John Beck thinks he’s a starter, glad McNabb is on the way out

Washington Redskins v  New York Jets Getty Images

Redskins quarterback John Beck believes he has what it takes to be an NFL starter, and he’s not afraid to say that he’s happy he may get that opportunity after the Donovan McNabb-Mike Shanahan relationship crashed and burned.

I have to say I’m glad it happened,” Beck said on SiriusXM’s NFL Radio, via CSNWashington.com. “If I want my opportunity, I have to have stuff like this happen so I can get an opportunity. If McNabb stays as starter of the Washington Redskins, I remain a backup, and I want to be a starter. So, I have to hope for things like this to happen.”

And make no mistake: Although many people think the idea of Beck entering the season as the Redskins’ starter sounds crazy, Beck doesn’t doubt that he can do it.

“I believe I’m a starter in the NFL,” Beck said.

In a surprisingly candid interview, Beck hit on a number of issues, including his struggles in his only previous chance to be a starter, in his rookie year with the Dolphins.

“I feel like I’ve been there when the crap’s hitting the fan,” Beck said of the 2007 season with the Dolphins. “Did it suck back then? Yes. But I’ve spent the last three years preparing myself mentally and physically so that when it comes up again, if it does, I’m ready.”

Beck said he’s already acting like a starting quarterback by taking actions like organizing workouts with teammates, and he said that if some teammates don’t view him as the starter now, they will by the way he conducts himself.

“I basically say, ‘Screw the awkwardness,’” he said. I’m trying to be the starting quarterback. I’ll call whoever, try to set whatever up. If you don’t think you’re a starter and act like a starter, your teammates aren’t going to think you’re a starter.”

As he’s champing at the bit to become the Redskins’ starter, Beck is upset that the lockout is keeping that from happening.

“I’m furious that I don’t get to be out there running OTAs, running minicamps,” he said. I’m pissed I’m not doing football right now because I want to be practicing.”

Beck also said he didn’t care whether the Redskins drafted or signed another quarterback, because he believes he’ll be the team leader no matter what.

“If they brought somebody in, my mindset was I couldn’t care less,” he said. “Just let me to go toe-to-toe with whoever they bring in. I believe in myself, and I never want to come across as somebody who is cocky or arrogant, but if you want to be successful, you have to believe in yourself. That holds strong in whatever situation you’re in. I’ve been through crappy situations, and I’ve tried to tell myself through this whole thing that I’m going to be a starter in the NFL.”

Permalink 87 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
87 Responses to “John Beck thinks he’s a starter, glad McNabb is on the way out”
  1. terrellochouno says: May 17, 2011 9:43 AM

I wonder how many people will view this is disrespect toward McNabb when, in fact, it’s the exact opposite.

2. getyourpopcorn says: May 17, 2011 9:44 AM

Honestly, good for him. I’ll be rooting for him. The Dolphins put him in a horrible position to succeed.

3. jw731 says: May 17, 2011 9:46 AM

Put on the wristband and suit up……The most dysfunctional organization in the NFL will start ya.. And i see he read the McNabb leadership handbook as well….Nice, win two games and you might get 100 million, playing for the Redskins is like hitting the lottery….

4. moochzilla says: May 17, 2011 9:50 AM

Be careful what you wish for Redskins fans!

5. calzone21411 says: May 17, 2011 9:52 AM

Is this what it has come to Redskin fans?

6. tombradysponytail says: May 17, 2011 9:53 AM

Ah John, you’re not acting like a starter, you’re acting like a child..

7. skins23 says: May 17, 2011 9:53 AM

Like I said in the John Beck thread from 3 weeks ago (before PFT reported it a week later), Vince Young will be the Redskins starter if the CBA gets settled by July.

If not, theres an outside chance of Bulger or Hasselbeck as well.

Beck will have a chance to compete for the job but is anything but guarenteed the starting position.

Rex has already met with Cinci and is likely headed out of town.

But you guys probably won’t even get to read this cause PFT gets butt hurt when I give better inside info than them and mention their name in my posts.

8. dequan81 says: May 17, 2011 9:55 AM

first off, what a tool? This dude comes off as a complete a-hole… I’m not Skins or Donovan fan, but if you’re as good as you say and think you are, you wouldn’t have to rely and pray on a coach/QB relationship tanking, that’s the sissy way of getting the starting job. You go out there and compete for your job. If you’re that good you win, if not you’re the third, which he was all year long.

9. southridge23 says: May 17, 2011 9:55 AM

This guy sounds like a champ…WAITING for someone to leave so he can have his shot instead of outworking and earning your way into a starting role?

He and Leinert should be bff’s

10. dansnyder says: May 17, 2011 9:55 AM

John Beck taking us to the Superbowl wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

11. tatum064 says: May 17, 2011 9:56 AM

all I saw was some dude getting smashed in the playoffs after the starter (Pennington) got ran out by a stifling Raven pass rush.

laughable….they’d be better off with Kyle Orton (who Shanahan coached at Denver). I dont know what is going on…its like Snyder is purposely trying to see how to spend the most money and get absolutely nothing.

12. mrplow3 says: May 17, 2011 9:56 AM

He just showe more passion in that short interview than Mcnabb has demonstrated in his entire NFL career.

I mean really, what interview in your memory of Mcnabb doesn’t include comments about being some sort of victim from either Reid, TO, Rush, Eagles fans, etc., or simply just acting like a goofy teenager?

I don’t know if Beck will actually be a starter but based on these comments I’d like to see him given the chance.

13. lazershow15 says: May 17, 2011 9:57 AM

Yeah!!! Screw the awkwardness, I’m a starter now too!

14. santolonius says: May 17, 2011 9:58 AM

sounds like the lad would like to be a starter.

15. touchdownroddywhite says: May 17, 2011 9:58 AM

This guy better hope he has a good run at some point this season or this will be the biggest joke since Hasselbeck’s, “We want the ball. We’re gonna score!” debacle.

16. zoxitic says: May 17, 2011 9:59 AM

Someone’s being reading some self-motivation books.

17. mindbender14 says: May 17, 2011 9:59 AM

Talks the talk. Now it’s up to him to walk the walk.

18. drop703 says: May 17, 2011 9:59 AM

One – You should never hope a guy does bad (especially if he’s on your team)
    Two – If John Beck was good enough to start, he would of had an opportunity somewhere (especially the Dolphins)
    Three – I do commend his effort and attempts at being a leader/starter but as a Skins fan, I hope that we pick up a QB (or two) via free agency and if he wins the competition then good for him.
    Lastly and most likely – He probably won’t.

19. tatum064 says: May 17, 2011 9:59 AM

“Beck turns 30 in August, and he has just four NFL starts under his belt. Jeff Garcia comes closest to Beck, but he had 10 NFL starts and four years with the Calgary Stampeders before breaking out at age 30. Eleven other QBs since 1980 have had their first 3,000-yard season after age 30, but they all had at least 16 starts before their breakout. That list includes luminaries such as Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Doug Flutie, and Phil Simms….no quarterback of John Beck’s age and experience level has broken out as an effective NFL starter since at least 1980.”

Keep in mind, he’ll be playing against db heavy teams like Philly and New York, and Dallas has re-loaded as well…Beck is delusional.
    Source; Rotoworld

20. tuckernyg says: May 17, 2011 10:00 AM

As a Giants fan, I’d love to see him start.

21. alphaq2 says: May 17, 2011 10:00 AM

I have no problem if we give the kid a shot. If he is horrible then we will be in the Luck sweepstakes. Parcells drafted him high in the second round. The Shanahans really like him too. So I am fine with starting him. I think it’s funny that everyone says he was 0-4 as a starter. He was a rookie on a 1-15 team. Wasn’t the number 1 receiver Ted Gin Jr? Peyton Manning couldn’t have righted that ship.

22. brawltimore says: May 17, 2011 10:00 AM

Big talk from a perennial 3rd stringer.
    John, you’re the starter by default cuz free agency hasn’t opened yet.
    You sat on the bench with McNabb while Shanny unleashed Rex “the dragon” Grossman.

Don’t let it get to your head.

23. lucky5934 says: May 17, 2011 10:00 AM

Good for him. The jury is out on whether he can be a successful starter. But he is working towards being a leader. If he can back up his words with some results, Washington may have found a leader at QB. Something it hasn’t had in years.

24. ezmoover says: May 17, 2011 10:02 AM

“I have to say I’m glad it happened,” Beck said

The guy sounds like a real team player. Not the selfish individual that fans think most NFL players are today. (/sarcasm)

25. thetooloftools says: May 17, 2011 10:04 AM

Beck is a joke.
    Talk about an overinflated opinion of one’s abilities.
    I suppose he hopes QB’s in front of him get hauled off on a stretcher too… that because his lack of talent will not allow him to win the job outright.
    I wouldn’t want a guy with that additude any where near my locker room.

26. pdxpanther says: May 17, 2011 10:04 AM

This guy would rather be given the starting QB job rather than work hard and earn it? Rex Grossman started over this guy, what does that say about Mr. Beck?

27. chatham10 says: May 17, 2011 10:05 AM

I like it when a person is honest, I get tired of these guys always saying the right things instead of what they really think. I know that golfers always hope for the best from other players but we all know they all hope they miss a putt or drive it into the lake. I know they all do not want somebody to get hurt but to fail or move on which will help them, of course they are human.

28. simplesimon1 says: May 17, 2011 10:06 AM

Couldn’t possibly play worse than McNabb. I appreciate the effort when he was still young, but he simply doesn’t have it anymore. When you get badly outplayed, and I do mean badly, by Rex “I can’t hit the side of a barn” Grossman, it’s time to realize it’s over.

29. chapnastier says: May 17, 2011 10:06 AM

I wonder how his wake up call is going to feel?

30. laeaglefan says: May 17, 2011 10:07 AM

The Redskins would be better off pulling Joe Theisman out of the broadcast booth to be their starter than to give the job to John Beck.

31. skinsman2121 says: May 17, 2011 10:08 AM

I’m a BELIEVER John Beck…..HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

32. 52sackmachine says: May 17, 2011 10:08 AM

John Beck? You kidding me? John Beck, as the starter would have the redskins looking up at the rest of the teams in the divison standings. One thing to say is the redskins don’t know how to produce a elite, or franchise qb.Trading for Mcnabb was the laughing stock of the leauge. More amusing than the Favre Fiasco. Hail to the Redskins,,ok maybe not!!

33. baddegg says: May 17, 2011 10:10 AM

I have mixed feelings about this interview. On the one hand, I really like his confidence and take charge attitude. I think that can be good in a QB and it’s critical for him. Face it, every expert and fan basically thinks he’s backup material; he needs to have this attitude to keep plowing forward and who knows, it may make him successful?

On the other hand, I do not like the comment about being happy about someone else’s downfall. Even if he feels that way privately, he should keep it to himself. Instead, he should be saying stuff like, “I don’t wish ill on anyone. But now that I have an opportunity, I’m going to go for it. And I wish Donovan the best.” Otherwise, he sounds a bit like a jerk.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year with Beck.

34. boysroll says: May 17, 2011 10:10 AM

this is comical…talk about totally dysfunctional. I bet this joke of an org goes with this bum too.

Man is 30 yrs old and some many other teams have evaluated him and see he is not a franchise QB. This might shanarat and companies last yr when they finish 2-14….LMAO.

35. hail74 says: May 17, 2011 10:10 AM

Had the opportunity to hear the interview live and he had everyone fired up, a refreshing change for a skins qb. Before the haters start posting, realize we skins fans know the team is bad and we’ve been saying for years the team needs more youth and fewer fa’s. Not saying beck is gonna be a franchise qb but plenty of obscure qb’s have done so before.

36. meso0rnery says: May 17, 2011 10:13 AM

Good for Beck. At least he has the right attitude to be a leader… Now lets just hope he has the skills to help the Skins become a contender in the Division or better this year….IF we have a Season…

37. seatown12 says: May 17, 2011 10:14 AM

wow some good news for eagles, giants, and cowboys fans taday! lol

38. La Milicia Negra says: May 17, 2011 10:15 AM

“If I want my opportunity, I have to have stuff like this happen so I can get an opportunity. If McNabb stays as starter of the Washington Redskins, I remain a backup”…

LOL, so he isnt good enough to beat McNabb, but he thinks he is good enough to be a starter? does that even compute??

39. mad55555 says: May 17, 2011 10:16 AM

John Beck as the Redskins starting QB….
    HAHAHAHA.
    Hey Redskins,
    The Eagles have another QB that you can trade for, but it will cost you two 1st round picks. What a stupid, pathetic organization.

40. miz18 says: May 17, 2011 10:16 AM

Not a Beck fan and certainly dont want him on my team, but I respect that honesty. Why is it that you nerds have a problem with anyone that speaks their minds? Knowing damn well none of you are pushovers in real life and are probably just as confident in whatever you do for a living/school?

It seems like the only QBs or players that are coddled are the ones that roll over and content being a face in the crowd. Ahh, the anonymity of the intrawebz.

I wish more players said what they felt and weren’t in that meek Brian Brohm roll.

41. geniusesq says: May 17, 2011 10:18 AM

Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Schaub are all guys who sat the pine for several years. So, this is the way he’s supposed to think. Maybe he’s been given some indication that he’s the guy. If so, good for him.

42. meso0rnery says: May 17, 2011 10:20 AM

tatum064 says: May 17, 2011 9:56 AM

————————————————————
    Shanahan didn’t coach Orton. Don’t you remember that huge ordeal with McDaniels trading Jay Cutler for Orton?…

43. lucky5934 says: May 17, 2011 10:24 AM

pdxpanther says:
    May 17, 2011 10:04 AM

——————————————–
    Dude, ever thought of working for PFT, that way you can pick and choose what you want to use to justify half azz comment. Did you miss this sentence in the last paragraph ““If they brought somebody in, my mindset was I couldn’t care less,” he said. “Just let me to go toe-to-toe with whoever they bring in. “??? Sounds to me like he is not backing down from comepitition than be “Given the starting QB job”. He was just appreciative of the opportunity. Just like any back up would be who wants to start. Fortunately for him. McCampbells soup sucked it up so bad that now Beck is a viable option to start.

44. skinsfaninnebraska says: May 17, 2011 10:29 AM

@lucky: you are absolutely right.

Everyone needs to read what he says: He’s not asking to be given the job. He said he’d be willing to compete against anyone for it.

45. realitypolice says: May 17, 2011 10:31 AM

Every player in the NFL who is not a starter is hoping the player starting ahead of him will leave or get traded. Any player who says otherwise is lying.

If you work for a company and desire a management position currently held by someone else, you are obviously hoping that person leaves.

Sure you may earn the position by being outstanding at your current job, but certainly you understand that your chances are greater if that person leaves or is fired.

Doesn’t make you less of a man, just means you have common sense and understand human nature.

46. skinsfaninnebraska says: May 17, 2011 10:32 AM

Having said that, he maybe could have been a little more diplomatic about Mc5. Something along the lines of “I’m sorry it didn’t work out for him here, but now I have my shot at it.”

Not a big deal, though. The guy definitely needs a chance to prove himself.

47. jamaltimore says: May 17, 2011 10:32 AM

This move will put Kyle Shanahan on the Map. Taking a scrub and making him an NFL qb.

I doubt the above will happen but sounds like something the Rat family would try and the skins are the perfect organization to do it with. Normally only players steal money from Danny, but now he’s got a old washed up coach stealing money while gambling the QB position to build a resume for his son. FAIL!

48. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: May 17, 2011 10:33 AM

If he said his problems on the Dolphins is that he said “I feel like I’ve been there when the crap’s hitting the fan.” Well what do you think is going to happen to you on the Redskins?

49. winkeroni says: May 17, 2011 10:34 AM

I thought today was May 17th not April 1st.

50. vaphinfan says: May 17, 2011 10:44 AM

I watched this guy play for the phins and he did get thrown into a bad situation. I’m sure he has gotten better but there is a reason why the phins gave up on him after one season and the jaguars did the same. If he is the skins starting qb good luck but don’t see it happening. But if he is and lights up the phins in week 10 i’m gonna be ticked….lol.

51. pdxpanther says: May 17, 2011 10:48 AM

Lucky,

He had the opportunity to go toe to toe with a has been QB and a never was and he couldn’t compete. It’s pretty sad that he’s happy one player is out the door rather than just taking care of his own business. Example, Ryan Fitzpatrick, the guy kept his head down, worked hard and got his chance. Beck got his chance, failed, and now is openly depending on others to fail in order for a second chance. The words viable option for a Redskins QB is a good one. Everyone acts like mike shanahan is some QB wizard because he coached Elway. Elway was going to the hall of game before shanahan got there, and yet shanahan is treated like he turned him into what he is. Either way, Resins will still be the laughing stock of the NFC East, and be irrelevant by week 9, as always. Whether Mr. Beck is starting or not.

52. skins23 says: May 17, 2011 10:48 AM

LOL, sorry, you can give me thumbs down all you want, but I know what’s actually going on with the Skins a lot more than PFT does.

Shanny gave Beck a nice endorsement and everyone ran with it. Shanny isn’t that high on Beck – Beck is virtually the only QB on the roster at the moment and Shanny has to show some faith in him. McNabb is gone as soon as FA starts and Rex wants more $ and more of a guarentee to start, which won’t be given to him, so he has already spoken to Cinci and Seattle.

Skins players have already said that Beck didn’t look good at the voluntary workouts that Fletch put together a few weeks ago.

Beck will be given the chance to compete but its likely hes not gonna be starting. Like I said (3-4 weeks ago in other Beck thread-go look it up) Skins will try and land Vince Young if there is enough time for him to learn offense.

53. meso0rnery says: May 17, 2011 10:51 AM

dequan81 says: May 17, 2011 9:55 AM

———————————————————–
    It doesn’t always work that way… Beck was put in a horrible position in Miami, then was shipped to Baltimore, where they are set at QB with Flacco. Then he went to DC where he was behind a newly acquired McNabb, and Rex Grossman, who knew the offense quite well, and was well liked by the OC. I get what you’re saying about “winning” a job, but sometimes you need some help getting the opportunity to legitimately compete for a job. I’m not saying that Beck is the answer, but as far as I know, he hasn’t really gotten a chance to prove if he is or isn’t.

54. billsfan1 says: May 17, 2011 11:08 AM

Nothing like being handed a job and not earning it………ask jp losman how that went…beck is no better than that

55. jbcommonsense says: May 17, 2011 11:16 AM

On the one hand, Shanahan knows his stuff, and he would not rely on Beck unless he was ready, or the Redskins were desperate. On the other hand, I’m almost sure it’s that the ‘Skins are desperate, so I really hope they pick up Orton or a veteran with equal skills.

56. kindbass says: May 17, 2011 11:16 AM

tatum064 says:
    May 17, 2011 9:56 AM

____________________________________

Uh…. Orton was still on the Bears when Shannahan was in Denver. McDaniels was the one that traded for him.

57. therealsmiley says: May 17, 2011 11:18 AM

Rooting for ya’ Beck! Hail!!

58. paul197343 says: May 17, 2011 11:25 AM

OK, So after the lock out ends, Danny trades Rex to Cincy for Carson Palmer, Beck gets his shot later in the season after Palmer get hurt (or booed off the field)

59. baddegg says: May 17, 2011 11:31 AM

mad55555 says: May 17, 2011 10:16 AM

John Beck as the Redskins starting QB….
    HAHAHAHA.
    Hey Redskins,

Newsflash: Eagles are not getting 2 first round picks for Kevin Kolb.

60. hendawg21 says: May 17, 2011 11:37 AM

Say what you want about the Skins but they aren’t in this top 10…

TOP 10 WORST NFL TEAMS ALL-TIME
    On NFL.com right now…..

10. 1990 Patriots
    9. 1968 Eagles
    8. 1989 Cowboys
    7. 1996 Jets
    6. 1980 Saints
    5. 1960 Cowboys
    4. 1990s Bengals {entire decade}
    3. 1972-73 Oilers
    2. 1976 Buccaneers
    1. 2008 Detroit Lions

And for those fans who believe their sh*t doesn’t stink um Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Patriots you made the list baby…

61. jw731 says: May 17, 2011 11:39 AM

He”s nearly 30 years old……with 4 nfl starts, and yet the skins idiots think, well hell……he got a raw deal in Miami……….He could be Great….This isn’t Staubach coming back from tour in the military, do you people ever actually think?…..he was a run of the mill college QB in a pass happy offense, and no i’m now cowgirls fan, but it’s no wonder Danny Boy can put crap on the field, you are stupid to realize it,,,goddamn

62. bigmikeskinsfan says: May 17, 2011 11:42 AM

amen to that baddegg…philthy fans make me laugh. cant win a SB but want to dog a team that is trying to make moves in the right direction.

im glad to hear beck say this…because honestly if he didnt i would be concerned he wasnt hungry for the position. doesnt mean i think he will get it but its nice to see someone WANT to win in DC.

63. gregjennings85 says: May 17, 2011 11:42 AM

This guy’s confidence is hilarious.

He will be 30 by the originally slated kickoff date, has played in 5 games in his life, all losses, has a career QB rating of 62.0, with 1 TD and 3 INTs, and has fumbled 7 times in those games, losing 5 of them.

64. phinfan says: May 17, 2011 12:08 PM

As a Dolphins fan. I for one wish Beck the best. I feel they should have kept him for another chance. After all we are giving Henne YET another year to sucKceed. Anyhoos… Beck (imho) played well against the Eagles in cold rain until the defense figured him out. Then he was totally yanked after the Pittsburgh sh*t-fest where the grass was slush and of course (rain) again. So Beck really had no time to succeed in Miami. Then give it to the tuna to have to sh*t-can him just because he wanted him gone then we proceed to draft a dude smaller than a running back named Splat White.

65. geemoney713 says: May 17, 2011 12:21 PM

Everyone that says he should just earn the job… Did Tom Brady earn his starting job? Did Matt Cassel?

There is rarely a time an NFL team just decides to take their starter and bench them because of a QB on the bench playing better in practice and ‘earning’ it.

Teams only change when a guy gets hurt, when the team is struggling, or when they draft a QB specifically to start him.

I think he’s just like ever other 2nd or 3rd string NFL QB that is hoping for a chance, because they know, and I know, that it can’t be earned. If it can be earned, then he’s clearly earning it, because Shanahan has decided he didn’t need to draft a QB and we’ll see if he feels he doesn’t need to sign back the guys that were ahead of Beck on the depth chart.

66. tonyalexander says: May 17, 2011 12:35 PM

Shanahan whipped up a batch of kool-aid and instead of drinking a glass, Beck stuck his whole head in the punch bowl. This is exactly what the Shanny’s wanted as it creates the illusion the Redskins are comfortable at the QB, going into the season. Beck, keep it up – talk to everyone you can about how excited (and ready) you are to be an every down starter in the NFL… watch for that swinging door that is going to smack you in the ass, post free agency QB acquisition. You will not be on the field to start the 2011 season, bank on that!

HTTR!

67. nineroutsider says: May 17, 2011 12:36 PM

He’s garbage, just like the team he plays for. Shanahan is far more washed up than I thought. His son calls a horrible game.

Here’s an idea for the Skins…stop recycling coaches! Maybe Gibbs can come back for another round…

68. imissnumber21 says: May 17, 2011 12:44 PM

Everybody is bashing him for not being a team player but I commend him for his honesty.Coaches dont always know what they have until they get to showcase their skills in a real game scenario.Brady and Romo were both backups until they got their chance.Im not comparing his skills to either cause I have no Idea.Don’t you think every player in the NFL is chomping at the bit to get his chance to start?He just admits it.I’m a die hard skins fan and this guy might be the worst player ever but Mike Shanahan knows a hell of a lot more than me so I say give him a shot.

69. amanistumor says: May 17, 2011 12:52 PM

Sounds like his therapy sessions with Stuart Smiley are paying off!!

Unfortunately for him he’s only going to be hyping himself up in a mirror as the backup QB, beit for the Washington Redskin’s or someother team.

70. finsbooyah says: May 17, 2011 1:07 PM

Let me clear a few things up… First, Parcells did not draft Beck, Cam Cameron did. Beck was awful as a rookie but did show occasional flashes of the ridiculous skills he showcased at BYU.

However, new regimes mean new Quarterbacks and Parcells and company drafted Henne. That being said, Beck was poised to win the starting job in training camp as the most talented QB between him, Henne, and McCown. Enter Chad Pennington, and Beck became the odd man out.

In fact, there were reports that the deciding factor in waiving Beck had nothing to do with talent. It was the perseption that he had zero leadership skills and was not respected throughout the locker room. If he has grown as leader, the Redskins might have themselves a player who has a chance to surprise alot of people.

71. wetgremlin14 says: May 17, 2011 1:30 PM

Really John Beck as a starter? He makes Trent Edwards look like Peyton Manning.

72. myeaglescantwin says: May 17, 2011 1:35 PM

i would just like to call the guy who THINKS SHANNY COACHED ORTON AN ASSCLOWN.

orton was in Chicago you idiot. McDaniels traded for him. get some facts jerky

I’m glad youre a washington fan. you guys deserve everything this season has for you

73. therealsmiley says: May 17, 2011 1:35 PM

mad55555 says: May 17, 2011 10:16 AM

John Beck as the Redskins starting QB….
    HAHAHAHA.
    Hey Redskins,

How about we give you a Lombardi Trophy for em’? That’s the only way you’ll get one. That would leave us with 2….Hail!!

74. adogdc says: May 17, 2011 2:02 PM

The LAST guy to think like this in the offseason was Jason Campbell…….

And he didn’t make it too far after that presumption.

Hail!

75. wetgremlin14 says: May 17, 2011 2:09 PM

Maybe Jake Plummer will crawl out of his hole to take the skins to a 6-10 season.

76. karlpilkington says: May 17, 2011 2:13 PM

I bet you NEW ENGLAND FANS had no idea who Tom Brady was before Larry Longarm got hurt.

Hey John, Im in. I do not believe it could be any worse than last year and if it is well you know who will be picked number 1 overall in the draft next year.

77. whatswiththehate says: May 17, 2011 2:21 PM

I’m all for honesty and being upfront but John’s way of getting the starting QB position sounds more cowardly than a man with some real confidence.

Sounds like he went to the ESPN school of character buiding..

78. simplesimon1 says: May 17, 2011 2:44 PM

Shanahan just sat up in his tanning bed and said “Who’s John Beck?”….. But he still likes him better than McNabb

79. tjrubleysaudible says: May 17, 2011 9:05 PM

Who is John Beck? Is he that crazy guy on the radio???

80. BAMNATION says: May 18, 2011 6:01 AM

this guy is a DB.

81. blackqbwhiterb says: May 18, 2011 8:48 AM

In McNabb and Grossman, the Redskins had 2 QB’s we KNOW are not capable of winning. Therefore, what do they lose by claiming Beck is going to be the guy? Even if they still don’t have a good QB yet, they’re getting rid of the bad ones, and that helps.
    Of course it sounds to me like they have a deal waiting in the wings for the contract dealing to be done, I hope it’s somebody young like Caleb Hanie or Matt Flynn, not another washed up old guy like Hasselbeck or Orton, or a mental case like Vince Young.

82. BAMNATION says: May 18, 2011 9:52 AM

If this guy believes he can only be a starter because a 30+ QB at the end of his career is no longer with the team, then how can he lead teh team and win on the field.

If he cannot beat McNabb in practice and the game time then how can he be a legitimate NFL starter?

It would be different if the team said Beck is the starter and McNabb is the back-up or gone all together.

But this guy is just trying to luck his way into a starting job without beating anyone…..

The Redskins will be the bottom of the barrel again in 2011 as they have no running game, standard WR help mediocre OL and DL.

This turd of a QB will not overcome that at all.

83. alphaq2 says: May 18, 2011 2:55 PM

Bamnation,

Beck was brought in at the end of training camp. Grossman already had a year in Kyle’s system and McNabb had to start after they gave up a 2nd and 4th round draft pick. They said all along that they were excited to get Beck and that both Kyle and Mike held him in very high regard.

There was no chance Beck was going to start last year with no knowledge of the playbook. Now that he has a full year of studying under his belt it appears the Shanahans were serious about their oppinion of Beck.

Maybe Beck will be a bust or maybe this is a smokescreen to make a play on a different vet QB, but again, there was never a chance for Beck to start last year. It just wasn’t possible.

84. BAMNATION says: May 19, 2011 5:00 AM

alphaq2,

true for last year but what about this year?

it seems pretty cheap for a guy to say he is a starter quality when another guy is on the way out.

plus Beck has never been a real starter in the NFL – do you think Miami prefers Beck over Henne? oh wait they already made thet decision…

a leader or competitor would say (w confidence), that whether McNabb is there or not, he is shooting to be the starter over all the other QBs on the roster

not taking a cheap shot that if McNabb remains then Beck is relegated to be a back up.

man up, take the competition and prove it on the field.

now can he beat out Grossman? Another SB starting QB?

85. dieselfan44 says: May 19, 2011 7:08 PM

All you haters come back here after Beck beats the hell out of your team and write about how ignorant you were…..sounds like a man on a mission to me…..HTTR!

86. BAMNATION says: May 20, 2011 4:14 AM

dieselfan – yes he has proved himself as a starter.

Doubt the Redskins will be better than ‘boys, NYblue or Eagles this season.

Skins have more problems then just QB anyway…

87. goriidskiiin says: May 21, 2011 3:40 PM

I will be honest with you, I kind of like Beck. I know I know, let me explain. As skins fans, we are so used to emotional tools and wusses playing the position. This guy sure can talk the talk. I hope he steps up. He seems motivated and does not care what people think

more power to him…for all you that think that grossman is the answer…well….shame on you