Packers turned down hometown discount, Cullen Jenkins expects to go

Detroit Lions v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

After seven years on the Packers’ defensive line, Cullen Jenkins assumes he’ll sign elsewhere in free agency.

Jenkins repeated Wednesday what he has previously said, that he wanted to stay in Green Bay enough that he offered last year to take less money to stay with the Packers than he thought he could make in free agency, but the Packers weren’t interested.

“Heading into last year, I’ve always been up there and always been a Packer, and I wanted to stay a Packer,” Jenkins said, per Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com. “So we approached the team and wanted to get some type of security, some type of longer-term deal before the season so I would know I would be there. It wasn’t about money, it was about security, about trying to see if we could work something out.”

When asked if he would have given the Packers a hometown discount, Jenkins said, “Yeah. That was the thought then. I knew in going to them, I know Green Bay, I know the market, I know how they handle business, and the thought was if we could get something reasonable worked out, I knew I would take less than what I could’ve gotten in free agency. But they never approached me with anything and never got any type of negotiations going. It’s just how the business is. They had a lot of younger guys and felt they could move forward in that direction.”

So Jenkins expects to sign with another team, whenever free agents are allowed to sign with teams. He may not have to move his family too far, as the Bears are thought to be interested.

Permalink 67 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
67 Responses to “Packers turned down hometown discount, Cullen Jenkins expects to go”
  1. dbellina says: May 5, 2011 4:29 PM

Welcome to Minnesota.

2. bluestree says: May 5, 2011 4:31 PM

Cullen Jenkins has been a great Packer player, and he’ll always have a lot of fans in Green Bay. It’s really about durability concerns. I’m glad he’ll be able to get good money from somebody else, and wish him the very best. But like with Kampy, Ted will sooner cut them a year too soon than a year too late.

3. jimmysee says: May 5, 2011 4:31 PM

Cullen is a good guy and I wish him great success!

(except when he plays the Packers)

4. thehatefulnerd says: May 5, 2011 4:32 PM

Jenkins is a great player. But he’s 30 now, and even when he’s healthy he’s actually just “playing through injuries.”
    He’s worth the money though. Someone will pay him.

5. helloplayername says: May 5, 2011 4:33 PM

I think everyone’s jumping the shark here.

The Packers want to wait and see how things will work with the cap and all of that. Once they find that out, and if Jenkins is still interested, there’s a good chance he’ll remain a Packer if he’ll still offer the hometown discount.

6. Mr. Super-Cool Awesome says: May 5, 2011 4:41 PM

Dallas has a couple vacancies. Might as well sign with us and win back to back Super Bowls.

7. thephantomstranger says: May 5, 2011 4:47 PM

Did you hear that, Jimmy? The Bears are interested. Not the Vikings. We don’t want your leftovers, so don’t bother posting your insipid remarks.

8. smoothjimmyapollo says: May 5, 2011 4:47 PM

Thompson seems to be a pretty good judge on when to let a player go (Rivera, Green, Kampman, Harris,). At times, he’s let guys go with a good year (Favre) or a few good years remaining (Sharper), but he’s right more often than not. Jenkins is 30 and has missed 17 games over the past 3 seasons. If they resign him for say a 4-year deal, how many of those years will he be productive or available? So, thanks, Cullen. See you in 10 years for the XLV championship team reunion.

9. 2manyidiotfans says: May 5, 2011 4:51 PM

The way the draft fell – GB not getting much help on the D-line (although they had a great “value” draft) may entertain a deal with Jenkins once the dust settles. Jolly is gone, J Harrell isn’t coming back AGAIN. Neal may not be healed up enough to start the season…. CJW is still young and developing along with Wynn… GB is truly thin here… they may have to work out a deal after all.. Just sayin’.

10. purpleguy says: May 5, 2011 4:54 PM

The guy’s pretty good in the 3-4, and you’d think with the hometown discount he’d be worth re-signing. Maybe Ted is waiting to see how the CBA mess turns out.

11. leviticus268 says: May 5, 2011 5:00 PM

@Mr. Super-Cool Awesome

LOLOLOLOLOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

Yeah, right.

12. pervyharvin says: May 5, 2011 5:00 PM

13. ppabich says: May 5, 2011 5:06 PM

remember if he leaves, and plays well elsewhere, the packers will get a compensation pick in the 3 or 4 round. If they feel Neal isn’t a long term injury risk, then they have the replacement, and compensation for Jenkins. Although I would like to see him back, it seems reasonable to let him go.

14. packerbacker12 says: May 5, 2011 5:10 PM

Cullen Jenkins has been underrated for quite some time now. It sucks he isn’t coming back because he has always been one of my favorite Packers.

15. firethorn1001 says: May 5, 2011 5:26 PM

‘Might as well sign with us and win back to back Super Bowls.’

Not sure why Dallas would sign him just to trade him to a contending team mid-season next year. Seems odd.

16. semperfi24 says: May 5, 2011 5:30 PM

Jets and Patriots come to mind…

17. spawnsacs says: May 5, 2011 5:31 PM

The article doesn’t say what the hometown discount was…..it could have been Jenkins wanted $10 million/year instead of his agents projected $12 million/year.

Either way, too much money for a guy who has missed 17 games in the last 3 years….and is 30 years old.

18. mvp43 says: May 5, 2011 5:31 PM

One thing for sure about Uncle Teddy is that he won’t over pay for a 30 yr old player regardless of how bad he wants to stay. He just finished up a 4 yr, 16mil contract in which he missed to what amounts to an entire season due to injury. I just think that Ted is wainting for free agency to set a value. If he can sign him to a similar deal, he probably will.

19. packerfan12 says: May 5, 2011 5:37 PM

Cullen Jenkins is a good guy, and he’ll get his money, we could use more depth at d-line, but we have Mike Neal coming back, and I honestly think that CJ Wilson is going to be pretty good, I wish we would have spent a higher draft pick on a d-linemen, rather than Lawrence Guy, but I think that the Packers could maybe still sign Cullen (doubtful of that), but regardless, I think we’re still going to have a team that’s going to be competing for a superbowl.

20. tangysizzl says: May 5, 2011 5:42 PM

I have been and will always be a big Cullen Jenkins fan (unless he signs within the division). I can’t believe he was an undrafted FA, thats crazy.

Now if Thompson lets him leave in free agency and im not saying he will, he can probably expect to see at least a 5th round comp pick for him in return. I expect it would be a 4th like he got for Kampman but one never knows.

Add in the other potential FA losses(B Jackson, J Jones and Darren Colledge and Thompson will most likely get himself 4 comp picks for the 2012 draft because he never signs anyone elses FAs.

That of course assumes the next CBA includes compensatory picks, or a draft for that matter.

21. gregjennings85 says: May 5, 2011 5:56 PM

“…he offered last year to take less money to stay with the Packers than he thought he could make in free agency…”

Ummmm…that is definitely the issue. The market is the market. We’ll see if he still gives us the same discount once free agency opens.

Regardless, Cullen is pure class, one of the best UDFAs in Packers history, and is still a legit 3-technique as a 4-3 DT.

I doubt he’ll go to the Bears. I know they don’t run the 4-3, but I could see him heading to New York to play with his brother.

I might be way off, but Stephen Paea is a longterm NT prospect. I wouldn’t be surprised if Chicago is looking at the value many of their players could have (Urlacher/Briggs at OLB) with a scheme switch.

22. kennyrogerschicken says: May 5, 2011 6:09 PM

pervyharvin -

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thanks perv, I needed that.

23. acanniv says: May 5, 2011 6:16 PM

“Hello Mr. Jenkins? John Elway here….”

24. leroysbutler says: May 5, 2011 6:35 PM

Really pervy, you’re already starting? There may not even be football next year. And a Ponder led power offense? I figured you for roids but not the kind of drugs that would make you that delusional.

I understand you trashing the Pack – it’s what you do. But since Favre’s interception in the NFCCG shouldn’t you back off and lay in the weeds until the Vikes are actually good again. Then you can tout the exploits of your Super Bowl Title-less team. At least if you want any credibility.

25. ShimSham says: May 5, 2011 6:36 PM

mvp43 says: – “One thing for sure about Uncle Teddy is that he won’t over pay for a 30 yr old player regardless of how bad he wants to stay. ” ——–

Ask Chad Clifton and Charles Woodson about your theory. Both are over 30 and got sizeable money and time added to their contracts last year.

26. henrypuppyhead says: May 5, 2011 6:45 PM

Capt. Cornfed says:

The Ponder led 2 tight end Musgrave power running game

——————–

Good thing the spermheads drafted him at #12 to hand the ball off. Petersen hits his arm hard enough on the exchange he might tear the raggity arm right off.

Jenkins is a solid baller. He will go to squad that believes in throwing money at a older player because they believe they can win “right now”.

Still laughing at that Atlanta trade.

27. carlgerbschmidt says: May 5, 2011 6:47 PM

smoothjimmyapollo says:
    May 5, 2011 4:47 PM
    ______

100% dead-on right. It’s a shame really, because I’d like to see these guys retire as Packers, instead of having to slum it with the vikes to get those last few millions. But, it’s a business and nobody knows better than Mr. Ted Thompson how to run it.

28. ppabich says: May 5, 2011 6:55 PM

@gregjennings85 Jenkins was a 4-3 DE. He sometimes played DT on passing downs.

29. weneedlinemen42 says: May 5, 2011 7:00 PM

He is a very good player when he is healthy. I hope he makes tonne of money and lands with a good team.

30. skinsman2121 says: May 5, 2011 7:08 PM

You know where the MONEY is at!!!! Welcome to Washington…..HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

31. schemefactory says: May 5, 2011 7:14 PM

where you been, pervy? the fact there’s a offseason going on doesn’t mean you have to be any less of a vikings fan. in fact: there’s less reason to be a fan once they start playing…..

32. goombar2 says: May 5, 2011 7:39 PM

CJ is a classy guy and I wish him the best of luck. I’m pretty sure we’ll see a CBA in the future and a salary cap.

Unfortunately for us Packer fans the parity that makes the NFL so great is also going to deplete us of talent. Anyway, I wish CJ the best, where ever he ends up, just not when he plays the Packers.

Whatever fan base gets the pleasure of cheering for CJ will get their money’s worth. He’s a smart, tough, and likeable guy.

33. clayshair says: May 5, 2011 7:40 PM

I love Cullen Jenkins. Total class act. Hope they find a way to keep him.

34. goombar2 says: May 5, 2011 7:48 PM

There is one thing I find funny, as a side note…

Pervy comes here with his dufus comments, but I seem to remember an earlier headline here for the vikes… Something about Ray Edwards not playing for 2.8 mil… He’d rather be home than play for the vikes for that much money.

Weird, and here’s a Packer saying he’ll take far less than money to be a champion. I suppose if I were forced to play for a loser franchise I’d want more like 10 mil… Hey, isn’t that how much the vikes are bribing Greenway with to stay? Interesting.

35. cmstrick says: May 5, 2011 7:58 PM

In Thompson I Trust, but I just don’t understand this one. Young talent where? Who? Who do we have on the line other than Raji?

36. 1mge says: May 5, 2011 7:59 PM

Packers 14-6 Superbowl Champs…again.

Vikings 6-10

37. theripster30 says: May 5, 2011 8:03 PM

that pervy harvin guy really needs a girlfriend or sumthing. the pack are champs, and youre delusional. its pretty pathetic how u dedicate your life to dissing a great organization day after day.

38. brewdogg says: May 5, 2011 8:16 PM

mvp43 says:
    May 5, 2011 5:31 PM
    —————————————–
    2006 – Uncle Teddy gave a 7 year, $52 million contract to a soon-to-be 30-year-old CB who had missed 18 games over the last 4 seasons.

Now, are you FOR SURE he won’t overpay for a 30-year-old player?

39. tallguyme says: May 5, 2011 8:17 PM

maybe the reason why my Patriots didn’t draft a pash rusher? I hope.

40. hanktheking says: May 5, 2011 8:18 PM

Broncos have a “wink and nod” agreement.

41. spawnsacs says: May 5, 2011 8:29 PM

Pervy….to quote Paul Allen….the pride and joy of the Vikings…”Why would you even Ponder passing…you could just take a knee, and kick a 56 yard field goal.”

One this is for certain pervy…you continue to be the biggest Viking blowhard on the Net…and the Vikings will never win anything of any consequence.

Thompson can be as gay as pink ink….if he continues to build championship rosters and put depth on the Packers that everyone is envious of….so be it.

Hey Pervy….they just put the 4th Lombardi trophy on display at the Packer Hall of Fame, why don’t you gather up all your VIkings friends and drive on over to GB to see what a real trophy case looks like. I’m sure you’ll only need one compact car to make the voyage……

42. pervyharvin says: May 5, 2011 10:00 PM

Ah…I love it when my lil Packer puppets come out to play! You all must admit….”Thompson has man crushes on receivers with tight ends ….” is some beautiful writing if I must say so myself!!

43. ilpackerbacker says: May 5, 2011 10:07 PM

Always liked Jenkins on the Packers. Productive player, stand-up guy, etc. Nothing to complain about with him. But, at the end of the day, I don’t ever doubt Ted Thompson. End of story.

44. goawayeverybody says: May 5, 2011 10:23 PM

I love Cullen Jenkins. I have absolutely no clue why the Packers would be willing to let go of a PROVEN talent like Cullen Jenkins. It makes no sense whatsoever. Pay him!!!

45. MichaelEdits says: May 5, 2011 10:48 PM

Leaving the Packers and winding up with one of the division’s other three teams just sounds so sad.

46. imjinbrdgr says: May 5, 2011 11:38 PM

pervyharvin says: May 5, 2011 5:00 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

47. bluestree says: May 5, 2011 11:41 PM

@spawnsacs; Ponder Passing! Beautiful. How perfect, how fitting.

48. brewdogg says: May 5, 2011 11:50 PM

spawnsacs says:
    May 5, 2011 8:29 PM

—————————————–

Are you Nostradamus reborn? Just wondering how you can make such a prediction…..

——————————————

And now you insult Vikings fans as a whole.

I would not bring this up unless you were a repeat offender. You are. Consider what you write yourself, both here and on Vikings threads, and then take a moment to look in the mirror and ask yourself….

How are you any better than pervy?

49. innoculo says: May 6, 2011 12:38 AM

pervyharvin says: May 5, 2011 5:00 PM

—————————————————

I read this and thought, “Man, this guy is an idiot.” Then I saw it was Pervyharvin and was like……”Ohhhhhh, that makes sense now.”

Keep up the stupid Pervy, your doing fine.

50. CKL says: May 6, 2011 6:25 AM

Cullen Jenkins seems like a nice, quality dude. So basically I wonder how he can be related to Kris.

51. spawnsacs says: May 6, 2011 10:56 AM

brewdogg…couple things.

First, the Vikings have been futile for what…30 years. Even with 15-1 records, hall of fame QB’s….they still “pondered passing” and threw up on thier chance for a Lombardi trophy. That’s not my fault……but I applaud you and other fans for sticking with your team.

Using a statistical analysis (that’s a form of math BTW), of past blunders by the Vikings, it would not be too much to assertain that the futility will continue for the VIkings. So no, I am not Nostradamus, just using facts to make an educated guess. Even if it is a guess my 5 year could make.

Next, if talking proudly about a trophy case full of Lombardi’s in the Packer Hall of Fame is “insulting” Viking fans….then so be it. And I am not trying to be better than Pervy…you see, in order to communicate with him via this forum, you need to lower your IQ and stoop to his level. It’s all in good fun brewdogg….try it sometime.

52. stellarperformance says: May 6, 2011 11:38 AM

The hardest thing for a SuperBowl winning team (see: Green Bay Packers,) is to do it again. Aside from obvious player skills, this is where management and coaches can actually make a difference….keeping the players motivated and bringing in capable talent when vacancies arise.

I would prefer to keep Cullen than let him go, but I have faith in the Packers.

SuperTed to the rescue.

53. thephantomstranger says: May 6, 2011 12:55 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    May 5, 2011 6:47 PM
    __________________

The Vikings can’t help it if so many of the Packers’ greatest players want nothing more than to play for the Vikings.

54. pervyharvin says: May 6, 2011 1:35 PM

I love how you cheese eating dorks love to pretend you are of higher intelligence than me or other Viking fans. I could add all of your IQ’s together and it would still be lower than mine. To obsess= jealousy. You are all obsessed and jealous of my high football IQ!!!

55. stellarperformance says: May 6, 2011 3:59 PM

pervyharvin says:
    May 6, 2011 1:35 PM
    ———————————————-

Who’s pretending? You saw the results of a Sports Illustrated poll from the guys that actually play the game, didn’t you? Here it is….

WHICH CITY HAS THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE NFL FANS?

Green Bay 26%

Pittsburgh 14%

New York 9%

Philadelphia 8%

Dallas 7%

56. packerbacker12 says: May 6, 2011 4:32 PM

“Green Bays defensive line is going to get hammered this next season. The Ponder led 2 tight end Musgrave power running game is going to shock the NFL with its power. Keep losing your linemen GB, and no, we don’t want the chump. We drafted Ballard. Thompson has man crushes on receivers with tight ends ….”

57. packerbacker12 says: May 6, 2011 4:34 PM

“You are all obsessed and jealous of my high football IQ!!!”

Sorry but 5 isn’t considered a high IQ.

58. pervyharvin says: May 6, 2011 8:11 PM

packerbacker12 says:You said pretty much the same thing last season and looked what happened. So I suggest you shut the hell up before you embarrass yourself even more.
    ======================================
    There isn’t a Packer or Packer fan that make me shut up. Clay Matthews would cower in my presence,best believe that son.

stellarperformance ….That poll is garbage,pure bs. find some new material slappy.

59. brewdogg says: May 6, 2011 11:47 PM

@ spawnsacs

I much prefer using superior intelligence to undermine the arguments of the undereducated, instead of “stooping to their level”. For example….

You speak of using statistical analysis to ascertain (that is the correct spelling of the word, BTW) the future prospects of the Vikings organization. Unfortunately, no statistical analysis of past outcomes can be applied to any dynamic interaction that is subject to chaos theory, particularly one in which the initial conditions change prior to the commencement of each case. Instead, the best you can do with your statistical analysis is to weigh past outcomes against probability laws. However, in so doing, you actually increase the probability of the Vikings winning a SB when using statistical analysis instead of the baseline figures.

Let me dumb it down for you…. Think of the Powerball lottery as a metaphor for each NFL season. The first 4 numbers represent the regular season, the fifth number represents the conference playoffs, and the powerball represents the Super Bowl. Since the regular season is the part that is most under the control of the organization, that is the area where statistical analysis is most readily applied.

Since the merger, the Vikings have displayed a 59% probablility of getting those metaphoric first 4 numbers, as opposed to the 37% probability that the Packers have historically shown over the same period. Therefore, by placing statistical analysis on the regular season and using the law of probabilities for the playoffs, the Vikings would have 62% greater odds of winning the Super Bowl than the Packers would.

But let us not continue with this kind of intellectual debate, since you are clearly outmatched in this regard. I’ll just try stooping to your level…..

30 years of futility? If you really want to see something approaching 30 years of futility, you might want to review the Packers seasons from 1968 to 1992. I’m willing to bet that there were many fans of Packer rivals who, in the late 80′s, would contend that the Packers were incapable of competing in the modern NFL, and had history to prove their point. They likely predicted that the Packers would never be relevant in serious postseason consideration again.

Just something for you to consider, if you can pull your IQ up high enough.

60. stellarperformance says: May 7, 2011 8:58 AM

pervyharvin says: May 6, 2011 8:11 PM
    ——————————————————————-

Everyone possesses a natural instinct to flee or fight. If I were you, I’d be telling myself the same thing…..or it would be too difficult to live with myself…knowing how superior the Packers and their fans were to my own team and fans. Keep trying….you’ll get there.

61. supersuckers3 says: May 7, 2011 3:33 PM

For all newcomers this Pervy Harvin character is a Fubu wearing internet tough guy…in the past he has claimed to be a pro boxer with a record of 45-2 or swomething similar, he has claimed to be a pro fisherman, and he has claimed to be Brett Favre’s personal friend. He has also claimed to have investors for his own internet sports forum and website (Perv…if you need investors to start up a web-site….you’re broke. takes a grand.) What does this tell all of you newcomers? This fellow has a severe inferiority complex. The profootballtalk website, sadly, is all he’s got.

62. pervyharvin says: May 7, 2011 5:24 PM

@ supersuckers3 …..That was funny! You should be a comedian boy. Thanks for being one of my biggest fans! (or stalker,not sure??)

63. supersuckers3 says: May 7, 2011 8:59 PM

pervyharvin says:
    May 7, 2011 5:24 PM
    ———-

Haven’t been on here since my team won another world championship. One in which I correctly predicted after the New England loss and they were 8-6. When on here so little it makes on impossble to be a fan of a insecure whig or a stalker.

64. pervyharvin says: May 8, 2011 10:58 AM

supersuckers3 …..I hope your partner Bob gives you some flowers and WI sausage for Mothers Day! You deserve it !

65. supersuckers3 says: May 8, 2011 12:48 PM

pervyharvin says:
    May 8, 2011 10:58 AM
    ————-

For this being the only thing of purpose in your life (this site that is) I was expecting a little more then that. That was pathetic.

66. pervyharvin says: May 8, 2011 2:18 PM

supersuckers3….I am not on very much at all. how was the man gravy?

67. supersuckers3 says: May 8, 2011 9:20 PM

pervyharvin says:
    May 8, 2011 2:18 PM
    supersuckers3….I am not on very much at all. how was the man gravy?
    ——

I first used the man gravy joke when I was 11. I see a 40 something still thinks it may be funny. It is old, tired, and boring….much like your football team. The facts are you have two or three years of pure losing( which you are used to) IF you hired the right guy.