Assessing fan anger in a lockout

Roger Goodell AP

We know there has been a lot of anger in our comments section during the lockout.   Pro-owner folks are angry with DeMaurice Smith.  Pro-player folks are mad at Roger Goodell.   (It’s odd very few folks seem to be pro-neither.)

Honestly, though, it’s not necessarily any uglier than the usual Vikings-Packers or Ravens-Steelers fan anger. And we suspect the lockout would quickly be forgotten if it suddenly ended.

For now, the lockout has been a major annoyance to football fans, but perhaps the NFL and its players were right.  Perhaps they can take their fans for granted, and assume the masses will come back and spend all their money no matter the abuse they dish out.

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports joined PFT Live for a great segment on Friday, and wondered why there hasn’t been more widespread action from fans during the lockout.

“Why aren’t fans absolutely revolting now?. . . If you’re a fan, how can you not be mad? And how can you tell me your anger is equal or more toward the players if you’re really thinking it through?” Silver said. “You’ve gotta be mad at the owners, and you absolutely should be voicing it in a way that puts pressure on them to get these people back in the workplace.”

We think there is plenty of anger to go around towards both sides, no matter how much you think it through.  But Silver’s point is well taken, and the reality is that owners and players don’t really feel any pressure from fans to do something.

Or they would be doing something about it.

For the rest of Silver’s interview, head to the PFT Live homepage or download the show at iTunes.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 132 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
132 Responses to “Assessing fan anger in a lockout”
  1. angryblackman4justice says: May 14, 2011 11:25 AM

Who’s angry ? Just want justice, let’s play BALL.

2. evpimp says: May 14, 2011 11:26 AM

Im a fan and Im pissed I think that says enough!

3. holdthemayo123 says: May 14, 2011 11:28 AM

the lack of anger is because we realize these guys arent going to leave 7 billion on the table and somehow football will be played

4. bluefan204 says: May 14, 2011 11:30 AM

What should we do, Mr Silver? Start riots in the streets and burn down the stadiums? Nothing we do or say will make a difference at this point, unless they decide to let all of us in during negotiations…..WHICH AREN’T HAPPENING!

5. gorilladunk says: May 14, 2011 11:30 AM

Here’s a note to Silver and all the other morons who are perplexed by the lack of fan anger…..It’s not football season! If this nonsense continues until late July, early August, you’ll see the fanss become more annoyed. Let it go into Sept and all hell will break loose. It’s like me being worried by an NBA lockout. Call me when the season begins and I’ll worry then. I guess we should all begin our angst about which Christmas toy will be in short supply this year.

6. tommyf15 says: May 14, 2011 11:31 AM

Every time I see a post that says “OMG teh players are GREEDY!!!!!”, I say this:

–The players were happy with what they had.

–The owners wanted more and have shut down the game to get it.

So in this case, I’m siding with the players.

7. PFTiswhatitis says: May 14, 2011 11:32 AM

Thanks again for telling us who we should be angry at and how we should feel.
    If the season ends up delayed or worse a wash-out then you can bet there will be a lot of fan anger towards both sides. Until then its still just a game.

8. jpmelon says: May 14, 2011 11:32 AM

I think any fan who reads 10+ posts a day on PFT is angry right now……but the reason most people don’t care is because it’s the offseason and it might be fixed before it actually starts affecting games. So far, nothing has really been impacted.

The average Sunday fan couldn’t care less if D. Smith is pissed. I think that people who follow PFT and other football sites throughout March – July will start to get really angry when training camp is affected. Average football fans will be pissed when the preseason is affected…..and everyone will be pissed if the Sept. 11th game is affected.

To those who should be negotiating……you’re opening a can of worms if this isn’t fixed by game 1.

9. skoobyfl says: May 14, 2011 11:33 AM

No fan likes a lockout, ever. It makes very little sense that a sports grossing almost $10 Billion a year can’t figure out how to fairly split up the money.

I personally think that during a depression like the one that we are in, it’s greed that sickens the starving masses. We don’t care who is right or who gets more, get the business started before it’s too late.

One potential Congress bill that could be proposed to end the NFL’s preferred status away might end the stalemate, who’s ready to start one?

10. cobrala says: May 14, 2011 11:34 AM

Oh I am angry, but I’m not about to waste my time voicing support for men that play or manage a GAME, making hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) in the process.

Do I hate both sides? Yes, with a heavy lean against Roger Goodell – but so what? I can’t SUPPORT either side – I HAVE BEEN supporting my team for over 20 years now.

And the question is why aren’t fans doing more???

I’m quite sure I’ve done enough, thank you.

11. scudbot says: May 14, 2011 11:35 AM

I actually do not recall any pro-Goodell posts. To reduce the lockout discussions here to the equivalent of Packers-Vikings snarkiness is just another slap at your readers. Many are pro pro football and simply don’t want the NFL turning into MLB.

12. cdjones34 says: May 14, 2011 11:36 AM

I for one have been reading this site daily for a couple years now and been posting recently once this whole fiasco started. I think it f&&*ing sucks. I miss my off-season and all the people who say waaah poor football fans how about you look at whats going on around the world and actually have some concerns. Guess what they are not fans and probably don’t have a team or cannot name a player on their team beyond their QB. f them… I am pissed and have not bought sh*t for NFL gear this year and won’t I always have bought at least a jersey and cap by now. But I think he is right and the owners knew all along that when it came down to it we would fold and just wait it out like everyone else ;-(

13. whatsafairway says: May 14, 2011 11:37 AM

Could it be that we’re all a bunch of raging fang toothed capitalist who believe the owner of a business should profit more than the employee of said business?

14. stampnhawk says: May 14, 2011 11:40 AM

Really though, what revolt is Silver looking for? Vigil’s outside stadiums? Hunger strikes? Hanging out in front of Bob Kraft’s house to heckle him on the way to work? Over turning cars and looting?

Silver obviously trying to get in the good books with the players side for when the season starts again so they will still talk to him, because he really can’t truly believe the players are the meek innocent victims getting completely taken advantage of here, as he states.

Its pretty easy to side with the owners in my opinion…they provide the ways and means and structure for football to be played in those particular cities, so there is some loyalty, and understanding of “that’s the way business is” with the owners. The players are always going to be interchangeable with their loyalties and come and go from cities.

Add to that, with the multi-millionaire players trying to chum up and compare themselves to the common worker as some sort of victim that we should all take pity on for having a boss that isn’t going to give them a bigger chunk of a pie so huge that 97% of the country can’t realate to, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Plus, outside of the draft, there is no focal point to organize any hostility around in the offseason…my guess is that if the players had some similar national televised even where fans would attend, the booing at the draft would look and sound like a love-in by comparison.

15. chatham10 says: May 14, 2011 11:40 AM

Silver is right about being mad at the owners for the lock out, but why not the so called union for walking away from the table?

16. sdiegosteel says: May 14, 2011 11:44 AM

Why aren’t we doing more? Because we have real lives to deal with, mortgages to pay, classes to pass, kids to raise. Just because I haven’t carved out the time to put together a demonstration of my complete anger towards these d-bags doesn’t mean that I’m not completely infuriated by them. But I will get over you, NFL, like I got over baseball (haven’t watched a whole baseball game in over a decade) or the NBA (only watch college basketball anymore). The draft already got a lower rating than 2010. You can bet that team gear sales are going to go down significantly – – you can take your draft hat and stick it where the sun don’t shine. And if they don’t resolve this until September, there goes my fantasy football and DirecTV dollar as well – – I’m not paying money for the sham that those games will be. Hope you get an infection from the nose you cut off, NFL.

17. canuck54143 says: May 14, 2011 11:44 AM

How about this Mikey…. Us fans will have a fan strike in the parking lot at Lambeau Field, and fans from evey team are more than welcome to come and show support to end the lockout. It doesn’t matter if your pro player of pro owner.

18. bleedsoe9mm says: May 14, 2011 11:44 AM

once the season get effected , thats Free agency , traing camp , and god forbid the regular season , i’ll be pissed ! until then its just annoying

19. spelbc says: May 14, 2011 11:47 AM

“Why aren’t fans absolutely revolting now?. . .

Well Michael, fans are not revolting because most of us have more important things to worry about in our lives, like our families and jobs. We don’t have time to revolt for/against millionaires and billionaires who can’t settle how to split up billions of dollars. Sure, we would all love to see the NFL this year, but ultimately there are more important things in life than sports. So people will save their “revolting” to things that seriously affect their lives and families lives.

20. geo1113 says: May 14, 2011 11:48 AM

When all is said and done, what happens with the NFL have virtually no effect on my life. So to get angry over this to me is irrational. That doesn’t mean I am not willing to vigorously defend my point of view (which is pro-owner). It just means my life is full enough to live without the NFL. When I am paid to be angry about this then I will be angry.

21. mtpack says: May 14, 2011 11:51 AM

Need a centralized voice. Step to the plate PFT.

22. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 14, 2011 11:51 AM

“Why aren’t fans absolutely revolting now?. . . If you’re a fan, how can you not be mad? And how can you tell me your anger is equal or more toward the players if you’re really thinking it through?” Silver said. ”You’ve gotta be mad at the owners, and you absolutely should be voicing it in a way that puts pressure on them to get these people back in the workplace.”

*****************************************
    More Propaganda, LMAO!

More fans aren’t revolting now because it hasn’t really sunk in yet. Nothing is being missed right now, except maybe some OTA’s. Now when training camps do not open, and there are no preseason games then you will see a rise in public uproar.

But back to that assinine statement above::
    First of all I do think my positions through, so I don’t need an internet hack to tell me how I should think.
    I have been a proud union member for 26 years, and I have been a business owner for the last 12 so I think i am versed enough to know whats important to both sides. I have seen this situation a few times before.

The tactics used by the union are the first thing that swayed me to the owners side. They left the bargaining table and decertified, then ran straight to the courthouse for protection. How can you tell me that this procedure is not a sham?

The second thing that pushed me over my neutral position and to the owners is the fact that this has played out exactly like I predicted it would when the players chose an outsider who is also an attorney to be their leader. Never, NEVER hire an outsider, and NEVER hire an attorney to lead your union. Only a lifelong union man knows whats best for his peers, knows the company better, and will protect his coworkers interests. An attorney only wants to gain national exposure, to boost his career and take the most contested, costliest route to pad his billfold.

The 3rd thing that convinced me to throw my weight behind the owners is the audacity of the players to contend they are “partners” in industry in which they put in ZERO financially. These players have a VERY generous pay system, VERY generous health and benefits, and many opportunities for outside income in which many cases can be more lucrative than their salaries. They seem to think they are ENTITLED to %60 of the revenue the league generates and I am just stunned that the league ever agreed to anything over %40. I can’t tell you how fast any other union would be shown the door if asked for %50-%60 of revenue.

Lastly, the whole package of attitude, behavior, strategy, and actions of the players is sad.
    They can’t stop getting arrested, they act like fools in public, dress like hoodlums, make idiotic statements that embaress themselves AND others, are spoiled, and refuse to accept ownership of their actions, and feel entitled to everything and above the law.

23. santolonius says: May 14, 2011 11:52 AM

it’s difficult to be objective and not get ticked off at both sides in this, or favor one side or the other only by degrees. i lean toward the players but have very, very little respect for demaurice smith. if there was a scale with a 100 for absolute players and a zero for absolute owners, i’d be about a 65. you could let that be a numeric representation of what i would consider the reasonable point of compromise between the two positions. as for anger, if 1 is not angry almost jolly and 10 is extremely, hair-pulling angry i am at a 7. as i say i am trying to be objective.

24. thegreenviking says: May 14, 2011 11:53 AM

Casual fans aren’t as effected by lockout news because they don’t follow football that closely this time of year. Only us diehards read these stories now and while we may be angry, we’re the last group that will leave the NFL.

25. stixzidinia says: May 14, 2011 11:54 AM

We should keep a log of which posters are voicing such vehement hostility to the players, and then point out their hypocrisy in relentless fashion when they go back to rooting for these same players in a few months. Maybe then they’ll realize the only reason the NFL even exists is because of these extremely talented players…..which is literally the only reason people tune it or buy tickets.

26. thepebs says: May 14, 2011 11:54 AM

Maybe, just maybe the owners need some competition. The idea of new franchises popping up where the major owners are heavily committed to stadiums could draw the NFL players. The fans watch and follow the players, not the owners.

27. duanethomas says: May 14, 2011 11:55 AM

Because the owners and players know fans are stupid and naive. They will not do anything but talk and complain on sites like this. They will be back so they don’t matter. If they knew the power they had to affect a change the lockout would not have happened.

28. nflfan101 says: May 14, 2011 11:57 AM

———————–

If you paid any attention at all to what has happened, you have to be mad as hell at D. Smith. FACT: He walked out of CBA negotiations, decertified the union, had certain players file suit, and then did not attend at least one of the court ordered mediation sessions.

The owners keep begging for negotiations.

Apparently, Michael Silver thinks that the NFL should give D. Smith anything and everything that he wants. Why?

If fans, players, and PFT really want football, then tell D. Smith to get his butt into negotiations.

29. agamemnon1974 says: May 14, 2011 11:57 AM

I think the reason we aren’t all that mad yet is that we haven’t missed any games. If this spreads through July and August and into September, then yes, I for one will be pissed!

I know that there have been a number of issues that had not yet been addressed, that I had expected from the next CBA. Whatever they do with the money I really don’t care that much about. Owners are risking their own money in the business. Players are risking their bodies and should be well compensated given that they may lose the ability to walk in the years after playing. Yet, it’s all way more money than I’ll ever see.

The issues I see as a fan have to do with things like the ballooning rookie salaries at the top of the draft. The Jamarcus Russels of the world are putting some teams so far behind that it takes years to recover. I do not want to see that happen to my team and I am upset that there has been resistance to it from the player’s side. Drug testing is another issue that bugs me a lot and the players have been on the wrong side.

The point is, that as a fan, I am willing to lose some of the off-season to get these issues resolved that have me leaning slightly towards the owners. Once this drags through the summer into the fall, then I’ll start to get pissed.

30. theredbengal says: May 14, 2011 11:58 AM

“But Silver’s point is well taken, and the reality is that owners and players don’t really feel any pressure from fans to do something.

Or they would be doing something about it.”

The better point is: what can the fans do when it’s left up to the courts?

What should we do?

What should I do?

31. bigperm33 says: May 14, 2011 11:59 AM

I am angry and getting angrier by the day. I am angry for all the obvious reasons – the especially now when so many people are struggling, these super rich owners and the league that makes money hand over fist, are shutting things down simply in an admitted effort to make MORE money. I can’t stand it.

But what really drives me crazy is the prominent people who cover the league not being angry, and just passing things along like they are news. Where is the anger on their part? Journalists need to be unbiased, but it doesn’t mean they have to not be angry. It doesn’t mean they just have to sit this out and let things unfold. What the NFL and the owners are doing is shockingly arrogant and shockingly greedy. The NFL spends all season pounding its chest at just how great it is – now they are crying poor. You’ve got to be kidding me.

I understand that many who cover the league do so because they love football and all they want to do is talk and write about football. But how much good would it do if the Peter Kings of the world and the Adam Schefters (two people who I really like to follow for their football knowledge) and many, many others who cover the league, got angry. Got angry at the league. Stopped covering the nonsense PR moves, stopped talking about football as if nothing wrong is going on, and put the pressure on these owners and the league (and the players who are not blameless, just not deserving of as much blame as the lockout it league/owner driven) to stop this greedy lockout and get a deal done. It is just sickening to me that they are fighting over how to split up $9 Billion. NINE BILLION.

Every day I am doing all I can to cut back my expenses, to save money any way I can due to what is going on in the economy – and the NFL wants to fight over $9 Billion and then they expect us fans to all come back whenever this gets done as if nothing is wrong, and they want us to sit quietly on the sidelines now as if what they are doing now with this lockout isn’t despicable. I don’t know what I can do, but I know I am getting real angry and when football comes back, I just don’t know if it will ever be the same for me.

10% of this country is unemployed right now. many many people are swimming in debt. The NFL and the owners are unhappy with the millions and billions of dollars they are making. Which one of those is out of place?

32. ar1888 says: May 14, 2011 11:59 AM

I have had Colts season tickets since 2001, and if any games are missed I will not renew next season. Thats how pissed I am.

33. patsforever says: May 14, 2011 12:00 PM

Yahoo! Sports is a joke and Michael Silver is an idiot. I don’t need some hack to tell me who I should be mad at. Sure, the owners could end this the fastest, but that doesn’t mean it would be right. The players are being stubborn, foolish, and just plain ignorant. There need to be concessions made from both sides and only the owners seem to be willing to make that happen. DeMaurice Smith needs some basic schooling in negotiation and the back and forth that should have taken place.

34. glen1904 says: May 14, 2011 12:03 PM

I don’t think they realize that fans are as ticked as they are, 9 billion and there is a problem? puck you, these NHL playoffs and the knowledge I will have hockey and collage football is enough for me. The NFL and its greedy BS is not a necessity to me I can take this year off and be just fine. Lock out all year greedy Dumas’s. Looks like 2011 will be the best fall of fishing and hunting in years!

35. packattack1967 says: May 14, 2011 12:04 PM

I dont know that it’ll ever happen with football, but I used to be an avid, box score reading fantasy owning baseball fan. Since all the crap in the 90s, free agency, roids, etc. I have little or no interest. Lost it totally. When they announced the National league MVP last year, I never even heard of the guy, never knew his name or what position he played. Year by year i have grown less and less interested. Take heed NFL and players. Also consider the economy which, Mr. DeSmith or whatever, is not likely to see what we saw in the 80s and 90s in our lifetime. Be Smart.

36. mhs8031 says: May 14, 2011 12:05 PM

What would the players do if they got the deals they wanted and the teams went bankrupt? Would they renegotiate their contracts to give money back to keep the league alive?

I realize that they are not there, but supporting the owners is supporting the financial health of the league, not the players that come and go.

37. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 14, 2011 12:05 PM

Let me ask you Mike Silver.

How can YOU tell me your anger is equal or more toward the owners if you’re really thinking it through?”

The owners like Halas, Hunt, Rooney started and built up this league with a vision and risked lots of money. The players are making more money playing football than they could ever make doing anything else. THANKS TO THE OWNERS.

Without the owners the players would have to find jobs in the factory, farms, or city works departments. Without the players the owners would still be rich, and tend to their other businesses.

It boils down to this.

The owners OWN the company. The players are EMPLOYEES and work FOR the company. They are NOT “partners” they do not own any part of the company.

If the players want to be “partners” then take on half of all team expenses, half of all debts, half of all liabilities, and half of all other costs of running a business.

If the EMPLOYEES do not like the conditions they work in, the pay and benefits they receive, the work rules, or terms and conditions of employment, then……………..wait for it………………. GO FIND ANOTHER JOB!

38. Deb says: May 14, 2011 12:06 PM

Football is a year-round sport. Every step in the off season–free agency, the draft, spring training, preseason–builds anticipation of what’s to come for our teams. The lockout has killed the foreplay. Forget anger. What the league should worry about is apathy. By the time they’re ready for business, maybe we’ll be out of the mood and moving on to other things.

39. euroamericans says: May 14, 2011 12:07 PM

Silver is a schmuck

40. torqueolo says: May 14, 2011 12:07 PM

Maybe the fans are smarter than Mr. Silver thinks, and are looking at the long term health of the game rather than just ‘me want football now!’

41. capslockkey says: May 14, 2011 12:08 PM

I don’t think you can call anyone “pro” anything. We are pissed at both sides. It’s just a matter of who we are pissed at more. I’d say “anti” is the more appropriate prefix on any labels you want to give to the fans. The ones that are “pro-neither” most likely don’t care enough to post comments. I was one who just ignored most of this stuff because I pretty much forgot about the NFL for a while, but the draft sucked me back in. In the end, if they get a long term agreement done before the season, most of us will be able to forgive and forget a lot of this bickering once football starts.

42. endzonezombie says: May 14, 2011 12:09 PM

Why does the media think that the fan anger should become a ‘protest’ that prompts anything more than a few comments on the internet? This isn’t a life or death situation for fans – football is a spectator sport, and one of many diversions for those with discretionary time to spend. The NFL’s worst fear should be apathy, not anger toward the league. When fans just lose interest and turn away toward other forms of entertainment, then it will require a huge investmant to win them back.

43. handsatlanta says: May 14, 2011 12:11 PM

It’s odd very few folks seem to be pro-neither

Count me as one of those pro-neither people. Every time I hear Roger Goodell or DeMaurice Smith or an owner or a player open their mouths and badmouth the other side, it occurs to me that they’ve completely lost sight of the fact that they’re partners and should be working together.

Either that or they’re all a bunch of colossal boneheads.

Put me in charge of the arbitration and here’s my solution:

The owners want a billion and a half off the top for expenses. Fine, you got it. Don’t spend it all in one place.

The players are concerned about long term health care and pensions for retirees. No problem — here’s a billion and a half off the top for that.

The owners want a rookie salary cap. No problem, it’s all yours. Now go figure out how to implement it. Don’t ask for a contract that saves you from yourselves — you’re supposed to be the brains of the operation.

The players don’t want to give up anything from the percentage of revenue for their salaries. Tell you what — I’m feeling generous. Here’s 55%. Don’t ask again. Ever.

One more thing, NFL types…I think I’m renewing my season tickets even tho my team hasn’t done squat in 27 years. Do you guys really want to risk having me find out there’s other stuff to do on Sundays?

44. kyle90 says: May 14, 2011 12:11 PM

Stop crying about us not being pro-player. It’s just killing you isn’t it.

45. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 14, 2011 12:12 PM

The league will survive without any player that currently is on a roster and quits. There are plenty of replaceable bodies that will be hungry for the chance every year in the draft.

But the players will not survive without the owners. No other league pays near as much nor does garbage workers, backhoe operators, or factory workers.

Players are replaceable, and are replaced each year.

These players should be thanking the owners for the PRIVELEDGE, HONOR, and OPPORTUNITY to be playing.

46. 52crabcakes says: May 14, 2011 12:13 PM

I express my anger by not watching NFL channel or going to NFL.com, or going to my team’s site. I am not buying ANY NFL products. They are not getting one more cent of mine and if/when they start playing again, I will definitely cut back in my spending. If everyone would do what I am doing for just say an organized week, they would have to hear us. FIX IT!

47. jockoe says: May 14, 2011 12:13 PM

I am plenty angry that this lockout situation has gone on for 2 months now, with no end in sight. I’ve given up going to nfl.com, I no longer watch the NFL Network, and I have not bought any NFL gear during the lockout. Is there another/more ways to let them know that they’re are really close to losing this fan?

48. capslockkey says: May 14, 2011 12:13 PM

I’d also add that I take more out on the players here because of the idiotic comments they continue to spew about it all. I’ve already had my voice heard by the owners and Goodell as they actually reached out to us ticket holders and gave us an outlet to vent our frustrations to them directly. Maybe if D Smith and crew actually reached out to the people who really pay their salaris such as sending letters, emails, an online fan forum, a fan conference call, etc to allow me to vent to them like the league has I may change my tune about them actually giving a crap about us fans.

49. berto55 says: May 14, 2011 12:15 PM

Not real complicated, most of us still have to go to work and if you haven’t noticed, the economy ain’t great. Bigger fish to fry than all these a-holes. Plus we have been down this road before, they will figure out a way somehow someway to split up 9 Billion.

50. dreadpiratesteve says: May 14, 2011 12:21 PM

Yes I am angry. All of you, yes, ALL of you are greedy bastards who are depriving me of a game I not only love but used to play. You are doing irreparable damage to the game I love. I hope this comes back to bite you all horribly.

51. rolandsloan says: May 14, 2011 12:21 PM

Fans are not “revolting”, because they believe
    the owners and players don’t really care about us.
    It would be “spitting into the wind” and “tugging on Superman’s cape”. No influence.
    Why get all worked up? Whatever happens, happens…..Right?

52. kyle90 says: May 14, 2011 12:23 PM

Deb said foreplay.

53. blmonroe12 says: May 14, 2011 12:24 PM

I invite these gentleman to apply for the same jobs we do and enjoy the benefits of a 40-60hr work week with 2-4 weeks of vacation making 25-75k a year while driving a Honda or a Nissan.

Something tells me they may appreciate their current situation a little more once they walk a mile in their fans shoes.

54. christhefish says: May 14, 2011 12:25 PM

Gregg, what we need is a forum to express our outrage at the owners AND the players. Some people are struggling to pay the mortgage and these knuckleheads are arguing over who gets the biggest Mercedes. If there is no football this season I am gone forever. Screw them all.

55. waka1waka says: May 14, 2011 12:25 PM

Who has time to be angry abot football?
    Rosenthal-you are out of touch with the real world buddy. Folks enjoy and love their football, but people are dealing with $5 a gallon gas and a recession. You are really clueless with your media goggles-you idiot

56. melikefootball says: May 14, 2011 12:25 PM

My problem with all the take on fans is that the players keep acting if they are enjoying the time off–getting paid a good junk, then want to say they care about the fans. The fans are the ones taking a hit here bla.bla, bla. The players care about one thing and NO it is not win championships but to make more money and not give up anything to do this. The more the players let there lips twich the more I’m seeing I’m paying to watch on Direct TV not only my favorite team but good games for what. To help pay these exceptional paychecks. I know many aren’t on the owners side but I look at it, as it is there company just any of us work for companies. They take the chance on proffit or lose as well as on employees, if they can help them or not. To many of the players get huge contracts without playing one down and many walk away with the money. If the players want to say they care than get back and make some consessions, sign a new contract and then they can pat themselves on the back and say they did it for the fans.

57. toiletking says: May 14, 2011 12:25 PM

It really is a little bit strange how everyone here is so pro owner. I would understand if the players were shutting things down so they could get a pay raise, but it’s the opposite, isn’t it? Which one of you wouldn’t raise a stink if your boss tried to give you a significant pay cut without demonstrating that there was any other reason than greed? Or would you just roll over like a bunch of good little dogs?

Now I’d like everyone here who has a big man-crush on Jerry Jones to press thumbs down.

58. mackie66 says: May 14, 2011 12:26 PM

And why should we, the fans, be mad at the owners? Im sure some fans support the players and hate the owners, I am sorta in the middle. I believe the owners, being owners of the team, have a right to run their business as they see fit. I dont for one minute believe they are attempting to cheat the players, not when they will pay an unknown player(QB) 50 million just to see if he will be “the man”. The players get paid a ton of money. Even a player who only gets 500k a yr will, over the contract, make several million and thats a bit more then I make being a disabled police officer. I have no pitty for the players but I do want them to be able to feed their familys.. Some players dont think they can feed familys on 2-3 million a yr.
    If the lockout is not upheld I believe down to the bottom of my feet, the owners will close down the NFL and simply wait. We fans must find some “filler” time. I plan doing a lot more fishing and scuba diving. :-) have a nice day,,,ya’ll

59. blitzburghbrian says: May 14, 2011 12:30 PM

Oh look at all the people in the comments here that totally missed the point.

People aren’t angrier about the lockout because it hasn’t done anything to us yet. Are we missing football in the middle of May? The worst we’ve had to deal with is losing coverage of mini-camps on NFL Network. The lockout hasn’t taken anything away from us yet.

Ask again if they end up cancelling games.

60. moth25 says: May 14, 2011 12:31 PM

Are things bad enough right now to expect fans to revolt? What, as fans, have we missed? Free agency, but that’s not anything that fans really watch. I suspect fans will get irate when actual (not exhibition) games are missed, and even more so when there is no fantasy football.

On a larger level, does it really surprise you that fans aren’t angry or doing anything about it? We have so many entertainment options these days. Sure, football is one of my favorite ones, and it will suck if they don’t play, but my life will go on and I will find something to fill the void. When football starts again the vast majority of fans will come back, even those who say they won’t.

61. deadeye says: May 14, 2011 12:35 PM

I’m not revolting because I have a life with more important things in it than watching football. While it’s true that the NFL is my favorite sport, it is only entertainment. I feel the same about this lockout as I did during the writer strike in Hollywood a few years ago, it’s an extremely minor inconvenience and nothing more.

Furthermore, arguing that most or all anger should be directed toward the owners tells me that Silver hasn’t thought it through. He’s just a liberal pro-union a-hole.

62. descendency says: May 14, 2011 12:40 PM

I’m Pro-Football.

And not pro like getting paid, but like the opposite of con.

63. shukey11 says: May 14, 2011 12:41 PM

How can you not be mad at both sides. Players make too much and then the hold out. Owners realise we will come no matter what so they raise ticket prices. But i would rather see the owners win. Why? Because De Smith is an ass and most of the players are grown children that dont realise that they should feel blessed to be in the positions that they are. And im not saying i would play for minimum wage cuz thats just stupid. But add in a rookie wage scale and add in 2 more games well guess what you wont be making any less than you were. as for the owners if they dont lower ticket prices after a victory well shame on them for being greedy pricks. Both sides need to concede a bit for the betterment of what really drives the game. The Fans.

64. possiblecabbage says: May 14, 2011 12:43 PM

What exactly would an “angry fan revolt” constitute? It’s not like there’s anything on the NFL calendar I could boycott. I could avoid buying NFL licensed merchandise or supporting official NFL sponsors, but I mostly do that anyway and I doubt that anybody would notice. I could write angry posts on a blog, but that’s unlikely to change anything.

So if Mr. Silver wonders why the fans are not revolting, perhaps he could suggest an avenue of revolution for the fans.

65. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 14, 2011 12:44 PM

Deb got me “excited” for football.

66. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 14, 2011 12:44 PM

Hell, she just got me “excited”

67. grandsonofcoach says: May 14, 2011 12:48 PM

I’ve made several posts that side with the owners right now. But believe me I place equal blame at the feet of both sides for making excuses and not negotiating. They are taking their fans for granted. But, right now I truly fear the players litigation approach and it’s potential long term harm to the competitive balance that has made this league great. I think Silver’s view is short sighted and looks to satisfy football fans now with the resumption of the league year now. Yes it would satisfy the rabid fans need for off season football news…but would give the players leverage and potentially put at risk the draft, free agency and the ability of small market teams like Green Bay to compete. I DO NOT want the equivalent of the Yankees in the NFL.

68. footballfanatic2010 says: May 14, 2011 12:50 PM

Thank you Mike Silver for telling me how I should think and feel….God only knows where I’d be without you.

I need to hate the owners? Why? You say that it’s so simple, and if we thought it through, we’d understand. I don’t think you’ve thought it through. I think you’re a pro-player patsy without any common sense.

Anyone who disagrees with the owners needs to read the posts on this page made by iamtalkingsolistenandlearn. He already said everything that needs to be said, and if you read his posts, you’ll see an informed argument backed by facts. The only thing you’ll get from Silver is emotion and brashness.

One last thing(and several others have asked already)…what the hell do you want the fans to do Silver? You get paid to sit on your ass and write stories all day, but we actually have to work. We have children, school, animals, etc. to attend to. What are supposed to do, put football over our families on our priority list? Are you insane? Go to Hell Silver, and never tell fans how to think ever again.

69. jeff061 says: May 14, 2011 12:50 PM

Angry? I’m a spectator – it’s not my problem. Id be dissapointed if their wasn’t games in September…but this is May, I couldn’t care less what the players want

End of the day the owners own..they will figure out what’s fair.

70. dryheaveone says: May 14, 2011 12:50 PM

Silver must be an idiot. Does he really think if fans, “take to the streets” the players and owners will all of a sudden say, “OMG! we really better settle this! the fans are mad!”…….give me a break. Bottomline, they know the fans will come back. They came back to baseball and Hockey after their long “work stoppages” you know damn well they will come back to the NFL…..we as fans are helpless in this situation……not to mention the fact that as much as we love football we know it’s not life and death. People have their day to day lives to deal with. I don’t have the time or ambition to make a sign and protest what’s going on with the NFL (plus I would look like an idiot if I did)

71. chargersz says: May 14, 2011 12:51 PM

Why is this site so pro player? This site has no idea how to write articles in an unbiased manner. This is one of several articles in the last couple of days that is totally tainted against the owners. And for the record I am not part of the league, I am a Chargers season ticket holder that just wants what is good for the long term health of the league.

72. edhochuli says: May 14, 2011 12:55 PM

“Why aren’t fans absolutely revolting now?”

They are revolting. Libyans love their NFL and are pissed there is no off-season yet.

All seriousness, I cannot stand D. Smith and think he is brainwashing his players and agitating the situation. He was never involved in the NFL before like the last president Gene Upshaw. He’s in there using metaphors comparing negotiations to war and calling the players heroes. He doesn’t understand because he never played the game. Gene Upshaw would’ve helped negotiate a deal long before it got out of hand. The next NFLPA head is now going to try to emulate this tough guy persona put on by Smith. Thank you D. Smith, you’ve ruined the game that we all love(d).

For the record, I’m not pro-owner or pro-player. I’m pro-get-a-deal-done, but just recognize Smith as a cancer.

73. evrybdyhas1 says: May 14, 2011 12:55 PM

Wow it is the fans fault for this impasse!
    Pure Crap!
    I think the fans are making points in other pro sports that are in trouble. I gave up on baseball, only follow college basketball, did not renew my NFL season tickets and will very soon be turning off my NFL radio subscription and reading CFT not PFT.

74. thenepatsguy says: May 14, 2011 12:56 PM

Hell Yeah i am mad, i am boycotting nfl.com i rather support profootballtalk than read nfl.coms BS about the lockout. I am mad @ the owners. I took off my patriots license plate cover and i am not wearing my jersey till they fix this mess. I would love to buy some merchandise, but heck i would rather buy it when they start playing some ball. anyone know a good website to buy stuff? I DONT feel like buying anything from NFL.com this year!

75. brassknuckles47 says: May 14, 2011 12:58 PM

The only way that we fans get a voice in this stoppage is to organize simultaneous protests at NFL stadiums. It has to be organized, initially, at the local levels, coordinating with national organization. The protests must not be against either side, but against them crying about how little money they make, settle up, and get to playing football. It would make big news and make our seat at the table a little bit bigger. 32 cities in protest on 2…3…or 4 consecutive Sundays is ESPN, CNN FAX news-worthy. Just a thought…..

76. canuck54143 says: May 14, 2011 12:59 PM

More Propaganda, LMAO!

But back to that assinine statement above::

Well Said…

77. detroitrockcity88 says: May 14, 2011 12:59 PM

The truth is even after the Draft, nothing is actually happening. The fans are angry because all we read about is supposed professional owners and players behaving in the media like ungratefull children. While other people deal with major problems. Economy, natural disasters and the such. Right now its footballs summer break. So no one cares.

That being said wait for the first game and if they are serious if they shut down the season. Fans will leave in droves. Check out the NHL lockout of 2004-05. Whoever heard of Texas hold’em poker as a “sport”. And converted millions of people to fill time and great new addictions to on-line poker. Afterwards it took a lot of time and great deal of work to win back the fans. And in some ways it hasn’t fully recovered.

Owners and players are fighting over billions. But they are our billions, we pay those over priced tickets. cheaply made gear and expensive cable services. Why because we love the sport. But if the powers that be crush that. The sport may come back and the diehards will stick with it. But they make money off of the casual fans mostly. And if it loses its popularity or people start watching CRICKET and some teams may not survive.

It’d be nice if the Commish operated in the best interest of the SPORT and not the best interest of guys like Jerry Jones and Al Davis. When they satart to think that they are bigger than the sport and we lose the sport.

Maybe we should have a fan strike?

Imagine if collectively starting in Sepember we did something else besides football. Empty stadiums, no one watching NFL Sunday. No one buying Madden video games or being nfl logo’d gear. I wonder how the NFL and NFLPA will react to that? Maybe us fans need our own Union to protect our rights as consumers?

78. tommyf15 says: May 14, 2011 1:01 PM

So what can the fans do?

If I owned an NFL team I would have locked the players out, KNOWING THAT THE FANS SUPPORT THE OWNER NO MATTER WHAT.

If the fans were even remotely fair the owners would have something to worry about.

79. bronco1st says: May 14, 2011 1:02 PM

I’ve put up some pretty angry posts but PFT keeps removing them – even when the language is clean. This one will probably be gone too. Haven’t seen much pressure from the media either, and they have the money AND the platform to be heard!

80. oneeyedhito says: May 14, 2011 1:02 PM

As an example of the MISAPPROPRIATION of brain cells re: the sides in this debate I offer up as evidence:
    “@Cwhatsafairway says: May 14, 2011 11:37 AM

No, it must be because everyone on here who voices support for the owners position is really a disguised NFL employee!”

full disclosure:
    I am a capitalist and my finances come from making money for the owner of a business while I get rewarded with a fair days pay.

To your point though, the issue here is that the league won’t show how much the owners actual PROFIT is……. and for that matter if you take the sum earnings of any company of more than a dozen employees (in MOST CASES) you will have a more heavily weighted pay scale towards the employees as a TOTAL……but that is simple math which is too much for most on here I can tell!

Take the Cincinnati Bengals for instance which employs a dozen or more family members of the Brown family/extended family, while the teams net profitability is shown a year later there is no breakdown of what the salaries/expenses of said family members are……It is fair to be able to have full disclosure when NEGOTIATING a CONTRACT based on the statement that “we are LOSING MONEY” and can’t sustain it….. I should call my creditors and tell them “I am losing money and can’t sustain these bills” then they could just SHUT ME DOWN!!! Get it…..of course you don’t!

81. profootballwalk says: May 14, 2011 1:04 PM

Personally, I’m just going to tittie bars and feeding the dancers dollars at the stage until this thing gets resolved.

82. andyb2434 says: May 14, 2011 1:04 PM

iamtalking when was the last time you worked where there is nothing made, no steel being pressed. there is no product being made. shirts would not be sold if not for the players, no tickets, no lunch boxes and so on. the owners competing over the best places to play. fans didn’t tell Mr. Jones to build Jerryland. so please don’t assume you know better then the NFLPA*. they’re the ones that are sitting at the table with the NFL. we should all be made as all hell at both sides for trying harder to get support than a deal. baseball can’t wait to get some of their viewers back that they lost years ago when they had that labor dispute.

83. dkeyser says: May 14, 2011 1:06 PM

I’m suprised that it wasnt Silver laying in bed with Chester Pitts prank calling the Commish

84. edhochuli says: May 14, 2011 1:06 PM

@mackie66,

agree 100%. The owners are the guys who busted their asses throughout their lives getting educated on business and eventually becoming successful enough to buy a team. Saying a kid out of college and an NFL owner should be “business partners” is utterly ridiculous.

Put this into perspective, an NFL owner stays with the team an average of what? like 20 years or more? Players have an average of about 4 years with the team. These are just assumptions so don’t ask where I got those figures, but I’d estimate it’s pretty close. Point is, the players come and go like people through a revolving door while the owner stays in place and RUNS the entire organization for a couple decades. Now, please explain to me why these players should be “business partners” DeMoron…

85. tom35mt says: May 14, 2011 1:07 PM

The thing is that pro-neither people actually have a life and dont waste their time commenting boring articles.

Pro neither people like me just want football, we dont care about the politics involved.

86. nimbushex says: May 14, 2011 1:08 PM

Nobody cares because there wouldn’t be anything going on with football right now anyway. I think most people assume they’ll have their spat until around July, it will get resolved and life will go on as if nothing happened in the first place. You’re writing articles like this because you have nothing else to write about, and maybe fan anger would give you something to write about.

87. warhorse007 says: May 14, 2011 1:10 PM

@oneyehito

If you really think its NFL employees posting here, you have alot to learn.

Youre just a player disguising himself as a fan.

La Hoo Sa Her.

88. commoncents says: May 14, 2011 1:16 PM

I am tired of PFT telling me who I should be mad at. Yea, use Silvers quote if you want to pretend they aren’t the words of PFT but it’s clear and obvious that this site shouldn’t be looked at as anything but biased.

89. paulitik74 says: May 14, 2011 1:22 PM

As of this moment the only thing that has really been affected is Free-Agency and OTAs. If this ridiculous endeavor by the owners continues into the season, you will see a lot more than just anger.

90. jimphin says: May 14, 2011 1:24 PM

Mad at the Lockout? Why would I be mad at that? The lockout in it’s simplistic form just says that no one works until we get a long term work aggreement.

I would hope that getting a long term CBA is the goal of every fan, player, owner, player rep, & industry media provider.

Ending the lockout does absolutely nothing to get a long term CBA. All it would do is give the players some temporary leverage throughout the appeal process.

Fans should be mad that the two sides are not sitting down and each side formulating a good faith proposal in which they ultimately meet somewhere in the middle for a long term agreement. You can’t negotiate against yourself. If one side refuses to modify an offer then the result is this current stalemate.

(…Stalemate is a situation in chess where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal moves. A stalemate ends the game in a draw.)

We are stuck in legal purgatory until the process gets kicked out to a higher motivation that has nothing to do with saving face.

91. wtfru2 says: May 14, 2011 1:31 PM

Why am I not angry? Because I’m too busy working and supporting my family to worry about the millionaires vs the billionaires. They don’t settle, I’ll be the winner because I won’t be spending all that money on football crap. Sure I enjoy it but if they force me to save money, I’ll take it. Whats to be angry about?

92. bbb82 says: May 14, 2011 1:32 PM

Even if there is a new CBA tomorrow, I will not be spending any money on tickets or merchandise this year.

93. footballrulz says: May 14, 2011 1:35 PM

Well so far I have cancelleed my Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket & I have yet to purchase any NFL memorabilia, including any SB items (and I’m a Packer fan). Don’t know what else I can do at this point other than writing useless letters.

Hopefully if they work this out in a timely fashion I’ll still be able to purchase some SB items (not buying the SB CD was really tough). If not, then I will find something else to occupy my time and the NFL will see what greed can cost them over the long term.

Owners & players are biting the hand that feeds them. Silver might be working on a personal agenda maybe feeling that his article will generate some huge fan outcry which may not be a bad idea. Somehow though I doubt it would have much impact on the situation currently.

94. titsburgfeelers says: May 14, 2011 1:39 PM

Its because we are Americans we already let our goverment piss on us you think were gna do something at the nfl. We are the most gullable people in the world. So goahead nfl give it to nice and hard we will keep our medicated rose colored goggles on.

95. robf2010 says: May 14, 2011 1:39 PM

What can fans do that doesn’t hurt themselves more than the owners? Don’t renew their season tickets? Delay payments? That might pressure the owner in Tampa or Jacksonville but New York, New Orleans, Denver, New England, etc will just give their tickets to the nest person in line. Fans have loud voices but they have ZERO leverage. The owners are fairly secure in the knowledge the fans won’t do much damage.

The only things they can do right now is stop buying merchandise and cancel the NFL network or, at least, stop watching it. Doubt there’s enough there for owners to alter their course, though.

96. vetdana says: May 14, 2011 1:42 PM

I have been following this labor issue daily for 2 1/2 months, on this, and other sites.As this goes longer and longer, I can see a definite INCREASE in fan anger. When this drags on into the pre and regular season[ as I expect it will] we are going to see a large fan backlash.You can slap someone in the face for only so long before you are going to get their attention and the last thing they are going to want to do is, reach into their back pocket,open their wallet and throw you some cash ! I and many persons I know, stopped watching and supporting MLB & NHL after they pulled this ,and the same thing could happen to the NFL. Even at this point, I have lost a huge amount of respect for these people who, have the audacity to demand more , when the rest of the country is having such a difficult time feeding their famlies and paying the rent.I think the social media outlets of today are exposing this, & other issues to the public on a daily basis which can only irritate the fan base even more than was the case in the last sports lockout/strike. I think the game is going to be hurt and this nine billion dollar pie is going to shrink much more than either side would ever believe !

97. trigdaddy says: May 14, 2011 1:49 PM

Angry? Not exactly. I don’t sit around pissed off all the time because there is a lockout

98. briguy5 says: May 14, 2011 1:57 PM

Nobody is mad because we really haven’t missed anything yet. Yes I know there haven’t been any free agency or draft pick signings, but the real fan anger won’t start to boil until actual games are missed (if we get that far).

99. kindbass says: May 14, 2011 2:00 PM

Angry? I’m not angry. It’s May.

100. packers1996 says: May 14, 2011 2:02 PM

the lockout is a disgrace to the game it only hurts the fans and they are arguing ovr a few billion dollars players get to see their family n rest while fans argue ovr stupid things goodell tries to sell himself as the savior of the fans but honestly he only wants more money just like the players it is getting ridiculous just settle at 1 billion instead of 2 billion its pitiful reminds me of the replacements movie when players wouldnt play for 5 million but wanted 7 million its always been about money n that will never change just settle the damn thing already n let football begin

101. urlacher2000 says: May 14, 2011 2:07 PM

If I am unhappy with a restaurant or store – – – I don’t revolt, complain or make a scene. I simply don’t go to that place of business anymore. I also tell my friends & family of my unpleasant experience.

Diehard NFL fans will return no matter what. It is the fans that have a different sport that is their favorite. Some people like MLB, NCAA, NHL, NBA or another sport the most. They are just casual NFL fans. These are fans that they need to worry about. When they get pissed…..they will spend their time watching other sports &/or spending their time &/or money on other sports.

I’m an NFL fan first. However, I watch many other sports. The last time baseball had a labor issue (can’t remember if it was a strike or lockout?) – – – I stopped watching, stopped going to games and stopped buying any MLB gear. Many, many years latter…….I still don’t have much interest in baseball. They lost me & may never get me back. I’ll never stop watching the NFL, but there are fans out there that will be “done” with football after this thing is over.

102. Topher says: May 14, 2011 2:57 PM

I’m angry that I lost free agency. Therefore I boo’d at the draft.

I’m now ambivalent. I’ve got yard work to do.

103. gobills716 says: May 14, 2011 3:08 PM

The whole lockout is about greed. greed by the owners and greed by the players. I can’t side with either party because they’re both to blame.

104. FinFan68 says: May 14, 2011 3:17 PM

toiletking says:
    May 14, 2011 12:25 PM
    ————————————
    It seems strange to you because you do not grasp the issues or you have bad info. The players were never going to take a pay cut. Remember the 18% pay cut mumbo jumbo that Smith was spewing? That was debunked weeks ago. There would have been no cut. The owners wanted to slow the rate of growth but the players would have been getting more money, not less. So, the “significant pay cut” argument is false. The owners have made concessions and tried to work out a sustainable deal while the players have failed to concede much of anything and then they added another volatile list of issues ON TOP of the CBA stuff that has yet to be discussed further. The NFL is not the only game in town. The players won’t exercise their right to leave for one reason…the NFL pays much better than the AFL, CFL and UFL. Why stay because of pay/benefits and then complain about those same figures?

105. tjrubleysaudible says: May 14, 2011 3:54 PM

If the NFL becomes MLB mark II I’ll stick to college football and give up watching the pro game. I can also watch high school football in my area at the schools or even on TV.

I gave up on MLB and I haven’t been to Miller Park once. I haven’t watched a game on TV since then or bought any of their merchandise. My friends and I used to love going to the old dump County Stadium, so I bet Miller Park is even better. Too bad the Brewers are nothing more than a farm team for the contenders, so I’m just not interested.

It’s very weird to think I’ll actually lose interest in the Packers when they have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning anything. But sports to me are entertainment and a hobby. I have other hobbies, and I am easily entertained.

I hope this is all resolved, and I hope the competitive balance is maintained. If it isn’t I think you greedy, pig-headed, spoiled rotten bast@rds on both sides of the aisle will probably lose a lot more of your fanbase than you think.

106. nflfan101 says: May 14, 2011 3:54 PM

theredbengal says: May 14, 2011 11:58 AM

Or they would be doing something about it.”

The better point is: what can the fans do when it’s left up to the courts?

What should we do?

What should I do?

———————————-

If fans, players, and PFT want football, then tell (FAX, email, twitter, facebook, snail mail, write post, write comments, publish blogs, yell, hand out flyers, etc.) D. Smith to get his butt into negotiations.

FACT: D. Smith walked out of CBA negotiations, decertified the union, had certain players file suit, and did not attend at least one of the court ordered mediation sessions. The owners have begged for negotiation.

107. tjrubleysaudible says: May 14, 2011 4:03 PM

Oh and why don’t we make our displeasure with the players and owners somehow known? Neither group gives a r@t’s @ss what the fans want or think. It’s all about the money.

“Casual” fans will not care how any of this turns out as long as they eventually get to watch football, competitive balance or not. For example, who buys most of the Super Bowl tickets anyway? It’s just a dang status symbol for people who go there and don’t even know how many guys each team is supposed to have on the field. Well, neither does Childress, but that’s not the point.

The point is neither side gives a s**t what we think, so why bother trying to let them know?

108. moondog7 says: May 14, 2011 4:22 PM

I could care less…. it’s May. NBA NHL MLB are all in full swing. Maybe it would be a big deal if this was August. I’m just sick of hearing about it. It is not anywhere near football season.

109. tommyf15 says: May 14, 2011 5:21 PM

FinFan68 says:

Oh, so the owners wanted to give the players more money.But the players must have wanted less money, so they turned the offer down. I get it now.

Are you insane?

110. snnyjcbs says: May 14, 2011 5:34 PM

I blame the players for the reason they walked out and put the whole thing in the Courts. With the Courts they are hoping to change the game of Football including the Draft, Free Agency and the like. The owners were talking and made the only proposal I know of. If the players responded I am sure the deadline would have been extended again so they could keep talking.

As far as revolting I have not renewed my 8 Season Tickets and told Direct TV to cancel my yearly renewal to NFL Sunday Ticket. My family and I will not spend a dime on the tons of NFL Gear we buy each year as well. I use to watch Baseball years ago, nothing like the NFL but I paid attention, ever since the Strike I have not watched one game and have not spent a dime on the sport.

I have found that I like my time I have found since the Lockout, there were so many other things to spend my time on that I was missing. The longer this goes the less I care and even if they do play I do not know if I will ever be as involved as I once was, GREED, it is all about GREED. Penny wise and dollar foolish, I had an old lady that use to take me for granted and I kicked her on down the road long ago, I have since met a long legged Blond I like a lot better.

111. someuncommonsense says: May 14, 2011 5:39 PM

Sorry for the book of a response but this whose on whose side is getting ridiculous.

As far as why fans aren’t revolting, why should we be? This lockout is a business issue, we are the consumers only, we aren’t gaining or loosing financially from anything they are doing. If we don’t get our football fix next year, so what, watch baseball in the fall, take your family out somewhere on Sunday, whatever. Now would it stink not having football, defiantly! But, would it be such an unbearable agony that we would need to do something other than let it take its course? No, defiantly not.

The only people who stand to lose anything from this are the players who will have to find some other way to pay their outrageous insurance rates on their homes and luxury vehicles, as well as the Owners, who will only have the opportunity for their businesses to net 4.5 billion in revenue rather than 9 billion (rough numbers). But I bet they aren’t as upset about that now that they don’t have to give over half of their earnings away to salary.

Now addressing the statement/question of “And how can you tell me your anger is equal or more toward the players if you’re really thinking it through? … You’ve gotta be mad at the owners…”

Let me preface this response with this statement. I do not know all of the intimate detail of this new CBA, I don’t know all of the issues or all of the arguments from either side, all I know is what the media has reported. Given that knowledge, or lack thereof, I will refrain from commenting on the intimacies of the Owners/Players debate and try to stay general with it.

Any other company in the world (Such as Comcast, Time Warner, General Electric) doesn’t have anywhere near that high of an operational cost for its employees. I think Comcast reported in 2009 that it had net earnings in the 30-40 billion range, and its operational expenses were around 12 billion. That’s between 30% – 40% of its revenue. The Owners are giving just over 50% of 8 billion (after their 1 billion is taken off the top) to the players, just the players! That is not even including the thousands of other NFL and team employees that the Owners are responsible for paying. Employees such as Coaches, training staffs, PR departments, camera crews, facilities, travel, recruiting, and on and on the list goes.) And for those who believe that the players are special and unique and unlike the employees of every other company in the world, I offer this simple piece of information, just as football could not exist without players, General Electric could not exist without employees. The reality is that financially the players are being treated like Kings and are still complaining because they believe they are entitled to it. And in light of that, I give this to all the employees of every company in the US, you are being shafted because you are getting 20% less total income then the Players/employees of the NFL. The NFL and the teams are private companies, so they don’t need to present any financial information to their share holders so it’s hard to know the exact numbers. Keeping that in mind, when I look at the broad numbers, it defiantly looks like the average owner (not necessarily the aggressive spending owners like Jerry Jones.) is making, at best, less than 2%. More likely the owners are breaking even when you consider what their overhead is. Now if I am an owner of a business that has been around for over half a century and I am just breaking even or around even. I am not happy about that.

When you juxtapose the risk-to-profit ratio for the owners against the players, it doesn’t even stack up. The owners have billions invested and are making just enough right now to keep it going strong. The individual player is investing his time (And not even that much as they get 3 months of off-season turning their work year into 9 months.) and his body. Not a small sacrifice but it pales in comparison to what the owners are investing. And if they are really that concerned about their body that much, they don’t have to play football, they can sell insurance or do something else. Now I will say this, these players are exceptional at what they do and when anyone is exceptional at what they do, they should be paid well for it, and inversely, if the owners aren’t comfortable with the level of income that they are receiving or the risk is too great for them, they can always sell their company. No one is making them invest their money in a pro football team.

But ultimately that idea brings us to this. We live in a free country. Part of living in a free country means that the Players/employees can strike when their rights are being infringed upon, they are being taken advantage of, or if they are unwilling to continue working in unfavorable conditions. Another part of living in a free country means that the owner of a company can lock out his employees when they are exploiting him, violating his rights as an owner, or the causing his company to fall into unfavorable conditions. (Personally the ruling of Judge Nelson is bogus to me, how can one group strike but the other can’t lock out? It doesn’t make any sense to me at all. Are owners and businesses not irreparably damaged by a strike in the same exact way that a player is by a lock out? But I am no lawyer or judge and those people make their money by forsaking what seems and is right and perusing a means to an end, and in-so-doing manipulating the intentions of the laws. Of course not all lawyers and judges are like that, but a great many seem as though they are.) In this instance, the appearance is that the owners have identified that the first person in their companies that should be getting paid, isn’t. Now they are trying to fix it by creating a new CBA that will allow them to manage their business better. It seems the players are upset that the owners actually want to make money from their business and are offended by the fact that the owners are treating them like employees, not co-owners and are doing everything they can to get themselves into a place of leverage against the owners.

For the idea that players aren’t purely concerned about the 9 billion and are also focused on health care and playing extended seasons and so on. Again, granted I don’t know the details of all of it, I don’t think the owners care about those topics much at all. I agree with the players, extended health care is great, give it to them, whose gonna pay for it? Players don’t want more games to cover costs across the board? Are players willing to sacrifice salary?

In conclusion to this broad statement by Silver against fans, I personally can’t see any way where I should empathize with the Players. In fact if you actually use some uncommon sense and think about it, the owners (As much as I hate to talk about billionaires as if they were something to pitty.) are being messed with by the collective bargaining and the courts and have every right to react however they want, even if that is shutting down football operations altogether until the players gain a little humility.

No, I don’t support the players, I agree with some things they want and I also agree with the idea of fighting for what you want and trying to improve your situation, for yourself and for those whom you precede. But the owners are the ones who need to get their way in this so called fight.

In fact the only thing that I am angry about is the use of the fan base as a plea for leverage in this pissing contest between the NFL and the NFLPA. We don’t care or agree across the board with either position, stop insulting our intelligence and stop using us as some pathetic leverage tool! DeMaurice Smith can shut his mouth and stop talking about the fan base and how the players are victims. He can stop saying how badly the players want to get back to football and how badly the fans are suffering because of it. Get your face off TV, get your name out of news articles, your words and opinions are as insignificant as mine are on this post! And every time I see and hear you I agree with the players less. (Frankly, didn’t the NFLPA decertify? Technically DeMaurice Smith doesn’t even have a job, why is he in litigation sessions? Why is he in courts alongside players? Legally he doesn’t represent them anymore as head of the NFLPA.) Roger Goodell, stop talking about it as well, I don’t dislike you as much as DeMaurice Smith, but this is a private business matter telling us you want to get back to litigation makes no difference so stop wasting your energy on the fan base, it doesn’t make a difference.

Bottom line, both sides need to stop being children, act like men and realize they could all be insurance salesmen. (No offense to insurance salesmen, but wouldn’t you rather have an NFL players salary?) Players and Owners alike, should count their blessings, gain some humility, sacrifice their pride, and work it out. If they can’t find a way to work it out, then give it up.

112. detlions says: May 14, 2011 5:43 PM

New Article Topic should be;

How can Angry NFL Fan Voice’s Be Heard?

Then we can all post our ideas, instead of complaining what side is right. I know, I JUST WANT FOOTBALL!!! THE OFF-SEASON IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THE GAME!!! So…the obvious would be a signed petition, but what leverage would that give us the fans. PFT needs to come up with a way where all NFL fans can have a unified voice with authority. Right now we all just sound like a bunch of kids crying to our parents asking to please play football.

113. bobbyd12 says: May 14, 2011 5:48 PM

It’s May, summer is just around the corner for most people, Football is in the back of most people’s minds. You fanatical football people who worry about football year round are the most concerned. The majority of fans just dont care in the month of May, that’s why you don’t see any revolts, now September, might be a bit different.

114. mizzouram says: May 14, 2011 5:50 PM

iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 14, 2011 12:12 PM

Players are replaceable, and are replaced each year.

—————————————————-
    You minimization of the players role of in the growth of the league is staggering.

THE BIGGEST REASON WHY PEOPLE WATCH THE NFL IS BECAUSE IT HAS THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD.

You think the owners could survive without the players? Then why didn’t the XFL or the USFL survive? They had rich owners but they had a product that couldn’t attract flies.

You are on crack if you think there isn’t another group of 30 super rich people willing to poor thier money into a product that has an established fan base begging to spend money on it.

There are plenty of players out there who would love to be in the NFL, sure, but there are a lot of opportunistic tycoons who would love to be in the football business too.

115. santolonius says: May 14, 2011 6:09 PM

if i could wave a magic wand and fiat in a solution that seems fair it would be thus:
    1) keep the same pay/revenue ration that is currently in place for a 16 game season.
    2) make some adjustments to increase pension and benefits for retired players.
    3) to pay for number 2, the top-paid rookies would have to give up some wages in their first year.
    4) go to an 18 game season (here’s where the owners get something)
    5) owners get 100% of revenue from 17th game to put in their pockets.
    6) 100% of revenue from 18th game goes to a fund for facility improvements to be divided equally by all 32 teams. (owners say they need more money so they can improve facilities so really this is money for the owners too.)
    done and done. thank you, send me a check.

116. bearsbulls34 says: May 14, 2011 6:13 PM

I’m very much pro-labor and pro-union, but I honestly don’t care anymore. I wasn’t at the negotiations, so I have no idea what to believe. I do know that Roger Goodell, De Smith, and every other person involved in these negotiations has their own personal finances in mind, and will continue to fight for their interests at the expense of the fans and the game.

117. kyle90 says: May 14, 2011 7:51 PM

This site has gotten really sensitive about comments that disagree with it.

118. axespray says: May 14, 2011 7:58 PM

stixzidinia says:
    May 14, 2011 11:54 AM

————————^

Sup Jay Freeley?
    Keep trash talking fans and hiding behind a fake signin name….I don’t see jerry jones calling fans idiots on this site.

119. nineroutsider says: May 14, 2011 8:12 PM

All I can do is not renew my season tickets this year after 10 years which I have done. No NFL Network or RedZone.

What else should we be doing? Rioting in the streets over pro football? Maybe the media will do it for us…

120. buzzbissinger says: May 14, 2011 9:30 PM

Look, I’m not going to get all worked up.

If they (the players, owners, NFL), can’t get their act together, they’ve lost me as a fan. Plain and simple.

Millionaires fighting with billionaires.

p.s. Silver is a douche, I’ll be damned if I’m going to listen to that A.H.

121. kyleortonsarm says: May 14, 2011 10:17 PM

I’m not angry. I don’t really care that much. NBA is the number one sport in America and it’s on right now.

122. belicheckyoself says: May 14, 2011 10:34 PM

Supply and demand control price and quality.
    In a big enough market, demand is constant and unaffected by quality.
    They’re arguing over a slice of the pie, in order to grow a bigger pie.
    WE’re the pie, but growing a bigger pie involves eliminating the market power we wield.
    Customers demand quality. Consumers consume.
    IIWII.
    A previous sociological problem eliminates the need for our money.
    That’s what you get for working hard for it.
    It’s an ugly paradigm.

[Read: Pink hats.]

123. goldsteel says: May 14, 2011 11:16 PM

That depends on the effect of the contract on the game of football itself. It has to protect the physical spirit of the game. There should also be mandatory selections in the wearing of helmets.

124. thefiesty1 says: May 14, 2011 11:51 PM

I’m only angry with Judge Nelson. If she had a brain this whole mess would have been over by now.

125. eaglelover1 says: May 15, 2011 1:35 AM

I side with the players. If owners are truly breaking even or losing money why hide the books? The owners opted out of the current CBA. The owners have pushed the salaries for players higher ie Haynesworth, Asomougha,. Rookies comming into teh league maing more than all star players. This is the owners fault. Most owners make millions every season off goods sold at stadiums they didn’t pay to build or maintain. Owners give family members 6 figure incomes just for being family members in the orginization.

Players are the product and the employee with each team being a different brand. If the Colts didn’t have Manning or the Patriots were without Brady would the product produced by the brand be the same? Would anyone really want to watch a team lead by Al bundy who scored 4 TD’s in high school? To be angry at players is just rdiculous. The player’s union had to decertify to get the courts to force the owners to SHOW PROOF OF ACTUAL LOSSES.

The owner do not want the public or the players to see their actual gains it would totally wipe out all credit the owners have in regards to truth to both the fans and the players.

To all those blaming the players for a the lockout remember this…. The cureent CBA was opted out by the owners with 2 years left on it. The owners were willing to allow this season to be lost as they had built a nest egg for just such an “emergency”. If the owners truly wanted this to go away all they have to do is TAKE THE CHAINS OFF THE DOORS AND ALLOW FOOTBALL TO CONTINUE WHILE IN NEGOTIATIONS. NEGOTIATE A NEW C.B.A. WHILE CONTINUING BUSINESS UNDER THE ONE THAT WAS ALREADY IN PLACE. Players have not stopped the offseason owners have.

126. db105 says: May 15, 2011 1:56 AM

Did I miss something? How many games have we missed? When’s the next game on the schedule?

127. erick670 says: May 15, 2011 6:37 AM

So you say we are not mad enough I for one am furious they need to just get it done already.I am talking about owners and players get your head out of your a$$ and GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

128. jo3jo says: May 15, 2011 7:03 AM

Fans know that however these idiots work out a deal, the real costs are getting passed on to the fans anyhow. If all players get a raise, it comes out of my ticket prices. If rules change that make huge disparities in quality of teams a big market team can put out vs a small market team, it’s the small market fans who suffer. So no, we aren’t really on any side. For the fans to have a real stake, there should be a deal that ensures that any new changes don’t get passed on to the consumer. Which won’t happen, but is at least more likely to be tempered if the owners, not the players, get their way.
    The best deal for fans — strict salary caps for players to ensure that a team cannot buy a championship (as they can in MLB), with incentive based pay for rookies (to avoid future Jamarcus debacles). And both ceilings AND floors for spending by owners, so the team is forced to try to be competitive every year. Passing some savings back to the fans would also be nice, but I don’t see that happening.

129. yesimfromwisconsin says: May 15, 2011 7:44 AM

Football fans who are upset with the owners and/or players over their failure to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement need to find a way to effectively show their own displeasure. Write all the letters and emails you want but it won’t amount to squat. I urge all fans to stop visiting ANY AND ALL web sites whose content is related to the National Football League. Clear these sites from your “favorites/bookmarks”. If web traffic at these sites goes into a freefall, it wont take long for players and owners to imagine what life would be like if TV ratings took a similar dive. Welcome aboard!

130. pigeonpea says: May 16, 2011 4:46 AM

toiletking says:

Who ever said anything about the players taking a pay cut? The elite players will still get their million dollar contracts. The owners just want less money earmarked for player salaries overall. A rookie pay scale, along with lowering the team payroll minimum, would go a long way into helping with that.

A more realistic example would be you going into your bosses office and asking for a raise. When your boss denies your request based on finances, you demand to see his books to “prove” that he isn;t lying to you. Why don’t you give that a try tomorrow morning and see how far it gets you?

131. diehardsaintsfan says: May 17, 2011 12:31 PM

I’m Pro-FAN, If it werent for the Fans, The NFL wouldnt have a Game to Profit from, the Owners wouldnt have Multi-Billion Dollar Franchises which EMPLOY the Players and PAY them Millions of Dollars……without the Fans, there is no NFL……Wheres my voice? Where’s my Cut of the Pie? Oh yeah I forgot, I pay all of you to play a game to Entertain ME! Walk a day in my shoes NFL, Owners, and Players……then you might realize what we FANS go through so that you can live the DREAM! GET BACK TO WORK!

132. bigbeefyd says: May 18, 2011 9:16 AM

bleedsoe9mm says:
    May 14, 2011 11:44 AM
    ******************************************
    Um, free agency has been affected already. OTAs should be going on this week. Rookie camps should have happened two weeks ago. Coaches (including Belichick) are already talking about reducing the playbook. the season IS affected. If the players fired De Smith and got in a NEGOTIATOR (not a litigator), this thing could be over in a week.