Looking at whether the Falcons have room for Ochocinco

Chad Ochocinco AP

Peter King believes that Chad Ochocinco will wind up in New England. D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution thinks Ochocinco could land further South, assuming the Bengals let go of him when the lockout ends.

Former Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski is now coaching the quarterbacks in Atlanta.

“Coach Bratkowski is the reason why I’m with the Bengals,” Ochocinco told Ledbetter over the weekend. “He was my coach at the Senior Bowl when I was coming out. He went to bat for me. They weren’t going to take me. But from what he saw at the Senior Bowl before the draft is the reason why he stood on the table for me and that’s why they drafted me.”

Whether Bratkowski would stand on the table now for Ochocinco is another matter.   We also don’t think the Falcons are necessarily a fit for Ochocinco following the trade for Julio Jones.

The Falcons have Roddy White, Jones, Harry Douglas, and Michael Jenkins at wide receiver.   Ochocinco would add a solid veteran option to the mix, but we suspect the Falcons like Jenkins and Douglas too much as role players to bother.

There is also the question about Ochocinco’s skill set and mindset.  NFL.com’s Michael Lombardi harshly rebuked Ochocinco’s play recently:

“Ochocinco can con America into thinking he is still significant as a wide receiver, but he can’t con the people who evaluate talent for teams in the NFL,” Lombardi wrote.

Yikes.  We wouldn’t go that far yet; we think Ochocinco can be a useful addition to a team. He just has to be a No. 2 receiver at this point, not a No. 1.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Looking at whether the Falcons have room for Ochocinco”
  1. jw731 says: May 17, 2011 10:24 AM

I believe, and i have trusted sources, as do most of these guys who act like the monkeys at the zoo, and throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks, that Ocho, will be running from angry bulls in Spain next season, you heard it here first……..

2. atlien698 says: May 17, 2011 10:38 AM

As Whitney Houston would say, “Hell-to-the-NO!”

3. touchdownroddywhite says: May 17, 2011 10:43 AM

I’m not keen on this idea, but perhaps if we let go of Jenkins, replace him with Chad on the cheap, and have him assist Roddy White in teaching Harry Douglass and Julio Jones how to hold on to the ball it wouldn’t be bad.

Give him a 2 year deal, if he gets one at all. I could live with that. Not sure he and Roddy White would get along though after last season’s little fued.

4. abengalfan says: May 17, 2011 10:45 AM

jw731 says: Ocho, will be running from angry bulls in Spain next season, you heard it here first……..

Hmm got me thinking, when a bull takes a dump does he turn around and think “I laid an Ocho”

5. seahawkhuskyfan says: May 17, 2011 10:45 AM

Palmer and Ochocinco are both coming to Seattle, haven’t you guys heard that?

6. dudicle says: May 17, 2011 10:51 AM

D-Led is an idiot.

7. philwauke says: May 17, 2011 10:55 AM

Who is we?

8. dudicle says: May 17, 2011 10:56 AM

About as likely as the Saints moving to Canada…

9. jw731 says: May 17, 2011 11:15 AM

@abengalfan
    —————————————
    not unless he picks it up and throws it………….like most who cover the NFL

10. terrellochouno says: May 17, 2011 11:20 AM

Did the Falcons hire Matt Millen on the down-low? Hell, while they’re at it, why not just sign Ocho & Randy Moss? And Braylon Edwards? And Santonio Holmes? And trade for Vincent Jackson? Seriously, this team didn’t get splattered by Green Bay due to lack of receivers.

11. p4hbiz says: May 17, 2011 1:06 PM

He would look Good is Silver & Black~

12. dynasty233118488 says: May 17, 2011 1:09 PM

I find it funny how ignorant fairweather fans only remember the GB playoff blowout and not the other 16 games they played…sometimes in football, things like that happen…GB was absolutely on fire…ATL’s defense isn’t nearly as bad as they were in that one game…they were 5th best in points allowed…I’m not saying their defense is amazing but it’s not nearly as bad as that one egg they laid against the pack.

13. spungy says: May 17, 2011 1:10 PM

This is all a ploy to get on Real Housewives of Atlanta.

14. wetgremlin14 says: May 17, 2011 1:23 PM

My Sources say that Chad OchoCinco will wind up playing for the Las Vegas Locos.

15. sfsaintsfan says: May 17, 2011 2:33 PM

Come on Falcons please add this guy to your roster. It would really help out with your battle for third place in the NFC South……

16. steelerskicktheravens says: May 17, 2011 6:37 PM

i think the falcons are a very underrated team.. but if they get him it will affect them for the worse.

17. axespray says: May 18, 2011 2:57 AM

dynasty233118488 says:
    May 17, 2011 1:09 PM

————————^
    they also took on the nfc west and browns/bengals….pretty easy to have a “16 game defense” until you match up against an ELITE Team like Green bay.