, remember?

11. hebephrenic says: May 4, 2011 7:40 AM

Is there a person, on this planet, that is surprised by this? Water is wet.

12. duanethomas says: May 4, 2011 7:41 AM

Par for the course, now let’s get the comment from his clueless adviser on why he doesn’t know why Dez didn’t show up. Once again check the mall………………

How bout dem Cowboys!?!

6-10 in 2011….LoL.

13. jedicookie says: May 4, 2011 7:46 AM

It amazes me when someone with a tremendous wealth of talent fails to see the big picture.

Call me a hater or whatever but who really didn’t see this guy as a character liabililty from the beginning?

Pull up your pants you’re a big boy now. Pay for your ridiculous jewelry and get your overpaid ass ready to play football.

14. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: May 4, 2011 7:55 AM

I’m just glad to see that ‘chapnasty’ and ‘boysroll’ are ok. Throughout all last season they were AWOL and I was concerned about them.

15. jw731 says: May 4, 2011 8:15 AM

He already got “paid”. No reason to act like a

16. mightymightylafootball says: May 4, 2011 8:17 AM

‘Boys didn’t get a chance to draft JaWalrus, but they’ve done well making up for it by drafting Dizzy Dez.

Roll on, ‘Boys, roll on…

17. bobbyhoying says: May 4, 2011 8:25 AM

I think Dez spent his time walking through the mall with his pants falling down, listening to rap. Why practice when he doesn’t need it and there’s no money for doing it?

18. medialovesthecowboys says: May 4, 2011 8:29 AM

@smellmyface

Like chapnastier I’m a huge Cowboy fan. Any real Cowboy fan will tell you, they botched the draft, they didn’t address arguably the biggest need in the secondary, and at this point there’s absolutely no evidence to suggest they will be better in 2011 than they were in 2010. No one has them in the SB, least of all the fans. Your little comment “smells” like jealousy to me.

19. mad55555 says: May 4, 2011 8:39 AM

I guess the cowpatties should have picked up Jeremy Maclin in the draft when they sucked. Oh wait…

20. clintonportisheadd says: May 4, 2011 8:40 AM

medialovesthecowboys says: May 4, 2011 8:29 AM

Like chapnastier I’m a huge Cowboy fan…

===================

My sympathies to you both. I could never root for a team owned by that clown Jerry Jones.

As far as Bryant goes, there was a sale yesterday at Kay Jewelers on gold chains. Thats a no brainer choice for Dez…

21. dequan81 says: May 4, 2011 8:47 AM

@ medialovesthecowboys, how could you say they botched the draft? It’s wasn’t the sexiest draft, but I wouldn’t go as far to say they botched it. I’m a Cowboys fan, and know plenty of Boys fans and I would guess they wouldn’t agree with your complete statements. SB, doubt it, better than 6-10, YES. Get off the bandwagon dude.

22. chapnastier says: May 4, 2011 8:59 AM

tinkletinkleonyourstar says: May 4, 2011 7:55 AM

——————————————————

I’ve been here going hard my friend. The difference between myself and many Cowboys fans across this country is that I’m here good times or bad! Now if someone could just find Vox…

23. boysroll says: May 4, 2011 9:00 AM

medialovethecowboys–this is a non story. This site loves to bash the cowboys as it is pretty obvious. This kid is going to the next Jerry Rice and all the haters know it. FA opens and we address the safety position with Ryans aggressive defensive schemes are going to kick some A..

When a team is on the cusp of doing great things people are envious….what can i say? 4SKINS LAST PLACE AGAIN…BOOK IT DANO…LMFAO.

24. zone44blitz says: May 4, 2011 9:08 AM

ninjaneer74 says:

———————–

Dez has to be medically cleared. 5 months after surgery and the rehab that he received post-op before the lockout was instituted. I had a similar procedure done, and I was back on my feet and ready to go in 7-8 weeks with run of the mill physical therapy. He gets the best. He’s ready, just lazy.

25. arm57romg says: May 4, 2011 9:09 AM

If you think the Cowboys botched the draft, you are one of two things or both. Not a Cowboys fan or not a football person. They restocked their line at Ot and Og. Arkin will be a big nasty in the nfl and Smith has tons of potential that can’t be overlooked. The draft shows a changing of the guard from flashy risk picks to solid high character picks. You obviously haven’t followed any of the players that were selected by Dallas. Chapas is your classic blocking FB. Ask Romo how important that is. And Bruce Carter will replace Brooking or James by the end of the year. You forget that our DE position is secured by Brent and Ratliff who can play both NT and DE.

So the first person had it right, you are a turd.

26. narutofan10 says: May 4, 2011 9:12 AM

this is hilarious you finally acknowledge the cowboys workout and you still have to find something negative about it PFT you are just hilarious you are media through and through

27. seabreezes51 says: May 4, 2011 9:17 AM

tinkletinkleonyourstar says: May 4, 2011 7:55 AM

This is the time of the season they show their best stuff.
    Once the games start, not so much

28. dequan81 says: May 4, 2011 9:19 AM

clintonportisheadd says:
    May 4, 2011 8:40 AM
    medialovesthecowboys says: May 4, 2011 8:29 AM

Like chapnastier I’m a huge Cowboy fan…

===================

—————————-

@clintonportisheadd so are you a Skins fan? LOL if so you have no grounds to speak on any owner, since yours is the worst in the history of the NFL and all of pro-sports. Keep your sympathies my dude.

29. dolphindad says: May 4, 2011 9:23 AM

….tick…tick…tick…….

30. kingjoe1 says: May 4, 2011 9:26 AM

Dez is the best WR in the NFL period. Even on a bum ankle it was apparent. This guy could go to Aruba for a month and walk into the first game and be the star. The fat lineman need to get in shape, not a chiseled 23 year old. Boys are going all the way this year and the rest of you slubs just need to accept that fact.

31. chc4 says: May 4, 2011 9:27 AM

This guy was a turd at OSU. So he gets millions of dollars in his pocket and he’s still a turd. Did anyone not see this coming?

32. geo1113 says: May 4, 2011 9:34 AM

ninjaneer74 says:
    May 4, 2011 7:21 AM
    ____________________________

What difference does it make if he is medically cleared. Show up and support the players who can practice. It’s called being a team player.

33. chapnastier says: May 4, 2011 9:38 AM

@arm57romg

Allow me to elaborate on my statement. You make a compelling argument but I have to disagree with you. Dallas had the 7th ranked offense last season and one of the worst defenses in the league. While the age on the OL was definitely a concern, the secondary was the biggest problem area. Anyone who watched any Cowboy game could tell you that. Newman is done or at least close to being done. My strategy would have been to go with a DB with the 9th pick because that is the biggest area of concern. While I do agree that the OL was needed, they drafted Sam Young last year and once healthy he could probably step in for Columbo. As far as the ILB position, they picked Sean Lee last year and he actually played well when he was out there.

So basically they addressed some areas in last years draft and took a year to develop them. Basically they did the same thing this year. Unless they make a serious attempt in FA to address the secondary needs none of it will matter. So you can call me a turd or you can ask why I think the draft was a bust.

34. burgado86 says: May 4, 2011 9:42 AM

(yawn)………..AND!?………..Are you going to post when Dez has a paper cut as well?…….what a joke….smh

35. noeffinway says: May 4, 2011 9:50 AM

pants on da ground, pants on da ground…………………….

36. 1bigtex says: May 4, 2011 9:55 AM

Once again, a post that raises questions about the sensetivity level of the site’s owner, gets deleted. Why?

37. 1bigtex says: May 4, 2011 10:03 AM

@zone44bitz

Please enlighten us and tell us which NFL team you play WR for.

The smart thing to do for someone coming off that kind of surgery would be to wait at least until the training staff is onsite.

38. clintonportisheadd says: May 4, 2011 10:10 AM

dequan81 says: May 4, 2011 9:19 AM

@clintonportisheadd so are you a Skins fan?

———————–

Nope. Born and raised in Green Bay makes me a Packer fan. I have never his that fact in my posts. Yet I do agree that Snyder is worse than Jones (if that makes you feel better)

39. Nevis says: May 4, 2011 10:19 AM

Gee, why did he free fall in the first round? Now we know. All talent, no motivation.

40. phillycheez says: May 4, 2011 10:19 AM

arm57romg says:
    May 4, 2011 9:09 AM

So the first person had it right, you are a turd.

- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -

Wow, so you already know that the Cowpies have “hit” on every one of their draft picks and all of their problems are solved. Congratulations on your upcoming championship season.

41. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 10:20 AM

Keep it up, Dez.

Love,
    The Giants

————————————————–

He caught 3 TD passes against the Giants last season.

42. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 10:27 AM

—————————————————–

hahaha but you have no problem at all rooting for the worst owner in the NFL, Dan Snyder!

43. geniusesq says: May 4, 2011 10:29 AM

Don’t worry, the Cowboys can win the offseason championship without him.

44. bucsballer says: May 4, 2011 10:31 AM

And grass is green

45. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 10:34 AM

And I’m suprised, how?

46. weneedlinemen42 says: May 4, 2011 10:55 AM

I am a ‘Skins fan and it would help us immensely if Bryant turned into a bust.

However,let’s be honest, the impact of missing one player organised work-out and the one-day lockout hiatus is unlikely to have much effect on his on field contribution this year.

This kid is an undeniable talent. He looked very good as a rookie and will almost certainly get better. He may well be a turd and a disruptive influence but I am betting his athleticism and skills will outweigh all the negatives by a big margin. Now if we get training camps, and he misses a lot of time then, that will be a story but we’re nowhere near that yet.

Michael Irvin had far bigger problems than this kid and was still worth having on the team. Bryant will be as well.

I am pretty sure I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time with Bryant, but I’d be more than happy to see him Burgandy and Gold. We’ve got an athletic defensive tackle we don’t want if you want to swap. He doesn’t seem to spend a lot of time hanging out in malls, it would probably be better if he did.

47. datschu says: May 4, 2011 11:03 AM

As a lifelong cowboys fan I am completely in agreement with gypjets comment. I want dedicated and disciplined athletes on my football team. Not spoiled prima donnas. To hell with Dez Bryant. Looks lime JJ is reaping what he’s sown!! Yo Dez, start acting like a professional Black athlete and stop acting like a dumb…. Ur bringing our race a bad name! I’d kill to have ur talent. Stop wasting it and grow the hell up already jerk!!

48. datschu says: May 4, 2011 11:11 AM

Oh and by the way as a cowboys fan I can say this….. The draft SUCKED… They passes on a bonafide safety in round two to take a lb who can’t hit, is actually afraid of it, and just came off an acl surgery and won’t even be ready for training camp! Then they took another injury prone RB in the third!! Poor rob Ryan! As long as JJ is in control there will be no SB appearances let alone a title.

49. solomonadams says: May 4, 2011 11:12 AM

@chapnastier – which DB would you have drafted w/ the 9th pick? Pat Peterson was gone and Amukamara (sp?) is wayyyyyy overrated – he lacks a lot of skills necessary to be a complete DB in the league. I am happy with the draft AS LONG AS Jerrah goes after Nnamdi HARD!

50. whatswiththehate says: May 4, 2011 11:30 AM

Wow…PFT really does love to negatively spin a story without any facts to back it up. Even worst are the many who simply treat everything they read as factual. Case in point, this statement: “Mr Dez,
    You are a spoiled child. Every move you make is immature, from missing meetings, to not showing up for your teammates, to wearing your britches down to your knees in public. You might as well prepare to be Jamarcus Russel’s roomate next year. Wasted talent idiot.” completely void of any facts to back up his indignant ranting. And even when the facts were pesented that it wasn’t Dez who was the one with the hanging pants, it’s completely ignored.

Why does it appear as if this is the kind of stuff that is keeping our sports media alive. No longer are we subjected to intelligent reporting. It’s simple-minded, extremely juvernile, believe it cause we say so, type of knee-jerk journalism that is out there now.

Yep, a real sign of maturity on the part of those doing the labeling and judging.

51. chapnastier says: May 4, 2011 11:33 AM

@ soloman

I would have taken Prince. I’m sorry but the dude is going to be shutting down one of our guys for years to come. It might take him a little bit to get acclimated to the NFL but he will be just fine. Now if they go after Nnamdi then I will agree with you that the draft was alright. But until we know that for sure, I am going to lean towards it not playing into it.

52. finsbooyah says: May 4, 2011 11:39 AM

@boysroll…

I really hope you were kidding. Jerry Rice was Jerry Rice because he worked harder than anyone else in the NFL, not because he was the most talented. If anything, Bryant is the anti-Rice.

It’s sad when it becomes apparent that the Dolphins made the right choice in passing on Bryant for Brandon Marshall.

53. crashdog says: May 4, 2011 11:49 AM

I am not surprised. I heard he was going into the family business during the lockout….

54. santolonius says: May 4, 2011 12:37 PM

dez bryant sure appears to be self destructing before our very eyes. even if he has a few good years in the nfl, his arrogance, immaturity and sense of entitlement could very likely lead him to an ugly personal disaster at a young age. dez doesn’t need deion sanders holding his hand… he needs a marine corps drill sergeant screaming in his face.

55. 1bigtex says: May 4, 2011 12:49 PM

@chapnastier

Dude, the draft is about getting value as much as it is about getting position. Drafting for position only makes about as much sense as drafting based solely on the 40 time (not that anyone would ever do that). To put it into perspective, supposed you walked into a cafe to eat. You look at the menu and they have two main courses, both of which are $10. One of the items is a 10 oz. grilled boneless butterfly pork chop. The other item is a USDA choice 20 oz. Porterhouse steak. Which item are you getting? Now me, I’m getting the steak and I really like butterfly pork chops, but the steak is a better value. Chap, Amukamara is the pork chop and Smith is the steak. they’re both good, but Tyron Smith was a better value at #9. There’s a reason that Prince lasted another 10 picks. The fact that Tyron fills an area of need is a bonus.

56. habsman says: May 4, 2011 1:02 PM

You know he has problems when super adviser/mentor/personnal coach/confidant/bff/instructor/trainer/ and all around good guy, “Prime Time” Sanders dropped him.

57. bcdc26 says: May 4, 2011 1:39 PM

That’s it, I’m done with PFT’s non-stories. The only ones they post that have any merit are ripped off of ESPN’s Rumor Central. I’m just gonna cut out the middle man and go straight to the source.

58. 1bigtex says: May 4, 2011 2:40 PM

Okay Mike, there is a report in the Dallas Morning News that Dez Bryant does not (that’s NOT as in no permission) have medical clearance to practice. Odds that PFE (that’s the Pro Football Enquirer) post that story? Probably about the same as the odds of them every posting the story about Jerry Jones writing a check for almost a quarter of a million dollars to a charity a few weeks ago.

Go ahead. Prove me wrong on both counts.

59. burgado86 says: May 4, 2011 4:12 PM

OH WELL WELL WELL! GUESS WHO SHOWS UP ON DAY 2 OF PRIVATE WORKOUTS!?……….DEZ BYRANT…….SHOCKER GUYS!!?? I bet it is to you uptight,pencil pushing,nosey asses of a media crew that you are!….He’s there!, training likes what hes surpose to do anybody got anything else to say about him?…….LOL get off his balls now! : )