Big turnout for Tebow’s golf event

Florida Heisman Statues Football AP

Though he now plays football in Colorado, the folks in Florida still have fond feelings for former Gator quarterback Tim Tebow.

According to the Florida Times-Union, roughly 1,000 fans paid $12.50 each to attend Tebow’s first charity golf tournament at TPC Sawgrass.

They’re here to see the left-handed quarterback,” former Florida coach Urban Meyer told the Florida Times-Union.

“It’s amazing,” Tebow said.  “I’m definitely happy and thankful to come back to my hometown and see this much support.”

NFL players who attended the event included former Florida teammates Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, and former Florida State rival Christian Ponder.

“Me and Timmy share the same agent, so he got in contact with my agent and asked if I could come,” Ponder said.  “Obviously, it’s for a good cause, so you kind of forget about the whole Florida State-Florida deal and try to help the kids.”

Ponder’s new teammate, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, attended after losing a game of “H-O-R-S-E” to Tebow at a Nike event in Las Vegas.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Big turnout for Tebow’s golf event”
  1. freedomispopular says: May 7, 2011 11:40 PM

I think this belongs on progolftalk.com

2. tinopuno says: May 7, 2011 11:48 PM

Just spending 2 minutes reading about this golf outing has made me a better person.

3. denverdave3 says: May 7, 2011 11:58 PM

but in spite of things like this The T-dude endures countless insults. I just don’t get it.

4. Ick McWang says: May 7, 2011 11:59 PM

Wait a minute, Adrian Peterson attended because he lost a game of HORSE to Timothy Richard? Why wasn’t this in PFT?

5. 305hurricane says: May 8, 2011 12:15 AM

Best part of this article….Tebow beat Adrian Peterson in horse. Guy refuses to lose.

6. cornellsteelers says: May 8, 2011 12:16 AM

The biggest news in this story is that Peterson lost to Tebow in Horse.

7. dbellina says: May 8, 2011 12:47 AM

I thought Christian Ponder was smart. It’s Timmy and I, not me and Timmy.

8. sgtpeppers05 says: May 8, 2011 12:57 AM

bet there was a bible verse printed on the rules sheet

9. beauregard says: May 8, 2011 1:03 AM

Count down to the Tebow haters who’ll bash him for any reason..3-2-1- begin.

10. moneymike23 says: May 8, 2011 1:30 AM

God please let the lockout end?

11. purdueman says: May 8, 2011 2:22 AM

I hear tell that Tebow got Jesus Himself to make a guest appearance… and Jesus got a hole in one!!!

12. bigdog214 says: May 8, 2011 6:48 AM

Was Timmy doing free circumcisions after the tournament?

13. 4seamed says: May 8, 2011 6:49 AM

I think the bigger story is that this agent got Tebow AND Ponder drafted in the first round in back to back years. Not sure how he does it, but you better believe that fact goes in every sales pitch to prospects the rest of his career.

14. dutchman1350 says: May 8, 2011 8:39 AM

I’d play in OJ’s golf tourney for a round at TPC Sawgrass for $12.50.

15. MichaelEdits says: May 8, 2011 9:32 AM

They said: See me, feel me, touch me, heal me

16. stonedwhitetrash says: May 8, 2011 9:36 AM

Did God’s only grandson heal the sick and feed the multitude?

17. ratbastardshanahandjob says: May 8, 2011 10:31 AM

Like Moses and the Red Sea. The water hazzard was no problem for Timmy-Rah-Rah……

18. jimr10 says: May 8, 2011 11:12 AM

19. skeeter1970 says: May 8, 2011 12:14 PM

jimr10 says

“Just cannot believe so many bash Tim Tebow for his religious beliefs. We need more Rae Carruths, Cromarties, Travis Henry’s and Lawrence Taylors. Fewer Tebows.”

Christians, all of them.
    Keep it to yourself Timmy.

20. purdueman says: May 8, 2011 12:19 PM

No one can play in OJ’s golf tourney because it’s on hold until he can get paroled out of jail so that he can then find the “real” killers of his ex-wife and the whack cases son!

Rumor has it that the US raid that killed Bin Laden has been a true inspiration to the Juice and now he’s said to have re-dedicated himself to finding those real killers… right after he gets in 36 holes after his eventual parole!

Tebow is planning his own golf tournament too… he’s already even lined up a sponsor: “The Tim Tebow Celebrity Golf Tournament brought to you by Jesus Christ!”.

21. purdueman says: May 8, 2011 12:39 PM

jimr… It’s not Tebow’s religious beliefs that so polarize people, it’s his incessant proselytizing.

There’s absolute NO NEED OR REASON to attribute everything you do from the minute you wake up in the morning to the time your head hits the pillow to “My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ”; that’s just proselytizing.

To me, religion is a very personal thing and as such should be kept that way unless you are worshiping in a church, synagogue or mosque. Jesus doesn’t take sides in world wars, so I’m positive that He doesn’t pay any attention as to who wins football GAMES either.

22. acanniv says: May 8, 2011 1:11 PM

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Proselytizing: the act of attempting to convert people to another opinion and, particularly, another religion.

Timmy’s not trying to convert anyone. He’s just mega-religious. So what? For some reason, people hate when Tebow says “God bless” or thanks Jesus or some crap, but conveniently ignore the hundreds of other athletes that are constantly doing the exact same thing. Its ridiculous and pathetic.

23. willycents says: May 8, 2011 1:14 PM

LMAO Denver Post ran an article condemning Orton for playing golf in Oregon, then had to print a retraction because he was in fact in Denver working out. What is the over/under that they even mention this event?????

24. hanktheking says: May 8, 2011 2:26 PM

Hey Purduedude, where does it ever mention Jesus Christ in this article? The only clown shoving it down everyone’s throats is you, 3 separate times in the comments section.

You must just be choked that Tim took Kyle Ortons starting gig, he’s also a retarded Purdue Dude.

25. krow101 says: May 8, 2011 3:21 PM

If Jesus is so all-knowing and good then why does he need Tebow and his golf outing to help children?

Maybe Jesus ought to do something himself instead of waiting for a dim-witted professional football player.

Unless it’s all just a mythology. You know, like Thor and Zeus.

26. bradymancrush10 says: May 8, 2011 4:54 PM

Well krow101, if it just mythology, then it doesn’t really matter then, does it?
    You ought to really be thinking then is “thankfully this isn’t a theocratic Islamic country where they would lop off my head for making a blasphemous statement”
    The truth is that people want to live their lives free from their conscience that one day they will meet their Creator and have to account for their words and actions..because if it just “mythology”, it wouldn’t matter, would it??

27. purdueman says: May 8, 2011 6:34 PM

hanktheking says:
    May 8, 2011 2:26 PM

****************************
    hankthekingdude… you must not be much of an NFL fan, because if you were you would know that new Bronco President John Elway has already flat out said that Orton is their starter next season. Then again, I’d hate to confuse you with the facts.

Orton’s going to make $8.5M this up coming season for a half a years work too; how much you making hanktheknucklheaddude?

As for Tebow, you must not listen to him being interviewed, because every other sentence he throw in the phrase “My Lord Jesus Christ”.

28. purdueman says: May 8, 2011 6:38 PM

acanniv says:
    May 8, 2011 1:11 PM
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

**************************
    acan, I know exactly what the word proselytizing means and unlike you I didn’t have to scramble for a dictionary to look it up either.

There’s simply no reason to continue to preach the name of Jesus other than with the intent of influencing and converting others; simple as that. Fortunately the reporter who posted this blog omitted that.

I TOTALLY AGREE with you too; athletes that repeatedly spout the name of Jesus over and over again are ridiculous and pathetic!

29. hanktheking says: May 8, 2011 8:02 PM

So on draft day when Elway said ” tims out guy, were going with Tim” that meant nothing?

You don’t want to dance with a lifelong, diehard bronco fan of 30 years my friend. Stick to trolling PFT.

30. krow101 says: May 8, 2011 9:16 PM

bradymancrush10…

Right. It doesn’t matter. The only reason anyone “believes” is because they get it jammed down their throats as children. It’s all total garbage. Tall tales. There’s no celestial class reunion when you die. Sorry… you’re a chump for thinking there is.

31. bradymancrush10 says: May 8, 2011 10:33 PM

@krow101
    I came to faith when I was 30…. and wow, I appreciate your honest assessment of my character by calling me “chump”. I’ll bet your a very compassionate person. Go read Psalm 14:1

Here it is
    Psalm 14:1 1The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God ”
    They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds;
    There is no one who does good.

32. purdueman says: May 8, 2011 11:31 PM

I believe in Jesus Christ, but I also don’t believe on pushing my beliefs on anyone. ’nuff said.

33. broncoway says: May 9, 2011 7:21 AM

The Christian haters, are only proving the words of Jesus, when he said the world shall hate you because of me.

Mark 13:13.

He also said to count all the insults as joy. I am no saint, but I think I may indeed turn the misery I feel towards the endless insults into joy.

Jesus is Lord. I thank these haters for affirming that in my doubting mind.

34. bradymancrush10 says: May 9, 2011 7:44 AM

@purdueman
    Then, if you say you believe Jesus,and don’t want to push your beliefs, then how do you reconcile Matthew 28?

35. purdueman says: May 9, 2011 9:31 AM

bradymancrush10 says:
    May 9, 2011 7:44 AM
    @purdueman
    *******************************
    I have no response to your question because I believe that religion is a truly personal thing that unless you’re openly doing missionary work has no place in a public non-religious forum (and that goes double for athletes!).