1995 AFC Championship game still haunts Harbaugh

JimHarbaugh

Each day, PFT Live producer Matt Casey sends out a wide assortment of possible clips from the show we can choose from to post on the rumor mill.

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh gave a lot of interesting, newsy answers about his squad that are relevant to today’s NFL.  And I’m not going to pick any of them.

The segment that interested me most was Harbaugh’s recollection of the 1995 AFC Championship against the Steelers, and the near-catch by Aaron Bailey that almost sent an upstart Colts team to the Super Bowl.

“Coming that close to your dream of participating in the Super Bowl, and then seeing it brush by your face in an instant, and you walk off the field and you go ‘there will be other days,'” Harbaugh said.  “And then you realize it was the only day.”

I remember the play well.  It’s a reminder how lives can change on one snap, and how random winning can be.

“It haunts you in a lot of ways to come that close to your dream and not get to touch it,” Harbaugh said.

For the rest of Harbaugh’s interview, head to the PFT Live homepage or download the show at iTunes.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
26 Responses to “1995 AFC Championship game still haunts Harbaugh”
  1. thephantomstranger says: May 12, 2011 5:20 PM

“I remember the play well. It’s a reminder how lives can change on one snap, and how random winning can be.”

Packer fans are convinced that they’re going on a 5-Super Bowl winning streak, so I don’t think they agree with that statement.

2. normswifevera says: May 12, 2011 5:22 PM

He’s not even in that game if not for the Chiefs’ kicker pulling the biggest choke job since Mama Cass and her ham sandwich.

3. jfreak213 says: May 12, 2011 5:35 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t bring up Kordell Stewart stepping out of bounds and then catching a TD. That’s the play I remember most.

4. paulieorkid says: May 12, 2011 5:44 PM

The Steelers haven’t been very kind to either of the Harbaugh brothers, “haunting” both Jim and John by punching their tickets to more Super Bowls … at “Harbaugh expense.”

I dig it.

5. 52crabcakes says: May 12, 2011 5:44 PM

i despise indy so I am glad you lost!

6. clarionlibraries says: May 12, 2011 6:08 PM

Shades of Moonlight Graham.

7. arkadyrenko says: May 12, 2011 6:13 PM

“Coming that close to your dream of participating in the Super Bowl, and then seeing it brush by your face in an instant, and you walk off the field and you go ‘there will be other days,’” Harbaugh said. ”And then you realize it was the only day.”

Jim Harbaugh is plagiarizing Field of Dreams!

8. Deb says: May 12, 2011 6:22 PM

You remember it well, Gregg? Were you born in 1995? ;)

Jim Harbaugh played the game with a lot of heart and I felt for him that day. We’d gone down to San Diego on a similar play the year before, coming just a half-yard short. This time it was our turn. But that Super Bowl loss was a crushing defeat. The SBXLV loss didn’t compare. The first thing out of both our mouths when my brother and I spoke after the game: It’s not as bad as ’95. The one thing that helped take the sting out of losing to the Packers was knowing Kevin Greene and Darren Perry from our ’95 defense would finally get Super Bowl rings as members of the Packers’ coaching staff.

9. siggy00 says: May 12, 2011 6:40 PM

“I’m surprised he didn’t bring up Kordell Stewart stepping out of bounds and then catching a TD. That’s the play I remember most”

Don’t remember when Jason Belser wasn’t called for PI in the end zone huh?

Gotta loved selective memory.

10. sterilizecromartie says: May 12, 2011 6:47 PM

As a lifelong Colts fan, to this day that was still the most exciting game I have ever watched. That was a tough, gritty, Colts team that really appealed to their fans.

Making it an even more bitter pill to swallow was how exciting the Dallas-Indy game year was the following year. It just made me realize how great of a Super Bowl it would have been had Bailey made that catch.

Instead we got a thrilling Super Bowl that consisted of Neil O’ Donnell throwing to Larry Brown all day.

11. hotdog113 says: May 12, 2011 7:07 PM

Lifelong Colts fan is an interesting statement….

12. micker716 says: May 12, 2011 7:39 PM

I remember thinking how close we came to having the worst team with the worst QB ever to play in a Super Bowl.

13. jfreak213 says: May 12, 2011 7:49 PM

“Don’t remember when Jason Belser wasn’t called for PI in the end zone huh?

Gotta loved selective memory.”

Yes, because a subjective call should be treated exactly the same as an objective call.

PI changes from official to official, game to game. Out of bounds is always out of bounds.

NEXT.

14. realitypolice says: May 12, 2011 8:01 PM

micker716 says:
    May 12, 2011 7:39 PM
    ===========================

Have you forgotten that Rex Grossman played in a Super Bowl?

15. TheWizard says: May 12, 2011 8:33 PM

I don’t “remember it well” but I was pulling for the Colts cause they weren’t exactly tearing it up in those years.

Close.

16. riverhorsey says: May 12, 2011 8:41 PM

Doesn’t haunt him as much as the KC kicker haunts the Chiefs fans from that year.

17. freedomispopular says: May 12, 2011 8:45 PM

@realitypolice
    Yeah, but even in spite of having Grossman, they were a pretty good team, at leas on defense. Certainly not the worst team to make it to a Super Bowl.

18. turtlehut says: May 12, 2011 9:03 PM

I remember the replays showing Kordell Stewart running out of the end zone, then back in, no flag, before scoring what proved to be the game winning touchdown

19. xli2006 says: May 12, 2011 9:34 PM

Damn I thought he caught that hail mary. I have that play forever etched in my memory bank. Capt Comeback nearly pulled off the ultimate miracle play.

On top of that, there was a sure pick 6 that was dropped which would have sealed the game on the previous drive.

Wasn’t meant to be that Sunday.

20. holdontotheball says: May 12, 2011 9:42 PM

Wasn’t it Coryatt that missed the sure pick 6 that would have won the game for the Colts.

I remember holding my breath during the hail mary, but I think the missed pick 6 hit him in the hands … and then the facemask … and then the ground.

21. skins23 says: May 12, 2011 9:47 PM

Haha PFT got played…. Harbaugh is just quoting Field of Dreams.

22. refuse2fail says: May 12, 2011 10:09 PM

I always thought he caught the ball too. The Colts got robbed and the Superbowl was a joke.

23. fballguy says: May 12, 2011 10:52 PM

That’s a direct quote from Field of Dreams. Guess he’s a fan. I don’t blame him.

24. realitypolice says: May 12, 2011 11:02 PM

freedomispopular says:
    May 12, 2011 8:45 PM
    @realitypolice
    ======================

Quite true, I was only referring to the “worst QB” part.

The Bears must have been a hell of a good team to make the Super Bowl with him at QB.

25. hobartbaker says: May 12, 2011 11:39 PM

Harbaugh has probably never had an original thought or made an original remark in his life. I expect him to preface every statement with “At this point I am not running for office, but if I were…”.

26. hobartbaker says: May 12, 2011 11:45 PM

Jimbo harbaughs some regrets.