Packers will give Al Harris a Super Bowl ring

AlHarrisGetty Getty Images

Even though cornerback Al Harris didn’t play a down for the Packers in 2010, the team has decided to give him a piece of the ultimate NFL prize — a Super Bowl ring.

Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy recently said that Harris will receive a ring, according to Kareem Copeland of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Harris suffered a torn ACL during the 2009 season, and he started 2010 on the Physically Unable to Perform list.  With younger corners stepping up, the Packers released him instead of adding him to the active roster or placing him on injured reserve.

The move comes after the team absorbed a bit of a P.R. hit when opting not to bring players on IR to Dallas when the team made the trip, which would have kept the injured players out of the official Super Bowl team photo.  The team eventually altered its plans after players like linebacker Nick Barnett and tight end Jermichael Finley complained about the decision.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Packers will give Al Harris a Super Bowl ring”
  1. jc1958cool says: May 13, 2011 7:27 AM

if he could cover plaxico he’d have 2 rings

2. calloustongue says: May 13, 2011 7:33 AM

Classy move. Without the emergence of Sam Shields, Harris would have been a Packer all season. The guy did everything he could to come back from a gruesome injury and the Packers did everything they could to give him a chance again.

Harris really mentored the heck out of the younger players and will always have a place in the heart of this Packer fan.

Thanks Al, enjoy your ring.

3. dccowboy says: May 13, 2011 7:44 AM

Classy move by a classy organization.

Bravo Zulu.

4. clawledge says: May 13, 2011 7:56 AM

Good decision by the Packers.

5. Kaz says: May 13, 2011 8:03 AM

While it’s a nice gesture, I don’t think I’d take it if I was Al. They did cut him, then they want to pacify him with a ring? While nice, why would he want a ring from a team who won a superbowl that he wasn’t on? Is he going to wear it like he was on the team? I’d say thanks but no thanks.

6. 319hike says: May 13, 2011 8:06 AM

This is not charity. Al was on the team (PUP), practiced, went to games and contributed to the team until his release. Wear it with honor.

7. bengalsown says: May 13, 2011 8:11 AM

@Kaz

Yeah, I’d easily turn down a ring worth tens of thousands of dollars, just so I could send a message.

8. angryblackman4justice says: May 13, 2011 8:13 AM

classless move, guess it’s something a OWNER would do in the wrong.

9. jerlee7 says: May 13, 2011 8:21 AM

Al Harris was a great Packer who will undoubtedly end up in the Packer Hall of Fame. He deserves the ring.

10. lennydpocketqb says: May 13, 2011 8:28 AM

Nice.

11. Kaz says: May 13, 2011 8:29 AM

Give me a thumbs down all you want. I guess you guys would run around sporting a superbowl ring for a team you wasn’t even on… We use to call that back in the day a term short for perpetrating.. I’d be embarrased.

12. bealeman says: May 13, 2011 8:34 AM

Tough call Kaz. But teams don’t win a SuperBowl in one season. Yes, I said that. Team win SuperBowls by getting better and better and finally getting over the hump. Al Harris was a critical component in the Packers consistently getting better. He deserves the ring. It’s what Hollywood would call a ‘lifetime achievement’ award.

Classy move.

13. orangeflh says: May 13, 2011 8:37 AM

They only cut him so that he could try and catch on as a starter elsewhere. Unfortunately it just didn’t work out. Al Harris was, and is, one of my favorite Packers of all time.

14. 66rick says: May 13, 2011 8:38 AM

Might as well give one to every season ticket holder too. This would be like the Steelers giving Allen Rossum, Jerame Tuman, and Clint Kriewaldt a ring from SBXLIII….they were cut before the 2008 season. dumb

15. offkiltereagle says: May 13, 2011 8:43 AM

We will soon be seeing Al on the next episode of Pawn Stars

16. jbythebay says: May 13, 2011 8:52 AM

after Al Harris was cut, he took out an ad in a newspaper thanking the community and Packers organization for his time in Green Bay. This is just the Packers way of saying thank you back to Al.

17. sacram3ntal says: May 13, 2011 8:55 AM

This is a great gesture, and one that I think will be deeply appreciated by Al and just about every Packer fan.

He contributed A LOT to getting that team to where they are; you hear teams say “it’s a business and there are hard decisions sometimes but —– will always be a part of the family” pretty often, but you seldom see teams back that statement up in such a meaningful way.

18. 13xworldchamps says: May 13, 2011 9:01 AM

Kaz says: May 13, 2011 8:03 AM

______________________________________

Easy thing to say when you weren’t the one out there, busting your backside to try to get back. He was on the team, actually the PUP list, and the Packers decision not to put him on the field turned out to be correct, because he was reinjured as a dolphin.

Read the newspaper Ad Al Harris to out after his release were he thanked the organization, his team mates and the fans for supporting him.

Classy guy, classy organization, classy move

Wear it with pride Al Harris, you deserve it.

19. imjinbrdgr says: May 13, 2011 9:05 AM

How about a ring for all us shareholders?

20. Kaz says: May 13, 2011 9:13 AM

bengalsown says:
    May 13, 2011 8:11 AM
    @Kaz

__

Um we are talking about a multi-millionaire. 10′s of thoughsand isn’t nothing. Maybe you and I would take it, but Al’s made millions….. Clearly I differ from most, but that’s fine.

21. imongo says: May 13, 2011 9:27 AM

That was a classy move…Now he has something to pawn when his bonus runs out.

22. stellarperformance says: May 13, 2011 9:29 AM

Only the Packers management and Harris’ teammates can determine the manner in which he contributed to the success of the franchise. It’s their decision, not ours. They see things we don’t see. It’s not like they are throwing these rings out there for just anybody.

23. henrypuppyhead says: May 13, 2011 9:32 AM

66rick says: May 13, 2011 8:38 AM

————————–

How’s that Super Bowl loss treatin’ ya? Keep sucking those sour grapes.

Once again, Al was on the team.

24. henrypuppyhead says: May 13, 2011 9:34 AM

Yeah, they gave Al a ring to “pacify” him. Quit being a putz. Your team may not have a sense of community and what’s right but that’s your cross to bear Kaz.

25. bcjim says: May 13, 2011 9:55 AM

When did they cut him? Week2 or Week 14? If the former than this is a travesty, if the latter, eh, fine.

26. Deb says: May 13, 2011 10:05 AM

Generous and heartwarming gesture from the Packers–though I wish you hadn’t linked it to Barnett and Finley pestering their team over a photo prior to the championship.

@66rick …

It’s not our business how the Packers choose to distribute their rings, but those comparisons are ridiculous. Tuman played the 2008 season with our SBXLIII opponents. Come on.

27. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: May 13, 2011 10:13 AM

66rick says: May 13, 2011 8:38 AM

——————-
    Are all Steeler’s fans as dumb as you? Harris was cut in the middle of the season. Idiot.

28. thefiesty1 says: May 13, 2011 10:13 AM

Packers trying to do the right think. Good for them and for Harris.

29. Kaz says: May 13, 2011 10:21 AM

henrypuppyhead says:
    May 13, 2011 9:34 AM
    ____

No ones talking about my team, I’m talking about me personally and how I would feel if my team would offer me a ring after they cut me. I don’t care what nobody say, I won’t be running around acting like I won a superbowl when I wasn’t even on the team.

What do I say to my grandkids when they ask how I got it. Well son, I wasn’t really on the team but…. This isn’t a shot at Al, as it is a nice gesture as I said, however, don’t pitty me because you released me the same year you won a ring. How many superbowl teams have players who contributed to that team for years but retired or was cut before they got a ring? If he was apart of the team they should have invited him to take the Superbowl picture. Will he be there to meet the president later this summer too?

30. rpiotr01 says: May 13, 2011 10:24 AM

It was the right thing to do. He was on the team until around week 11, he was a mentor and a leader this year and in years past. He was cut as a football decision because while he was hurt Sam Shields emerged as a more than competent nickel back. With no starting role to play, and no role on special teams either, it simply didn’t make football sense to keep him around.

That doesn’t mean he wasn’t part of building all the team intangibles that went into creating a super bowl champion. He deserves a ring.

31. gregjennings85 says: May 13, 2011 10:31 AM

jc1958cool :

“if he could cover plaxico he’d have 2 rings”

____________________________

Last I checked, JUDAS choked drive after drive in the 4th quarter, and then was picked off on the second play from scrimmage after forcing the ball to the only covered receiver on the play.

That MAY have been the deciding factor in that loss. MAY have.

32. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: May 13, 2011 10:32 AM

Kaz says: May 13, 2011 10:21 AM

henrypuppyhead says:
    May 13, 2011 9:34 AM
    ____

————————-
    He was a part of the team until half way through the season. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

33. jazzytrav says: May 13, 2011 10:36 AM

“angryblackman4justice says: May 13, 2011 8:13 AM

classless move, guess it’s something a OWNER would do in the wrong.”

——————————————-

You do realize the Packers are owned by the city of Green Bay, right? Cause otherwise that would be an embarrassing thing to say that could damage the overall credibility of your NFL knowledge and the message you’re trying to send.

Besides, anyone that has paid attention to the Packers for the past five years knows that Al Harris is practically the architect of the aggressive play by Packers’ corners. He was tough as hell, and a Pro Bowler far more times than he was given credit for. I think this is a great move to reward someone that was much more than just a PUP player at the beginning of the season.

For all we know, he could have spent those first weeks working with Sam Shields, and we already know he spent a lot of time working with Tramon Williams. That in itself deserves a ring.

34. sakatak says: May 13, 2011 10:42 AM

angryblackman4justice says:

classless move, guess it’s something a OWNER would do in the wrong.

Why the hate? One more question, can you name the owner of the Green Bay Packers?

35. garyman1 says: May 13, 2011 10:56 AM

I’m grateful the Pack is doing this…. he deserves a ring. I remember when he left town after getting cut he took out a full page add in the local paper thanking the fans and Packer organization. One classy move follows another.

36. smoothjimmyapollo says: May 13, 2011 11:05 AM

If I were Al, I would wait until training camp breaks and then contact the Vikings. At that time last year, they were willing to pay $20 million for a Super Bowl ring, but they ended up just throwing their money away.

37. vaphinfan says: May 13, 2011 11:07 AM

Does this mean Brett Farve gets one too? I mean he helped arron rodgers and I guess it sounds like if you just had some kind of impact on this team you should get a ring even though your not on the actual team. I’ve routed for them to win the super bowl and help encourage them through posts of various websites so I should get a ring too. Not hating on the guy and he deserves one but did he earn it with this team this year?

38. suckittrebek76 says: May 13, 2011 11:09 AM

Poor grammar destroys credibility.

39. Kaz says: May 13, 2011 11:10 AM

40. smoothjimmyapollo says: May 13, 2011 11:27 AM

“Whatthehell it’s so hard to comprehend because he was cut….. If he was picked up by another team would he still get one? And if not then why?”

Um, he was picked up by the Dolphins, so yes, he still gets one.

41. mushroomcloudmofo says: May 13, 2011 11:37 AM

@kaz

I completely understand that you’re stating your opinion, and I don’t really get why people are arguing about what YOU would do in that situation – it’s ok to have differing opinions.

But, to give you the full story: Al busted his hump in the offseason to recover from a DEVASTATING knee injury (and chronicled it on YouTube, which was pretty cool). He wasn’t healthy enough for training camp, but instead of just going in for treatment every day he stayed out in positional drills and worked technique with a lot of the young corners. He started the season on the PUP, and again, instead of just going in for treatment (or going home), he stayed at the team facility and was instrumental in team meetings (according to reports) and worked with the young corners in practice. When he was no longer eligible to be on the PUP, and had burned up the ramp-up time (Week 10 or so), they released him. He signed with the Dolphins, but was quickly put on IR, and never really played a meaningful down.

It is true, he was never a part of the 53 man active roster. But to say he wasn’t a part of the team is a mischaracterization. If the Packers thought him worthy of a ring, I have no doubt he deserved it.

42. thephantomstranger says: May 13, 2011 11:53 AM

jerlee7 says:
    May 13, 2011 8:21 AM
    __________________

By that logic, they should give Favre a ring too.

43. thephantomstranger says: May 13, 2011 11:54 AM

44. smoothjimmyapollo says: May 13, 2011 12:18 PM

“The one person most responsible for the Packers’ Super Bowl season will not be getting a ring. That’s the replay official who incorrectly overturned Visanthe Shiancoe’s touchdown at Lambeau that allowed the Packers to make the playoffs.”

Hold on, let me get my tiny invisible violin … (plays sad song) … alright, that’s better.

I guess it evens out because let’s not forget the uncalled helmet to helmet shot that the Skins delivered to Rodgers in OT or the lining up too close to the long-snapper penalty against the Dolphins when the guy wasn’t too close to the long snapper or the two overturned INTs the Packers had against the Bears in Chicago. I mean, if you want to play that game, the Calvin Johnson non-TD catch against the Bears would have resulted in the Bears being tied with the Packers, losing the tie-breaker to the Packers, and losing a tie-breaker with the Giants and missing the playoffs.

You also assume that if the Shiancoe TD counted, the rest of the game would have played out exactly the same, which of course it wouldn’t because strategies would have changed with a different score and different situations. There was only an entire second half to play.

Bad calls happen to every team. The good teams get past them, the bad ones cry to the league (cough…Chilly).

45. qoojo says: May 13, 2011 12:28 PM

Al Harris was on the team for 9 weeks practicing and rehabbing while no doubt mentoring or helping the younger CBs study. He didn’t just come off the IR list or PUP he was on from nowhere, then start practicing.

46. debthebusybody says: May 13, 2011 1:17 PM

The head trainer of the Packers got a ring, but guess what? He wasn’t on the 53 man roster or didn’t play a single down.

Bottom line is that it is totally the Packers decision within THEIR organization.

So poo poo it all you want.

47. pervyharvin says: May 13, 2011 1:54 PM

48. packerbacker12 says: May 13, 2011 1:56 PM

Aaron Kampman deserves one too. I know he wasn’t part of the Packers at all last season but he contributed so much to the Packers for the 8 seasons he was with them before going to Jacksonville.

If anyone I would give rings to both Kampman and Harris. They both deserve it.

49. packerbacker12 says: May 13, 2011 1:58 PM

and to the people who are questioning this decision, the Super Bowl winning team can give a ring to whom they want. When the Colts won the Super Bowl about 5 years ago, they gave a ring to Edgerrin James despite him being with the Cardinals at the time.

50. packerbacker12 says: May 13, 2011 2:00 PM

“We all know they were not the best in the NFL!”

The Packers may have not had the best record in the NFL at the end of the regular season but when a team wins the Super Bowl, they are the best team in the league.

51. packerbacker12 says: May 13, 2011 2:01 PM

“That’s the replay official who incorrectly overturned Visanthe Shiancoe’s touchdown at Lambeau that allowed the Packers to make the playoffs.”

Favre was intercepted three times. Your lousy team was going to lose anyway.

52. Kaz says: May 13, 2011 2:35 PM

packerbacker interesting I never knew that, and your right what about Aaron…

53. stellarperformance says: May 13, 2011 3:01 PM

pervyharvin says:
    May 13, 2011 1:54 PM

_——————————————-

Who’s “we”, you and your dog?

54. gregjennings85 says: May 13, 2011 3:25 PM

pervyharvin:

“The whole damn team was gifted a ring folks. We all know they were not the best in the NFL!”

_________________________________

When you say stuff like that, Pervy, not only can we hear the tears in your words, but it makes it all that much more worth while.

Thanks, bud.

Enjoy rebuilding for the next 5 years.

55. smoothjimmyapollo says: May 13, 2011 5:56 PM

“We all know they were not the best in the NFL!”

Who was the best team then? Was it the Patriots – the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the Packers? There’s not much the Packers could do the control the results of the AFC playoff. He can’t be referring to one of the top 3 seeds in the NFC because the Packers went to each of their stadiums and defeated them. Perhaps the Seahawks were the best team? Who is this best team? Unless he’s referring to the Packers not being the best team because they had 15 players on IR and they lost two more key players in the Super Bowl, so had they been healthy, they would have been a far better team than the one that won the Super Bowl. If that’s the case Pervy is trying to make, then I agree with him.

56. axespray says: May 14, 2011 3:30 AM

thephantomstranger says:
    May 13, 2011 11:53 AM
    By that logic, they should give Favre a ring too.

^ do you have a rashard mendenhall level of stupidity?

57. goombar2 says: May 14, 2011 7:19 PM

No, I believe it’s the AP level of stupid? He’s a slave to the stupid!

I’m happy for Big Al. Always one of my favs, he turned Woodson’s career around and taught him how to look at film and not be such a sour puss. He tutored Sam Shields, Lee, and Underwood – the guys who eventually made Al expendable.

It’s cool to know Packers Inc. doesn’t forget the guys that got ‘em there.