Mike Ditka speaks on lockout, “modern-day slavery,” Jay Cutler

Ditka_Mike

Mike Ditka has been on the labor side of the NFL as a player, and the management side as a coach, and he’s had harsh criticism for both sides since his retirement. So it’s no surprise that he has plenty to say about the lockout currently embroiling the NFL.

“I think to a degree, it’s a power struggle, I really do,” Ditka told Dave Krieger of the Denver Post. “Egos have gotten in the way of reason. I think common sense would be much better served if people would just think about the situation, think about where they’re at as players and owners in life, and try to make this thing work.”

Ditka ripped Vikings running back Adrian Peterson’s comment likening the NFL to “modern-day slavery,” saying it demonstrated ignorance on the part of today’s players.

“Some of the younger players, the comments they make don’t make any sense,” he said. “Somebody saying they make $12 million a year, and they’re saying people call them a slave? I mean, I’m not sure I really understand any of this. There’s nowhere in society where you can go out and make $12 million. Nowhere! If you’re a rocket scientist, you can’t do it. You just can’t do it!”

Ditka also weighed in on the quarterback of his old team, Chicago’s Jay Cutler, saying that the criticism of Cutler isn’t going to stop until he learns to conduct himself the way a leader should.

“I’m just saying that he needs to improve his body language, and I think everybody would admit that,” Ditka said. “But as far as the game of football and the ability to throw the football, he does that very well. And I think the other quality we got to get to is the leadership thing. You’ve got to be able to lead as a quarterback.”

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Mike Ditka speaks on lockout, “modern-day slavery,” Jay Cutler”
  1. joetoronto says: May 7, 2011 8:00 AM

Love him or hate him, the man tells it like it is.

2. MichaelEdits says: May 7, 2011 8:10 AM

Ditka played a lot harder for a lot less than $12 million.

We’re not bashing Cutler for failing his body language classes. I failed mine too. It’s no crime. We’re bashing him for being weak. That season he played with untreated diabetes is probably one of the toughest things I’ve ever seen a guy do, but that doesn’t change what happened in the playoffs with Chicago.

And while Iron Mike can sometimes wander out where the buses don’t run, he nailed this strike thing down. Power struggle. Some otherwise fine folks on both sides of this thing need to just get over themselves and get it done. Lock ‘em in a room with Fran Tarkenton. He’ll straighten ‘em out.

3. duanethomas says: May 7, 2011 8:10 AM

Wasnt there something in the news about his son? I hope his son gets his life together at age 46. Love Iron Mike’s draft with the Saints in 99….all 7 picks for Ricky Williams….LoL.

4. djbasx007 says: May 7, 2011 8:10 AM

Da……….bears.

5. medialovesthecowboys says: May 7, 2011 8:19 AM

6. timmytoad says: May 7, 2011 8:23 AM

It is great to wake up to Dikta’s wisdom. He is right on all three points. Let’s get him to mediate the mess and get this done in 3 hours.

7. mahsoonerz says: May 7, 2011 8:30 AM

Uh Mike, I’ll bet all of the owners make more than $12million a year. AD may be wrong on this one but that’s not why.

8. saberstud75 says: May 7, 2011 8:37 AM

I totally agree with Ditka. The players have an enormous sense of entitlement from being carried catered to because they are good at football. They are also vastly uninformed and disconnected from the real world.

I am a huge NFL fan, but I think it would benefit the game if the lockout lasted the entire season, just to serve as a reality check to both players and owners.

I went to an arena football game last night (Alabama Hammers vs Carolina Speed) and it was very enjoyable. $16 for a very good ticket and $4.50 for a bottle of beer, got a free hat to boot!

If we stop paying these FOOLS $12 million dollars per year maybe the average Joe could afford to bring his family to a game.

9. stonedwhitetrash says: May 7, 2011 8:45 AM

NFL players are prostitutes and mercenaries that work for whoever pays them.

10. gridassassin says: May 7, 2011 8:45 AM

Mike Ditka #VoiceOfReason!!!

11. gmsingh says: May 7, 2011 8:57 AM

Good job, coach. We all know how Jim McMahon conducted himself under your tutelage.

12. tony420 says: May 7, 2011 8:57 AM

Cant we agree that for years Ditka is simply a loudmouth who likes the sound of his own voice and has figured out a way to get paid for it as well. Basically an idiot.

13. mattyc says: May 7, 2011 9:00 AM

Slave owner… How dare you not agree with Modern Day Slavery… Are you serious?

I WANNA BE A 12 MILLION DOLLAR SLAVE PLEASE!

14. whatswiththehate says: May 7, 2011 9:00 AM

“I’m just saying that he needs to improve his body language, and I think everybody would admit that,” Ditka said. ”
    ——————
    Wow…we’re analyzing body language also. I guess this is what happens when you get a bunch of high testostorone filled men who are no longer playing the game they love commenting on the younger players who they feel aren’t giving them the respect they crave. They become ridiculously critical.

IMO, the sports elites don’t like Jay Cutler because they know he doesn’t like them…Body language, Ditka? Like really????

15. dspyank2k11 says: May 7, 2011 9:03 AM

Gotta love Mike Ditka.

He says what youre thinking!

16. brianeybel says: May 7, 2011 9:24 AM

Ditka hit the nail on the head.

17. pleasantsurpriselefty says: May 7, 2011 9:26 AM

They just don’t make them like Iron Mike anymore. The pure definition of a leader.

18. justafan24 says: May 7, 2011 9:27 AM

The “Modern Day Slavery” quote actually made me rage a little. How about if you are so unhappy quit playing the game( i stress game) and get a real job and see how hard it is to make ends meet. That is just a very dumbass comment from a top player. If I was a owner I would get with the other owners and make a pact that no player is worth 5-10 mil a year, play for less or work for burger king.

19. MCxShow says: May 7, 2011 9:27 AM

This is probably the smartest thing anyone has said since the lockout started

20. mrplow3 says: May 7, 2011 9:27 AM

Ditka, as always, is spot on.

21. azwildcats96 says: May 7, 2011 9:30 AM

sausage…

22. chatham10 says: May 7, 2011 9:44 AM

I agree with Ditka and he has been a main voice in getting more money for the players that have retired but I’m surprised he has not commented on Upshaws wife getting $15million in death benefits.

23. bingocostello says: May 7, 2011 9:50 AM

the ONLY thing Ditka did wrong was NOT run for US Senate in Illinois, that gave us Bozobama! But Mike we forgive you!

24. riverhorsey says: May 7, 2011 9:59 AM

needs to improve his body language? do we have a coach for that?

Nice pass Jay but stand up straight when walking back to the huddle !!

Cutler is an unemotional guy that’s just the way he is.

25. thefiesty1 says: May 7, 2011 10:01 AM

He’s absolutely right 99% of the time.

26. cereal blogger says: May 7, 2011 10:47 AM

Mini-Ditka 103, Da’Bears 8

27. quirtevans says: May 7, 2011 10:51 AM

“Ditka used to be portrayed as grumpy old man. But every soundbite I hear or article I read, he’s proven to be the voice of reason.”

Yeah, I’ve never been a big fan of Ditka’s, but I agree with everything he’s saying here. His analysis of the stand-off as a battle of egos is spot on.

28. monsterscream says: May 7, 2011 10:59 AM

If you listen closely, when Ditka gets on a roll, he NEVER finishes his sentences.

29. clear2me says: May 7, 2011 11:29 AM

The face is part of the body, right? Then Mike is bang on about Cutler. After one of his classic screw-ups he looks like a three year old when he is being forced to eat broccoli. And the slouch he assumes when he comes off the field looks like the same three year old that wasn’t allowed his cookie. Maybe he just needs some maturing.

30. bsizemore68 says: May 7, 2011 12:04 PM

Tony 420, seems like you are down 79-5, no we can’t agree with you….Bill

31. bsizemore68 says: May 7, 2011 12:09 PM

bingocostello, glad that your guy didn’t win any elections, as we know there are plenty of idiots in congress already. Bill

32. h0c2000 says: May 7, 2011 12:21 PM

Ditka the dummy. Hey mike, how much did Gisele make? More than 12 mill for just standing there.

33. tommyf15 says: May 7, 2011 12:25 PM

I love the way people play the “slavery” card every time they need a convenient excuse to rip the players.

Slavery is about rights, not money. A plantation owner can pay a slave all he wants- but if the person doesn’t have rights, he’s still a slave.

The reality is that a lot of people here act as if the players shouldn’t have rights, and justify their attitudes by by hiding behind the salaries of the highest paid players.

34. tommyf15 says: May 7, 2011 12:30 PM

justafan24 says:

1. You’re a whiner.

2. What makes me “rage a little” is when someone says that they’d flagrantly break the law in order to stick it to the players.

35. billsfan1 says: May 7, 2011 12:43 PM

If it wasn’t for football manyy of these fools wouldn’t earn as much as a slave

36. nagaswan says: May 7, 2011 12:46 PM

What a clown. He’s like a not fun Ron Swanson.

37. kissbillsrings says: May 7, 2011 1:08 PM

tommyf15: You sir are an IDIOT….AD lives in the free-est country in the world with the most rights bestowed on an individule…..the slavery comment in reguards to any aspect including the current football situation is almost as moronic as your take….

The reality here is these players are biting the hand that feeds them……the desertification by the union is a fraudulant joke….

38. tommyf15 says: May 7, 2011 2:11 PM

kissbillsrings says:

He sure does, little buddy.

What the players are seeking is have the same rights as any other United States citizen- the right to offer their services as an employee in a free, open marketplace.

Salary caps, drafts, franchise tags, etc are an impediment to a free marketplace. And before anyone insists that these mechanisms are somehow necessary, remember that one of the South’s arguments against emancipating the slaves was that the South’s economy was dependent upon it.

Has a familiar ring, does it not?

39. mhs8031 says: May 7, 2011 3:02 PM

Quit football=instant freedom–you don’t even need an underground railroad or Abe Lincoln.

40. tommyf15 says: May 7, 2011 3:24 PM

saberstud75 says:

Have the owners pledged to lower ticket prices in the event that they come out the winners of this battle?

Why in the world would the owners lower the prices of tickets if the games sell out at the current prices?

Players’ salaries have nothing at all to do with ticket prices.

41. michelsauret says: May 12, 2011 1:23 PM

I don’t know Tommyf15,

Ticket prices provide (part) of the revenue to owners of the NFL. Of course it has something to do with players salaries… not as much as advertising and televised broadcasting but you can’t say there isn’t a correlation.

But in any case, lowering the ticket pricing doesn’t really solve anything. Watching an NFL game is a form of entertainment you’ve got to pay for. Like going to a concert.

And also, Tommy, though I agree with your take on free market, I still disagree with your take on Player’s freedom. What RIGHTS don’t they have?

They have just as many rights as most Amercian employees. And if you throw in the question of contracts limiting their rights, that’s absurd. Contracts work two ways, and Players have the right to sign contracts if they want everything that contract provides them (salary, benefits, term agreements).

NFL players are not slaves. The comparison is idiotic.