Ochocinco retires . . . from bullriding

Chad Ochocinco AP

Before he spent 1.5 seconds (and the video, posted by BlackSportsOnline,com, suggests it was about 1.45 seconds less than that) on the back of a bull, Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco suggested that he could be doing it again.

After he was thrown from Deja Blu like rain sliding down a steep tin roof, Ochocinco was singing a different tune.

One and done,” he said, per the Associated Press.

Ochocinco still earned $10,000 for making it out of the chute, but he fell 6.5 seconds (or, arguably, 7.95 seconds) short of the goal for winning a Ford F-150 truck and the ability to re-name the bull.

“I’m sure my coach was probably [upset],” Ochocinco said regarding the risk of serious injury that the player assumed.  “I mean, I would be, too.  I’m sure the NFL is [upset], but I don’t follow their rules anyway.”

Because of the lockout, neither the team nor the league can stop Ochocinco from riding a bull or engaging in any other risky endeavors.  And as risks go there aren’t many larger ones than riding a bull.

UPDATE: Here’s a video of Ochocinco before riding the bull, when he started to realize he was in trouble.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Ochocinco retires . . . from bullriding”
  1. perry1977 says: May 14, 2011 11:48 PM

At least he went through with it. 99.99% of the sallies that frequent this site wouldn’t have the cajones.

2. kom2k10 says: May 14, 2011 11:52 PM

wow… how can anyone take this guy seriously? I am predicting that he will be one of 70% of NFL athletes who are bankrupt after 5 years of retiring from football. He’s going to be juggling bowling pins on the side of the street for a few bucks once his NFL career is over…

3. MichaelEdits says: May 14, 2011 11:54 PM

I’m a “none and done” myself, but I’ll laugh at him (or with him) anyway. Child please.

4. kbrebner says: May 14, 2011 11:56 PM

Jesus Christ he came so close to getting killed

5. jackbassett says: May 15, 2011 12:01 AM

Not happy. Girlfriend asked why I can’t last as long as Ochocinco.

6. lasher1650 says: May 15, 2011 12:13 AM

This guy is such an attention-whoring turd. Funny that Ochocinco could only last uno cinco on the bovine.

7. freedomispopular says: May 15, 2011 12:17 AM

He’s such an idiot. But he’s pretty hilarious.

8. scytherius says: May 15, 2011 12:17 AM

I don’t mind this clown being a clown. More power to him. It’s when his clowning and self-aggrandizing negatively affects his team.

9. hobartbaker says: May 15, 2011 12:18 AM

Maybe if Och asked permission nicely there might have been a different outcome.

10. hedleykow says: May 15, 2011 12:21 AM

Ochocinco retires from bullriding after 1.5 seconds.

This won’t give much credence to the argument that NFL players’ careers are shortlived.

11. rayjayjohnsonjr says: May 15, 2011 12:46 AM

Not as good as ‘riden the bull as he is as ‘sayin the bull. What a publicity hound….would be a good fit for a Taco Belle drive-up window job.

12. p4ever says: May 15, 2011 12:54 AM

Chad is cool as ice! Hats off.

13. valman61 says: May 15, 2011 1:08 AM

I wouldn’t want Chad on my team, but I do like the guy. Yea he’s a diva and attention wh&$e, but he stays true to himself, he never gets into any real off field trouble (financial, legal, domestic, etc), and he’s definitely entertaining. As a die hard giants fan, I’d def rather spend a night chillen with Chad over Eli.

14. SenecaWallnutz says: May 15, 2011 1:11 AM

One thing is for certain…. He would make a good rodeo clown and he definitely full of bull.

15. berniemadoffsides says: May 15, 2011 1:44 AM

Funniest dude ever. How could anyone not like this guy?

16. goawayeverybody says: May 15, 2011 1:49 AM

Then again perry, 99.99% of the people that frequent this site have a higher IQ than Chad Ochocinco.

17. sdboltaction says: May 15, 2011 1:55 AM

In other more important news; the Playstation Network is coming back online a handful of states at a time! Which, thank God, these crappy lockout stories aren’t doing much for my thumb muscles as I sit here on my couch viewing PFT from my DroidX.

18. jstrizzle says: May 15, 2011 1:56 AM

You can say what you want about Chad but admit it, this is far more interesting to read than stories about Brandon Mebane and Dan Orlovsky.

19. lostsok says: May 15, 2011 1:56 AM

I’ve never been more impressed with Ochocinco. Just getting on that bull and letting them open the chute is an Epic:WIN in my book. People can talk all they want, but that takes genuine courage. That it was a vainglorious self-serving courage, sure, fine, so what?

I know a lot of humble people who wouldn’t come near that bull, let alone get on it. $10,000? I wouldn’t do it for a million flat and a date with Mila Kunis.

20. ramsfanjoe says: May 15, 2011 2:35 AM

Another chump bites the dust.

21. hobartbaker says: May 15, 2011 2:42 AM

Ocho jumped the bull on that idea.

22. nyctexan says: May 15, 2011 2:43 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!! im sorry but the man entertains

23. hobartbaker says: May 15, 2011 2:52 AM

Deja Blu hopes Och isn’t badly hurt or anything, but has no regrets about his reaction.

“I’m just hanging out by the bullpens when this strange looking dude with gold teeth, a shaved head, diamond earrings, and buttless chaps, sidles up to me, throws his leg over my ass, grabs me by the hair on the back of my neck and screams ‘Yeeha!’. Weird, just weird.”

24. johnnyb216 says: May 15, 2011 4:31 AM

Perry is right. I like ochos style here. Screw the NFL!!!! If they don’t want to honor their side of the bargain, why should he? And to add to perrys comment, I’m pretty sure that 99.9% of greedy NFL players wouldn’t have the balls to ride the bull either. Keep on kickin ass ocho!!!!

25. judgejuday says: May 15, 2011 4:48 AM

Perry1977 nailed it…

Takes balls to ride a bull, and flip the bird to league rules while he’s at it…respect.

26. cruells says: May 15, 2011 5:30 AM

Lets get Marvin Lewis on a Bull Vs. Ocho Cinco.. I would bet his fat ass would crack the bull in half..

27. agentcharlescarmichael says: May 15, 2011 5:34 AM

For a brand new ford truck and 10,000 dollars id do ALOT of things.

28. hauntedspawn says: May 15, 2011 5:49 AM

Well that might make 3 things he’s thrown off this year…Soccer team, bull, and the Bengals.

29. randy33872 says: May 15, 2011 7:11 AM

Is it just me or is it the longer the lock out lasts, the more entertaining this guy becomes? Thanks Chad, I really needed the laugh .

30. chatham10 says: May 15, 2011 7:16 AM

I just know that what he did took guts. It might be crazy but he loves the attention and many more of these type of attempts could be his last as he almost got stepped on.

31. r66x says: May 15, 2011 7:27 AM

Chad is an ok guy… he is out for a good time and loves to be in the spotlight. He isn’t hurting anyone and entertains us with his antics. I wonder what is next?

32. freddyfelder says: May 15, 2011 8:45 AM

buffoonery at it’s finest!!! You go to tell me he’ll risk his life and millions in salary in the NFL for measly 10k?? You out there clowning in front of the white folks!!

33. grpatriot says: May 15, 2011 9:21 AM

Ocho needs to grow up! Reminds me of a kid that didn’t get enough good attention…so he figures bad will have to do.

34. enders9 says: May 15, 2011 9:40 AM

lasher1650 says: May 15, 2011 12:13 AM

——————————–

Which is infinitely longer than you would last, considering you wouldn’t even have the balls to get on one.

35. enders9 says: May 15, 2011 9:49 AM

freddyfelder says: May 15, 2011 8:45 AM

—————————

He did it for no zero money. Everything that he “won” was given away. The money to a charity, and he is giving the truck to a twitter fan.

Riding a bull was something he wanted to do, so he did it. Just because you’re too much of a coward to do something like that, that doesn’t make Chad a buffoon for doing it.

36. freddyfelder says: May 15, 2011 10:22 AM

enders9 says: May 15, 2011 9:49 AM

freddyfelder says: May 15, 2011 8:45 AM

—————————

—————————————-

FOR FREE??? That’s even Dumber!! What if he got Gouge in the Heart???

37. kspl1 says: May 15, 2011 10:31 AM

Why all the hate for ocho. Do u know how many fans he takes out to dinner gameday Sunday’s. He buys tickets when the game doesn’t sell out in Vinci and gives them away so the game isn’t blacked out. He’s great for fans and he’s doing all his dreams- soccer, bullriding, and anything else that interest him. How does that make him a clown. There’s no reason not to like Chad. And when he dances in the endzone I like it, it makes the game fun, screw you lames for hating on him. Get a life

38. burghman says: May 15, 2011 11:56 AM

In PBR as in the NFL… all talk, no walk. OchoStinko, is there nothing you can’t fail at?

39. enders9 says: May 15, 2011 12:32 PM

burghman says: May 15, 2011 11:56 AM

————————

Chad’s NFL resume:
    Led the NFL in receiving yards
    Led the AFC in receiving yards 4 consecutive years (something no one else has ever done btw)
    Holds pretty much every Bengals receiving record
    7 out of 10 seasons of over 1000 yards. 1 of the 3 he fell short was his rookie season, another was last season where he missed the last two games
    10,000 yards in 10 seasons, which mean he is averaging over 1000 yards per season

There aren’t a whole lot of WRs who would be able to match that. Yes, now that he is 33 he is slowing down. But he has had an awesome career.

As for PBR, please show me anyone who can just on a whim say they want to ride a bull, and actually be riding a bull a week later and stay on for the full 8 seconds. I’d say the fact that he got on a bull with very little training was a win.

40. bengalsown says: May 15, 2011 1:13 PM

Man, everyone rips on NFL players for blowing their money, and now they’re ripping on an NFL player for spending three days training and riding a bull for 1.5 seconds and earning $10,000.

Sounds pretty smart to me.

41. hobartbaker says: May 15, 2011 2:53 PM

In the pre-ride video Och is already leaning to one side. I guess that is where the bailout started.

42. voyager6 says: May 16, 2011 9:17 PM

I guess they didn’t show Chad how to ‘ride’ the bull. At least the man, err bull stayed on top.

When the Bull says no, it means NO!!