Celek says Kolb deserves to play somewhere

As the Eagles attempt to get so much for quarterback Kevin Kolb that it makes us wonder why they don’t just make him the starter, one of his teammates in Philly says that, regardless of how it all shakes out, Kolb deserves to play, somewhere.

Tight end Brent Celek shared that sentiment during Friday’s PFT Live.

But it’s becoming more clear that Kolb won’t be playing in Philly.  Indeed, even though Celek said that Eagles players will gather this week to begin some on-field drills, he doesn’t believe Kolb will attend.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Celek says Kolb deserves to play somewhere”
  1. intherelikeswimwear says: May 15, 2011 11:43 AM

Life-long birds fan here, Kolb does not have what it takes. He’s not a bad qb, but has a weak ARM and gets rattled easily. I know he had a few 300 yarders, but in those games the eagles jumped out to an early lead and had decent protection. I don’t think Buck is the long-term answer either, but we need to get what we can for Kolb now.

2. backindasaddle says: May 15, 2011 11:45 AM

I think the Eagles would be very short-sighted to deal Kolb. Dealing Kolb would mean they’re convinced Mike Vick is a rock solid franchise QB for the next 5 to 10 years. That’s a humungous leap of faith in a guy that has proven to be untrustworthy. Maybe Mike Vick has been re-born and will stay re-born. I wouldn’t bank the franchise on it.

3. ezg1 says: May 15, 2011 11:48 AM

Reid still trying to find a SUCKER similar to Washington last season! For Christ Sakes, the guy has had six (6) regular season starts in four years. Andy hasn’t survived a decade in Philly by being stupid!

4. bluefan204 says: May 15, 2011 12:30 PM

If he is so good, and the Eagles are so convinced that he’s a franchise QB worth at least a 1st round pick, then why are they in such a hurry to dump him? Vick is made of glass, and as usual, he collapsed under serious pressure, not to mention that he’s likely gonna be done within 3-4 years.

Typical of the Eagles. Over-value everybody on the roster, and make idiotic decisions regarding the future of your organization. Par for the course!

5. schmitty2 says: May 15, 2011 12:58 PM

If I’m Celek I would pray Kolb stays in Philly because thats the only way he will get the ball

6. packerswambulance says: May 15, 2011 1:23 PM

Kolb=Rob Johnson 2.0

7. seabreezes51 says: May 15, 2011 2:49 PM

Kolb to AZ for Rodgers-Cromartie and their 2012 1st rounder.
    Day one of business.

8. mimitaroo says: May 15, 2011 4:01 PM

backindasaddle says:
    May 15, 2011 11:45 AM
    I think the Eagles would be very short-sighted to deal Kolb.

I think it would be very short sighted to comment without realising that if the Eagles dont deal Kolb, he walks away at the end of the season and the Eagles get nothing,

9. wenwon says: May 15, 2011 5:02 PM

i’m not a kolb fan but for those of you that say he doesn’t have the “it” factor and isn’t a winner, remember that they said the same thing about steve young early in his career.

i don’t know if he’s going to be a star qb but i sure like his attitude so far in his career. he wants to start but he hasn’t demanded a trade. that’s saying something about the guy.

10. dynasty233118488 says: May 15, 2011 5:05 PM

Brent Celek deserves to play elsewhere too…he’s a class act on a team full of selfish me-first cancers…and his me guy QB won’t throw him the rock.

11. oldbyrd says: May 15, 2011 5:18 PM

Schmitty, I hate to tell you but Celek is hardly in a postiion to say anything. He runs slower than molasas and has far to many drops. A good solid tight would help Vic or Kolb. Also his blocking leaves a lot to be desired.

12. loytomaki says: May 15, 2011 6:15 PM

People are crazy to be throwing Kolb under the bus.

He has 6 starts and was TWICE Offensive player of the week. Sure he looked bad in other games, but are you mad to say that he has shown enough for you ‘life-long bird fans’ to just ‘know’ he sucks.

Kolb represents what teams want Ponder, and Dalton, and other QB’s to be. A few year project, at the beginning of year 4 he was going to start which is how they should treat most of this years draftees. Of course Clay Mathews sacked him and he got a concussion (I seem to remember Mathews sacked a few people) and then Mike Vick began his near MVP performance.

Just because Mike Vick played better then Kolb last year does not mean Kolb sucks, Mike Vick played better then all but a few QB’s last year and would have taken over for many of them had he been on the same team and got a window to show his skill.

13. mick730 says: May 15, 2011 7:43 PM

Only time I ever saw the guy play was in the opener last season against the Packers. Based on his performance in that game, I’d say he doesn’t “deserve” squat. If somebody does give up a number one pick for the guy, it will prove that these is indeed someone willing to pay top dollar for beach front property in Arizona.

14. norcaleagles says: May 15, 2011 8:01 PM

BLUEFAN, Im assuming you’re a giants fan. If you are, your comment about Vick crumbling under pressure quickly reminds me of the Eagles 31-10 4th qtr comeback. And you cant tell me that it wasnt a big game because that game decided the NFC East division. Who REALLY crubled under pressure? And if you’re a cowboy fan, well. . .Vick lit your team up too. And to DYNASTY233, How can you consider the Eagles a team full of “me-first players”? Lesean McCoy is a great team player that I’ve never heard complain about getting or wanting the ball more. Jeremy Maclin quietly went about his business last season and put up 936 yards on 70 catches and 10 TDs. Jason Avant is a very humble Christian man who never runs his mouth brings attention to himself. And dont get me wrong, I like Celek too, but he cost himself a hefty fine and a penalty when he decided to do his Captain Morgan pose after a TD vs Dall. That seems kind of “me-first”, dont you think??

15. eaglesnoles05 says: May 16, 2011 11:50 AM

Tell it, norcaleagles…

16. bluefan204 says: May 16, 2011 3:00 PM

norcaleagles says: May 15, 2011 8:01 PM

One game. Vick has crumbled under pressure for his entire CAREER, and he did it again last year. He went to the perfect team for him, because the coach also falls apart in crunch time(unless, of course, the “crunch” is a 5 lb bucket of extra crispy chicken. He’s a real Champion in that scenario!)

Hope you’re happy with those division titles. Obviously, thats all it takes to make you thump your chest.