Former Packer Steve Wright sells Super Bowl I ring for $73,409

stevewright

Steve Wright, an offensive tackle who played for the Green Bay Packers from 1964 to 1967, has auctioned off his Super Bowl I ring.

Grey Flannel Auctions, which handled the sale, says the winning bid for the Super Bowl I ring was $73,409.

“To our knowledge, it is the only player’s ring from the first Super Bowl ever to be offered in a public auction,” said Richard E. Russek, president of Grey Flannel Auctions.

The Green Bay Press Gazette notes that some Packers fans became upset when Ray Nitschke’s son sold some of his dad’s Packers memorabilia, and there might be a similar reaction to this sale. But the ring was Wright’s to do with as he wanted, and he decided that he’d rather have the money than the ring.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Former Packer Steve Wright sells Super Bowl I ring for $73,409”
  1. kingjoe1 says: May 15, 2011 10:08 AM

Can’t eat a ring man…

2. whatsafairway says: May 15, 2011 10:08 AM

Old timers need cash too and for 73 grand, I agree with Steve, that’s probably more than he ever made playing.

3. jw731 says: May 15, 2011 10:12 AM

Who the hell would pay 73 grand for a Super Bowl ring, it has hallow signfigance to whomever bough it, not like they earned it….I guess the same idiots who pay for an authograph, written with a 19 cent pen, on a 1 cent peice of paper, and pay hundreds can relate…..

4. oldbyrd says: May 15, 2011 10:19 AM

Sure its a lot of money but, it can not be replaced. I stated many times on this blog that 80% of pro football players retire broke. Sad, and I can’t explain why. I wish him the best but,……he shouldn’t have needed the money. Who ever bought it didn’t.

5. philwauke says: May 15, 2011 10:23 AM

the nflpa eats their own….

6. duanethomas says: May 15, 2011 10:30 AM

More than likely doing it for retirement income, his NFL pension is squat and most people would do the samething. He is still a champion and no one can take away that he was on the team and played in the game. Besides that he probably got tired of eating cat food. Finally a Packer with some common sense, which isnt so common with them.

7. skoobyfl says: May 15, 2011 10:36 AM

Steve probably asked for a $5,000 loan from the NFLPA & asked who he was, that’s how they ride.

8. shawon0meter says: May 15, 2011 10:38 AM

Insulting the guy for possibly needing the cash? Things are a lot different for a player that retired 40 years ago compared to today.

9. tbtrojan says: May 15, 2011 10:44 AM

oldbyrd says: May 15, 2011 10:19 AM

Ever stop and think about how NFL players back then got paid peanuts, if Brady or Manning is broke later in life after earning tens, if not hundreds, of millions I would agree but this guy played in a totally different time, before all the money hungry players of today were even born.

10. brock29609 says: May 15, 2011 10:45 AM

Keep in mind the auction house takes (I think) 40-50% of the sale price, then there are taxes.

11. Wisconsin77 says: May 15, 2011 10:46 AM

sad

12. bleedblue18 says: May 15, 2011 10:46 AM

Dude is 68 yrs old, you can’t take the ring with you when you die I say good for him get that $75,000 for his ring. He can use that money to enjoy the remaining yrs he has left in his life. Maybe take some trips or vacations on his bucket list, life is short, enjoy every minute of it.

13. jim5283 says: May 15, 2011 10:47 AM

The average NFL Salary in the 1960′s ranged from 10k to 25k a year.

HOW DARE HE SELL HIS RING

14. realitypolice says: May 15, 2011 10:48 AM

Packer fans should mind their own business.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why someone should think that just because they are a fan of a team, they should feel free to spout off indignantly every time someone does something that offends their sensibilities, or something that goes against this mythical aura that they subscribe to what really is no more than a business.

And don’t come at me with your freedom of speech knee jerk reactions. I know they have the RIGHT to say whatever they want, I just wish they would have the COMMON SENSE not to kick this guy when he’s down.

15. EJ says: May 15, 2011 10:49 AM

Now your telling me that one of these million dollar earning players like Aaron Rodgers couldn’t shake $73,409 from one of his trees in his foyeur that shades his Moroccan tea set?

Come on rich boy…..
    Help out one of the pioneers of the game that made you what you are today…
    Mr. Steve Wright apparently needed the money bad enough to sell off his ring, help the guy out.

I know I would help him out if I had the money you do.

16. bigbeefyd says: May 15, 2011 10:57 AM

@oldbyrd – “he shouldn’t have needed the money”…REALLY? Yeah, you’re right, he totally should have saved th $30K or so a year that he probably made. If you make the same comment about Dez Bryant in a few years, I will thumbs-up it. But this guy played for peanuts in the 60s and 70s.

17. folkcrusader says: May 15, 2011 11:02 AM

************************
    He played in an era when guys made $10-20 thousand a year, only 2-3 times the average working salary. He played only 4 years. Financially he got a nice jump start on life, but it was far short of what is required to retire on.

18. ocgunslinger says: May 15, 2011 11:09 AM

All things being equal I am sure he would have loved to keep the ring as he earned it with pride. Reality of life is that players from earlier years have many physical and, as we have learned, mental problems as a result of the “Game”. Needless to say they were compensated at the time but with no real retirement or health plan of any consequence. No blame here towards his selling a ring to support himself or his family.

19. coachstram says: May 15, 2011 11:12 AM

Does Drew Brees frequent auctions???

Just wonderin.

20. henrypuppyhead says: May 15, 2011 11:17 AM

realitypolice says: May 15, 2011 10:48 AM

Packer fans should mind their own business.

———————–

Do you see a comment yet condemning the guy? Worry about that crap stadium of yours that looks like a 1950′s woody station wagon.

21. suckittrebek76 says: May 15, 2011 11:24 AM

The memories are worth more than a stupid ring.

22. realitypolice says: May 15, 2011 11:37 AM

henrypuppyhead says:
    May 15, 2011 11:17 AM
    realitypolice says: May 15, 2011 10:48 AM

Packer fans should mind their own business.

———————–

===========================

Umm….what are you talking about? Which team is that you are assuming I am a fan of?

I love idiot fanboy on here who assumes that every comment that may be construed as negative about their team must come from a fan of their rival.

Again, I don’t know what stadium you are referring to that looks like a woody station wagon, but I assure you I am not a fan of that team.

And my suggestion that Packer fans mind their own business was referencing the fact that they got upset when Nitsche’s family sold some of his stuff and requesting that if they are similarly inappropriately upset about this that they should have the common sense to keep it to themselves.

23. henrypuppyhead says: May 15, 2011 11:46 AM

Looks like those pesky facts got in the way again. Bummer that I completely destroyed your story there Michael David (fluffer).

How about manning up and showing and defending this drivel.

“The Green Bay Press Gazette notes that some Packers fans became upset when Ray Nitschke’s son sold some of his dad’s Packers memorabilia, and there might be a similar reaction to this sale.”

Took me all of 2 minutes cupcake.

24. birdsta1 says: May 15, 2011 11:50 AM

Should of save his money, I know he did autograph signings and memorabilia shows for added income. It’s funny how sympathetic we get for certain people while others deserve it.

25. henrypuppyhead says: May 15, 2011 11:57 AM

From Green Bay Press Gazette:

“The recent news that Ray Nitschke’s son was selling some of his late father’s memorabilia drew mixed reactions from Green Bay Packers fans, at least judging from some of the comments left on Kareem Copeland’s story.”

Worst comment from the comment section:

“I wished he did not describe the reason for the auction as “spring cleaning”. Ray is rolling over in his grave. All the blood and sweat to earn these items.”

The rest is “donate to charity”, “wish we could have gotten in on that”, “wonder if the Packer HOF would had a chance to get this”.

Yeah, brutal stuff there. Where’s the common sense?

I wonder how long it will take for this post to get deleted?

26. bsizemore68 says: May 15, 2011 12:08 PM

We don’t know what has happen in his life, its his business and we should mind our business and leave the guy alone, only he knows what he needs to do with the ring. Bill

27. garyman1 says: May 15, 2011 12:08 PM

Looks like one of the Vikings finally got their Super Bowl ring.

28. RussianBreadMaker says: May 15, 2011 12:50 PM

Should have taken it to Gold and Silver Pawn in Last Vegas (Pawn Stars).

29. coachstram says: May 15, 2011 12:57 PM

@garyman1……….Now THATS damned funny!

30. geo1113 says: May 15, 2011 12:57 PM

Very interesting. From the link we see the same price for the following: Wilt Chamberlain’s 1968-69 L.A. Lakers Playoffs game-used road jersey, $73,409.

31. whatswiththehate says: May 15, 2011 1:40 PM

oldbyrd says:May 15, 2011 10:19 AM

———————–
    You are 100% right and judging by the many thumbs down you received, it’s clear that this site attracts a “particular type.”

Sadly, many of these athletes don’t realize that they are a BUSINESS, not just workers. They have agents and other people who depend on them. And when it’s all said and done want and need to be paid.

Unfortunately, way to many of them feel that it’s just about going out and playing the game and making money. When they retire they have nothing to lean back on.

32. packers291 says: May 15, 2011 2:23 PM

tbtrojan says:
    May 15, 2011 10:44 AM
    oldbyrd says: May 15, 2011 10:19 AM

__________________________

Ever stop and think about the fact that he is human like the rest of us, and can get a real job? It’s not like he retires from pro football and then has to stop working.

Not to mention, the type of recognition players get in Wisconsin would make it easy to transition to an entrepreneurial role of some kind, capitalizing on the PR that comes with being a retired SB winning Packer.

Not that I’m judging him; I just hate to see the readers here assume that once he retires, he is completely dependent on a fixed income from the money he earned as a player.

33. schemefactory says: May 15, 2011 2:51 PM

because they’re publicly owned, realityturd. maybe that’s why?

34. jpmelon says: May 15, 2011 3:09 PM

The Packers should have bought it and displayed it. This buyer loves the Packers so much that he would buy a ring for 70K; such a person may also be in position to let the club hold it in a display case with their name (presented by…) next to it. It’s better than having it collect dust in a private trophy room or safe deposit box.

35. saxmachine69 says: May 15, 2011 3:56 PM

I thought Steve Wright played for the Cowboys?

36. cover2blitz0 says: May 15, 2011 4:39 PM

you can bet whatever material was in the ring wasnt worth 73k but you would think a first ever super bowl ring and it being a packer player would be worth more especially with the hoards of packer fans out there

37. stavreafavre says: May 15, 2011 4:44 PM

Packers291, I think it’s a pretty safe bet that at some point in the last 44 years he did have a real job. Unfortunately many jobs (more of them all the time these days) pay enough to let you get by and maybe save a little bit, but they scarcely offer you security. Tens of millions of us are just one hospital visit away from being not only broke but deeply in debt. Not to mention how much it can cost if you or your wife or husband has to go into an assisted living place. My father and mother had a lifetime of pretty good savings wiped out in less than five years that way. I’m sure this was an extremely difficult decision for Wright. I hope it helps him enough.

38. henrypuppyhead says: May 15, 2011 4:56 PM

realitypolice drivel:

———————–

Did you read the comments? I did. Here’s a little “common sense”. Know what the hell you’re talking about before flapping your gums.

39. commandercornpone says: May 15, 2011 6:44 PM

a little perspective here.

wright probly worked a lot of odd jobs after retiring from 10 years of football, didnt make a lot of money, has health issues (must be about 70), and finally broke down and sold the ring. could he have used a better nflpa retirement? sure. didnt read about him complaining about that.

keith mccants would have hocked it for fractional value years ago. and he is about 43 now, and jail-bound. and bitching about how money ruined him.