Gus Johnson says reports of his departure from CBS are “premature”

Michigan State v Purdue Getty Images

Last week, Richard Deitsch of SI.com reported that NFL (and NCAA basketball) play-by-play announcer Gus Johnson has left CBS.  Then, Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News reported that the report of Johnson’s departure is “premature,” citing an unnamed industry source.

Over the weekend, Raissman apparently disclosed his undisclosed source in an item that quotes Johnson as calling the report “premature.”

“I’m dealing with a potential life change,” Johnson told Raissman, via SportsBusiness Daily.  “That’s a scary place to be.”

Johnson apparently confirmed to Raissman that he has an offer from FOX, and that CBS has an opportunity to match.  (It remains unclear whether Johnson is giving CBS a chance to meet FOX’s numbers as a gratuity, or whether it’s contractually required.)

“It’s not just basketball, it’s the NCAA Tournament.  It’s something I have to weigh.  It’s something that’s on my mind,” Johnson told Raissman.  “Basketball is my thing.  If this does happen, and I do leave CBS, within a span of one year I would have left two places that have provided me the greatest opportunity, the greatest platform for basketball — the Knicks and CBS.  But to borrow an old Latrell Sprewell line, ‘I’ve got to feed my family.’”

Johnson said that the emergence of the story of his departure last week provided a distraction as he prepared to work the Pacquaio-Mosley fight for Showtime, a CBS subsidiary.

“Of course it affected my normal preparation,” Johnson said.  “I’ve got a million things on my mind.  I’m thinking about my future, I’m thinking about my family, I’m thinking about my money and I’m thinking about the fight.”

We like Gus a lot as an announcer, but he’s laying the drama on a little thick here.  Either way, he’ll have a job — and the financial terms apparently are set.  The only question is whether he’ll get “my money” from FOX or CBS.  Based on his level of stress over an issue about which there really shouldn’t be one (especially when it comes to “my money”), our guess is that he really doesn’t want to leave CBS, and that he’s hoping CBS will match the FOX offer.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
17 Responses to “Gus Johnson says reports of his departure from CBS are “premature””
  1. randolph32 says: May 9, 2011 3:43 PM

I hope he stays with CBS as well, great college B’ball announcer!!!

2. citizenstrange says: May 9, 2011 3:47 PM

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated./Mark Twained

3. paulitik74 says: May 9, 2011 3:50 PM

That said, I’d rather see him go to Fox, where he’ll cover NFC teams. I’d love to get him covering a couple Falcons games a year.

4. dogsweat1 says: May 9, 2011 3:53 PM

Gus Johnson is the best.

Very UR!!!

5. dogsweat1 says: May 9, 2011 3:54 PM

BTW

Gus can do any sport and make it sound great!

6. pacificamjr says: May 9, 2011 3:55 PM

nobody cares

7. kindbass says: May 9, 2011 4:02 PM

KEEP GUS

8. broncobourque says: May 9, 2011 4:04 PM

“We like Gus a lot as an announcer, but he’s laying the drama on a little thick here. Either way, he’ll have a job — and the financial terms apparently are set. The only question is whether he’ll get “my money” from FOX or CBS. Based on his level of stress over an issue about which there really shouldn’t be one (especially when it comes to “my money”), our guess is that he really doesn’t want to leave CBS, and that he’s hoping CBS will match the FOX offer.”

You mentioned earlier in the post about the fact that Gus loves basketball and considers it “his thing”. Wouldn’t you be a little bit stressed if you we faced with having to be a baseball reporter in order to make the same money? He knows he will be making good money either way but he would prefer to be able to keep calling NCAA basketball games and moving to Fox doesn’t really allow him to keep doing that.

9. dramah says: May 9, 2011 4:05 PM

Using the ‘I’ve got to feed my family.’ quote alone makes me dislike Gus Johnson. Find someone better to quote next time, or better yet…keep your financial ‘trouble’ out of the media as it is no trouble at all. Go work three jobs trying to support your family and then we’ll talk.

10. DonRSD says: May 9, 2011 4:09 PM

stay on cbs with the afc teams.

i dont want you screaming for my Giants over a 3 yard run.

gus = most annoying announcer on tv.

11. hobartbaker says: May 9, 2011 4:15 PM

Reports of that insufferable little twit’s demise are way overdue.

- Hobart Baker.

12. 49ersforever says: May 9, 2011 4:48 PM

Hopefully Gus goes to FOX. I love watching the NFL and NCAA tournament on CBS and would love it even more without this idiot screaming about every single thing that happens.

13. thefiesty1 says: May 9, 2011 5:00 PM

Who is this guy? I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard him announce a game. Of course, I don’t follow round ball.

14. tatum064 says: May 9, 2011 6:21 PM

“How about we get him on either Sunday Night Football or Monday Night Football. I can’t stand either crews. That would be epic. ”

AMEN.

15. redskinsrt says: May 9, 2011 6:41 PM

His poor, starving children.

16. axespray says: May 9, 2011 8:11 PM

as a Packer Fan that doesn’t miss a game and has to listen to the non-emotional Buck & Aikmen Duo every sundays on FOX, I’d love to Trade Aikmen & Buck for Gus Johnson.

all the Gus Johnson Haters that watch CBS can see what it’s like to listen to the non-emotional boring duo that don’t scream everytime something happens.

17. flyigglesfly says: May 9, 2011 11:12 PM

@dramah

I think you’re completely misinterpreting what Gus said. If you look closely at it, he even says hes quoting Spreewell, a quote that got a lot of negative attention at the time. I think he’s clearly being tongue in cheek about the whole process, since everyone knows he’ll be just fine financially no matter what way this plays out. That quote is in fact one of the reasons I love Gus, he’s smart enough to make a clever reference like that on top of the emotion he brings to the games he calls.