Report: Teams have contacted undrafted players

NFL Draft Football AP

With the lockout returning on Friday, April 29 following a brief, court-ordered hiatus, teams were not permitted to sign after the draft ended any of the players who weren’t picked.  In theory, teams also aren’t permitted to contact those players or their agents.

But contact the players and/or agents some teams are.

According to Pro Football Weekly, at least six agents have said that teams are contacting them about players who weren’t picked.   “It was almost like a normal year in terms of contact, a little less [phone contact] than normal maybe, only without the signed contracts at the end,” one of the agents said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFW that such contact would amount to tampering.

Which means that, as a practical matter, the league will do nothing about it, unless and until, for example, one of the teams gets caught red-handed and then confesses and then doesn’t ever try to take it back.  Every year, teams tamper with undrafted players by recruiting them before the draft has ended.  The league knows it, and the league never does anything about it.

The only difference here is that the NFL has launched a lockout.  But that doesn’t change the fact that the league is reluctant to publicly chastise teams that cheat.  Instead, the league office adopts a see/hear/speak-no-evil posture, acting only when a team’s conduct is so brazen that it gives the league no other choice.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
45 Responses to “Report: Teams have contacted undrafted players”
  1. zackd2 says: May 8, 2011 12:57 PM

See Belichick, keep doing what you’re doing. Just don’t leave video evidence this time.

2. myeaglescantwin says: May 8, 2011 1:00 PM

yoda type you do

“But contact the players and/or agent agents some teams are.”

3. dawsonleery says: May 8, 2011 1:05 PM

Someone better pick up Scott Lutrus, gonna be a solid player in the NFL.

4. willycents says: May 8, 2011 1:09 PM

I think that teams who violate the tampering rules, or even think of it, should be punished severely. Contact with an UNDRAFTED player or his agent should be punished by forfeiture of at least 8 games in the next season, even if the contact was possibly initiated by said player/agent. Teams that have “illegal” contact with a drafted/signed player should forfeit all games for 5 seasons, be allowed no contact with any player for that same time frame, and all management; ie, coaches, owners, etc, should be surgically nuetered on NFL network. That would teach them to violate those tampering rules that must be held sooo inviolate. /sarcasm

5. longislandcowboysfan says: May 8, 2011 1:11 PM

If these people were undrafted, that means that they are not NFL players and never have been. What separates them from me or you? They’ve never been a part of an NFL team and no team has ever had the rights to them. There’s no way they could be “locked out” because only players have been locked out. These people are not players until they’re under contract.
    In my opinion, they should be able to be contacted because of that loophole.
    Otherwise, anyone could technically be a prospective NFL players. Personally I would love to play in the NFL, but does that mean an NFL team contact me?

If undrafted players are being locked out, and there is no union to represent them, there is a complete and obvious anti-trust violation going on. There’s no way the NFL can win this case.

6. mhs8031 says: May 8, 2011 1:15 PM

I do not see why this is a violation. They are not contracted players, there is no certified union, and they are not (I assume) discussing compensation or giving out playbooks. What am I missing? Why was it OK to talk to them until they were drafted during a lockout, but you can’t talk to undrafted players after the draft?

7. vertekal says: May 8, 2011 1:19 PM

“But contact the players and/or agent agents some teams are.”
    ***************

Did Yoda write this?

8. mdpickles says: May 8, 2011 1:22 PM

Report: This lockout stinks!

9. dieharddolfan6493 says: May 8, 2011 1:23 PM

Just end the stupid lockout how hard is split 9 billion dollars selfish ass people

10. benh999 says: May 8, 2011 1:23 PM

Why is an undrafted player, not under contract any different than any other member of the public. Should a team GM suddenly be prohibited from talking to anyone who may at some point be in the league?

11. phillyeaglesphan says: May 8, 2011 1:24 PM

Mike,

Use your awesome wit and expertise to make these “owners” understand they are screwing up the game and have already.

Every year the league has operated in a manner which allows teams to better (in their view) their team, system, organization.

I guarantee that when teams perform like crap more than usual if there is football this year, it will come back to this lockout, free agent plans on hold, draft handcuffed along with trades, no immediate mini-camps, no adjustment period for rookies…etc.

Lockout has pretty much been a great big cluster fudge which will taint, ha ha mark these words taint the season!!!

12. mrfrostyj says: May 8, 2011 1:32 PM

How about we just let the owners of the teams who don’t give a flying you know what about the money issues go about the season like normal while the rest of them battle it out in court. It’s obvious some of these owners aren’t too happy about the lockout either and are telling their front offices to play it like work as usual but without getting caught while their colleagues whine about money.

13. louderthanwords1 says: May 8, 2011 1:34 PM

Is this really a surprise to anyone?

14. ar1888 says: May 8, 2011 1:34 PM

Let me guess, Jerry Jones, and Bill Belicheat.

15. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 8, 2011 1:35 PM

My agent contacted me yesterday and told me 5 teams were interested in signing me.

I asked him why should I play in a country that makes up lies about attacks on the twin towers and later murders a muslim her in B Laden.

I also asked him why should I play in a country that will allow stores to sue me just because I refuse to pay my bill.

I further inquired as to why I should subject myself to playing in a league that MIGHT discipline me when I get arrested, or use drugs.

I then demanded for him to tell me why I would ever want to play for a slavemaster.

In addition I wanted to know why I should play in a league that won’t let me take over and do whatever I want, regardless of laws and rules. Ya know like the NBA allows it’s players.

His response was I could make millions.

I asked him WHERE DO I SIGN!!!!!

NFL players, hypocrisy at it’s finest

16. bigjabroni says: May 8, 2011 1:44 PM

So if your a former college player and you dont have a job, I as an owner cannot talk to you at all? Am I missing something. How is that tampering? You have nothing to do with professional football.

17. dryble says: May 8, 2011 2:07 PM

Must be a team like the Patriots or the Steelers. If it was the Lions they would have already lost multiple draft picks.

18. stoutfiles says: May 8, 2011 2:08 PM

“But contact the players and/or agent agents some teams are.”

Did Yoda write this article?

19. sdiegosteel says: May 8, 2011 2:08 PM

I’m completely disgusted by the owners. While they try to get yet another billion dollars into their hands, they are ruining the chances of young men to possibly get the one $340,000 paycheck that they may ever receive in their lives. If this lockout is going to take away training camp and preseason games, the chances that these undrafted free agents will make teams goes from miniscule to next to nothing – - and the careers of Wes Welker, James Harrison, Josh Cribbs, Pat Williams, London Fletcher, Bart Scott, Ryan Grant, etc, etc are never seen.

The NFL makes it easier every single day to care about it less.

20. pjgrannan says: May 8, 2011 2:27 PM

This seems to raise a VERY interesting question regarding the lockout, however. It would seem by their actions in ignoring the lockout when it suits their purposes these owners would be helping to make the argument for “irreparable harm” not only to players, but certainly to UDFAs and most significantly for legal purposes to the league itself.

21. prmpft says: May 8, 2011 2:29 PM

…GASP!!!… blow, heave, hyperventilate, pant, puff, wheeze, choke, gag, gulp, huff; asphyxiate, smother, stifle, strangle; snore, snuffle; exhale, expire…

22. dunks7fbb says: May 8, 2011 2:30 PM

“But contact the players and/or agent agents some teams are.”

Is Yoda working for PFT now?

23. denverdave3 says: May 8, 2011 2:42 PM

If a rule isn’t worth enforcing, it isn’t worth having. Modify it or drop it, but don’t ignore it

24. mrone50 says: May 8, 2011 2:48 PM

And the owners are your heroes how? Somebody please explain that. This is a clear cut example of the owners wanting to have it both ways.

25. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 8, 2011 3:00 PM

“But that doesn’t change the fact that the league is reluctant to publicly chastise teams that cheat. Instead, the league office adopts a see/hear/speak-no-evil posture, acting only when a team’s conduct is so brazen that it gives the league no other choice.”

*******************************************

Translation:

The league and Roger Goodell doesn’t mind cheating if it benefits the league, however they will deny cheating ever occurs. If a team (New England) continues to cheat even after the league warns them that someone is making noise, then that worries the league. When the noise catches ear of the media and they start digging, it becomes harder for the league to sweep the favortism and cheating happenings under the rug and deny the existence.
    When the public becomes aware through the media, then, and ONLY then, will the league take action against a rogue coach(Belicheat) that continued to ignore the leagues warning to lay low for awhile.
    Even though only the team, their fans, and 911 and JFK conspirists will believe that the only thing that happened was the head coach “misinterpeted” a very minor rule.

26. txchief says: May 8, 2011 3:01 PM

Shades of Bill Belichick.

27. krow101 says: May 8, 2011 3:09 PM

What a bunch of cheating lowlife. Outside of the Patriots we’ll probably never know who they are.

28. xtb3 says: May 8, 2011 3:15 PM

“teams are contacting undrafted players”. Nudge nudge wink wink to play scab football for them. AND since there is no union these guys really arent scabs as the term is used. Question is how low can these owners go?

29. rushbacker says: May 8, 2011 3:23 PM

_____________

As they should. No one but a lawyer could possibly care about tampering.

30. romoscollarbone says: May 8, 2011 3:31 PM

If there is no CBA because the owners chose to cancel it, and the players decertified. How are undrafted FAs off limits? They aren’t part of the non-existent union, and haven’t signed their rights away to anybody? From my point of view, they should be able to talk to them, there are no rules….. They can’t be signed, but all prelim stuff could be settled with a handshake. And I’m sure there would be plenty of stories like last year when LaGarrett Blount snubbed the Niners and signed with the Titans. But this is uncharted waters by and large that we are in.

.02\

31. nowathand twitter.com/Chris_M_Bach says: May 8, 2011 3:38 PM

If I were a team, I would have contacted every potential undrafted free agent during the last several rounds and told them there is a small chance we were going to be able to draft them and if we didn’t, that we still wanted them later on, as soon as possible.

Just my two cents.

32. thefiesty1 says: May 8, 2011 3:46 PM

No harm, no foul. Of course they are contacting the players and agents. It’s still a business and there will be games this season with or without the players involved in the lawsuit.

With the lockout in place there is still a lot of contact between players, coaches, teams and agents. They’ll all hit the ground running as soon as the lock out is lifted.

33. Kave Krew says: May 8, 2011 3:59 PM

Sounds to me that all 32 teams are doing this and 6 agents have confirmed it……..so screw all you pious losers insinuating that only the greatest coach in NFL history who has his franchise in a position to win for another decade is the only one doing it.

34. mempusa says: May 8, 2011 4:02 PM

Not only do you have to stay away from the players and those drafted, stay from anyone who might be able to play pro football! WoW

35. realitypolice says: May 8, 2011 4:14 PM

longislandcowboysfan says:
    May 8, 2011 1:11 PM

In my opinion, they should be able to be contacted because of that loophole.
    ======================

You’re opinion is irrelevant here. The teams have been told that part of the lockout is that they are not to contact undrafted FA’s.

If they have, they violated the terms of their own lockout.

The eighth circuit will just LOVE that.

36. FinFan68 says: May 8, 2011 4:27 PM

teams were not permitted to sign after the draft ended any of the players who weren’t picked. In theory, teams also aren’t permitted to contact those players or their agents.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In theory, this site may have made an incorrect assumption. It seems to me that the undrafted players are not affiliated in any way with the league yet and like others have mentioned, they are no different than you or me. The lockout prevents contracts so the most that can happen is talking. Once a team drafts a player they own the “rights” to that player and they would be considered players at that point. This has not happened with these “potential” players.
    Please report on what the lockout stipulations actually say rather than trying to guess what they should mean.

37. mrone50 says: May 8, 2011 4:28 PM

Dear Retards,

You do know that if a team is negotiating with UDFAs than that means all players drafted should have the same right to negotiate with what ever team they want to go to? That’s because they are not unionized players as you all so eloguently put it.

38. changsteinelgamal says: May 8, 2011 5:32 PM

The lockout is an agreement between the clubs, not an agreement between the league and the players (obviously). Tampering seems to be the wrong word, but the upshot is that teams who are contacting undrafted players (whether they are just regular joes now or not) are screwing other teams who are following the rules *of their own lockout*. That’s the problem.

39. chatham10 says: May 8, 2011 6:58 PM

Let us remember, agents are lawyers. I think the agents should name the teams and uphold their honest profession. You never know if the agent or lawyer is lying unless their lips move.

40. duffer58 says: May 8, 2011 7:44 PM

I was not drafted and have not been contacted by any team. perhaps my 7.2 40 is holding me back.

41. stataddict says: May 8, 2011 8:03 PM

I’m surprised that teams aren’t contacting undrafted free agents and offering them jobs as paid interns. Seems like a nice, easy way of skirting the whole issue.

42. carvrocafella says: May 8, 2011 9:07 PM

So here’s the million dollar question. If the owners shut the entire season down. Do the undrafted free agents get their opportunity to be signed by a team before next years draft or do they just lose their opportunity to play at the professional level? Also, what would be the 2012 draft order be? This has to be the dumbest strike ever, greed hurts everyone. The owners should be puneshed!!!

43. transam7816 says: May 9, 2011 1:24 AM

“The owners should be puneshed!!!”

Your grade school teachers should be punished!!!

44. phinfan says: May 9, 2011 8:39 AM

Since when is a undrafted player any different from a drafted player? They never worked for the nfl they shouldnt be included in the nfl lockout. Sure veteran freeagents, but not undrafted college kids. We held the draft, so finish?!

45. melonnhead says: May 9, 2011 8:47 AM

If you’re wondering who the cheaters are, might want to look at the teams that have been busted for cheating before. 49ers, Broncos, Patriots, Steelers, etc.