Glen Coffee returns to football, sorta

San Francisco 49ers 2010 Headshots

When we last heard from 49ers 2009 third-round draft pick Glen Coffee, he suddenly retired from pro football after finding Christ.

(He briefly found a jail cell a few months later, so we guess that was the last time we heard from him.)

Coffee didn’t like the life of a professional football player, but he still has the sport in his blood. So he’s decided to become a semi-professional football player.

Adam Rosenberg of the Northwest Daily News writes that has joined the Northwest Florida Falcons of the Premier South Football League. As a defensive player.

“I think I could have been a better free safety than a running back, but running back was the glory position. I’m excited to be able to hit some people,” Coffee said.

(Some 160-pound weekend warrior in the PSFL just peed a little.)

Coffee didn’t want to talk about what he’s done since retiring, although he is taking some online classes to get his degree at Alabama. He insists he won’t return to the NFL.

“A lot of people think that because I quit, I don’t like football or I have something against it,” Coffee said. “It’s not like that. As a recreational sport, I still dig it. It’s just not what I wanted to do with my life.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Glen Coffee returns to football, sorta”
  1. trbowman says: May 16, 2011 3:21 PM

God told him to try this league out, right?

2. trbowman says: May 16, 2011 3:25 PM

The NFL might need replacement players – there’s your opportunity Glen.

3. jjrs89 says: May 16, 2011 3:25 PM

Coffee? Wasn’t that the name of the monster tard in the green mile?

4. tyight says: May 16, 2011 3:29 PM

I wish I had his talents. I would do anything to have any opportunity to play in the NFL.

5. paulitik74 says: May 16, 2011 3:31 PM

Now that Singletary is out in San Fran, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him try and get on a roster after the lockout is sorted out. It’s really easy to say your content playing Semi-pro when you don’t have any options.

6. jakek2 says: May 16, 2011 3:32 PM

Who is more dumb -

This guy for pissing away millions or Ocho Cinco for riding a bull and getting tossed like the 190lb turd he is?

7. 4evrnyt says: May 16, 2011 3:37 PM

Wish he had decided that it was not what he wanted to do with his life before the 49ers wasted a f’n draft pick on this loser.

8. Southpaw says: May 16, 2011 3:39 PM

…like the drink…and it IS spelled the same.

9. cletusvandam says: May 16, 2011 3:45 PM

I guess getting arrested WAS what he wanted to do with his life

10. highwaiianjahwaiian says: May 16, 2011 3:49 PM

who cares..

11. grudenthediva says: May 16, 2011 3:51 PM

Yes, shame on the guy for not knowing before the draft that he didnt want to keep playing football for a caree, join the ministry, etc. God, how dare he get his priorities all wrong! Damn him to hell!! He needs to compensate every armchair quarterback in the entire San Fran area (or should that be, every armchair tight end…it is Frisco, after all?)

12. sf69ers says: May 16, 2011 3:58 PM

Why did liberal SF ever hire conservative Samurai Mike with his giant cross around his neck?

13. mrlynch33 says: May 16, 2011 3:59 PM

This guy was never gonna see any playing time behind Frank Gore anyway….The funny thing is I think he lead the preseason in rushing yards that year…haha what a waste. I wonder if he is still carrying around handguns for Christ.

14. wenwon says: May 16, 2011 4:01 PM

the “found a jail cell” comment is irresponsible and doesn’t tell the whole story. he was changed with a concealed weapon charge that was ultimately dropped by the district attorney.

i’m not a fan of coffee but let’s not taint the man’s reputation with shoddy incomplete reporting.

15. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 16, 2011 4:04 PM

He is a quitter that used religion as an excuse. He is a LOSER that already knew he couldn’t hack it with the big boys. But he is more than willing to be the star in a semi-pro league. What a turd and a hypocrit.

BTW Glen, most people “find” Christ AFTER getting locked up, not before, idiot.

16. The Chu says: May 16, 2011 4:16 PM

I don’t understand all the vitriol for what boils down to his personal decision. I personally feel that the money he could have made (or be making) is worth the sacrifice, but lots of better players than Coffee have left the game “too early”. Even if you don’t want to compare him to Barry Sanders in either skill or salary (Sanders already made millions), Robert Smith left the Vikings in his prime and during a very strong Minnesota Super Bowl push in the next few years.

He made a choice that he’d rather be happy than rich. And it’s not like he’d even be that rich. Agree or disagree with his decision, but there’s no reason for such derision…

17. corydscott says: May 16, 2011 4:24 PM

“It’s just not what I wanted to do with my life.”

^Left Alabama after his Jr. year to declare for the draft…

18. vsharp98 says: May 16, 2011 4:32 PM

What’s the big deal? If he doesn’t want to play with the big boys, that’s his decision. He’s not obliged to the NFL or their fans to maximize his talents. He can walk away from a contract the same way he can be dumped by a team. Whatever floats your boat.

19. friendlylittletrees says: May 16, 2011 4:35 PM

Turns out Jesus likes football, he just hates the 49ers.

Who knew?

20. tfbuckfutter says: May 16, 2011 4:40 PM

“I’m excited to be able to hit some people,” Coffee said.

That is very Christ like.

I believe that is from Jesus’ sermon “Kickin’ Ass and Takin’ Names”

21. ninerdynasty says: May 16, 2011 4:48 PM

I guess god couldnt keep paying the bills huh?

22. granadafan says: May 16, 2011 4:54 PM

What is it about religion that makes people nuts?

23. paulsmith107 says: May 16, 2011 5:57 PM

I get a kick outta all these idiots running their mouths about this guy being a quitter, giving up millions and not getting any playing time behind gore. First this is America he can do what the hell he wants. I’m sure some of you bitchy little turds have left jobs that you didn’t really like wether other people thought you were nuts. He was a third round pick so he wasn’t making millions. I’m tired of you ignorant fools saying these millionaires not everyone in the NFL makes millions. Finally u
    Gore is injury prone and coffee would have got a ton of carries like Westbrook did this season. People leave the NFL early all the time like Barry sanders I bet none of you tools made fun of him and so he found Christ well good for him at least he believes in something other than sitting around bashing pro athletes like any of you have Ever played a sport

24. gasolinejt says: May 16, 2011 6:15 PM

He sucked anyways. Who cares.

25. hobartbaker says: May 16, 2011 6:26 PM

When draft picks never make the starting roster then disappear after one season it is called “having a cup of Coffee”.

26. schmitty2 says: May 16, 2011 6:45 PM

paulsmith107 says:
    May 16, 2011 5:57 PM

so your a better guy by bashing people for having an opinion? Your on here posting stuff too moron. Did it ever occur to you that people might be implying that a guy with talent had the chance to make “Millions” threw it all away? So he found God..great that’s all fine and dandy but why put yourself out there and have a team waste a draft pick just so you can quit

27. skeeter1970 says: May 16, 2011 6:50 PM

This Jesus guy must not be very good at hiding.
    He’s found by someone every other day.

28. marksanchezsmustache says: May 16, 2011 7:28 PM

I guess Coffee is back on his grind

29. jjrs89 says: May 16, 2011 7:30 PM

Go Titans!

30. raiderapologist says: May 16, 2011 9:35 PM

Coffee was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, but authorities determined he lacked the motivation to commit a crime.

31. bsizemore68 says: May 17, 2011 12:46 AM

The only and last time a woman ask me if I found Jesus I said I didn’t know he was lose, can’t theses people keep there religion to themselves, it is none of her business if I have found Jesus. Bill

32. bsizemore68 says: May 17, 2011 12:49 AM

Perhaps if I ever see her again I will ask her if she found Satan,don’t think she would like that. Bill