Raheem Morris says no decision has been made on Aqib Talib

Raheem Morris, Bob Waggoner AP

Within the past couple weeks, a report emerged that the Bucs cornerback Aqib Talib is “all but gone.”  During a recent appearance on PFT Live, Tampa Bay G.M. Mark Dominik opted not to address the situation.

Coach Raheem Morris has opted not to remain silent.

We have not talked about that,” Morris told WHBO radio today regarding the possibility of cutting Talib.  “That has not taken place.  We will, but that time has not come yet.”

Talib faces charges in Texas arising from allegations that he pistol-whipped his sister’s boyfriend and then fired shots at him.  It’s the latest in a series of incidents involving Talib, who is the kind of highly-talented player for whom excuses often are made.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Raheem Morris says no decision has been made on Aqib Talib”
  1. kusheadpotman says: May 4, 2011 2:55 PM

This is headline news? Really?

2. captainwisdom8888 says: May 4, 2011 2:59 PM

Talib visiting his mom in jail: Hey mama…thanks for taking the fall for me and all. I still lost my job though, happy mother’s day by the way.

3. bamasucks says: May 4, 2011 2:59 PM

they haven’t talked about it yet? what is there to talk about? cut the scumbag. he’s an embarrassment to your franchise. how many chances has this clown had already?

4. citizenstrange says: May 4, 2011 3:00 PM

It’s all just a big misunderstanding.

Talib pistol-Cool Whipped™ his sister’s boyfriend and then fired Jell-O™ shots at him.

5. clintonportisheadd says: May 4, 2011 3:02 PM

“We have not talked about that,” Morris told WHBO radio today regarding the possibility of cutting Talib. “That has not taken place. We will, but that time has not come yet.”

——————

Translation: “When we decide we can win games without him he is SO outta here! But until then we are willing to take the negative publicity.”

6. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 4, 2011 3:08 PM

Tampa Bay’s version of Bonnie and Clyde.

Aquib and Momma Talib.

Stay classy Bucs organization.

7. bucbearpig says: May 4, 2011 3:19 PM

They will talk about it after free agency (if/when that happens). If they can acquire a good corner, he’s outtie

8. schmitty2 says: May 4, 2011 3:25 PM

Releasing Scumbags must not be allowed during the lockout

9. staff2cj4td says: May 4, 2011 3:53 PM

RELEASE HIS AZZ!!!……………… so he can come to Detroit and shut you down week 1!!!!!

10. armchairgm9 says: May 4, 2011 3:54 PM

Don’t see why everyone is making a big deal out of this situation. This is the standard answer for all NFL franchises. “We’re not willing to comment until we know all the facts.” Or, “We’re going to let the legal process play out before we make any kind of a decision.” That’s how all of the teams operate. It’s a non-committal way that all teams deflect the answer until everyone forgets or just doesn’t care anymore. And technically they Bucs can’t release him anyway since all roster moves are frozen.

In short: everyone is bashing the Bucs for not commenting on the situation (like everyone else would) and for hanging on to a guy that they can’t even cut right now.

“Come on, Bucs, release him! Release him! He’s a menace to society! It’s an outrage that he’s even playing football! You have to release him….so my team can sign him!” C’mon man.

11. bamasucks says: May 4, 2011 4:36 PM

was Talib at Radio City Music Hall the year that he was drafted? if so, i’m surprised that he didn’t sucker punch/ pistol whip Goodell. this is the same guy that attacked Cory Boyd at the rookie symposium and then attacked another teammate with his helmet during a practice, right?

yeah, i can totally see why The Bucs and their fans would want to keep him around. total class act.

12. sappsays99 says: May 4, 2011 5:04 PM

I talked directly to Talib just yesterday. His exact words were ” Do not beleive what you have been hearing about me being cut. I have talked to my coaches and I will be playing for the Bucs this season” I really beleived he was going to be cut. I think Aquib is a great person who like many cant get out of his own way. No doubt he is a GREAT talent, But when is enough enough… I wish you the best Aquib and pray that you are right.

13. shorttracknews says: May 4, 2011 5:10 PM

If he was a 7th round pick, practice squad player or didn’t start there would be nothing else to “talk” about. That’s how it is in sports these days. If you’re a star and a turd we keep you. If you’re a marginal player and a turd….see ya

14. JackLeone says: May 4, 2011 5:11 PM

It really doesn’t matter at this point. He’ll still get the money left on his contract, some other team will sign him to a new contract, so he’ll get paid double for his trouble. Move along nothing to see here.

15. odessabucs says: May 4, 2011 5:20 PM

He’ll never play for the Bucs again, but why should they give up his rights w/o letting the legal stuff play out. They don’t have to pay him because he’ll be suspended for awhile. And maybe some team will offer the Bucs value for a scum who’s a shut down corner.

“Al Davis on line one.”

16. cincinnasti says: May 4, 2011 5:50 PM

Welcome to the Cincinnati Bengals Talib..

17. btintampa says: May 4, 2011 6:06 PM

The charge for the grand jury to consider is floating on the web. Read it before shooting your mouth off. If you try to imagine the chain of events as described in the charging document, you can see that it is weak, very weak.

I believe Sappsays99 is right, this is going to blow over. I just hope Aqib is scared straight.

BTW, after he took the trash talk from the official after the Baltimore game, he was more physical in his game. Keep up the trash talkin refs!

Oh, and he will close down megatron on Week One.

18. tyelee says: May 4, 2011 6:11 PM

To me, The Bucs are starting to resemble the Raiders more and more….

Now it is if the Bucs have also decided to,
    “Just WIN Baby!”
    over any kind of morale standard or character qualities….. And some people wonder why the Bucs get NO RESPECT……

19. brasho says: May 4, 2011 7:08 PM

sappsays99 says:
    May 4, 2011 5:04 PM

++++++++++++++++++

So you know Aqib personally and yet you don’t know his name is “Aqib” (Uh-keeb) and not “Aquib”(Uh-kweeb)?

I talked to Elvis yesterday and he confirmed to me that he is indeed dead.

20. k1ngfish1 says: May 4, 2011 7:10 PM

Good to see so many people where in the house,and know exactly what happened.I would hate for anyone to jump to conclusions based on the word of a convicted child molester,and woman beater.

21. lionsmaverick says: May 4, 2011 8:46 PM

I just kindof think it is funny how a writer just used the term “pistol-whipped”.

22. armchairgm9 says: May 4, 2011 9:20 PM

“If he was a 7th round pick, practice squad player….”

Well, duh. Of course he’d be gone. If the intern at your work got arrested for a DUI on the same night as the VP, who do you think gets to keep their job?

It’s called risk vs. reward. I’ll put up with a headcase at the bar if she’s a 10. If she’s a grenade then I’m passing her off to my buddy.

23. sethb222 says: May 4, 2011 10:47 PM

What are all ya’ll talkin bout? he’s a top 5 corner if we can drop him off for a 4,5,6,7 round pick instead of just dropping him that would be smart. (raiders will need a corner) definitely should trying to work them like the pats before just dropping him without player movement allowed. Milk the Cow!

24. psymunsez says: May 5, 2011 1:50 AM

I have a simple question for all of you that say how much of a scumbag he is.

If a man hit your sister, would you do something to him? Honestly.

I must say, I wouldn’t have shot a gun at him, but I would have beat him over the head with something, and likely would have gotten arrested just the same.