Tashard Choice causes a stir with tweet after bin Laden’s death

Choice_Tashard

Like his fellow NFL running back Rashard Mendenhall, Tashard Choice of the Cowboys got some attention this week for a tweet related to the death of Osama bin Laden. Unlike Mendenhall, Choice quickly apologized.

It all started when Choice settled in to watch To Catch a Predator on CNBC and was disappointed when he saw that the program had been preempted.

No to catch a predator tonight. Not cool cnbc,” Choice wrote on Twitter.

However, once Choice realized why CNBC wasn’t showing To Catch a Predator, he quickly offered an apology of sorts.

“My bad my tweet people osama bin laden being dead is better news,” Choice tweeted, following it with a reference to a Michael Jackson lyric about making the world a better place.

With that, Choice was back to tweeting about To Catch a Predator, including a message to the show’s host, Chris Hansen, telling him, “I just wanna say u are the best damn reporter I ever seen. I love how ask questions and you work. Hope you are a cowboy fan.”

The story wasn’t over there, though. Some media outlets, including the Dallas Morning News, picked up on Choice’s tweets. Choice then tweeted again to question why the newspaper thought his tweets were newsworthy.

That’s crazy they would put that in this newspaper cause I didn’t even know what happen till my tweet people told. Unbelievable,” Choice wrote.

The lesson for Choice, and really for everyone, is that when you tweet something, it’s out there for everyone to see, and you’ll have no control over what others do with it. Choice may think it’s crazy that a newspaper would pick up his idle musing about not being able to watch his favorite TV show, but that’s the reality of the world today.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
55 Responses to “Tashard Choice causes a stir with tweet after bin Laden’s death”
  1. friendlylittletrees says: May 4, 2011 6:22 AM

Who cares?! These guys weren’t drafted for their knowledge of international affairs.

2. nflsucker says: May 4, 2011 6:32 AM

His question is valid. Why is this newsworthy?

3. kingbeason52 says: May 4, 2011 6:32 AM

Twitter is gay

4. jc1958cool says: May 4, 2011 6:32 AM

no brains! must be a cowboy, just like jerry

5. o0omorriso0o says: May 4, 2011 6:39 AM

6. souldogdave says: May 4, 2011 6:40 AM

Twitter is evil.

7. jasku880 says: May 4, 2011 6:42 AM

Do these NFL players leave their brain and commen sense in college as soon as they get drafted???

8. t1mmy10 says: May 4, 2011 6:56 AM

9. outlawjerseywhales says: May 4, 2011 6:56 AM

You can’t spell Tashard without the T-A-R-D.

10. terrellochouno says: May 4, 2011 6:56 AM

This seems more like an honest mistake than anything. I’m absolutely certain Choice meant nothing by it, & wasn’t simply trying to get attention like Mendenhall.

11. stangz11 says: May 4, 2011 6:57 AM

I have no problem with it. All he did was make an honest mistake! Geez. If he had said that 9-11 was a conspiracy then I would have been pissed off.

12. randy33872 says: May 4, 2011 7:00 AM

t1mmy10 says:
    May 4, 2011 6:56 AM
    Choice didn’t do anything wrong, unlike mendenhall. And FYI I’m a steelers fan and I hate the cowboys. Right on ! Except I hate the Steelers and the Cowboys alike ! Go Bucs !! USA ! USA! USA !!!

13. hoosierdore says: May 4, 2011 7:03 AM

o0omorriso0o,

We are not celebrating the death of a man. We’re celebrating the death of a monster who planned the death of thousands of innocent men and women. Good riddance.

14. otistaylor89 says: May 4, 2011 7:09 AM

The boy is crazy – Chris Hansen isn’t even in the Top 10 of reporters.

John Henson and John Anderson from “Wipeout” are clearly 1 and 1A…..

15. chapnastier says: May 4, 2011 7:09 AM

Um I am not seeing what he did wrong here. He said nothing controversial about the death of bin Laden and in no way should his comment be even close to the same level as Mendenhall. This is just some Cowboy hate to stir up some hits. And it worked.

16. piemasteruk says: May 4, 2011 7:09 AM

What a weird thing for the media to find newsworthy

17. zappa69 says: May 4, 2011 7:13 AM

I’m not a Cowboy’s fan in the least. I can’t believe the guy is getting blasted for tweeting “No to catch a predator tonight, Not cool cnbc”. How is this anywhere near what Rashard said, it’s not. Every channel has Bin Laden playing 24-7 and he just wants to relax and watch a favorite show. I watched the hockey game the other night instead of Bin Laden news. Uh-oh I must be a radical.

18. gasolinejt says: May 4, 2011 7:30 AM

I think the most embarrassing thing is that Tashard Choice likes Chris Hansen so much.

19. usdiveteam says: May 4, 2011 7:30 AM

“My bad my tweet people osama bin laden being dead is better news,”
    I dont see where he said anything wrong!!!

20. gpete1962 says: May 4, 2011 7:33 AM

t1mmy10 says: May 4, 2011 6:56 AM

———————————————–

I second that, and I’m a giant fan

21. Topher says: May 4, 2011 7:33 AM

If we don’t get normal football soon my head may explode from all this garbage.

22. pioliforprez says: May 4, 2011 7:34 AM

rashard…tashard….im sensing a pattern here

23. jiato says: May 4, 2011 7:44 AM

It was an honest mistake, which he immediately corrected. This is not a story.

In his defense, though, To Catch a Predator is a sweet show.

24. texline1 says: May 4, 2011 7:46 AM

If you don’t want people in your business, don’t put your business out there. It’s as simple as that. When you tweet, it becomes public. Man. How are these guys making it out of high school , let alone college?

25. duanethomas says: May 4, 2011 7:46 AM

What’s the big deal? A mistake that he caught and apologized for, where’s the story?

26. tatum064 says: May 4, 2011 7:49 AM

Havent taken Freedom of Tweet yet, but they’re working on it. Right on ..make your own CHOICE!

27. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 7:50 AM

The lesson for Choice, and really for everyone, is that when the media jumps on something like this, you know they’re desperate.

28. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 7:53 AM

outlawjerseywhales says: May 4, 2011 6:56 AM

You can’t spell Tashard without the T-A-R-D.

—————————————————-

You can’t spell “outlawjerseywhales” without the A-S-S-H-O-L-E, either.

29. ravenution says: May 4, 2011 7:57 AM

U guys crack me up. Always talking of how dumb these football players are and I know its racially motivated. The truth is these “dummies” make more in one game than u guys combined. They have a purpose in life while u dont. They are productive citizens while u waste your life on a messageboard calling them dummirs. No one cares what u think.

30. mangoldbond says: May 4, 2011 7:57 AM

“Tashard, why don’t you take a seat right over there.

You wanna tell me why your tweeting these things?”

31. halasfan says: May 4, 2011 8:10 AM

So does he actually like the show or was he looking for pointers on not getting caught???

If it is the latter here are a couple more for you; always check you hookers Driver License, if you want to carry a handgun use a holster, and don’t have you off duty police officer friends help you corner a drunk girl in a bathroom. Well I guess the third option would be ok, nothing bad happened to Ben and he went to the SuperBowl.

32. kevinfromphilly says: May 4, 2011 8:12 AM

Yeah, guess I gotta agree that Choice’s statement (Choice words?) weren’t that bad, and God knows I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone. On the other hand, everybody knows that Joey Greco is the best reporter on TV.

33. theytukrjobs says: May 4, 2011 8:20 AM

There is nothing wrong with what Choice “tweeted”. Our media is just as guilty as the players when they blow things up into absurdity. Morons create a demand for moronic news.

34. toledoohoh says: May 4, 2011 8:22 AM

Is this a joke?

TWO places found this to be a newsworthy story?

Thanks for teaching us a valuable life lesson, Michael David Smith.

35. colinito says: May 4, 2011 8:28 AM

no the lesson is that the media are vampires and they will twist anything to make themselves $

36. dccowboy says: May 4, 2011 8:31 AM

“stangz11 says: May 4, 2011 6:57 AM

He didn’t even make a mistake.

He tweeted something because his favorite show wasn’t on. He didn’t know about bin Laden at the time of that tweet. Then, he found out it wasn’t on because bin Laden had been ghosted. He then tweeted ‘My Bad, Bin Laden’s death is better news.”
    How is any of that ‘a mistake’?

This site is just desperate to publish anti-Cowboys articles because they know they get 900 gazillion clicks for advertisers when they do. So they’ve fallen to trying to invent controversies for the Cowboys haters to feed on.

37. TxGrown says: May 4, 2011 8:42 AM

“o0omorriso0o says: May 4, 2011 6:39 AM

while i sure as heck wont be weeping for the bastard. I find it sad that so many celebrate “anyones” death so much…”
    ==================================================
    This wasn’t just “anyone”….stupid.

38. savocabol1 says: May 4, 2011 8:43 AM

Please tell us what he did wrong? I see nothing bad going on here. You wrote a large article to tell us that Tashard gets his news from Twitter? Wow.

39. dequan81 says: May 4, 2011 8:43 AM

I follow Choice and those tweets were within seconds. I was watching Family Guy and falling asleep when my girl sent me the text. Honest mistake. But leave it to PFT to compare him to Mendenhall, which are two completely different situations. Determined to be the tabloid of Football, PFT?

40. zoxitic says: May 4, 2011 8:48 AM

When I read the headline I thought for a second he may have wanted his autograph.

41. zaggs says: May 4, 2011 8:50 AM

Being a Giants fan, who gives a rip? He wanted his show on, when the shows were interrupted no one knew for sure what the news was.

42. damnsureis says: May 4, 2011 8:56 AM

On the flipside, Mark Sanchez has another week before his career tanks.

43. rufio1984 says: May 4, 2011 9:15 AM

his*

…sorry

44. crumpledstiltskin says: May 4, 2011 9:16 AM

Just. Stop. Now. Please.

45. sterilizecromartie says: May 4, 2011 9:23 AM

Wait, what?? What did you do wrong?

I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything. I am seriously just kind of confused as to where he tweeted something offensive or anything.

Can someone explain this to me… preferably much clearer than MDS did?

46. 1bigtex says: May 4, 2011 9:48 AM

Ah yes, more stellar reporting from Michael David Smith. Look MDS ( the initials for the disease that seems to have infected your brain), yesterday you ragged on Tony Romo for playing golf when he should have been organizing team workouts. Of course, unbeknownst to you (what a shock), He was organizing team workouts.

So now we have a guy who turns on the TV expecting to see his regularly scheduled program. It’s not there and he instantly reacts. Then, when he realizes WHY it’s not there, he instantly reacts again. It’s like “Hey where’s my show? Oh wait bin Laden’s dead.”

Did any of you guys get a journalism degree? If so, was it from TMZ University?

47. philriverslovespenis says: May 4, 2011 10:05 AM

o0omorriso0o says:
    May 4, 2011 6:39 AM
    ————————————————–
    I really hope your not an American. If you are, you just disgraced every poor soul that was involved in the worst attack on American soil in history. While I’m not an advocate of celebrating death, there are definitely a few exceptions. Although the number of lives lost are not parallel, Osama Bin Laden is on the same plane as Hitler and Stalin. I hope his death is celebrated for years. I also personally believe you should move to Pakistan, where losers like you are accepted.

48. blitzburghgator says: May 4, 2011 10:07 AM

I thought that show got cancelled because of law suits?

49. colinsnooks says: May 4, 2011 10:20 AM

Someday Chris Hansen will be right in the middle of questioning one of the perverts, and Choice will run in with a glove for him to sign.

50. melonnhead says: May 4, 2011 10:35 AM

The funniest part of all of this is that the Cowboys’ third string RB’s uncontroversial tweets have caused roughly the same amount of stir as the Steelers’ starting RB’s highly controversial tweets.

51. dgforreal says: May 4, 2011 10:50 AM

Tweet people? Can we call them twits for short?

52. outlawjerseywhales says: May 4, 2011 5:45 PM

melonnhead says:
    May 4, 2011 7:53 AM
    outlawjerseywhales says: May 4, 2011 6:56 AM

You can’t spell Tashard without the T-A-R-D.

—————————————————-

You can’t spell “outlawjerseywhales” without the A-S-S-H-O-L-E, either.

————————————————–
    melonnhead…
    Appropriate screen name!

53. toiletking says: May 4, 2011 7:15 PM

Not only is Chris Hansen but also all of his guests on the show are Cowboy fans.

54. hendeeze says: May 4, 2011 11:34 PM

this is why print news reporters are losing their jobs. You dont tell me anything I dont already know, or care to know, this being the latter. Talk about making a mountian out of a mole hill.

This is the one time im sticking up for a cowgirl

55. milesrunner262 says: May 5, 2011 1:34 PM

I follow him on twitter and I can say that the man loves To Catch a Predator. I can’t remember how many times he’s tweeted about it!!

I can attest to being upset any time something interrupts my favorite shows. Especially weather reports…”Just breaking in during the most important part of your show to tell you it’s still raining out your window!!” Duh!! (Before some bored reporter picks up on this, tornado & hurricane coverage are exceptions)