NFC East tug-of-war could be looming over Asomugha

Miami Dolphins v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

Whenever free agency begins, and we assume it will begin eventually, the biggest name on the open market will be cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.  With the Raiders not expected to be major players for his services, he could be destined to sign a major deal with a new team.

And Rainer Sabin of the Dallas Morning News has floated an interesting theory regarding Asomugha’s ultimate destination.  Per Sabin, the Cowboys could try to land Asomugha, in large part to keep him from going to the Eagles.

There’s little if any concrete evidence at this point on which to base that possibility, but it’s hardly out of the question to think that the Eagles, who signed Asante Samuel on the first day of free agency three years ago, will make a play for Asomugha or that the Cowboys, whom many believe are considering parting ways with Terence Newman, would try to get in on the action.

Of course, that could attract the Redskins into the bidding.  And it could prompt any other team that covets Asomugha to increase their budget for him, too.

No matter how it all turns out, Asomugha will be the crown jewel of the 2011 class of free agents.  If there ever is a class of 2011 free agents.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Washington Redskins
63 Responses to “NFC East tug-of-war could be looming over Asomugha”
  1. mataug says: May 7, 2011 6:02 PM

well the Redskins do need a cornerback, it is one of their needs still… maybe that’s why Allen & Shanahan went for all those 5th and 7th rounders
    let them learn from veterans like Asamugha & Fletcher

2. skindome1234 says: May 7, 2011 6:20 PM

I would believe this post however neither the skins and especially the cowboys have very little cap room should we go under the old rules. I could see Tampa Bay if they drop Talib, them and the Eagles have serious cap space. The other two have Zilch!! can’t drive up the price with empty rumors.

3. grbigblue says: May 7, 2011 6:25 PM

….and the giants stole prince while the pigeons and boys break the bank on nnamdi. Not comparing, just sayin…..

4. hoobsher says: May 7, 2011 6:26 PM

if the eagles get him and no major injuries spring up,

super bowl

5. tehowdruid says: May 7, 2011 6:31 PM

Asomugha to the Cowboys makes way too much sense

Rob Ryan loves Nnamdi Asomugha. Nnamdi Asomugha loves Rob Ryan. Dallas desperately needs a legit man coverage corner, as does Rob Ryans attacking defense.

Their is no doubt in my mind that Asomugha is a Cowboy next year, it makes too much sense

6. RussianBreadMaker says: May 7, 2011 6:41 PM

Dont count the Redskins out.

7. sterilizecromartie says: May 7, 2011 6:45 PM

Detroit?

8. mytbradley says: May 7, 2011 6:51 PM

As a Cowboy fan really hate to hear that the Eagles are in the mix. We need Newman’s replacement now but hopefully T-New would move to free safety if we can get Asomgua. Free safety is where we truly need help

9. oldbyrd says: May 7, 2011 6:57 PM

Your right . Now call the commie union leaders and remind them that they are employees.

10. highwaiianjahwaiian says: May 7, 2011 7:09 PM

hes going to the AFC south.. moreso.. THE TITANS!!

11. zidanevalor says: May 7, 2011 7:10 PM

The Cowboys going after Asomugha to help their 31st ranked scoring defense isn’t really breaking news I would think.

12. dougroberson says: May 7, 2011 7:20 PM

Yes, he will – unless the franchise tag is not included in the new CBA, or is not available when the lockout is lifted, in which case Peyton Manning will be the richest athlete in professional sports, much for the same reason – so that nobody else gets him.

13. ihatephillyfans says: May 7, 2011 7:20 PM

Asomugha in Dallas could be scary with Ware rushing the passer and this guy covering the número uno receiver.

14. goriidskiiin says: May 7, 2011 7:27 PM

Asomugha, D-Hall, Laron Landry, Otogwe

sounds good to me

15. skeeter1970 says: May 7, 2011 7:37 PM

Advice to Nnamdi:

Stay away from Jerruh and Dallas. Your career will nosedive if you go play for that hillbilly rube and his pathetic organization.

Come to Pittsburgh and play for a winner.

16. laeaglefan says: May 7, 2011 7:37 PM

The Eagles are going to go all out for this guy. No way they’re going to let Jerry Jones get him…..even if it means passing on resigning DeSean Jackson to the megamillions extension that he’s clamoring for.

17. deconjonesbitchslap says: May 7, 2011 7:58 PM

with teams like the packers and patriots going to pass only offenses (very quick passes), no run, corners and good ball hawk safeties are more important than ever.

18. nodecafplz1 says: May 7, 2011 8:15 PM

Eagles won’t get into a bidding war. They’ll take the second or third in line behind Asomugha first – especially considering Asante’s paycheck.

19. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: May 7, 2011 8:23 PM

I doubt that even with Nnamdi they could beat the Packers this time around.

20. romoscollarbone says: May 7, 2011 8:45 PM

I really hope the Cboys don’t sign him. Just so much $ tied up in one guy. I’d like to devote our resources to pass rush. I think Jenkins will bounce back, and Newman can give us 1 more year, if we can get him healthy, and push the edges out. He always gets nicked up, in run support since he’s such a thin guy.

I’d like to re-sign Sensabaugh, and zero in on Huff, I don’t think he’ll be ridic, expensive. He’s a native Texan, and those guys do like coming home.

If corner is really something they want to address, I’d look at prying Ike Taylor from the Steelers or Cromartie.

21. freedoginit says: May 7, 2011 9:00 PM

Tampa will get him. Selling point, low property taxes and NO state income tax! It doesn’t hurt that we are surround by water…

22. 49fromwi says: May 7, 2011 9:00 PM

I heard he’s going to follow another ex-Raider Cornerback to Green Bay!!

23. terrellblowens says: May 7, 2011 9:07 PM

Asomugha wants to play for a contender. You can pretty much rule out the Redskins because the money will be close enough and they are nowhere close to being a contender. Dallas may be the same way, but they have many talented but underachieving players. The Giants were in on it until they drafted Amukamara (besides, can you imagine how confusing a secondary with Asomugha and Amukamara would be?). So in the NFC East I’d give the edge to the Eagles if they are willing to pay a 30 year old the kind of money that he’s worth. Knowing the Eagles, that is probably the biggest thing holding them back. I think around the league, the surprise teams that have a shot at him are Detroit, Houston (outside chance), and Oakland

24. ncsteeler says: May 7, 2011 9:48 PM

Asomugha says he wants to play for a winner. (I know, they all say that.) That should take the Redskins out of the picture. Eagles and Cowboys and many others can at least make a plausible argument that they can win now.

25. hendawg21 says: May 7, 2011 10:13 PM

skindome1234 says:
    May 7, 2011 6:20 PM

Wrong my friend because of last year the Skins are well and I mean well under the cap…and because of that they are expected to be major players in free agency whenever it may start…

26. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: May 7, 2011 11:15 PM

He could literally be the piece that puts Houston over the top (finally). The Texans have a Super Bowl caliber offense and with a new defensive coordinator, and a (hopefully) strong linebacking corps, Nnamdi could be the one that turns Houston into a contender. Wouldn’t that be nice for both Houston and Nnamdi?

27. buddhabuds89 says: May 7, 2011 11:17 PM

@ grbigblue
    i have 2 words that will make princess wet her pants
    DESEAN JACKSON

28. realitypolice says: May 7, 2011 11:51 PM

I’m not an Eagles fan, but it seems to me that when they target a specific player, they usually get them and get them quickly.

There are probably some examples of when the Eagles coveted a free agent and lost them, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

I’m sure someone will helpfully list some for me.

29. kyedh3 says: May 7, 2011 11:54 PM

But, if we go on last year’s rules, there is no cap! Open season for all teams without a cap, and that means the man with the biggest & deepest pockets can afford to get him: Jerry Jones! Go Cowboys!!!

30. east96st says: May 8, 2011 12:21 AM

buddhabuds89 – I have eight words that make all the fans of the other NFC East teams laugh their asses off, “The Eagles have NEVER won a Super Bowl.”.

31. sufferingbirdsfan says: May 8, 2011 1:02 AM

Asomugha just left one soap opera, why go to Dallas and join the biggest drama in the league that has only one playoff win since Clinton was president? The cowgirls can forget it. Giants ain’t paying 1st round money to one corner and then paying what it takes to get this guy too so keep dreaming big blows fans. The ‘skins though, worry me. Say what you will about Richie Rich over there but he has no fear about throwing huge cash at whoever is the big name out there. Still, the Birds or Tampa are his best options to get paid and actually win so I like our chances in Philly to land him.

32. ampatsisahypocrite says: May 8, 2011 2:00 AM

With the re-sign of Ike Taylor, the stud rookie from Texas, Asomugha will be the missing piece to the Steelers’ seventh Lombardi. No more William Gay welfare to make Brady and (overrated) Rodgers look good.

33. dant10 says: May 8, 2011 2:57 AM

@hoobsher
    You said it. If we land him and have no major injuries, the birds are going all the way this year.

34. adsbad28 says: May 8, 2011 6:40 AM

best corner out there by far

35. adsbad28 says: May 8, 2011 6:40 AM

shut down

36. 1bigtex says: May 8, 2011 7:41 AM

@sufferingbirdsfan

“the Birds… his best options to get paid and actually win”
    I’m sure you’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t it been something like 50 years since “the Birds” won a championship?

37. CKL says: May 8, 2011 8:00 AM

realitypolice says:
    May 7, 2011 11:51 PM

I’m sure someone will helpfully list some for me.
    __________________________________
    I don’t know exactly how much the Eagles wanted him, but they were interested in Randy Moss after the 07 season when he was a FA. They supposedly offered him more than what he ended up re-signing with the Pats for. I think Reid came out after all this and made a comment to the effect that Moss was never really going to sign anywhere but NE though.

38. jc1958cool says: May 8, 2011 8:03 AM

the owners talk cost control & then try to out BID the next guy! two face liars, that’s why roger pinnochio fits right in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. bobbyhoying says: May 8, 2011 8:20 AM

Will there really be a bidding war? If a lot of the teams are operating at a loss, who’s going to pay up for anybody? Isn’t that why we’re having a lockout?

40. east96st says: May 8, 2011 9:20 AM

1bigtex – You must be new around here. Don’t you know that all the Eagle and Cowboy fans spend the whole off season tell everyone “this is our year” and then promptly disappear from PFT for a month when they fall flat on the faces once again? It’s just a predictable as the sunrise and sunset. Then, when they are done licking their wounds, they crawl out from under their rocks and insist this draft pick or that free agent is “the missing piece” and once they sign them it will be, once again, “their year to go all the way”. I will say this, it’s been well over the decade, but at least the Dallas fans have actually seen their team “go all the way”. You wonder why Philly fans keep talking, then you visit their dying city that has bleeding population for decades and you realize they have nothing else to talk about.

41. sdw2001 says: May 8, 2011 9:52 AM

mytbradley says:
    May 7, 2011 6:51 PM

—————–

As an Eagles fan, I’m obligated to hate you. :) Putting that aside, we need a corner more than you do. Our secondary was freaking swiss cheese last year.

42. justanotherdummy says: May 8, 2011 10:39 AM

East96st, heard of the Phillies? We are doing just fine, the Eagles are not the only show in town here.

43. o0omorriso0o says: May 8, 2011 10:45 AM

ahhh the ole “Eagles never won a SuperBowl” thing going on huh? Seriously predicting future events on past results is just stupid…lol Nobody can predict who will win the SB, only play the odds. And the odds are very very very very good of the Eagles winning the SB if they get their hands on Asomgua. I mean your talking about already the top rated offense in the NFC, now having two probowl shutdown type cornerbacks with probably the best DL coach in all of football (Jim Washburn). And aready a special special teams… The Eagles gave the Packers all they could handle. We can play the what if game all we want (what if our K makes those 2 FGs, etc…) but point is the Eagles (the very young and supposed to be rebuilding Eagles) gave the SB champs all they could handle in both games. Eagles had 2 huge needs. RG & CB. Solved RG very nicely in draft. What a way to address the RCB…

44. jacksrants says: May 8, 2011 11:33 AM

The Redskins ?

If they make this move the better cut D – Hall immediately .
    Skins fans should remember Shanahan exposed D-Hall in his Raider debut with a rookie WR named Eddie Royal . He did this over and over . Made D-Hall look like a kid playing in the NFL .
    I think Royal had like 150 yds and 2 tds that night and every team followed suit for the next 7 games until the Raiders finally cut D-Hall realizing he is NOT a man up corner .

You don’t sign Nnamdi to play zone . He is the best man corner in the game . Moving towards this scheme will make D-Hall worthless as a man corner . He cannot do it. The SKins have done a good job using D-Hall in zones and bracket coverages and he is very good at those schemes . But you don’t sign a guy like Nnamdi for all that money and not play alot of man up coverage . Makes no sense .
    You do what the raiders do with him and leave him man up at the RCB position and give the LCB corner deep safety help . Nnamdi has struggled playing in the slot and he failed early in his career at LCB . Man up RCB is the only way you pay him the boatload of money he is going to get .

45. p4hbiz says: May 8, 2011 12:01 PM

All you guy’s sound stupid.. Al has a contract ready for him when the NFL opens back up.

Why would he want to go too the Redskins, Dallas or the Eagles.. Neither one of those teams have been to the playoffs in since forever.. LOL!

Give me a break, with new DB coach Rod Woodson on board in Oakland why would he leave… We went 6-0 in the AFC West and we’re once again on the rise..

Sounds Good Fellas, but whatever AL wants, AL get’s.

46. dallassux says: May 8, 2011 12:08 PM

east96st says:
    May 8, 2011 12:21 AM

———————————————————————————–

I know what makes me laugh. It’s the way eagles have smoked the Va-giants 6 straight and putting up over 35 points in 4 of them. Pretty sad to lose to team like that never won a super bowl.

Wait……I think desean just scored again.

47. andyreidisfat says: May 8, 2011 12:08 PM

Personally I would love to Nnamdi in Philly. But at the same time signing cheaper younger guys like Joseph or Marshall would be allright too as we already have the number corner inthe league by the numbers(yes Asante is number 1 by the numbers look it up, Philly.com did a good article on this acouple months back) or trading Kolb for DRC from Arizona would be a nice addition. Signing a cheaper player would leave the Eagles free to go after some interior Dline like Harris or even Fat al if his legal troubles are behind him.

I just hope Nnamdi doesn’t sign in Dallas or Green bay as that would make either team much better right away especially the packers who imo are the top talented team in the league with my Eagles just step behind right now(though at this point i find our line and reciving core to be better than the packers, the QB and pass rush for the Pack is just so good its hard to put anyone above them ).

If he signs in Washington who cares, Shanny will find a way to make another great player invisable by outting him in a situation to lose. God i wish dallas had hired that midget to be their coach.

48. dogsweat1 says: May 8, 2011 12:47 PM

Jeties……….

49. dallassux says: May 8, 2011 12:54 PM

————————————————-

Huh? The eagles have only missed the playoffs twice since 1999. Do some research first before you trash talk…..you look stupid.

And here I thought east96st was a bigger dope.

50. southpaw79 says: May 8, 2011 1:00 PM

Do not count out the Niners. No move needed, the Niners had a need in the secondary that they did not address (well) in the draft, and the niners can write off 9m off there offer to Nnamdi by dropping Nate Clements.

They have already shown they are willing to pay the big bucks for a cornerback. It might be that time again.

51. p4hbiz says: May 8, 2011 2:46 PM

@dallassux… Dude your team is going nowhere fast Dallas is the most overrated team in America.

The Eagles are washed up w/ a QB that is limited. Yes Limited! Vick is only going to take the Eagles so far, with the Falcons, Packers, Saints, Bucks, Giants on the rise those teams listed will not be in the playoffs in 2011.

And the Redskins?? Need I say more, lol.. And don’t worry about Philly~ What about Dallas? Chockers.

52. zeussuperman says: May 8, 2011 3:05 PM

east96st is just butthurt, because the Eagles have owned the Giants six games in a row.

Everyone remember when the Giants had homefield advantage in the playoffs, and all they could talk about was “Dynasty! Dynasty!” — as if the SB win the year before was won on talent and not the biggest fluke Superbowl Win of NFL history?

I remember it. I also remember Donovan McNabb torching the Giants overrated Defense, then picking up the Giants sideline phone to say “Hey guys, maybe you can beat us next year!”

But the thing is — they didn’t beat the Eagles the next year. Or the year after that. Why? Because New York City is a wholly owned sports subsidiary of Philadelphia at this point.

Hell, even Cliff Lee said “I know the Yankees are going to overpay me by millions to play for them, but since I have a choice I’ll go anywhere but that stinking overrated cesspool of a town.”

And I didn’t even have to bring up the Giants allowing the first walk-off punt return TD in NFL history!

Hahahaha. Owned.

53. macjacmccoy says: May 8, 2011 4:30 PM

There is no excuse for the Eagles not to sign him. They have been saving tons of money the last few years. They have probably had 1 of the lowest player salaries with 1 of the highest incomes of any playoff team the last couple of seasons. They probably need him more then any other Super bowl contender bc other teams could win without him I dont think the Eagles can. There defense is so young and lets admit it not that good Asomughwa would make them respectable.

I just dont see how they could justify not signing him while continueing to say winning is there number 1 priority.

54. 1bigtex says: May 8, 2011 6:59 PM

@p4hbiz

Regarding that whatever Al wants… Al gets statement; Just exactly how long is it now that Al has wanted a winning team?

55. jerrigo1 says: May 9, 2011 1:00 AM

dont forget abother the gmen.

Asomugha
    terrell thomas
    aaron ross
    corey webster

kenny philips
    antrelle rolle?

cmon this would be the best defensive back team in the league.

56. childressrulz says: May 9, 2011 1:49 AM

terrellblowens says: May 7, 2011 9:07 PM

_____________________
    First calling ANYONE in the NFC East a contender is the funniest thing I have heard in a week.
    Second if he wants to go to a contender (there is only one in the NFC) he should head to Green Bay.
    Third good Raider CBs come to Green Bay when it is time to win.
    Fourth Thompson does spend money when it is a player worth spending money on (see Woodson and Picket).
    Finally he would look good in green and gold holding our fifth superbowl trophy.
    To compelling to argue with right?

57. huejackson says: May 9, 2011 10:03 AM

Asomough is not leaving the raiders.
    Also if he did and the eagles took in it would be a huge mistake for any NFC east team to take him. He is not good in cold weather and he even admits it. He does not run as fast in the cold and gets burned alot in the cold.
    I think its funny that all u fans of other teams a year ago would all say Asomough sucks now that these no talented writers say he could land with your team YOU ALL WANT HIM….
    The funny thing is that Stanfor Routte of the raiders is way more talented than Asomough

58. readingrugby7 says: May 9, 2011 1:32 PM

Love how dallas fans are scared of the eagles landing nnamdi cracks me up!

59. pftareraiderhaters says: May 9, 2011 1:48 PM

lmao…….slow day, so keep it going with pipe dreams.

60. 1bigtex says: May 10, 2011 9:17 AM

@huejackson

Regarding that “Stanfor Routte of the raiders is way more talented than Asomough” statement; Routt has 38 games started total in his many seasons in Oakland and 36 passes defensed. YAWN!! The dude is turning 28 this summer and done squat in the league. Just because Al gives someone a bunch of money doesn’t mean they can play. If you have any doubts about that statement, please reference Jamarcus Russell, Javon Walker, Deangelo Hall…., well you get the drift.
    FYI, It is “Stanford Routt” and “Asomugha”. I know that it can be hard to remember how to spell “Nnambi Asomugha”, but come on dude, it’s in the posted article in bold faced print. Just scroll up.

61. offkiltereagle says: May 10, 2011 11:57 AM

p4hbiz says: May 8, 2011 12:01 PM

—————————————————————-

The Eagles have made the playoff in 10 of the last 12 years which is pretty much how many times your gayders have picked in the top 10 of the draft. You sound as senile as your owner.

and for the record DALLAS SUCKS!!!

62. offkiltereagle says: May 10, 2011 11:58 AM

p4hbiz says: May 8, 2011 12:01 PM

—————————————————————-

The Eagles have made the playoffs in 10 of the last 12 years which is pretty much how many times your gayders have picked in the top 10 of the draft. You sound as senile as your owner.

and for the record DALLAS SUCKS!!!

63. luckin18 says: May 13, 2011 11:36 AM