Donte Whitner says he wants to stay with the Bills

New England Patriots v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

Bills G.M. Buddy Nix recently seemed to close the door on safety Donte Whitner’s career in Buffalo.

“Donte Whitner I don’t think wants to be here, and he probably won’t,” Nix told The Shredd & Ragan Show on WEDG.

Whitner disagrees with Nix’s assessment.  “He actually said, he didn’t think I wanted to be there so I wouldn’t,” Whitner told the Associated Press.  “Well, I have something to say about that.  I don’t think I’ve ever said that I don’t want to be there.  I do want to be a Buffalo Bill.”

Whitner, a top-10 draft pick in 2006 who received a one-year restricted free agency tender before the lockout started, isn’t averse to the possibility of accepting the offer.  “I wouldn’t have any problem with that,” Whitner said.  “I’m not going to go in there and be a cancer to the football team.  I’m not going to go in there and act out of character.  I’m going to go in there and do what I’ve been doing for the past five years.  I’m going to lead.”

Some Bills fans would argue that it would be out of character for Whitner to actually lead.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Donte Whitner says he wants to stay with the Bills”
  1. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 7, 2011 12:46 PM

WHY ??
    It’s Buffalo dude!!

2. hammer7329 says: May 7, 2011 12:51 PM

From what was reported Whitner wanted $8 million per season. See ya Donte !

3. kirbist says: May 7, 2011 1:04 PM

Buffalo hasn’t wanted whitNOT since he was drafted, just another one of buffalos draft busts, can’t wait to finalize him not being a bill

4. emperor83 says: May 7, 2011 1:06 PM

Releasing Donte would be the first step to returning the Buffalo Bills to where they’re supposed to be: the destructive force of the AFC.

5. iflounder says: May 7, 2011 1:14 PM

can whitner provide examples of when he led? usually leaders don’t have to tell people that they are, they just, you know, lead. maybe he’s leading them to the unemployment line.

6. androk23 says: May 7, 2011 1:17 PM

He sure is a leader when it comes to being a complete tool on Twitter.

7. tw4golf says: May 7, 2011 1:55 PM

Whitner tries to alieniate the fan base constantly, arguing with them over Twitter. If he thinks tackling by turning his shoulder and back into the ball carrier and helping his opponents up and slapping them on the helmet or bottom constitutes being paid ANY type of contract, well Bills fans want and deserve more, as does his teammates. He is just another mistake from the Mindmeld of Levy/Jauron, who set this franchise back years with their ineptness.

8. EJ says: May 7, 2011 2:09 PM

Whitner has been a solid tackling Saftey with average coverage skills ever since he came to Buffalo. He has not lived up to the First round pick that the Bills used on him. He is getting older and doesn’t seem like he is getting any better with his age.

Whitner is definitely not worth 8 million a season.

Expect the Bills to move on without Donte, its pretty much set in stone.

9. stubbyjones says: May 7, 2011 2:39 PM

He has trouble with tight ends, Alge Crumpler had no problem beating him. He also tackles with his back…yes his back. That doesn’t work very well and it certainly is not worth 8 million a year.

10. frankdatank23 says: May 7, 2011 2:40 PM

You did your time DW….. run along now…..

you’ll be happier with the bengals… haha

11. gobills716 says: May 7, 2011 2:44 PM

He’s not one of Buffalo’s biggest draft busts. Yeah he didn’t deserve to go #8 but he’s still a decent player. I would bring him back for $5 or so. Maybe he realized there isn’t as big of a market for him as he thought.

12. schmitty2 says: May 7, 2011 3:16 PM

When even Pinto Ron hates you you might as well pack your bags Whitner

13. mattyc says: May 7, 2011 4:06 PM

Just come home to Cleveland D-Dub. Now, we aren’t going to pay you 8 mil to do so, we definitely need to chip that in half, lets say 3 years 10 mil? We will slide you over to FS over Abe Elam.

Bills fans, I am consistently in your corner. I like you guys. But, I don’t understand how you fault Whitner for “not tackling”? 140 seems to be a decent amount & keep in mind, your LBs suck, so a S miss is going to stick out cause he is the last line of defense…. BUT, you need to look no further than your SAM & MIKE LBs for the problems.

14. hammer7329 says: May 7, 2011 4:11 PM

Well said tw4golf. Because of how bad Jauron was people overlook Marv’s total blunders as GM. Never thought Marv was that good a coach either.

15. mempusa says: May 7, 2011 4:56 PM

Buffalo will make the wild card this year. And that’s coming from a Pats fan

16. onthewagonsince90 says: May 7, 2011 8:14 PM

androk23 says: May 7, 2011 1:17 PM

He sure is a leader when it comes to being a complete tool on Twitter.

I love how this post has one thumbs down, I can bet my life that it was Donte.. He combs through all these gossip web sites. I can swear he is on the Bills Message Boards too…

17. jbravo2312 says: May 7, 2011 10:10 PM

The bills have to start ridding the team of all the HUGE mistakes that have been made since the Donahoe-Modrak regimes, they took a step with the firing of Tom Modrak…. Whitner & Maybin are next, as they should be

18. pioniere says: May 7, 2011 10:35 PM

Buddy Nix has made all of the right moves so far, and this will include not retaining the services of Whitner, who is an average tackler, poor in coverage, and even poorer in leadership. I can’t imagine too many Bills fans will miss him.

19. thefiesty1 says: May 7, 2011 11:21 PM

He needs to check out the previous post seeking brains. How could anyone with a brain want to play for Buffalo? With Gailey and Waanstadt there this guy is crazy.

20. calhounlambeau says: May 8, 2011 12:19 AM

To the guy referencing that he’s aging…Whitner was drafted in 2006, has played 5 full seasons, and is only 25 years old, turning 26 in July…Whitner is as old as a lot of players are in year 2, and he’s younger than 2009 1st round pick Peria Jerry who’s turning 27 in August. Age and Whitner shouldn’t even be discussed.

21. CKL says: May 8, 2011 8:41 AM

onthewagonsince90 says:
    May 7, 2011 8:14 PM
    androk23 says: May 7, 2011 1:17 PM

He sure is a leader when it comes to being a complete tool on Twitter.

13 1
    ________________________________
    Yours has only 1 thumbs down right now too. DONTE’S ANGRY! :D

22. EJ says: May 8, 2011 8:45 AM

calhounlambeau says:
    May 8, 2011 12:19 AM

Aging in the NFL has nothing to do with the players actual age. I am talking about age as in how many seasons a players body has taken a beating. In that case DW is a 5yr old Saftey. An average starting Saftey in the NFL lasts 7 to 10 years. So Whitner is about half way though his career and shows no sign of getting any better.