Adrian Peterson, Vince Young working out in Houston

Green Bay Packers v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Though it remains to be seen where quarterback Vince Young’s career continue, he’s spending plenty of time during the lockout with Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.

According to KPRC-TV in Houston (via NFL.com), Young has been working out with Peterson on a regular basis.

“It’s been that way,” Young said.  “Adrian and the other guys are here to work.  It’s a good time out here then we lift together, eat lunch, bond and build chemistry.  Keeping that football brotherhood is what it’s all about.”

Young said that the thumb that ended his 2010 season has healed, along with a lingering shoulder issue.  Though he doesn’t know where he’ll play in 2011, his goal remains the same.

“When the season comes, wherever I am, I am going in full throttle, head on right and ready to work,” Young said.  “I want to lead my team to the playoffs and a championship and that’s all that’s on my mind, get to those areas right now.”

The Titans will release Young on or before the 10th day of the 2011 league year, unless they find a trade partner.  Before the draft, the Vikings were regarded as a potential destination, given that quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson previously served in that capacity with the Titans.  Though the selection of Christian Ponder with the 12th overall pick has tempered such talk, coach Leslie Frazier told PFT Live last week that if the team signs a veteran quarterback the goal will be to have him compete for the starting job and not serve as a backup and mentor for Ponder.  If the price is right, Young could possibly be an option.

Either way, it’s unlikely that he’ll be handed a starting job.  Wherever he goes, he’ll have to earn his playing time.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Adrian Peterson, Vince Young working out in Houston”
  1. hawkeye6 says: May 11, 2011 10:57 PM

Gronkowski disapproves.

2. timegambit says: May 11, 2011 10:58 PM

I hope AP teaches him how to throw.

3. jbaxt says: May 11, 2011 11:02 PM

For comparing his profession to that of slaves he sure must like the work…

I wonder if the slaves practiced cotton-picking in their off-season… I mean lock-out…

4. hosmachine says: May 11, 2011 11:02 PM

Vikes just love working those “Back Channel Contacts” with other teams players. Farve 2.0? Next Tennessee will try to file tampering charges as soon as the CBA is done.

5. freedomispopular says: May 11, 2011 11:04 PM

“…head on right…”

That’s questionable.

6. terrellblowens says: May 11, 2011 11:09 PM

Vince Young isn’t a guy who is old or mature enough to mentor a rookie and accept a role of veteran waiting to be displaced. He is still young and has upside although he needs to get his head on straight. A better option would be McNabb. Or if the Vikings actually gave any thought to the future of the QB position, they could have drafted a QB to groom a couple of years ago when they had Favre.

Which is why I think their front office is a joke. The Vikings were in “Super Bowl or bust” mode for 2 years with Favre but they didn’t even bother to consider who would be the successor to Favre?

7. jeremytamu says: May 11, 2011 11:14 PM

He came to one of our high school basketball games one time and everyone was excited to see him and the one mentally hadicapped kid went up and asked for his autograph. he then proceeded to make fun of the kid for the duration of the game and it left a very poor look into who this kid really is. so much for a “Hometown hero”

8. berniemadoffsides says: May 11, 2011 11:22 PM

So Adrian Peterson and Vince Young are lovers.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

9. agentcharlescarmichael says: May 11, 2011 11:44 PM

I just flashed on Vince Young’s picture. Vince young-NFL bust, works for huge underground business ran by Jamarcus Russell himself. Yes you guessed it they ship large quantities of codeine across the united states and in his free time he loves to have fun by jokingly running out of his many homes with his pistol saying hes going to hurt himself.

10. macjacmccoy says: May 11, 2011 11:59 PM

“Though the selection of Christian Ponder with the 12th overall pick has tempered such talk”

“Either way, it’s unlikely that he’ll be handed a starting job. Wherever he goes, he’ll have to earn his playing time.”

Yea I was about to say before I read the ending that I dont see why it would temper the talk. I dont think anyone is planning to sign Vince Young as a walk on starter right off the street. Most of the teams that needed qbs got 1 in the draft and for the few teams that didnt I think guys like Kolb, Mcnabb, Hasselback and possibly Palmer and Orton (if they are moved) will all be looked at before and rated higher then Vince Young.

If he wants to be a starter the best case scenario for him is to get signed by a team with a young developing qb or 1 with a qb on the bubble. That way he will have a chance to play his way onto the field. The best thing for his career though might be to go the Mike Vick route. Signing a 1 year contract with a team with a great coaching staff and an entrenched committed pro-bowl starter who puts in the work could really help him.

Young has all the talent in the world but he has the same bad qualties and habits that Vick had. The big ego, laziness, immaturity, the partying, the night life, the habit of not being prepared, not taking the game serious enough, and believing his natural talent was enough are all things he and the younger Vick had in common.

He needs to go to a team like the Saints, Patriots, Giants, Packers, Colts or even the Eagles(once Kolb is gone) that will help break him of those habits. If he wants to succeed in the future swallowing his ego now and committing to getting better is the only way hes going to impove. Vick had the same chance that Young had now. He could have want to a team that was having qb problems and tried to battle for the starting job but he didnt. He decide to go somewhere where he could get better and look how it payed off.

Vick took a big risk when he decide to go to Philadelphia . He was already 30 and missed 3 years of football. Making the choice to join the Eagles basically meant he was going to miss another year of real football action . Young doesnt have those problems. He is still relatively young and has a long career ahead of him if he does it right. Taking a year to get better isnt nearly as big a risk for Young as it was for Vick. And I dont see there being an excuse for him not to do it.

11. Daboys says: May 12, 2011 12:12 AM

I think AP would actually be more scary as a QB than Vince is….

12. goawayeverybody says: May 12, 2011 12:16 AM

Was Pervy consulted before AP started working out with VY?

13. ravensfan4life52 says: May 12, 2011 1:06 AM

I like Vince Young I don’t care what anybody says. Jeff Fisher never liked or supported Vince and that’s why he didn’t work out in Tennessee. I’ll admit Vince wasn’t very mature, but it seems to me like he’s grown up. I don’t know where Vince is going to play but I wish him the best of luck.

14. sooner712 says: May 12, 2011 1:08 AM

Jeremy I think that is urban legend not truth. I hope VY go to the Vikings, and prove all the haters wrong.

15. whatswiththehate says: May 12, 2011 2:00 AM

agentcharlescarmichael says:May 11, 2011 11:44 PM

——————–
    It’s postings like this that make many really wonder if sports sites are become breeding ground for hate and bigotry. Especially, when many in the sports media themselves are encouraging it for the sake of web-hits.

At last check, Ryan Leaf was a hard drug abuser. So I’m not sure why Ja Marcus is the poster child for drug usage with so many of you.

And also, why do you love to play god and determine who you going to continue to punish for the sins and who we’re going to forgive and give many chances too in the NFL?

16. NoHomeTeam says: May 12, 2011 2:50 AM

“When the season comes, wherever I am, I am going in full throttle, head on right and ready to work,” Young said. “I want to lead my UFL team to the playoffs and a championship and that’s all that’s on my mind, get to those areas right now.”

17. carson9 says: May 12, 2011 3:32 AM

Thats ashame. The Vikes could’ve drafted Nick Fairly to replace their ancient DTs with their 12th pick and traded their 43rd pick for VY. Instead they drafted a QB with the 12th pick that had just as many TD’s as 7th round 208th pick QB Greg McElroy did and allowed Fairly to go to the arch rival Lions. I actually like the Vikings, but this was a horrible draft….

18. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 12, 2011 4:41 AM

One Quarterback wannabe
    and
    one Al Sharpton wannabe

19. alewatcher says: May 12, 2011 5:36 AM

—————

Vince Young’s mom does not like this.

20. richm2256 says: May 12, 2011 8:51 AM

Keeping that football brotherhood is what it’s all about
    ————————————————–

If by “football brotherhooh” they mean fellow slaves, yeah I get it. It’s great to see Young bond with Kinta Kunte and discuss how they’re going to escape their respective plantation owners.

jeremytamu says:

Are you referring to Young here? This was shameful behavior, and we need to know which one of these jacka$$ses behaved so poorly.

21. rc33 says: May 12, 2011 9:14 AM

Anyone out there who’d be willing to trade the 43rd pick in the draft for Vince Young?
    Anyone?

No maturity.
    No leadership skills and
    No longer a kid.

If it was the 143rd pick, depending on my QB situation, I’d think about it.

22. mlenenski says: May 12, 2011 9:33 AM

Whoever said “Young should go the same route as Mike Vick” was right on….in fact, the Eagles would be a perfect fit, Young would be a perfect there when Vick goes down. OMG!

23. goawayeverybody says: May 12, 2011 12:10 PM

Where’s Pervy?

24. thephantomstranger says: May 12, 2011 12:17 PM

Frazier may want a guy who can compete for a starting position but he also wants a guy who can mentor Ponder. I don’t think he wants Ponder to learn anything from Young.

25. theytukrjobs says: May 12, 2011 3:45 PM

Ponder really has his head on straight. Look at the kid’s track record. If we get Vince Young to compete, it would be Ponder mentoring Vince.