Rashard Mendenhall expands on bin Laden comments

Rashard Mendenhall AP

Rashard Mendenhall stuck his foot in his mouth 140 characters at a time on Twitter this week, with posts questioning whether Osama bin Laden was really behind the collapse of the World Trade Center, and criticizing those who cheered bin Laden’s death. Now Mendenhall has taken his comments off Twitter to provide a fuller explanation of what he meant — and an apology of sorts.

Mendenhall started up a blog, which he titled “Clarification,” to explain what he meant with his tweets. On that blog he apologized to anyone he offended, although he stopped short of disavowing his apparent belief in a 9/11 conspiracy.

“I appreciate those of you who have decided to read this letter and attain a greater understanding of my recent twitter posts. I see how they have gotten misconstrued, and wanted to use this outlet as a way to clear up all things that do not truthfully represent myself, what I stand for personally, and any organization that I am a part of,” Mendenhall writes.

Mendenhall then went on to say that he’s disappointed if anyone construed his Twitter comments as a reflection on his patriotism.

“I want people to understand that I am not in support of Bin Laden, or against the USA,” Mendenhall wrote. “I understand how devastating 9/11 was to this country and to the people whose families were affected. Not just in the US, but families all over the world who had relatives in the World Trade Centers. My heart goes out to the troops who fight for our freedoms everyday, not being certain if they will have the opportunity to return home, and the families who watch their loved ones bravely go off to war. Last year, I was grateful enough to have the opportunity to travel over seas and participate in a football camp put on for the children of US troops stationed in Germany. It was a special experience. These events have had a significant impact in my life.”

Still, Mendenhall stands by his opinion that people who celebrated the death of bin Laden were wrong. Mendenhall, who referred to the killing of bin Laden as “murder,” said his religion teaches him not to celebrate death, and he quoted a Bible verse to back him up.

“I wasn’t questioning Bin Laden’s evil acts,” Mendenhall said. “I believe that he will have to face God for what he has done. I was reflecting on our own hypocrisy. During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil. Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man’s death.”

But Mendenhall did, in fact, question bin Laden’s evil acts: In a tweet he has since deleted, Mendenhall questioned whether it was really possible that hijacked planes could have destroyed the World Trade Center. And Mendenhall suggested that we can’t judge bin Laden because “We’ve only heard one side.”

All that said, Mendenhall did offer an apology.

“I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm,” Mendenhall wrote. “I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name.”

Permalink 194 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
194 Responses to “Rashard Mendenhall expands on bin Laden comments”
  1. geeeeemen says: May 4, 2011 1:07 PM

Mendenhall only addressed one of his tweets, and only half of that one tweet. Not enough.

2. geniusesq says: May 4, 2011 1:07 PM

3. trickbunny says: May 4, 2011 1:08 PM

Don’t worry Rashard. You could openly admit that you hate the USA, think 911 was an inside job, want to have Osama’s babies, get 8 year olds hooked on crack, slap someone’s mother, and any other deplorable actions- but as long as you win FOOTBALL GAMES, Pittsburgh fans will be all over your jock. ‘Cause after all, Steelers fans have their priorities straight and love them some football.

4. sneaky1632 says: May 4, 2011 1:09 PM

This appology was scripped by someone else, totally insincere. How long will the steelers let this debacle continue?

5. myspaceyourface says: May 4, 2011 1:11 PM

Who cares what this guy says. . .

He only has this much attention because he is another athlete who speaks without thinking.

6. dixon29 says: May 4, 2011 1:11 PM

This guy is a class-less idiot. I would bet a lot of money that his agent or someone else wrote that apology. Thousands of innocent people died on 9/11, Osama bin Laden has taken credit for it and deserved to die.

Spin it anyway you want Mendenhall, the comments you made weren’t misconstrued, they were taken for what they were.

Signed,

A proud veteran of the US Army.

7. 49er33 says: May 4, 2011 1:11 PM

This honestly is something misconstrued, his comments were taken out of context. I respect the troops for putting their lives on the line for our freedom. This is simply a touchy subject, and now every time I read something relates to this guy, majority of comments are really harsh, but then again I’m commenting on PFT, and ESPN…

8. apac6586 says: May 4, 2011 1:11 PM

Did anyone else think to themselves: “Oh this should be good” when they read the headline?

9. halo81 says: May 4, 2011 1:11 PM

So his agent had someone type out an apology and it’s supposed to mean something? BS.

Personally, I’d trade the guy. I wouldn’t want him on my team. This post will get a bunch of thumbs down, but that’s not the type of publicity I want coming to my team and he damn well should have known better than to say something like that.

Now he’s retreating like crazy.

My favorite player on my favorite team could have said that and I’d want him gone.

10. dbellina says: May 4, 2011 1:11 PM

“For some, that clarification may be sufficient. For many, the apology won’t be enough.”

Yes, but everyone should also understand that this is one of the reasons America is the greatest country on Earth. We have the ability and right to say what we feel. Voltaire said it best, “I do not agree with what you say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

11. schuhbdoo says: May 4, 2011 1:12 PM

Dude, go play running back in Pakistan or Iran. They will mark the day he was taken down as Justice Day!!! We will never forget. If you decide to kill Americans, you will be hunted down and taken out. Navy Seal Style……… I am proud to be American and proud of what Obama did to Osama.

12. savocabol1 says: May 4, 2011 1:13 PM

What a joke. Typical pittsburgh scum.

13. cmr123 says: May 4, 2011 1:13 PM

100% idiot, better save his money because he is to stupied to work in the real world.

14. infinitig says: May 4, 2011 1:14 PM

You wonder if he had a loved one in the twin towers that got hit by a 42 ton plane his attitude would be the same. Good job U.S. Navy!

15. mswravens says: May 4, 2011 1:14 PM

O good – now all the paranoid conspiracy theory morons who populate this board can dog out Mendenhall for backing off his original insane comments.

Meanwhile, nice attempt to defuse the bomb by the Steelers PR dept.

@dixon29 – THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!

16. kusheadpotman says: May 4, 2011 1:14 PM

I bet Mendenhall also doesn’t believe OBL is actually dead until he see’s the long-form death certificate. Conspiracy theories abound..

17. dk56 says: May 4, 2011 1:15 PM

Isn’t it amazing how one’s outlook on something can change so quickly when you realize that you could lose your income because of it????

18. beastofeden says: May 4, 2011 1:15 PM

Good for you for speaking your mind, Mendenhall.

There are a lot of “Veterans” and “Patriots” that claim “You have free speech”, but you when you actually practice it,panties are bunched…quickly.

19. marvsleezy says: May 4, 2011 1:16 PM

20. chapnastier says: May 4, 2011 1:16 PM

Mendenhall has proven this off season that not only is he clueless but he is also classless as well. He is an embarrassment to the league, the country and to the Steelers organization as well. (note I understand the Steelers do not share his view. Unfortunately he is part of their organization)

21. cryptker says: May 4, 2011 1:18 PM

There`s a plane leaving this country any minute now,Be on it!……….

22. onwisconsin42 says: May 4, 2011 1:18 PM

49er33 says: May 4, 2011 1:11 PM

___

Taken out of context? What context IS there on Twitter?

You have however many characters to make your point, say what’s on your mind, and that’s what he did.

This was NOT an interview, NOT a randomly selected quote, NOT something someone happened to overhear him say to his sister.

He choose to Tweet these remarks and your reading comprehension must be as non-existent as Mendenhall’s common sense for you to believe otherwise.

23. hobartbaker says: May 4, 2011 1:20 PM

Osama was given the opportunity to surrender.
    “Do a triple backflip or I’ll shoot!”. Maybe he didn’t understand the Georgia accent or something.

24. sideoutshu says: May 4, 2011 1:21 PM

Mental note to idiot atheletes past, present and future:

“I am sorry if you are offended”

and

“I am sorry about how you interpreted what I said”

are not apologies.

25. berniemadoffsides says: May 4, 2011 1:22 PM

I believe he wrote this about as much as I believe we buried Bin Laden at sea.

26. db3300 says: May 4, 2011 1:22 PM

“Nothing like a genuine, reflective, and heartfelt apology through your employer’s PR guy.”

I was thinking it sounded more like a lawyer but we know it wasn’t his words just by the fact that we didn’t have to translate it into actual English.

27. silverandblack666 says: May 4, 2011 1:22 PM

The same people who want to sequester his freedom of speech are just as anti-American as his rants seem to be.

The modern day athlete tweeting is the equivalent of a 13 year old girl dressing inappropriately to get attention.

PATHETIC!!!

28. calhounlambeau says: May 4, 2011 1:22 PM

Good lord…..a nation of children.

29. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 4, 2011 1:23 PM

Another classless player.
    Hopefully Mr. Mendenhall will be out and about running his mouth within earshot of a special forces soldier. And hopefully that soldier shuts Mendenhall’s mouth up forever.
    But really, it seems like EVERY day a “partner” of the league is doing something or saying something so remarkably stupid. Who in the hell raised these a-holes? Momma Talib?
    I mean it is amazing that there are SO MANY of these drains on society in just one league, oops, NBA also.

If Pat Tillman were still alive (RIP), what would be his reply to Mushmouth Mendenhall?

30. patswinagain says: May 4, 2011 1:24 PM

First of all, he didn’t write his blog comments. Clearly that was constructed by someone attempting damage control.

Secondly, the USA was NOT celebrating the death of a “man.” This was a monster, an evil scurge and menace to the world. The celebrators of the 9/11 tragedy, we celebrating death of men, women, and children all whom were inocent, contributing members of this planets future.

Mendenall stuck his big fat foot in his mouth and now that he’s come to the conclusion that it will impact the financial future of Rashard Mendenhall Inc., he has clumsily backtracked.

At least he’s realized that mistake!

31. dallascowboysfanatic says: May 4, 2011 1:24 PM

I still cannot take this apology and just throw the issue away. To many people in this country care to much about the country and our troops overseas to let some idiot like this shoot his mouth off on his social networking sites then two days later after a weak apology just let it go. He can be forgiven but I feel that most people will have a view of him that will be tarnished for a good amount of time and it is well deserved. Point being athletes need to think before they tweet. Plus ya his apology looked ok because he actually sat there and thought about what he was gonna say…..Interesting concept maybe you should try it some more. But as for myself a major sports fan and huge supporter of this country I am not a fan of yours in any way nor do I plan 0n changing this at any point in the future.

32. db3300 says: May 4, 2011 1:25 PM

“How many of you have seen the movie “loose change”? Google it and educate yourself about the subject matter. It takes time and effort though, so you wont do it.”

No, we won’t do it because you’re an idiot for believing that “fire can’t melt steel” or that it’s possible to wire not one, but two buildings of that size without anyone ever seeing a thing. Go away. We all know your level of intelligence from just that one post.

33. minormillikin says: May 4, 2011 1:26 PM

From South Park, episode 10-09, “The Mystery of the Urinal Deuce” :

Cartman: Well did you know that over one-fourth of people in America think that 9/11 was a conspiracy? Are you saying that one-fourth of Americans are retards?

Kyle: Yes. I’m saying one-fourth of Americans are retards.

Stan: Yeah, at least one-fourth.

34. kellenmcclain says: May 4, 2011 1:26 PM

He’s right on one part… those rednecks that were acting like complete fools in their celebrations are idiots, and the world was laughing at them (not with them).

We were being TO, when we should’ve been Barry Sanders.

35. detroitfootsketball says: May 4, 2011 1:27 PM

his opinion and the fact that he had to apologize for his opion are both silly

36. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 4, 2011 1:27 PM

Mendenhall’s words are just the latest remarkably stupid action taken by another A-Hole league “partner”.

HE and Dez are PRIME examples of why I hope the owners crush the “players” and end up with the ability to ban them from the league for assinine behavior!
    Take all these uncivilized drains on society and ban them to a place where they will be more “at home”

37. zoxitic says: May 4, 2011 1:28 PM

I took myself out of context.

38. kyleortonsarm says: May 4, 2011 1:29 PM

Don’t worry Mendenhall, Pittsburgh fans are only pretending to be offended. As soon as the regular season starts they won’t even remember this. Steeler fans are the worst. They would cheer for Timothy McVeigh if they thought he’d help them win.

39. cb256 says: May 4, 2011 1:29 PM

I think everyone that is angry at Mendenhall for what he said is being extremely immature and is going against everything our country was founded on. I just don’t understand how people can get angry at him for not believing everything he heard when it came to 9/11. There are a lot of discrepancies over what happened on that day and to say he is an idiot for not just blindly believing everything our government has ever told us is puzzling to me. I know everyone on this site will bash him and this post because they will say that it is un-american. In reality it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with being un-american. NEVER did he say he supported what Bin Laden did or that he was not a bad man. He has a set of religious beliefs and does not believe in celebrating death. How people can call him an idiot for this is embarrassing to me as an american citizen. It is much more un-american to call this man an idiot because he has a set of religious beliefs and believes that we may not have all the facts on what actually happened on 9/11. The derogatory and inflammatory comments that are posted on this site everyday are much further across the moral line then Rashard will ever be.

40. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 4, 2011 1:29 PM

@Deb

I am curious to know what your thoughts on this whole Mendenhall issue are?
    I mean this is an unpatriotic Steeler.

41. narutofan10 says: May 4, 2011 1:29 PM

“marvsleezy says: May 4, 2011 1:16 PM

no i won’t do it because you are a random guy on a sports blog…like hell i am gonna do what you say XD

42. hedleykow says: May 4, 2011 1:30 PM

To some, the mob mentality that got us into an unnecessary trillion dollar war and unnecessarily put US troops in harm’s way is a bigger worry than caring what one football player thinks.

43. rc33 says: May 4, 2011 1:30 PM

As always, the “remorse” comes well after the fact and only after the feedback was negative.
    Hopefully, Mendenhall gave it some thought before he tweeted; understanding the scope of what he was saying, and how poorly it may be received. He’s no dummy but unfortunately for him, neither are we.
    No one’s buying this mea culpa.
    It came about simply because he got “caught.”

44. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: May 4, 2011 1:31 PM

I’m growing a little tired of the “rah-rah, America’s #1 no matter what” and “authority figures are always right” attitudes here.

From a PR standpoint, sure, Mendenhall should apologize to the STEELERS for what he said, because it likely hurt business. I don’t see why Mendenhall needs to apologize to anyone else, though. He has the right to believe and say whatever he wants. I realize it’s inevitable that people will be offended, but why? What do they care what HE believes? “Oh no, that guy over there believes in flying unicorns! I’m so offended!” If you BELIEVE that he is incorrect, then dismiss him as clueless and move along. No reason to get upset because of someone’s beliefs, especially when you perceive those beliefs to be unfounded and false.

The fact of the matter is that no one truly KNOWS (with 100% certainty) what happened on that day. Mendenhall could very well be right (not saying it’s likely). But how would we ever know IF he is right when the minute someone mentions it people jump all over them as if they were Bin-Laden himself?

Mendenhall should apologize to the Steelers for hurting business, but he SHOULD NOT apologize for what he believes. He shouldn’t even have to hide it, but he should be more careful about making them public and putting the Steelers in a bad position, if only for the sake of his football career and all the benefits of it.

45. elevando1 says: May 4, 2011 1:32 PM

I agree with Mendenhall when he claims americans shouldn’t be dancing in the streets because bin laden was killed. Did bin laden deserve to die? yes, no question about it. But watching children dance in the street outside the white house has me questioning how much we really lost and what we lost in this war. Are we going by way of the roman empire? their downfall seems in part because they as a society lost compassion for their neighbor and forgot the value of human life.

46. lovesportsandsurfing says: May 4, 2011 1:33 PM

Rashard…know this,..you will be out of the league in about 2 years or so,..no tv gig, no coaching gig,..broke and 300 pounds is your future,…and the only reason is because you are the typical uneducated athlete,…clueless on real life…utterly clueless,…that video of you dry humping Big Ben didnt help you much either you weirdo….by the way, Rashard rhymes with Retard.

47. tommythek says: May 4, 2011 1:34 PM

Next tweet will be his friend tweeted for him in his car and that he did not inhale the tweet

48. gcsuk says: May 4, 2011 1:34 PM

cmr123 says: May 4, 2011 1:13 PM

———————————————————————–

Classic. Calls Mendenhall stupid, and then is “to stupied” to spell “to stupied” correctly.

49. mightymightylafootball says: May 4, 2011 1:36 PM

His blog post said:

“This controversial statement was something I said in response to the amount of joy I saw in the event of a murder.”

A murder? Really?

Try again.

50. TxGrown says: May 4, 2011 1:37 PM

I’d rather see him do his talking on the field.

Bin laden is dead, and we all have opinions about that.

Now why don’t we concentrate on using our opinions on getting a season of football.

It’s a comment board for pro football!

51. thephantomstranger says: May 4, 2011 1:37 PM

Do people really not see the difference between people celebrating the deaths of 3,000 innocent civilians in an unprovoked attack and people celebrating the death of the number one terrorist in the world who planned that attack and many others?

52. philtration says: May 4, 2011 1:38 PM

Mendenhall is probably another one of these idiot athletes that call them selves a “Soldier” for playing a game.
    Sorry turd but the closest that you will ever come to being to a soldier is playing at Soldier Field.

53. realkelevra says: May 4, 2011 1:38 PM

Mendenhall then went on to say?

Really? We’re pretending that this wasn’t some sort of publicist or relations handler cleaning up his mess? Ok, continue…

54. jackbassett says: May 4, 2011 1:38 PM

cmr123 says: May 4, 2011 1:13 PM

___________________

PLEASE tell me the grammar problems and misspelling in your post were intentional. PLEASE.

55. hobartbaker says: May 4, 2011 1:39 PM

Instructions to the SEALS were to take Os dead or alive. Unfortunately the text message exceeded the character limit and the last two words didn’t go through.

56. kylepicklehead says: May 4, 2011 1:40 PM

One Word is needed– FAIL.

57. qj1984 says: May 4, 2011 1:43 PM

I’d be a little more inclined to accept if I thought it was genuinely from him. Seems to polished for twitter. Looks more like a statement written by some pr people.

58. uwsptke says: May 4, 2011 1:45 PM

I’m starting to think that his fumble at a critical point in the Super Bowl which dramatically shifted the course of that game back in favor of the Packers was not just a coincidence. It was a pre-emptive strike by Kharma.

59. KIR says: May 4, 2011 1:46 PM

I’m not going to hold a few ill advised comments by a 23 year against him for life. Hopefully a lesson has been learned. On the bright side at least he learned a few things in his english and college writing classes. To me being an illiterate adult unable to read and write is more of a crime than a few naive uninformed tweets.

I think a lot of people agree and can relate on the celebration point. The 911 conspiracy theory has no basis in fact. Yes, question your government, however don’t turn around and believe an unverifiable sources fairytales, half truths and outright lies as gospel. What kind of reasoning is that? Jet Fuel on fire is as hot as the fire in a steel mill. It can melt steel and concrete which caused the collapse of the upper floors down onto the bottom floors. A demolition occurs from the bottom up.

60. TheDudeAbides says: May 4, 2011 1:47 PM

You know what I see when I turn on the TV and see people cheering other people’s deaths?

Monkeys… no matter which side of the rock you’re on.

61. anarchopurplism says: May 4, 2011 1:50 PM

Not good enough.

You are either with us…..or against us.

Signed,

Chicken Hawk

62. ravenution says: May 4, 2011 1:52 PM

Rashad makes a point. This country is built on hypocrisy. We send troops over there to KILL and we celebrate it by calling it “defending the cpuntry.” If any citizen did thatvhere, especially minorritoes, then its called murder. Pretty, we did murder Osama. Just as he was responsible for murdering hundredss of Americans. This is part of why the rest of the world hates america. Our troops arebmurderers notbdefenders of the cpuntry.

63. scoops1 says: May 4, 2011 1:53 PM

Pat Tillman would like a word this Mendenhall guy in the future

64. nickster31 says: May 4, 2011 1:54 PM

Lets not let silly things like “FACTS” get in the way of a good story!

There are HUNDREDS of movies on Netflix and other outlets that show that there are questions as to what REALLY happened on 9/11.

Where is the debris from the plane that crashed at the Pentagon? Why was there no debris on the ground?

Why did BOTH towers fall the EXACT same way as if they were demolished by pros?

There is a TON of evidence that says there is more to this than what we are being told. Instead of believing everything you see on TV, do some research on your own.

Answer me this, do you REALLY think Oswald shot Kennedy alone?

When it happened, everyone thought it was horrible to say anything against that theory. Now, it is commonly believed that there is more to it than meets the eye.

Believe what you want to, but don’t redicule someone for expressing their freedom of speach!

65. arbornicer says: May 4, 2011 1:59 PM

@nickster31

can you link me to some of this “evidence” please? i feel like you believe anything someone in a documentary says. do you think Paul is really dead too? learn how to spell freak.

66. colbeagle7 says: May 4, 2011 2:00 PM

its a little ignorant of everyone to hop on this guy for his freedom of speech, something that the troops you all support are fighting for all across the world to bring to other countries.

whether or not you believe in the 9/11 conspiracies, you should thoroughly investigate why some people believe it was an inside job. if anything it will enlighten you if you are open to opinions, or it will close your mind off more showing your ignorance. i’m somewhat disappointed in the writers and the public for hopping on mendenhall for his beliefs which is something you all should respect as americans.

67. bubbabart says: May 4, 2011 2:00 PM

Navy seals 2…Osama/Mendenhal 0.

68. 2ndaryinsanity says: May 4, 2011 2:02 PM

Too late, Mendenhall. And now you want to “clarify” what you wrote on Twitter. @ least man up…if you’re “brave” enough to voice an unpopular opinion, you should have the courage to stand by your convictions. If Mendenhall truely didn’t realize that his words could be hurtfull and disrespectful, maybe too many blows to the head from playing football have already killed most of his brain cells. The funny thing is that in the process of “clarifying,” Mendenhall inserted his foot in his mouth yet again…this time by calling Bin Laden’s death a murder. By attacking the USA multiple times, (1993 World Trade Center bombing, USS Cole, 2 embassy’s in Africa, and 911) Osama Bin Laden openly declared WAR on our country. In response, we’ve undertaken MILITARY action against Osama and his soldiers. Osama was killed in a battle. If Osama had surrendered immediately, he more than likely would not have been killed.How the f%$# can Mendenhall call that murder???What a tool. As for those of you defending Mendenhall’s right to free speech…most of the comments I’ve read don’t dispute that right. Everyone in our country has it. However, when anyone exercises the right of free speech…they have to be willing to accept the possible consequences when they voice a controversial opinion. Mendenhall has to live with the consequences. He should probably just shut the f#$% up at this point, because you can’t un-ring a bell.

69. nickster31 says: May 4, 2011 2:03 PM

KIR says:
    May 4, 2011 1:46 PM

———————————————-

First off, the towers fell from the top down, not the other way around.

Then, look at the Pentagon video, and tell me where the plane is?

70. allstardenise says: May 4, 2011 2:04 PM

Links are not accepted.

71. pkrlvr says: May 4, 2011 2:04 PM

How ironic it is that this guy doesn’t believe that planes brought down the towers (even though everyone saw it happen) but DOES believe in a god (of whom there is absolutely no evidence of existence)…..and actually believes that this non-existent entity will dole out justice to a dead man in the afterlife.

72. beatnik25 says: May 4, 2011 2:06 PM

God forbid you have opinion in this country. Baa’d Baa’d Black Sheep, get back in line and worship and believe in all of our country’s propoganda.

73. colbeagle7 says: May 4, 2011 2:07 PM

obviously planes hit the two towers pkrlvr, learn about the conspiracy theories out there before shooting them down. you obviously have no knowledge of what they’re saying.

74. whatswiththehate says: May 4, 2011 2:07 PM

I know see why they hang the sign at the Zoo stating; “Do Not Feed the Animals.” That statement seems quite apropo when it comes to the sports media and it’s constant desire to feed negative spins to their followers. The action gives temporary satisfaction until it’s feeding time again.

I guess when you’re an NFL athlete, you have no rights. Your job is to shut up and play. Not even your private life is yours if these jealous folks in the sports media could have thier way.

Hate seems to be the underlining tone to this site when it comes to these players, some way more than others. One wonders if the green-eye monster name jealousy isn’t behind all these negative spins against these athletes. The fact that this site was calling for this athlete to lose his job is a bit much, don’t you think PFT.

So much for freedom of speech.

75. calhounlambeau says: May 4, 2011 2:08 PM

Anyone who demands an apology from a man who believes in what he said is a liberal ninny. Unfortunately this country is being overrun by grown people with a childs mentality who cant handle an opinion that differs from there’s….when they hear it, they freak out like children….

“Rashard Mendenhall just said something terrible, OMG, OMG, OMG, he must apologize, he cant believe this.”

Bunch of lib ninnies.

76. mrsh1978 says: May 4, 2011 2:10 PM

So let me get this straight…. You all can sit here and give your opinions on what you think of Mendenhall, but he has no right to give his opinion?? I, for one, agree with him about the celebration of the death of Bin Laden. Granted, what Bin Laden has done to this country was horrific and caused millions of people heartache for those who lost their lives on 9/11. However, he was a human being who had a family. Celebrating his death the way some have is sad. If, God forbid, something were to happen to Obama, or any other president in office, at the hands of another country, we as Americans would be disgusted to see celebrations flowing out into the streets of the country responsible. It’s deplorable that Freedom of Speech is accepted only if you agree with what’s being said. Not really freedom then, is it?

77. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 2:12 PM

What a Nancy-boy. He cowtows to the popular sentiment but doesn’t renounce his belief that 9/11 was a conspiracy. If you believe the absurd notion that there “is another side” to bin Ladens murderous, disgusting attack, stand for it! Own it loser!

By not truly apologizing you make yourself look like the weak and pathetic cowards who attacked this country in 2001. If you’re man enough to say it, and believe it, then stand for it.

Right or wrong your “apology” is NOT accepted.

Signed,

America and remembrance of the true heros of 9/11.

78. nickster31 says: May 4, 2011 2:13 PM

It is physically IMPOSSIBLE for a plane that size to hit the Pentagon, and leave the type of damage that was done.

Google search the pentagon footage, then google any other plane crash, into land, NEAR the same size, and see for yourself the difference.

If you say there is no difference, then I will give it to you.

If you say there is a difference, then you too believe there may be a conspiracy.

79. mendenhallstweets says: May 4, 2011 2:13 PM

‘Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt’. Of course everyone has the right to express his opinions.

But when they come from a 23 year-old-pseudo-deep thinker-fumbling-dalailama re-tweeter-knowsitall kid, some crazy things are going to come out.
    For him to write that there is not an ignorant bone in his body, is in itself pretty ignorant and arrogant. He’s just a guy that has some maturing to do,
    it’s just too bad that he chooses to do it on a very public network, and that he’s with the Steelers.

Now, he also erased some posts where he wisely lectures women on that if they don’t go down on their men, someone else will. I’m not sure if he retweeted that from ‘Islamic thoughts’, though.

Never a fan of his, but from now on, whenever I need encouragement to think, I know where I’m heading!

80. calhounlambeau says: May 4, 2011 2:15 PM

Agreed, Mendenhall backed down from his opinion, which makes him similar to a terrorist that killed thousands people. Humanity thanks you for that waste of our time.

81. flboyindallas says: May 4, 2011 2:15 PM

Rashard,

You should never have “clarified”. No need. The shepherd doesn’t owe the sheep an apology. You were right the first time.

Strength to you, brother.

82. ravensfan4life52 says: May 4, 2011 2:15 PM

you know what. if saying that death is nothing to celebrate means he’s unpatriotic and hates america then i guess i hate america too. and it is fair to label it murder considering osama was unarmed but he had it coming anyways so i’m not gonna complain about that, but i understand the argument. people are blowing his tweets way out of proportion. if being american means that i have to act and think like most of you people then i’m proud to say that i am unamerican and i would be ashamed to consider myself american. you people are no better than the terrorists.

83. pigeonpea says: May 4, 2011 2:16 PM

The English in his “apology” was far too precise to be written by Mendenhall himself. It is obvious this is the work of a paid PR rep.

84. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 2:18 PM

@calhounlambeau

I’m a conservative. Why are you attacking a political ideology? It has NOTHING to do with politics. It’s people like you who are the divisive elements in this country turning what is a conversation about a man who made terrible comments at the worst possible time, into an attack on your own countrymen who simply have a different political beleif than you.

I know plenty of libs and conservatives that HATE what Mendenhall said.

85. rangenius says: May 4, 2011 2:20 PM

Rashard, the people want you to say that “state sponsored murder is a great thing.” can’t you understand that?

Osama was trained and supported by the CIA for years in the past, why is it such a huge leap to think 9/11 may of been a false flag attack? it did lead to billions of spending and profits for companies to profit from Iraq and Afghan wars. Now we are in Libya. Who’s next?

Roman empire part deux!

86. immilstew says: May 4, 2011 2:20 PM

While I do not agree with everything he tweeted, I certainly believe that he has every right to his opinion. I also believe that others do not have to agree with him and can state as much, but to have him kicked off “my” team is ludicrous. Watching people celebrate death is disconcerting to me as well–nothing wrong with him stating that. Yes, bin Laden was responsible for horrific acts and many needless deaths– but celebrating in the streets cheapens the memories of those who were killed. Americans need to get some class and move on here.

87. capslockkey says: May 4, 2011 2:20 PM

I honestly couldn’t care less about Mendenahall’s (or any athlete’s, actor’s, etc) political views. The fact this story got the legs it did surprises me. I’m more offended by him backing up Peterson’s “players are slaves” thing than this stupid thing.

88. scottyd27 says: May 4, 2011 2:21 PM

Ok, I commented on this yestarday.

First I am a native of western PA and a lifelong Stillers fan. So feel free to call me a homer. I am also a Vet of the 1st Gulf War. (enough on that).

I think I understand what the kid was trying to say. I missed the Pres. Obama’s remarks because i had been riding my motorcycle all day in the So. Fla sun and fallen asleep.

I had been watching the news when i fell asleep and woke up at 1am when I saw the headline “osama killed in raid”. Then they showed the people at ground 0 and infront of hte white house cheering. That disturbed me.

While I am happy with the Navy SEALS arranging a meeting between osama and allah I believe Americans are better people that to be out celebrating death. I also noticed most of the people out chanting USA! USA! were mostly in their 20s. (i guess most old people like me are sleeping at night)

A THANK YOU to our service men/women and intel services, a uh-ya to the CINC and we go about our business which is business.

Most of the kids that were celebrating would’ve been 8-10 years old on 9-11-01 and didn’t understand how it changed our society. They probably didn’t remember the outrage we had and watching people choose between jumping from 110 floors up or burning to death. And i sure as hell know they don’t remember american outrage at the muslim/arabs in the middle east handing out candy and dancing in the streets.

Again sending osama to allah is a good thing for civilized society and I dont’ agree with everything Mendehall said (and i wish he’d hold on to the damn football) but i do agree with him on celebrating death.

GOOD JOB U.S Armed services. Thank you for doing what you do so i can sit on my fat ass and watch football and ride my motorcycle in realitive peace, god bless you and hold you, come home safe and whole.

Sorry for the lenght of my rant.

89. gbiscottagecheesefatties says: May 4, 2011 2:21 PM

HAHA. We damn sure know he didn’t write that. I can hear his agent typing another as we speak

90. rangenius says: May 4, 2011 2:21 PM

@jennstergersburnedretinas

So if a country like say Venezuala sent troops into America seeking someone and bombing us, you would be cool with it? You would not fight back?

2 sides to every story no matter how painful. We need to get out of these countries!

I am sure the King of England viewed the founding fathers as terrorists in our own revolution.

91. lunasceiling says: May 4, 2011 2:22 PM

Why anyone gives a damn about what an athlete says on a subject other than sports is a mystery.

92. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 4, 2011 2:23 PM

mrsh1978 says:
    May 4, 2011 2:10 PM

****************************************
    He already gave his opinionS, Einstein. Now we are giving our opinions about HIM!

93. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 2:23 PM

@ ravensfan

No they aren’t blowing them out of proportion. Have you ever been around a group of people and just inherently knew that some topics aren’t cool to talk about? Mendenhall is an extremely well know athlete. He has to know that anything he says are going to be broadcast around the country and the day that a ten year man hunt for the greatest terrorist in American history ends maybe isn’t the best time to question what happened on 9/11.

94. capslockkey says: May 4, 2011 2:23 PM

@nickster31

Realize these specific flights were picked for hijacking because they were full cross country flights meaning they were fully fueled. Typical plane crashes don’t involve a jumbo jet that just got topped off for a flight from Boston to LA.

95. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 2:26 PM

@flboyindallas

Who the hell is the shepherd? Just curious since you think that anyone who believes that the attacks were perpetrated by bin Laden are sheep.

96. capslockkey says: May 4, 2011 2:27 PM

@nickster31

Also realize these crashes aren’t the same as they were flown like kamikazes fighters to inflict as much damage as possible. Impact is going to be a hell of a lot different when you purposely full throttle your plan into a building rather than doing everything possible to make your crash landing as safe as it can be.

97. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 2:29 PM

@ rangenius

________________________

What is this in response to? Did I mention anything about Pakistan? Did I mention that we needed to get bin Laden? What are you talking about?

98. granadafan says: May 4, 2011 2:32 PM

The “clarification” is not sufficient whatsoever because his LAWYER/AGENT wrote that completely tweet full of lawyer-driven text. Just read this very bland gramatically-correct Tweet compared to the earlier Tweets which were full of errors and barely legible English .

Shame on anyone who falls for this lawyer “clarification”.

99. lakedog19352 says: May 4, 2011 2:32 PM

I wish conspiracy theorists would stop trying to tell people that planes did not crash into the World Trade Center. Its freaking maddening hearing that.

I had a college friend who was on the plane that hit Tower 2. He has a wife and three kids who can attest that it happened. (She had to sell the house and move in with her parents for a few years to get back on her feet, emotionally and financially) So F you Mendenhall, Jesse Ventura and any other asswipe who says it didnt happen.

100. maddenprophet says: May 4, 2011 2:33 PM

I just read all previous 82 comments on this and I must say mr mendenhall’s comments pales in comparison to the IGNORANCE I just witnessed. Watch the films In Plane Sight and Loose Changes… And THEN use your reason and logic! Not emotion… LOGIC

101. billionsvsmillions says: May 4, 2011 2:37 PM

trickbunny says:
    May 4, 2011 1:08 PM

–Tricktard,
    HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO! Say what you wish Mendenhall, I suppose IM one of the only few in America that can agreee to dis-agree with your comments and yet still want you to run the ball like hell and win football games! Besides Mendenhall, most of the people striking you down for your opinion on something, take a daily does of a fraud president feeding them bull****. Just be glad Mr. Mendenhall your in a position to where people actually care what you say, these people on these threads, their word does not mean shi*… they are pisss ants. Their voice means nothing.

102. adogdc says: May 4, 2011 2:41 PM

PFT comment section is why foreign countries look down on us and hate us. America is so full of theirselves and are very much pompus a-holes like 98% of you commentors come off as.

I felt the same as Rashard of all the celebration of death. Do you know that over 2,000+ soldiers and 20,000 plus civilians died all over the world (Iraq and Afghanistan specifically) because of 9/11?? More innocent civilains have died after 9/11 then the innocent that died on that actual day.

This is a somber moment. The only ones who deserve to celebrate anything should be the soldiers for doing their ‘jobs’ and more specifically, the Navy S.E.A.L.S.

And my brother is on his way to do a third tour in Iraq next week….AFTER the death of OBL.

He said he can’t comprehend 2 planes taking down 2 towers. What’s wrong with being truthful? Maybe he doesn’t fully comprehend because he is busy doing HIS job and trying to get his team to the SuperBowl!! He was just chiming in and maybe was looking for someone to help inform him.

Why does everything have to be so Black N White with people pressed to comment? Are NFL blog commentators THAT ignorant to not have a true open discussion?

103. johnnyinsnj says: May 4, 2011 2:44 PM

Does this guy know when to shut up? Another under educated jock who thinks he understands world views. It’s like when hot chicks tell a really really bad joke and suckers laugh their arses off…the chicks think people care. This jock is that chick. His new name is Retard Mendenhall.

104. metalhead65 says: May 4, 2011 2:49 PM

how can he possibly say he did not mean to offend anybody?just another clumsy attempt at spin control.leaving me with even less respect than I hafor him before which was zero.why for once wob’t somebody who says something stupid and offensive just stand by it?you said it so you meant it until the backlash against what you said started.I do not want to hear what you meant to say,I read it so I know what you said and no amount of spin will change it. just as I do not care what people think of my view on islam and it’s culture,I do not need you to tell me that you did not mean what you said. and I celebrated like everybody else did who loves this country! the world is a better place now that he is dead and I only hope they do the same to the rest of the scum who are part of his group.

105. KIR says: May 4, 2011 2:51 PM

Ohhhhhh..K a 23 year old deep thinker. :-) I was one of those until 20 years later I now look back and realize I was actually a shallow thinker who thought I was deep thoughts. Anyone who can now look back 20 years of more from the time they were 23 knows exactly what I’m saying. Just wait Mendenhall you only have 20 years to go to realize you’ve made some pretty silly comments.

106. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 2:51 PM

I bet Dan Rooney penned that blog himself.

107. kellenmcclain says: May 4, 2011 2:51 PM

To anyone that has referenced Pat Tillman in this thread, he would undoubtedly support Mendenhall’s opinion. Please see his family’s documentary for the REAL Pat Tillman before bastardizing who he was (like Rumsfeld, Cheney, et al did).

108. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 2:54 PM

PFT comment section is why foreign countries look down on us and hate us.

—————————————————–

Oh my goodness, we need to start being nicer right now!

hahaha

109. hokiez says: May 4, 2011 2:54 PM

He only addressed the part that people could at least potentially understand, that we should not celebrate the death of a person, even someone as evil Bin Laden.

If that is all he said in his initial tweet, there would not be such an uproar.

By the way, I celebrated Bin Laden’s assassination :) Using someone as a shield is so cowardly that I can’t even comprehend.

110. ravensfan4life52 says: May 4, 2011 2:58 PM

@jenstergersburnedretinas

when i read his tweets the main thing i got from them was to not celebrate death. i don’t care what has happened there is never an inappropriate time to convey that message to the masses. i think now is the best time to convey that message. i commend mendenhall for spreading a belief that isn’t popular but is still righteous. and anyone who condemns mendenhall has obviously never watched someone die in front of them. and if they have and still think that death is something to celebrate then i feel sorry for them. i have never once said that i am ashamed to be an american until i saw how people reacted to the news of osama’s death and how they treated people who said death was nothing to celebrate. the day osama died is one of the saddest days i have witnessed. not because osama died, but because americans showed who they really are. and they are no better then the men who hijacked those planes.

111. Deb says: May 4, 2011 2:58 PM

@iamtalking …

If you really want to know my thoughts, check the previous four threads on Mendenhall. Posted more than a dozen times on all aspects of the issue, from Mendenhall’s absurd comments to my strong belief that teams need to have firm corporate policies regarding Twitter and other public communication that can reflect negatively on the organization.

I don’t have a problem with his religious view that it’s wrong to celebrate the death of an enemy; many of my fellow Christians share those beliefs. My problem is with his comments that we don’t really know what happened on 9/11 and “we’ve only heard one side.” If you read the other threads, you’ll find many PFTers share those views. I find them more ignorant, uninformed, and just plain loopy than unpatriotic. But in a country dedicated to the principle of free speech, people have the right to make fools of themselves if they choose.

Mendenhall, however, is representing his organization and should never comment publicly on controversial subjects without clearance. I have a background in corporate communications and have said prior to this that the Steelers should bar players from using Twitter and should have a strict policy regarding unsupervised press interviews. If they had such a policy and he broke the rules, he could be fired for cause. As it is, all the team can do is explain his role as a team rep and warn him to refrain from discussing such controversial subjects in the future. But they can’t do that until the lockout ends.

As for his contention that he’s just trying to expand intellectual dialogue … I might take that more seriously if, just before these tweets, he hadn’t been advising women about the importance of performing certain sex acts to keep their men. Yeah … really elevating the dialogue there, Rashard. Guess when you were scouring the Bible for those verses on loving your enemy, you missed the ones on fornication, huh?

112. mkuske says: May 4, 2011 2:59 PM

Wow! Suddenly he sounds like a lawyer…or a handler.

113. sterilizecromartie says: May 4, 2011 3:01 PM

I guarantee this….

It is only a matter of time before he says something else stupid… probably about this same issue. We have not heard the last of this.

Go on his Twitter page and reads the stuff he talks about. This guy actually thinks he is some type of philosopher. Such types aren’t silenced so easily. He is making this apology because someone told him he had to, not because he is genuinly sorry for what he said. He is going to spout off again soon, very soon.

114. ravensfan4life52 says: May 4, 2011 3:01 PM

his comments are being blown out of proportion by people saying he hates america and he is ignorant. he is just stating a completely rational and spiritual point of view.

115. rcastagna says: May 4, 2011 3:02 PM

I love it when complete idiots try to use “big” words in a failed attempt to appear intelligent.

Mendenhall is one of those “Smart like rock” people. Of course, they’re entitled to their opinions – and the forum to voice those opinions – but in this case, the stupidity that runs rampant inside of his head has been allowed to leak out.

In the immortal words of one of the finest philosophers of our time – Bugs Bunny – “What a maroon!”

116. duanethomas says: May 4, 2011 3:03 PM

He doesn’t get, if he is questioning what brought the towers down, then Osama Bin Laden was innocent. Despite him taking 100% credit for all the acts on 9/11 and promising more. If this was 1945 he would be offended that we celebrated Hitlers death. I felt good because OBL was dead, paid for his heinous crimes and couldn’t do anymore. He was a war criminal. Phuck him!

117. dano1262 says: May 4, 2011 3:03 PM

Yeah okay. This really sounds like he sat down and wrote out this blog, and the kind of words he would use in every day life.

If this is what you think then have some b—s and stick by it. Don’t be a b—h and fold under the pressure.

Why is everyone so worked up over what some nitwit like this said? I bet if you polled the country 20% of the rest of the nitwits agree with him.

118. achilleslaststand87 says: May 4, 2011 3:04 PM

Ignorance abounds. As someone who was incredibly happy to see that Bin Laden was killed because all he represented in his miserable existence was a force of hate, I think just about everyone on this blog needs to take a step back and realize how ignorant they are being. This is supposed to be a country were we have the freedom to from our own opinions. Do I believe here was a 9/11 conspiracy, Hell no. Do I believe we should be crucifying this guy for his ill timed tweets, 100% No. So you don’t share his opinions then stop reading these articles and get over yourself and realize someone can despise everything a person stands for but not wish to make their death a cause for celebration. Because thats their belief. Chastise him for his timing but not his beliefs

119. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 3:04 PM

————————————————–

So does everybody else. Get it? YET?

120. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 3:05 PM

—————————————————–

Please don’t try to speak for Pat Tillman.

121. cd_ridge says: May 4, 2011 3:06 PM

First off, I disagree with Mendenhall’s original comments expressing the “demolition style” destruction of the WTC towers. The structural failure of the building is a function of the design and building materials used in construction of the towers. How they fell is completely within the realm of possibility.

I can understand his opinion of those who publicly celebrate the death of OBL. I choose not to publicly celebrate his death, but take personal satisfaction in his demise. I will not acknowledge OBL by doing anything to could fuel OBL’s supporters. OBL will get nothing from me. Also, I understand how there are those who do celebrate OBL’s death and I will not criticize those people either. It is their freedom of expression.

As a Steelers fan I would prefer that Mendenhall focus on securing the football rather the speculate on conspiracy theories. I hope the Mendenhall gets his priorities straight.

122. steelersmichele says: May 4, 2011 3:06 PM

What cracks me up is all the people blasting the Steelers and their fans. As if they don’t have ANYONE on their team that has done or said something stupid OR gotten arrested.

Steelers fans will cheer for him. Of course we will. Just like you cheer for the dumbass players on your team who have been arrested for DUI, domestic abuse, involuntary manslaughter (and the list goes on and on).

On the opening kickoff, we’re all hypocrites for supporting the players on our team–the good ones and the bad ones.

123. usmutts says: May 4, 2011 3:07 PM

Two things:

1. To nickster31 and like-minded folks who see conspiracies everywhere, please check your tin foil hats for holes. And if you take a blow to the head, no need to get a brain scan. It won’t show anything.

2. To Mendenhall, here’s what you should have said, and it would be true for you as it is for me:

I don’t celebrate the death of any human being, but I will celebrate the fact that he won’t be able to kill any other human beings.

Or, ( and here I’ll plagerize a bit ):

I won’t be attending the funeral, but I’ll write a nice letter approving of it.

124. jetfuel21 says: May 4, 2011 3:07 PM

No way he wrote that – He doesn’t even know what misconstrued means.

125. sterilizecromartie says: May 4, 2011 3:08 PM

minormillikin says:
    May 4, 2011 1:26 PM
    From South Park, episode 10-09, “The Mystery of the Urinal Deuce” :

Kyle: Yes. I’m saying one-fourth of Americans are retards.

Stan: Yeah, at least one-fourth.
    —————
    LMAO. I love it. It’s amazing how a cartoon can put something in such clear perspective.

126. bamabob says: May 4, 2011 3:15 PM

This punk is luck the Steelers don’t play in New York this year.

127. clear2me says: May 4, 2011 3:16 PM

If this blog apology was truly crafted by a professional apologist as some suggest on here, how come it wasn’t complete and solid enough to extinguish the original tweet insanity?

128. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: May 4, 2011 3:17 PM

melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 3:04 PM

————————————————–

So does everybody else. Get it? YET?

——————————————-

When have I asked someone to apologize for their beliefs? I don’t recall doing so. I may argue with what someone says, but I’m not going to be offended and I’m certainly not going to ask them to apologize. So while I guess I was supposed to “get” that I shouldn’t be criticizing other people’s beliefs about his beliefs, I never said criticism is wrong. I said getting offended over what someone else believes and asking them to apologize for stating their beliefs is wrong.

Feel free to elaborate if there was something else I was supposed to “get.”

129. nebster21 says: May 4, 2011 3:20 PM

Man he is a sell out. He is the epitomy of his words. I hate the words he said and I will forever hate him. And the funny thing is he will have to live with the fact that he is a terrorist sympathizing sell out.

130. pedsaregoodforsports says: May 4, 2011 3:23 PM

The idiocy of the American people baffles me. The only thing you can do to combat his statements is call him an idiot and moron, but the fact of the matter is to be a TRUE patriot and American means to stand for TRUTH and JUSTICE. Fact of the matter is MOST people believe the full story fed to them by the goverment and main stream media and take it and run with it. 95% percent of you on here probably have done ZERO research and factual data analysis on what truly happened that day. There is OVERWHELMING scientific data SUPPORTING the conclusion of conspiracy. COUNTLESS testimonial from people and FIREFIGHTERS who were there on that day and supported the testimony of controlled demolition. Hell, the building owner of tower seven ADMITTED they demolished tower 7. A controlled demoliton takes WEEKS IF NOT MONTHS to do and it DAM SURE wont be done in a few hours. And save all your name calling and bashing, fact is ive done more research into this than all of you combined and let me tell you, the only real MORONS here are the people who just spew off their opinions and insults with NO FACTUAL EVIDENCE to back up that stance. I have read COUNTLESS expert testimony from people within the engineering field that support it. The truth is out there. Bin laden is only part of the puzzle. But there are others who should be right in the same bed with him. Honestly the naivety of you people is pathetic and EXACTLY what some people were banking on. You want justice for the victims? SO DO I. But it doesnt end with Bin Laden. And dont ask me to sit here and type all my facts. Ive done the research. Either you can dismiss this as crazy OR you can research yourself.

131. mattyc says: May 4, 2011 3:27 PM

I am:
    A) A Browns fan &
    B) A veteran of the US Navy
    So, save your dumb rebuttles of me being a Steelers fan or not a patriot or a true american.

I don’t condemn him for anything he said. There was much more US Government involvement in 9/11. If you think they can only sit back & steal our money & have your family members killed for the price of oil, then you 1 damn ignorant person to think it stops there. These politicians WILL kill for the power & money that they can get while in office. All of them keep their personal agenda as point A on their list of to do’s, not what is best for the citizens of the US.

As one that is participating in the celebration of Bin Ladens death, I don’t fault Mendenhall for being a good enough Christian & human to not do so. As furious as we all were as we watched the celebration in other countries of the trade centers explosion & watched them on the news spitting on our troops & cursing the existence of our being, payback & ignorance on our part to “return the favor” doesn’t have to be the exact same flavor that we all adhere to during this event.

Lastly, if we are all such good & patriotic americans, then we will reserve judgements & criticism of Mendenhalls comments as he does possess the Freedom to speak openly regarding any issue in today’s world.

132. adogdc says: May 4, 2011 3:31 PM

melonnhead says:
    May 4, 2011 2:54 PM
    PFT comment section is why foreign countries look down on us and hate us.

—————————————————–

Oh my goodness, we need to start being nicer right now!

hahaha

=================================

Sometimes I feel that the PFT comment section represents that hillbilly family on the Simpsons. Seriously.

I think just like people up here is saying he should stick to football. I feel most PFT commentors should just stick to commenting about football matters and stop commenting on comments made by football players talking about world news or anything else not football related.

133. bobbynj says: May 4, 2011 3:32 PM

Two words for Mendenhall : Clay Mattthews

134. nineleveninsidejob says: May 4, 2011 3:33 PM

You sheep realize that the FBI never lists Osama for 9/11 on their website cos they admit there is no evidence, right? Put down the diet sodas and get your head out of the sand, freaks.

135. fground says: May 4, 2011 3:33 PM

I understand people cheering bin Laden’s death. I understand people being uncomfortable when they see someone celebrating the death of an individual.

It’s all a matter of how close you are to the situation. I’m not an American – when I saw the 9/11 attacks on TV I was no more effected than I was when I saw other horrible tragedies that are routinely shown on my TV screen.

So when I see people cheering a bin Laden’s death it makes me uncomfortable. But had someone close to me been killed by bin Laden I would likely react differently. Had the attack happened in my country or my city I would probably have celebrated as well.

Time is also an issue. Information is also a factor.

There is no easy answer folks. I know most people want one – but it just doesn’t exist.

136. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 3:34 PM

@ all steelers fans

Don’t listen to the jackholes that hate on the Steelers organization due to the inane comments of Rashard. I’m pretty impressed by the fans who have posted.

It’s about the man, not the team he plays for.

137. buc13jcs says: May 4, 2011 3:36 PM

he doesn’t have to apologize for what he said..good PR move in clarifying his patriotism…but he is still a conspiracy idiot..

138. jennstergersburnedretinas says: May 4, 2011 3:38 PM

@ravensfan

I’m with the sentiment that death is not to be celebrated. I take umbrage with the rest of his tweets and subsequent non apology.

139. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 4, 2011 3:40 PM

@Deb

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Now while I disagree with almost everything he said, I have to admit the guy was very nice to share advice to women on how to keep us happy.
    Some women just need a lil help on the more important things on their mens minds. And as long as the lil woman knows which two rooms are most important in the home, then her man will never be hungry, and will go to sleep with a smile on his face and wake up with a smile on his AND her face.

140. fground says: May 4, 2011 3:40 PM

cd-ridge – I liked your comment – but when Mendenhall strives to understand this situation rather than focusing on a game – wouldn’t you say he indeed has his priorities right?

It’s funny that political issues like this pop up on sports blog sites and they always get the biggest comment streams. Because in the end we all care a hell of a lot more about real important issues like terrorism and foreign policy than we do football. They are just so much harder to grasp and take so much more effort than does simple child things like Football. There aren’t any tidy answers in such things as bin Laden and American Foreign policy like there is in Football.

141. prosb4hos says: May 4, 2011 3:45 PM

Mendenhall had just over 15,000 followers the night of the posts, he now has 38,000. If ppl are trying to send a message to him, it should be by unfollowing, not following him.

142. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: May 4, 2011 3:46 PM

@iamtalkingsolistenandlearn

Obvious troll attempt.

143. rad312 says: May 4, 2011 3:49 PM

The apology was scripted, insincere, and completely inadequate.

I would hate it if this guy played for and represented my team.

Perhaps the NFLPA* can shift some of legal funds over for sensitivity training and public communication classes.

It is clear to me that a number of players if left to their devices are self-destructive.

144. granadafan says: May 4, 2011 3:56 PM

“pedsaregoodforsports says: May 4, 2011 3:23 PM
    The idiocy of the American people baffles me. Ive done the research. Either you can dismiss this as crazy OR you can research yourself.”
    —————————————————————————

Pedsaregoodforsports, plenty of people have researched 9/11, even people much much much smarter than you, and they’ve debunked every single one of the wild tin-foiled hat conspiracies the nutters can come up with. The conspiracy nuts have wild ideas not backed up with facts. Steel experts have proven again and again about, how steel becomes brittle and weak at high temperatures. The steel girders did not need to melt, but become weak to the point of collapse. If you and your fellow flat earthers can not figure that out, simple physics, then there’s no helping you.

Watch the videos again. The towers collapsed from the TOP DOWN, not from the bottom where any demolation expert would set charges.

Unbelievable.

145. gtisme says: May 4, 2011 3:58 PM

Nickster31 and maddenprophet et al, what I really find annoying are folks who watch a movie that was originally put forth as fiction, then switched to documentary, and then re-released with some of the original “facts” omitted and I am supposed to watch this and consider it as a cogent argument for the 9-11 “truther” Rosie O’Donnell movement. Then you tell me to “think” and you dont even take the time to question the film itself. For instance your comment on the pentagon, that was the “small hole theory” put forth in the movie right? But that theory was completely false.

Loose Change makes very sloppy mistakes in support of its false claim that a missile, not a plane, hit the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. The video mistakes two different sections of the large hole caused by the airliner for the entire hole and, ironically, features photographs that actually disprove its “small hole” theory.

The plane that hit the Pentagon created an area of severe damage that was approximately 36.6 meters (120 feet) wide, according to The Pentagon Building Performance Report (PDF, 2.4 MB), published by the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Structural Engineering Institute in January 2003 (p. 35).

So here’s the real deal; you want to believe in a conspiracy so you do, and then you tell everybody else that they are foolish when in reality, you are just repeating “facts” from a Michael Moore style
    documentary that twists evidence to make a false point. That is the extent of your “research”.

I’m not saying Mendenhall cant have this opinion and neither do the writers who are jumping all over it. What I AM saying is, in my opinion, Mendenhall is an idiot.

146. burkewood says: May 4, 2011 3:58 PM

Anyone who has ever dealt with the press knows how problematic it is for them to get a story right. Couple that with the gov’t, and well who knows?
    As a whole generation of USA citizens believes in a ‘Magic Bullet'; it is now in the lexicon! I must tread wearily in the criticism of Mr. Mendenhall.

147. kevpft says: May 4, 2011 4:01 PM

“For many, the apology won’t be enough.”

What a load of garbage. This guy doesn’t owe an apology to anyone. Nothing he said suggests one iota of support for bin Laden. Even if it did, this is America and we have freedom of speech.

But it didn’t. Rather, it was more thoughtful than all the rah-rah-USA BS that most news coverage and sports commentary offered.

We should be thanking this guy for offering some thought-provoking ideas – whether or not you agree with him – in the midst of what was otherwise bland uniformity. Too few people, especially in the media and sports worlds, question the status quo. The last thing anyone should do – especially a fairly lazy site like this one – is join a dumb, thoughtless chorus shouting someone down.

148. mk2323 says: May 4, 2011 4:03 PM

Way too many people are getting emotional over what was said. He has a right to his opinion get over it and stop being so soft. It’s a like a world full of B#*ches on here.

149. rangenius says: May 4, 2011 4:05 PM

The towers came down from Planes? Ok doubtful, but ok. Explain building 7 coming down demolition style! It was not hit by a plane.

150. nevin999 says: May 4, 2011 4:05 PM

I love it how Mendenhall says something totally moronic, gets heat for it, is forced to delete his post, and then explains how *WE* misconstrued the steamer that he put on Twitter in the first place.

Hey Mendenhall, go F yourself, buddy boy. You deserve all the heat you got for that post. Maybe next time you’ll STFU and play football, the only thing that makes you worth anything at all.

151. bealeman says: May 4, 2011 4:07 PM

Hey, let it go already! This guy tries to USE his brain. Go pick on the hundreds, no, thousands of brainless athletes out there. He’s obviously much more well-read than many of those posting here; I can ascertain by the language, grammar and pure hatred.

I’m not an expert on 9/11 but I am an expert on working for the DOD, often with a TS-SCI clearance. 29 years of signing silence agreements leads me to believe that anyone working for the US government (at the levels necessary to conspire) have already destined themselves to prison or death should they speak openly about 9/11. There have been, to date, 39 deaths of verified witnesses to 9/11 (and that’s only verified relativity). Trust me, another 10-15 years and our grandkids will be talking about the great 9/11 coverup. “Hey Grandpa! Did you know that Al-Qaida was started by the CIA and continued to be funded by the CIA all the way thru the end of the War on Terror?”

152. cd_ridge says: May 4, 2011 4:10 PM

@fground:

Your right, “priorities” is not quite the right choice of word there, perhaps “area of concern” would have worked better.

Thanks for the feedback.

153. pedsaregoodforsports says: May 4, 2011 4:12 PM

granadafan says:
    May 4, 2011 3:56 PM
    “pedsaregoodforsports says: May 4, 2011 3:23 PM
    —————————————————————————

Unbelievable.

So, where are all YOUR experts that debunk it? Ive listed links to many experts and officials. You say that they are but provide no proof. Again, list your FACTS. IVe got a link to 200+ of those “flatfoots” as you like to call them. But again, you prove my point of spouting of what youve HEARD but have not researched yourself or even have proof of.

And what are you talking about facts? Reread the posts ive put up, all WITH FACTS AND SCIENTIFIC DATA, and links to EXPERT testimony and think again.

154. SRL says: May 4, 2011 4:15 PM

*********************************************

I enjoy PFT Live, it’s really changed how I view the site (literally). If you can convert me, I suspect you can convert anyone.

Something to consider about Rashard Mendenhall’s recent tweets. Before I go on I feel I should emphasise that I completely disagree with him on the whole WTC 9/11 conspiracy theory crap. I also feel like the world is a hell of a lot safer without Osama Bin laden, but what I or anyone thinks doesn’t really matter… I also think that the immediate reaction to any Mendenhall-Tillman comparison is to reject it, but even if their deeds don’t match up, their spirit is closer than I think most people realise.

Pat Tillman was not only a staunch patriot, but a man who was prepared to question what he was told and not take things at face value. We rightly laud Tillman because he was a heroic figure and a symbol of the sacrifice people were prepared to make in the wake of 9/11, but we should never ignore or forget the aspects of his character that truly made him great, his humanity, his intelligence and his compassion. When he saw how the public and soldiers of America were being misled by those in charge, he became uncomfortable with it and I think there is a hell of a lot of doubt about whether Pat paid for his lack of discretion on that matter with his life. His spirit of

Now, Rashard Mendenhall is no Pat Tillman on any level, but I feel the views he has aired are not dissimilar in spirit to those that Tillman expressed before his untimely death. Maybe you can see the parallels in the sense of questioning the authorities when he believed there was a question to answer, and not confusing patriotism with blind faith. Tillman viewed the war on Iraq as illegal, despite being in what you might call a ‘position of responsibility’ by being a high profile soldier. You can see, I’m sure, if you disassociate some of the more emotive parts of the Tillman story, how he may very well have approved of Mendenhall’s desire not to cheer someone’s death or to express his opinion even if it may not be what everyone wants to hear. Don’t forget that Tillman was planning to meet with Noam Chomsky before he died, he’d read the qu’ran and the bible and decided neither was right. This was a man prepared to question the actions he was committing on behalf of his people.

Sometimes it’s easy to say that Rashard Mendenhall is an idiot, but it would be massively hypocritical to do so. The man believes in something, he doesn’t deserve to be castigated or treated like an imbecile for promoting an opinion that is relatively widespread even in America. This isn’t a guy in a strip club inviting trouble, this is a guy exercising his freedom of speech.

The day someone can’t express a political opinion simply because a lot of people will disagree, that’s the day Pat Tillman’s death was in vain.

155. Mr. Super-Cool Awesome says: May 4, 2011 4:17 PM

This man has the right to speak his opinion. An opinion that is shared by many other Americans. You don’t agree with him, you have that right also.

This man did not resort to the petty name-calling that some of you classless people have resorted to.

Speak your mind Rashard. Some of us have actually made REAL sacrifices for you to have that right.

Signed,

A PROUD U.S. Navy Veteran

156. pigbladder says: May 4, 2011 4:17 PM

personally, i understand what mendenhall is saying, as i too was horrified to see people dancing in the streets about this person’s death. i thought that americans had more class than those in other countries. some of us were apalled to see them celebrating 9/11.

what is wrong with the act of questioning your government?

also, i think that the guy is intellingent enough to have written his own apology, and that many here show a tendency to be close minded to someone’s individuality. what, because he is a football player he has got to be more dumb than yourself?
    he started the discussion and he took the criticism head on, and apologized for any hurt he may have caused, i see that as a man stepping up, not just lip service.

157. pedsaregoodforsports says: May 4, 2011 4:26 PM

pedsaregoodforsports says:
    May 4, 2011 4:12 PM
    granadafan says:
    May 4, 2011 3:56 PM
    “pedsaregoodforsports says: May 4, 2011 3:23 PM
    —————————————————————————

Unbelievable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

158. mikevee1 says: May 4, 2011 4:36 PM

This is why athletes should be forced to have a degree before they can play professionally. Geez, the education was free anyway.

159. donnyscott says: May 4, 2011 4:42 PM

I agree with some of these recent posts. That certainly did not sound like a scripted apology and from reading his recent comments he sounds like a very thoughtful person. I don’t agree with his conspiracy theories but I too was a bit troubled by the celebrations. How many people who have been critical can quote scripture to back up their opinions.

160. Deb says: May 4, 2011 4:45 PM

@iamtalking …

Sigh … you are so predictably one-track.

If it takes Rashard Mendenhall to remind your lil woman what a man wants … well, bless your heart. Maybe if you thought more about her needs, she’d think more about yours. And the kitchen is more fun when both are cooking …

161. frankvzappa says: May 4, 2011 4:48 PM

coward, stick to the truth, and for the record the gov killed Tillman to stop him from returning and telling americans that the real terrorists are all in Washington

162. flavordave says: May 4, 2011 4:50 PM

Thank You Rashards agent. You wrote a nice apology.

163. pedsaregoodforsports says: May 4, 2011 4:54 PM

Wow, all the links and scientific data i ahve posted has vanished.

164. wrw0101 says: May 4, 2011 4:55 PM

It is too bad for the Steelers this ignorant football player can’t run on the field as fast as he can backpedal.

165. dave1961 says: May 4, 2011 5:01 PM

Dan Rooney Ambassador of Ireland…How does he explain a guy like this being on his team to the world…not too mention, to the families of flight 93 that gave their lives to save other Americans by overtaking the hijackers and bringing the plane down in PA…. Let him go play football in Pakistan….. Rooney’s got to do something in regards to this.

166. sports_dude says: May 4, 2011 5:03 PM

Hope Pitt doesn’t play the Jets or Giants this year…Rashard is in for beating on the grid iron!!

167. henryd3rd says: May 4, 2011 5:12 PM

Someone ought to tell Rashard Mendenhall that the closest major city where that plane crashed on 9-11 in PA was Pittsburgh. I wonder would he have been sprouting off this crap had he lost a loved one on 9-11? Twitter ain’t for everyone. I can foresee the NFL outlawing for player under contract or at the very least fining players when they go over the line. Mr. Goodell are you listening.

168. selits says: May 4, 2011 5:13 PM

Its sad how people get upset so easily.

He honestly really said nothing wrong…
    Why do we cheer death? I’m not debating whether or not he deserved to be killed because he did do horrible things… but why get happy over death? That makes you no better then Osama and people like him. Death isn’t even a punishment. He got the easy way out.

Why does it matter if he believes the WTC couldn’t have been taken down by just a plane? Why do people let something somebody says effect them so much? Grow up. Things are only offensive if you let them be offensive. If you don’t like what somebody has to say.. then don’t listen to what they say.

169. avermaver says: May 4, 2011 5:16 PM

this is what happens when people try to take athletes seriously, look at what this guy does for a living, why would anyone give a damn about his opinion? Oh right because he’s 1000% overpaid like a lot of other professional athletes in the US due to there being so much revenue in watching people play games, maybe that is the problem

170. rad312 says: May 4, 2011 5:18 PM

bealeman if you in fact work for the DOD then I doubt that you would actually be talking about or so flippantly referencing it. In my life’s experience when one refers to themselves as an ‘expert’ they are generally far from it….

We would all agree that we place great value on freedom of speak, however an equal level of value is placed on discretion.

You may think “working for the DOD for 29 years” has been a waste of your truly expert abilities however I am betting that you have stopped short of telling her employers…..further you may think or even know that your wife’s backside to be fat in those jeans….but once again I am betting that you hold back your opinion…..

Mendenhall made a conscious decision to post his thoughts/comments on Twitter and a large number of folks raised issue bordering on contempt with his thoughts/comments.

I would have had more respect for him by sticking to his beliefs (though unpopular) instead of the poor excuse of an apology that was offered up.

In reality he is another guy with an opinion and we all know the old saying ‘opinions are just like…..’ however in this case he isn’t just another guy he is professional football player in media spotlight who made the conscious decision to share his thoughts/beliefs on a social media forum……

Mendenhall gets all that he deserves…..

171. brucef55 says: May 4, 2011 5:25 PM

sorry but I disagree with most comments here
    he has a right to his beliefs and opinions which are not sooooo out of the mainstream. Osama was a monster but celebrating in the streets? Come on…we as Americans should show more class than that. We take issue when people celebrate our losses. He obviously believes in a 911 inside job and that also is not too far out of the mainstream. There are plenty of documentaries out there (loose change, The Zeitgeist movie, Farenheit 911) to name a few that take up the same thesis. There are those that take authority as the truth and those that take truth as the authority. It is when we stop questioning and seeking the truth that we have truly lost our way

172. jpmelon says: May 4, 2011 5:46 PM

Anyone who has read his other posts on twitter will immediately recognize that Rashard didn’t write that.

173. goombar2 says: May 4, 2011 5:49 PM

Why do the liberal loonies get so much time to highlight their stupidity? And don’t go thinking I’m Mr. Conservative… I’m a pretty liberal white man and proud of it.

First off, he has every right to not celebrate for whatever reason. This is America after all. He even has a right to tell us why he’s not going to celebrate. Cool.

Where his rights turned to drawing the curtain back and showing just how stupid he is happened when he told his moral superiority over the rest of us. When he told us we were celebrating death… None of it true; all of it elitist.

I celebrated the finality of justice, a new era post fear mongering, and perhaps the true beginning of the end of Al Queda. I did not celebrate an individuals death, but more a brighter future that this justice would bring. But thanks Rashard for telling me what I was doing and thinking.

You know, there are pictures of folks celebrating and kissing after Japan surrendered… Maybe those folks were just celebrating 100 thousand people being killed in a nuke blast… Maybe they’re blood thirsty jerks… Or maybe, just maybe they were celebrating the end of their friends dying and a safer world…

All this super idiot liberalism crap says a lot more about those saying it than it does about those it’s aimed at.

And I don’t even want to touch the tin foil hat stupidity.

174. nofunleague says: May 4, 2011 5:50 PM

He’s from Pittsburgh it’s to be expected

175. wakiash says: May 4, 2011 6:00 PM

Wonder who wrote his apology? Good thing he has athletic ability, otherwise he would be on welfare, or working toward his GED.

176. nofunleague says: May 4, 2011 6:04 PM

Right on. Let’s Just call it a ….Wake. Yeah a wake.

177. 2ndaryinsanity says: May 4, 2011 6:05 PM

Mendenhall attempting to “clarify” his earier comments regarding the celebration of Osama’s death by explaining it goes against his religious beliefs is pretty ironic… considering some of his previous Tweets made crude references to sex. Guess Mendenhall picks & chooses when he wants to act in a Christian manner?? I take offense to having such an obvious hypocrite judge others. Maybe he should have his own moral compass repaired before he attempts to wave the banner of Christianity.

178. emperor83 says: May 4, 2011 6:28 PM

as for the tweet, spoken like a true Steeler…

179. nickster31 says: May 4, 2011 6:32 PM

gtisme says:

Then where was the wreckage of the plane? Why was the grass in front of that hole not on fire or singed, or for that matter, torn up?

You are looking at the video AFTER the top floor of the Pentagon fell. Had a plane THAT SIZE hit it, it would have been knocked IN not DOWN.

Again, simply look at the facts. I never said Bin Laden had NOTHING to do with it. I believe he was involved. I am not ignorant enough to honestly believe that a plane, traveling at that speed, would turn straight literally inches from the ground (physically impossible) and go straight into the building. No damage to the ground in front of it, and no wreckage on the ground.

Again, when JFK was killed, everyone believed the government had nothing to do with it. Here we are now, and more than half the country believes that the story the government is telling us is not true.

180. greggoestoschool says: May 4, 2011 6:35 PM

Deserved to die yes, but deserved to be shot unarmed? If people didn’t rush to judgement they would see he has several good points about justice and truth.

181. steelerskicktheravens says: May 4, 2011 6:40 PM

apology accepted!

182. Deb says: May 4, 2011 7:09 PM

@pedsaregoodforsports …

PFT’s moderators automatically delete links to other sites. It’s not a conspiracy …

@nofunleague …

Actually, Mendenhall is from Illinois, not Pittsburgh. And plenty of people representing a lot of teams have echoed his views, while plenty of Steelers fans and the organization have condemned them. Stop being an ass … if that’s possible.

183. Deb says: May 4, 2011 7:43 PM

@greggoestoschool …

You’re concerned that Osama bin Laden was unarmed?

Arguments can be made that a lot of groups from the Irish Republican Army to the Palestinian Liberation Organization were fighting invading armies. But bin Laden was fighting how people think–all people around the world who think differently than he did. His enemies were communists as well as capitalists, moderate Muslims as well as Christians and Jews, Russians and Arabs as well as Americans and British. And any female over the age of 10 who wanted to be something other than a shrouded penis receptacle. He murdered thousands of innocents, destroyed families, destabilized nations, and poisoned the minds of children that he persuaded to act as human bombs.

The word terrorist is overused and often exploited by governments no better than the people they label. But that man was a terrorist. He was wanted dead or alive. And his death was justified regardless of the circumstances. He chose to live by violence. He died as he lived. Now God will judge his soul.

184. Deb says: May 4, 2011 7:49 PM

@nickster31 …

Not debating the JFK assassination, but bear in mind that at one time all the world believed the earth was flat. The number of people who buy into something does not determine whether it’s true.

185. ladystpaul says: May 4, 2011 9:00 PM

@dave1961

“…Dan Rooney Ambassador of Ireland…How does he explain a guy like this being on his team to the world…”

*****

By explaining that citizens of the United States are guaranteed the right to free speech.

Having said that, we are not guaranteed the right to popularity of our free speech.

As my mother used to say, you can think whatever you want, but once you say it, you own it.

186. deconjonesbitchslap says: May 4, 2011 10:43 PM

NBC has more 9-11 truthers than any blog out there. Lawarance O’Donnell said the US “over reacted” to 9-11. i can’t believe he has an audience.

187. madeline2009 says: May 4, 2011 11:57 PM

I support Mendenhall’s right to say what he feels. I, too, think it is sad that a man was murdered in front of his child all in the name of getting even.I also abhor the comic book ’24’ defenses of killing a man who has all but become irrelevant.

Grow up people. You support your government going into ANY country to hunt down their enemies then welcome to a country without boundaries. Those boundaries are quickly being removed for your personal rights also.

Most of the people who are all for the gore and kill would not even consider wearing a uniform, doing the real work that is asked. Put up or shut up.

Most of us could not care one way or another. He’s dead. You got your revenge.

188. bungals4life says: May 5, 2011 8:04 AM

instead of attacking the guy for voicing his opinion, how about you all investigate whether he is wrong or not…….all I hear in these comments is hate in the name of patriotism. Doesn’t that sound a little retarded? You love your country so you hate anyone who questions popular opinion. I bet you all believe their is a picture too, cause Obama TOLD you their was one. Your government never gives you truth, just official statements that they will never have to justify to anyone cause your all too busy hating on a FOOTBALL player for his opinion on a topic that you all should be more aware of. Who cares what a football player’s political opinion is anyways. You trust a government that allows bankers to ruin your economy, then gives them bailouts and the american citizens nothing and spend all day hating anyone who talks bad about it. Don’t Americans realize you have one of the most corrupt gov’ts on earth? Why defend them? The great American people are the country, not your professional liars in Washington

189. bealeman says: May 5, 2011 8:53 AM

Nicely put bungals. How many fatal heart attacks and suicides does it take. So many people ‘in the know’ who have a conscience and intend on exercising their rights as citizens end up with the official coroner’s cause of death mentioned above. Of course, local law enforcement never seem to investigate high-profile deaths; always the FBI. Our government lies so openly these days that people (the media) are used to it. Those that question are called names and marginalized or ridiculed. Rooney is nothing more than a global corporatist in bed with our runaway behemoth US Gov’t. Obviously he’s appalled by Mendenhall’s comments.

190. bungals4life says: May 5, 2011 9:11 AM

Nice comment Bealeman….Most of the owners are heavily intertwined with gov’t officials, so of course they are going to hate what Mendenhall said. Whether he was right or not is for each person to decide based on FACTS, not on one-liners that the gov’t gives you. Why would you reprimand a football player for his political opinion? Would you reprimand a senator for his football opinion? Its the same thing. Please people think before you hate

191. Deb says: May 5, 2011 11:58 AM

@madeline2009 …

You have the right to your opinion, no matter how childish and uninformed. I’m a committed liberal. But recognizing that people in government sometimes use tragic situations to their own advantage and having higher hopes for humankind doesn’t mean we can pretend no monsters roam the countryside. It’s obvious that you’ve never bothered to learn anything about Al Qaeda or bin Laden or his past or current relevance. Nor do you have the wisdom to grasp the difference between a murder and a military action.

War is hell, little girl, which I’ve learned firsthand. Ignoring the killers doesn’t make them disappear. I don’t celebrate his death but recognize it was necessary and the culmination of a journey he freely chose to undertake. The one sure result will be that he will no longer murder, maim, or poison minds. That matters.

Incidentally … I don’t recognize your username. This is a football blog, so I assume you’re a football fan who visits regularly to comment on football issues. Or are you just trolling sites to moralize on something beyond your comprehension? Well, you’ve made your speech. At least now thanks to others’ sacrifices, you won’t mourn loved ones because of acts designed and carried out by this evil man.

192. bcgreg says: May 5, 2011 11:27 PM

The killing of Bin Laden wasn’t murder. It was war!

193. polythemus says: May 8, 2011 11:06 PM

Mendenhall joins his fellow 911 moonbats Charlie Sheen, Jesse Ventura, Janeane Garofalo, Sean Penn, Babs and hubby Streisand, Rosie O’Donnell, Alex Jones, David Ray Griffin, etc. While Champion may have dropped Rashard, he can always get a gig shilling MUFON apparel.

Why do some people believe the 1st Amendment guarantees protection from ridicule along with freedom of speech?

194. monsterscream says: May 11, 2011 10:43 AM